Name Change For "Moving Memo" Page

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

The gamepage is titled Moving Memo (Jp) while here in the West it's out and called "Flipnote Studio"

Yes it still comes up on search, but surely it would be better to re-title the page?

And where is Giant Bomb's review of this awesome software, or is Brad still staring at DSi clocks in some trance like state, still wondering where all the cool innovative software is...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Linkyshinks said:
" Thanks, but for whatever reason no threads in the forum are accessible now.. New threads can be created though. I have no problem with anyone deleting my threads if need be, it 's no big deal.

http://www.giantbomb.com/flipnote-studio/61-24930/forums/

"
A bug occurs when pages are renamed, and the forums break. The threads move location to the new URL, yet the links to the threads still go to the old location. It fixes itself soon enough
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

Right, I had considered that but wasn't sure..

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By jeff

Also, it's free. So there's no need for a review.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Jeff said:

" Also, it's free. So there's no need for a review. "

It didn't stop I GN giving it a full review, they obviously felt it deserved to be highlighted, hailing the software as a system seller.

Perhaps some official commentary from yourselves along with some of your finer creations when you get a chance.

Toekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Toekomst
@Jeff said:
So is it worth buying a DSi for? If not a review do a walk through/quick look of it and tell us what you guys think for it. I am one of the many DS owners who would like to know if this is the app that will push me over the edge to buy a DSi, your imput would be apreciated. 
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Toekomst said:

" @Jeff said:

So is it worth buying a DSi for? If not a review do a walk through/quick look of it and tell us what you guys think for it. I am one of the many DS owners who would like to know if this is the app that will push me over the edge to buy a DSi, your input would be appreciated.  "

If your someone with a strong creative spirit, I would say that it easily is. 

Seriously, don't waste your time, go to IGN and read their review. DSi clock coverage is what you get on Giant Bomb.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By oldschool
@Jeff said:
Whilst I am sure that your fans would come to your defence if they read this Jeff, but that is churlish, childish and downright pathetic.  Every time you write something I become more and more uninterested in what you say.  A site like this should cater for a broader market, but you write with the quality and demeanour of a teenager, not the good ones.   It is quite disappointing that whilst I enjoy the fora, this is the last place I go for news on anything - Wii, DS, PSP, PC or 360 (the ones I own and use).  Guess it is off to IGN and Gamespot as usual.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Hamz
@oldschool: I think you need to remember that a review for any game, from any site, is simply a way for the review site to essentially explain in some detail what a game is like. This allows the readers to get an understanding of a game and how certain mechanics or elements in it work out. Allowing the consumer / player to basically make a judgement for themselves as to whether a particular game is worth buying after reading a review of the game.

However if a game is free then there isn't much, if any, need to review it when people can try it out for themselves and not have to part with any money to do so. Sort of like someone offering you a fruit you've never tasted before for free, if it costs you nothing then it doesn't hurt to take the initiative and have a bite. But if you have to pay for said fruit then it may be worth seeing what others have to say. Understand?

I'm sure the Staff here do have some internal policies on what and how they review as well. But my guess would be as I explained above, if it is a free game then why not just go try it out yourself? You lose nothing, and have everything to gain by doing so.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Al3xand3r

Wii Sports came free with the Wii, but plenty of websites reviewed it... Why? Because it could, among other titles, convince people to get (or avoid depending on the bias) a Wii. Just like applications and other DSi extras can convince people to get a DSi, over a Lite. Ignoring what the platform offers, "free" or not (you have to buy one first!), is silly. Perhaps a review isn't warranted but an in-depth article is very much so... Especially since DSi offerings have been heavily criticized around here as Linky reminds us... Would they like it better and talk about it if it cost 500 points?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By oldschool
@Hamz said:
" @oldschool: I think you need to remember that a review for any game, from any site, is simply a way for the review site to essentially explain in some detail what a game is like. This allows the readers to get an understanding of a game and how certain mechanics or elements in it work out. Allowing the consumer / player to basically make a judgement for themselves as to whether a particular game is worth buying after reading a review of the game. However if a game is free then there isn't much, if any, need to review it when people can try it out for themselves and not have to part with any money to do so. Sort of like someone offering you a fruit you've never tasted before for free, if it costs you nothing then it doesn't hurt to take the initiative and have a bite. But if you have to pay for said fruit then it may be worth seeing what others have to say. Understand?  I'm sure the Staff here do have some internal policies on what and how they review as well. But my guess would be as I explained above, if it is a free game then why not just go try it out yourself? You lose nothing, and have everything to gain by doing so. "
@Al3xand3r said:
" Wii Sports came free with the Wii, but plenty of websites reviewed it... Why? Because it could, among other titles, convince people to get (or avoid depending on the bias) a Wii. Just like applications and other DSi extras can convince people to get a DSi, over a Lite. Ignoring what the platform offers, "free" or not (you have to buy one first!), is silly. Perhaps a review isn't warranted but an in-depth article is very much so... Especially since DSi offerings have been heavily criticized around here as Linky reminds us... Would they like it better and talk about it if it cost 500 points? "
This. ^

If it is available, then it should get some recognition.  If this site wants to be taken seriously as a games site, from a journalistic point of view, then it has a LONG way to go to get there.  A one stop shop should be the goal.  Until more people are available to write articles, in particualr, according to the speciality, then going elsewhere is essential unless you are an exclusive 360 owner.  Having everything except a PS3 from this generation (including PC), it isn't good enough. 

