Concept: Big guns equals big trouble ahead?

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Bones8677

Hey guys, something I've been wondering about recently. 

In a game where right out of the blue you come across a big weapon, be it a gun, sword or an object. It signifies that immediately afterwards is a boss. Is this concept already on the site? And if so, what is it called?

For example, in FEAR you stumble across the multi-rocket cannon for the very first time, only to be immediately attacked by a huge mech, here that weapon becomes incredibly useful.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ch3burashka

Weapon + premonition = weaponition? 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" Weapon + premonition = weaponition?  "
Well, when this happens in a game you'll definitely be unprepared; so gun + unprepared = gunprepared.
Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheCreamFilling

@CH3BURASHKA said:

" Weapon + premonition = weaponition?  "

I guess it really is a... deadly premonition.    
schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By schizogony

This is definitely a thing and should have a concept page. 

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bones8677

Are we gonna have to come up with a name before making a concept page?

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Gun+Hunch=Gunch?

Am I trying too hard?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By iamjohn

This is the kind of thing that makes me wish we had cliches on Giant Bomb, too.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bones8677
@iAmJohn: well Concepts kinda fill that role.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Hamz

A name and a clear definition would be appropriate before creating a page.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iamjohn
@Bones8677 said:
" @iAmJohn: well Concepts kinda fill that role. "
I am of the mind that there are too many fucking concepts and we need to come up with some new damn categories to put things in.  Besides, Screened has concepts, too.
MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By MisterMouse
@TheCreamFilling: hahaha awesome.
rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By rateoforange

Not different enough from stock up area

http://www.giantbomb.com/stock-up-area/92-5393/

And you guys need to quit it with the portmanteaus. They're lazy and obtuse. If you said one of those words to another person they'd have no clue what the concept meant, and certainly no idea how to search for it.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bones8677
@Hamz said:
" A name and a clear definition would be appropriate before creating a page. "
Well regardless, I claim this unspecified concept! O_O
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's described on TV Tropes as Suspicious Video Game Generosity.

The greatest I've ever seen this applied was in two sections in Silent Hill 2.  One was an elevator loaded with ammo.  You usually aren't able to move in elevators, so you activate this big service elevator, it begins slowly moving downwards, and there is ammo everywhere.  Every video game instinct in you says you are about to get into a terrifying close quarters fight, so you get on edge.  The elevator goes down... down... down... after about thirty seconds it stops... and you get off.  But the entire time you are scared.  They did that with just ammo and an elevator.

The other part is before your boss fight with TWO Pyramid Heads... there is a save point.  But not just any save point.  There are NINE save points arranged on a wall.  The game is telling you in the most elegant and medium-specific way possible.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187
@CH3BURASHKA said:
"Weapon + premonition = weaponition?  "

Fucking...brilliance! 

Also, totally a concept I can get behind. 

Clear definition:  The instance in which a player is awarded with some form of either new and/or super powerful gun that is directly related to some form of fight that it has to be used in afterwards. 

That good?
Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Insectecutor

You talking about the health+ammo rooms before a boss? Restibule. Slaytrium.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bones8677
@Insectecutor: Not necessarily, I mean when you stumble upon a super weapon you've not yet encountered. Where as those stock up rooms are ammo for weapons you already have.  FEAR has stock up rooms too. But the time when you find the rocket launcher it's just sitting alone in the hallway.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jkz
@rateoforange said:
" Not different enough from stock up area  http://www.giantbomb.com/stock-up-area/92-5393/  
My feeling as well.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bones8677

Well if it's not different enough then it's not different enough. I didn't know there was a stock up room page. Maybe I'll go over there and expand that page to include this.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Insectecutor
@Bones8677 said:
" @Insectecutor: Not necessarily, I mean when you stumble upon a super weapon you've not yet encountered. Where as those stock up rooms are ammo for weapons you already have.  FEAR has stock up rooms too. But the time when you find the rocket launcher it's just sitting alone in the hallway. "
I'd say the stock up rooms are more an indication of a boss, usually a fight after getting a new weapon is an easy scrap so you can have some fun with your new toy. Dunno if that's true in F.E.A.R.
jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jim_dandy
@rateoforange:  Lazy and obtuse? Welcome to the English language.

Anyway, I really like Suspicious Video Game Generosity. Stock Up Area is more for ammunition, health, etc, whereas the weaponition/gunprepared is the convenient moment where there is a rocket launcher leaning on a crate and a helicopter appears about two seconds after you see it.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bones8677
@Insectecutor: Not really in FEAR in example of having easy fun after acquiring a new weapon would be when you take control of ceiling mounted turrets, killing everyone in the room. At very specific moments in the game. Where as the rocket weapon is supposed to be used for a boss encounter.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By thatfrood

Or, at least, even if you already have the gun, if you walk into a room where there is tons of ammo and spare rockets and grenades, you know for sure that something big and bad is coming up.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hamz

I've been thinking about it so I'll propose the following...

• Stock Up Area
Isn't exclusively used in video games to prepare players for a boss fight. Plenty of games have such areas upon entering a new level or coming to the end of one as well as actually having them after a boss fight, not always before one. In short the page is valid but it's a little misleading and needs adjusting to better explain the purpose of a stock up area as being that 'place' you can resupply at various points in a game.

Examples; In the L4D games you start each chapter in a safe room where you can resupply. In contrast to this you also have a 'stock up area' appear mid-way through each chapter (the gun & ammo table) as well as during the Last Stand portion of a chapter as well.

• New Weapon Introduction
My suggested name for a page which differs slightly to what was originally proposed in this topic. It would be a page designed to explain the various methods used by video games to introduce a significant new weapon / gagdget / item for players to use.

Examples; NPCs who suddenly provide the item to players just prior to confronting the boss on a level, Conveniently finding the weapon and upon doing so encountering a boss fight or having to confront and defeat a mini-boss or tougher enemy in order to gain access to the weapon.

In HL2 the rocket launcher is introduced by listening in on Odessa Cubbage's speech which is conveniently interrupted by the presence of a Combine gunship which you have to destroy in order to progress in the game. After this point the rocket launcher and ammunition for it is always available in areas where later on you'll encounter plenty of gunships or striders.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By DanielJW
@Insectecutor said:
" You talking about the health+ammo rooms before a boss? Restibule. Slaytrium. "
Slaytrium is pretty damn good. 
rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rateoforange
@jim_dandy said:
" @rateoforange:  Lazy and obtuse? Welcome to the English language. 
The point of language is to communicate ideas, not obscure them. If you want this wiki to be useful to anyone but community members, you have to keep your language as clear as possible. Isn't that the point of a wiki?
jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jim_dandy
@rateoforange:  Again, welcome to the English language. If you want to overhaul it, be my guest.

Introducing new words that become standard language (or even just for fun) is a part of that. Just ask the ghost of Douglas Adams.

As for accessibility, that would make TVTropes inaccessible to anyone but the community. I think the precedent is that people are capable of understanding simple portmanteaus.

EDIT: I thought about it, and I realized you are correct. Perhaps a portmanteau would be too vague. I agree that plain English would be better.

EDIT2: Then again, there is a tradition of using neologisms on this website that become more common and understandable. e.g. abilitease, or nobilitease
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#29  Edited By BeachThunder
mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mowgers

If I may? Warshadowing. (foreshadowing + Weapon of war, I know, I'm a genius)

And then, having contributed nothing of value, our hero vanishes into the night...

RuinRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RuinRunner
@rateoforange said:
" you guys need to quit it with the portmanteaus "
Awww... c'mon.  They're fun!  Yeah, we don't need to actually use them as wiki page names, but they make me laugh.