Question/Suggestion for 3:4 Ratio Videos

satansmagichat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By satansmagichat

I was just wondering why videos that don't need to be widescreen, like DS Quick Looks, Random PC Games, and the new Chrono Trigger Endurance Run, are still put in widescreen? I have a 3:4 monitor, and want to sit on my bed and watch, but I have 3 or 4 inches on the top and bottom missing (which I'm used to for watching movies), but I also have as much space on the sides not being used. Can videos not be cropped without all the side designs and then put into a 3:4 ratio for sources that use that? Thanks.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

I think it's nice to have standards and consistency, and they probably coded their website for widescreen videos. It makes life easier on the video producers if they work in only one format. DS and PSP games are recorded in their native resolutions, same with Chrono Trigger and Persona 4, so they put them in borders in order to keep it from stretching out and from blowing up and looking ugly.

I think the problem is that you have a 3:4 (I assume you mean 4:3) monitor, which is really uncommon these days. I don't even think you can buy them anymore, unless you're working on one of those high-end photography grade CRTs or whatever.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BrickRoad

I think you may mean 4:3...because 3:4 would be a bizarre resolution. Well..id's be 4:3 but...on it's side. Anyway... you could zoom in on your browser until the 4:3 image fits in your 4:3 monitor. Otherwise there's not much you can do, 16:9 is the standard now and really, the way Giantbomb do their 4:3 stuff works pretty nice.