Just a little tip when making/editing a big portion on the wiki

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By matthew

Use your blog!  I've recently made a good sized page, and it took me a couple days.  If I try to copy paste from Word, WordPad, Notepad, they always seem to mess up the formatting and such I've tried to put in there.  I used my screened profile blog to save it step by step, put the pictures in there with their locations, headers, italics, bolds, and all those wonderful things we never really seem to have no problems with. 

So yea, when taking on a large article, use your blog!  It helps with the formatting and really cuts down on the editing and such.  When you're done, just copy and paste it all, and you should be good to go.   

Cheers mate.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By xMP44x

That is sheer genius. Nice idea bro. Is there a way to make the blog post private though or make drafts, so that others could not steal your work?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3  Edited By natetodamax

So it won't get all wonky and crap if you copy and paste from your blog? Interesting, I'll have to keep that in mind.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By matthew
@natetodamax: Nope, it all copies over.  But you have to remember, if you're saving your work in a blog over in screened, you have to make sure the pictures are also in the GB database.  So just be sure to upload the pictures you're going to use on both networks, so the copy/paste is that much easier. 

@xMP44x: Not that I really know of . . . I know you have the ability to post your blog to the forums or not, but I don't know if you can make it totally private...if anything, make an account on one of the other networks, and just don't befriend anybody, so nobody can tell if you've posted a new blog or not.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#5  Edited By natetodamax
@Matthew: Can't I just do it in a blog on Giant Bomb?
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I just always leave a tab open. Even when I turn my computer off, I'll just put it on stand by and keep the page I'm editing always opened in a different tab.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By matthew
@natetodamax: Of course you can, but like MP said, there is always the possibility of somebody stealing what you're working on, unless you're just working in one sitting, then the GB blog is totally for you.
Bolt3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Bolt3

Thanks for the heads-up! This may come in useful. I've been working on the Time Crisis 3 page and the formatting isn't great on it..

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By skrutop
@Matthew:  So I should just follow you on Screened so that I can steal your content and get some quests?  Cool!

...j/k :P
Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#10  Edited By Brackynews
@Matthew: Just curious if you have ever tried it using the Guides system? I know that the div ids and css classes in the Guides are different, so I don't know if it would work reliably.
But at least those can stay private and unpublished if desired.

I've used a lot of WYSIWYG editors online, and for all the teeth gritting moments I still think the Whiskey Powered sites have one of the best out there.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew
@Brackynews: The code generated by the WYSIWYG editor should be consistent, so it should be okay as long as you don't grab stuff that was generated by the guide tool.
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Thats a pretty neat tip. I always use word/pad, thanks for the heads up though :D

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Matthew: Nice tip.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By KamasamaK

I've always used my "About Me" as a sandbox.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By xMP44x

I imagine I'll likely use this idea, with the Guides system. Admittedly I won't be able to add different sections as such, but headers will do just perfectly. Thanks for the tip Matthew, but I'll change it slightly for my own uses, if you don't mind ;)

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By tmthomsen
@AlwaysAngry said:
" I just always leave a tab open. Even when I turn my computer off, I'll just put it on stand by and keep the page I'm editing always opened in a different tab. "
That sounds like a horrible idea. So when you decide to post your work, all edits done to the page meanwhile by other users will be overwritten...?
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@TMThomsen said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" I just always leave a tab open. Even when I turn my computer off, I'll just put it on stand by and keep the page I'm editing always opened in a different tab. "
That sounds like a horrible idea. So when you decide to post your work, all edits done to the page meanwhile by other users will be overwritten...? "
Uhhh... well...  

I don't really know.
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By matthew
@xMP44x: shhhhhhh, nobody knows that animevice isn't used...i'm BigHairyBallSac over there ;)
Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Zathic

Good tip, I felt bad for changing little errors I made since someone would have to take time to look it over

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Not a bad idea although I must say when I've been copying and pasting from Word into Firefox I haven't run into any problems with formatting, I did have that issue back when I used Internet Explorer though.