If you take a profressional, retail magazine like NGamer for example, they know how to do it right.  They have guest reviewers.  One of these was just a forum member who proved his writing ability.  This site should use the same method from what is a vast depth of talent.  Just like choosing moderators really.  These members could submit the article for approval, so as not to cross over with what the staff plan to write on.  Based on my experience of what has been published as an article on this site, there are many who could do an equal or much better job.  These people could nominate what they have a speciality with, so the site could pool the talent across the board.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@oldschool: You have to remember, Giant Bomb is a small site, with only 3 reviewers (and a couple of dudes who contribute reviews occasionally, but are usually more busy with site design and video issues) and therefore they have to prioritise what they review. They can't review every game that comes out, and they have to make tough decisions about what they spend their time on. And it's not just reviews, all the site content takes up valuable time, and they have to prioritise what the majority of the userbase want. Obviously they have decided that free games should take a back seat to full, paid releases. While you may disagree with this decision, surely you can understand that deciding what they spend their valuable time on is a tough choice. They are never going to please everyone, and unfortunately they have to use their best judgement to decide what sections of the potential audience to cater to.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Jayge_

Dudes... it's a free doodling application... priorities, you gotta maintain 'em.

Caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Caddy

Giantbomb should now write reviews for every single game out there! No more should games get shunned to the side! Heck, even free games and/or applications should get fully reviewed to let people know whether they should waste their 0 bucks on it. /sarcasm. 

Christ.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r
@Caddy said:
" Giantbomb should now write reviews for every single game out there! No more should games get shunned to the side! Heck, even free games and/or applications should get fully reviewed to let people know whether they should waste their 0 bucks on it. /sarcasm.   Christ. "
Having a sarcasm infused argument with yourself, as nobody event went near implying what you say? That's not very healthy.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_
@Al3xand3r said:
" @Caddy said:
" Giantbomb should now write reviews for every single game out there! No more should games get shunned to the side! Heck, even free games and/or applications should get fully reviewed to let people know whether they should waste their 0 bucks on it. /sarcasm.   Christ. "
Having a sarcasm infused argument with yourself, as nobody event went near implying what you say? That's not very healthy. "
English may not be your first language but... uh...
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

But I understand it better than you? Again, nobody implied anything he appears so condescending over in his post. That's just twisting people's points to his liking so he can pretend he has an argument against them and you know it. Feel free to pretend that's not the case, as usual.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayge_
@Al3xand3r said:
" But I understand it better than you? Again, nobody implied anything he appears so condescending over in his post. That's just twisting people's points to his liking so he can pretend he has an argument against them and you know it. Feel free to pretend that's not the case, as usual. "  
Not in 1000 years. The post made no sense. Re-phrased it's still rather weird, although I get what you're saying this time, even if you're wrong.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Calm down guys. There is no need for bitching and name calling.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks

Lets try to keep this thread untainted please, there's an underlying issue here which has never been discussed in any detail, and people including myself are pissed off about it.

The wording in my OP could have been better, rather than saying review, I should have said article, that's not to say I don't think this software deserves a review, because I think it does, I happen to think Jeff''s standpoint is pretty lame, for the reason others have stated. So a review of a game is only needed when poarting with money, does that also include aprying with money to buy a DSi, after choosing not to buy one after coming to the conclusion it was hit after reading shit.

This is all especially fucked up because of negative opinion that has been cultivated on this site via a shockingly weak article written by Brad [-a one time previews editor] not long ago. It makes this site looked fucked up when members see poorly researched articles complaining about no content [two months after DSi release], when quality content of this type is clearly now available. The very week after his shit, article, Mighty Flip Champs came out, yet there was no mention of the game on site in any capacity despite rave reviews which circulated  - this speaks volumes to the readership. 

What wound me up, was the knowing, of all the games that were due , games that were already out in Japan that would be later translated and brought over including this.

The underlying issue here is fuck all content for both PS3 and Wii on this site, this site is dominated by 360 content, and some members are rightly getting pissed off about it now. it's the reason why so many don't return to this site having signed up, They see a bias in the sites chosen content alone.

The team are naturally following their own tastes in gaming, they have no obligation to us and that's cool. However, If the team cannot provide the reviews and articles that many of us want, why not let the readership submit their own articles to be posted on the front page?. This site supposedly thrives on the content of the readership, so why not? 

I know would much rather prefer to see others given the opportunity than seeing shockingly weak articles written by Brad in whiny little kid mode.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Hamz

I'm locking this down since the original request to rename the page has been granted. Any continuation of the secondary debate going on in this topic may be done through an all new topic if someone wishes.