REQUEST: Option to remove Facebook Connect button?

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yit

I do not use, and actively detest Facebook. I love GB, but I don't want a big button up in my control panel asking me to connect to Facebook. While I'm sure people will use and enjoy this option, for those of us who don't want to utilize it, can we get a switch in preferences to turn it off or hide it?

EDIT: Didn't even see the "share it now on Facebook" when you make a new forum post. Rather, can we have an option to hide all Facebook connectivity?

EDIT 2: Forgot to say, besides the Facebook stuff, LOVING the new code push!

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

Your post.  I agree.  All of it.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By rallier

Im with you, the way that horrible blue button pops up every time i load up a page makes me feel sad inside.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

I don't like it either but I simply choose to ignore it. I leave it alone and it leaves me alone.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Fallen189

No Caption Provided
Work harder and you can do it.
Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Liminality

I completely agree with you. Hate those social networks.

Tryed to remove it with ad block but seems like it's not possible.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hatking

I use Facebook pretty frequently... as in every time I turn on the internet, but I have no desire to share my posts here with my friends on Facebook.  Likely they wouldn't care anyway.  I too would like to be able to hide these buttons. 

Also everything else great job. 

Also also, I appreciate the option and it is well designed, but if you use a white layout you're a bad person.  Just saying. :P
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I use Facebook frequently so I connected my profile but for those who don't I'm sure it must be very annoying having that stuff constantly hanging around. I agree that there should be some way of hiding those buttons.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By snide

We'll likely add a preferences option within the next week or so, but for now there are bigger problems to solve. Not against the idea for logged in users.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pazy
@snide said:
" but for now there are bigger problems to solve. . "

Giant Bomb against Global Warming: The Telethon: The Comeback?
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By CornontheCobbe

It's a good idea for some people i guess. I don't mind it though, it's not bothering me.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm not interested in using it, but I don't really see what the big deal is.  It's a button no bigger than an inch, does it really bother people that much? 

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By rallier
@snide said:
" We'll likely add a preferences option within the next week or so, but for now there are bigger problems to solve. Not against the idea for logged in users. "

No Caption Provided
Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Liminality
@Pazy said:
" @snide said:
" but for now there are bigger problems to solve. . "
Giant Bomb against Global Warming: The Telethon: The Comeback? "
That would be awesome.

@snide said:

" We'll likely add a preferences option within the next week or so, but for now there are bigger problems to solve. Not against the idea for logged in users. "

Thank you!

We will wait.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pazy
@xobballox said:
" I'm not interested in using it, but I don't really see what the big deal is.  It's a button no bigger than an inch, does it really bother people that much?  "
Apart from peoples irrational fear of facebook, I dislike it strongly but I dont hate, there is the fact that it is the only use of blue on the page so it can draw the eye which takes it way from what you actually want to see.
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By matthew
@Yit: Immediately when I saw the complaint, I started comparing it to a substitute word.  Replace 'Facebook'  with 'Red,' and you have an argument nearly as valid as the one you posted.  Millions of people enjoy and use Facebook, just as millions of people use and enjoy the color Red.  Likewise, millions of people abhor Facebook, and ditto for Red. 

Just because you go out of your way to mention you " actively detest" a logo and what it represents, doesn't mean you have to complain about it.  I'm sure before AdBlocker came out, you found a way to tune out all of those pesky advertisements.  It might be because it's the only blue on the entirety of our beloved website that it sticks out at you so, but to state your personal preference have an effect on the content of the site seems a little bit over the top to me.  

*edit* 
I'm sorry Yit, I should've done this over PM.  I don't really enjoy being confrontational in a 'public' form like this, I'd much rather bring something like this to your attention in a much more discreet way.  As I think all conflicts should be resolved.  I don't really enjoy reading people ragging on the site and community just because they start to see arguments like this, and make assumptions based on the loud minority.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Pazy said:

" @xobballox said:

" I'm not interested in using it, but I don't really see what the big deal is.  It's a button no bigger than an inch, does it really bother people that much?  "
Apart from peoples irrational fear of facebook, I dislike it strongly but I dont hate, there is the fact that it is the only use of blue on the page so it can draw the eye which takes it way from what you actually want to see. "
I realize why people don't like it, but I mean, if it distracts someone more than a second, they're just actively looking at it to go "OH FACEBOOK, HOW I HATE YOU."  I don't know, I just don't see it as a big problem.

Edit: actually, I take this back, I just saw the huge logo at the top of a thread you create (I haven't made a thread since it launched).  That could definitely be annoying.
Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Yit
@snide:  I genuinely thank you sir. As for right now, I found that adding Facebook as 127.0.0.1 in hosts will remove the logo up top.
Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yit
@Matthew:  Hey, thanks for the edit, I appreciate this. Well, Dave said he should add a toggle, so everyone's happy, yes?

On a related now, I am actually a huge fan of Red.
Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Radar
@snide:  I say just move the box to the Login popup. Preference to get rid of the push to FB/Twitter would be great though.

Edit: I'm an idiot. It's already there. Kind of redundant to have it twice though.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By JJOR64

Now we play the waiting game.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yit

Sorry to re-up this. I love the quest system, but the constant "Make sure people respond! Crosspost to Facebook!" everytime I make a forum thread bothers me.

I understand the engineers have to iron out all the kinks in the quest system, but the next time a push is going out, if a simple toggle could be added in settings, that would be awesome. Love you all!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#23  Edited By LordAndrew

Some client-side CSS can hide the problematic elements, assuming your browser supports it. If you're interested, just say so and I could probably whip something up.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox

AdblockPlus on firefox has an element hider addon that works excellently. But it takes some configuring to make sure videos/ads work but facebook logos not show up (unless you don't use a filter subscription, but who does that?)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LordAndrew
@MrKlorox: Videos should still work as long as you're careful only to hide the appropriate elements. Identifying the appropriate classes and IDs can be difficult if you don't understand HTML though.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox
@LordAndrew:  True but only if the user does not subscribe to a filter list from the choices provided when you first install the extension. However if a filterlist is subscribed, they'd have to whitelist certain things to make videos work, instead of choosing "Disable on giantbomb.com"; which would make vids work, but would also prevent the element hider from working.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LordAndrew
@MrKlorox: Oh yeah, if subscribing you'd have to whitelist stuff to keep Giant Bomb fully functional. Or disable AdBlock, which of course makes element hiding through the add-on impossible. At least Firefox supports user CSS regardless of what other add-ons are active. And there are probably add-ons you can download that make CSS element hiding easier while keeping AdBlock disabled on giantbomb.com.