Scanning Instruction Manuals

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

I was thinking it would be interesting to scan the contents of instruction manuals for games and give them their own gallery, and it would be most useful for older titles where people might own the games but not the manuals for some reason (or it could just be interesting to look at, especially for old games where they give you a crazy story that you never actually see in the game). I wanted to check and see if this is allowed first though, or if it is looked down upon for some reason.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By shiftymagician

I wouldn't think there would be too much of an issue.  It would be a first for me to hear a negative response for uploading a manual of all things.  

Where are you mods?  Only you guys have bothered to know the answers hehehe.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By thebeast

While I don't think it's a bad idea at all, scanning and publishing manuals is of somewhat questionable legality, so I don't think us mods are likely to come to a decision without hearing something from the staff re their philosophies on this sort of content (whether they want to deal with removal requests, the legal issues etc.). 

I have a slight recollection that we might have dealt with a suggestion like this before, but can't remember or find the conclusion we came to - maybe another mod might have some idea what was decided back then.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheBeast said:
" While I don't think it's a bad idea at all, scanning and publishing manuals is of somewhat questionable legality, "
Yeah, that is my main concern. While the instruction books would be tied to the game pages that also feature screenshots and other assets from the game, companies are really weird about this type of stuff. Really, I can't think of why it would be an issue for them, but that doesn't matter to the companies that own these materials. I'll wait until we hear something from the staff, though. Thanks!
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I think it would be pretty awesome having that sort of thing on Giant Bomb, especially for older games. However I concur with TheBeast that possible issues with legality mean that we should hear the staff's opinions before uploading any.

It may be useful to PM some of the staff members (specifically Jeff, since he usually lays down the wiki law), and direct them to this thread asking for some input.

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Not_Rage

It's not allowed, copyright violation

" Game manuals are protected by copyright, and normally cannot be legally distributed online. The exception to this rule are translations of foreign-language (specifically Japanese) manuals for import gamers, which are very useful to the import gamer and have met with no known objections from copyright holders so far."
 http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/help/entry.html?cat=27

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

Not gonna bother repeating what everyone else in here is going to say since we all already know. But that aside, I like the idea. There's loads of abandon ware titles with manuals that come in pdf format so that's a step up.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By natetodamax
@Not_Rage: Someone should at least contact the staff before we believe any of the garbage written on GameFAQs.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iamjohn
@natetodamax said:
" @Not_Rage: Someone should at least contact the staff before we believe any of the garbage written on GameFAQs. "
My sentiments exactly.  We aren't GameFAQs, and frankly I don't care what that awful site claims are the rules.  If the staff echoes their statements, it will be one thing.
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK, I PMed Jeff about this thread; we'll see what he says about the matter!

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shiftymagician
@TheBeast said:
" While I don't think it's a bad idea at all, scanning and publishing manuals is of somewhat questionable legality, so I don't think us mods are likely to come to a decision without hearing something from the staff re their philosophies on this sort of content (whether they want to deal with removal requests, the legal issues etc.).  I have a slight recollection that we might have dealt with a suggestion like this before, but can't remember or find the conclusion we came to - maybe another mod might have some idea what was decided back then. "
I'm not an editor of this site, so have no idea of how the system works, but I am aware that their tagging system is pretty robust it seems.  How is the removal of content for this stuff a big thing to deal with?  You would think that you could select heaps of or the entire lot of pages relating to a tag, and  having a remove selected button to remove them all (with some secure permission of course), and updating any stats relevant to the contributors in question.  If well designed, it shouldn't take that many clicks and time would it?

The legal issues I would see as the bigger headache here.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iamjohn

I find it impossible to believe that someone would pull a cease-and-desist on Giant Bomb for putting up manual scans, especially for games that you cannot buy at retail anymore.  And things like Konami's NES manual debacles need to be preserved!

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By KamasamaK

Having a page of a manual may be covered under fair use, but reproducing the manual in its entirety would be copyright infringement. Since there is partial moderation involved with submissions, I'm not sure whether the site would be protected under the safe harbor provisions.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Hamz

Pretty sure it's illegal for the entire manual to be scanned page by page and uploaded to the site.

A few choice extracts may fall under fair use laws but scanning the entire thing would likely be considered copyright infringement. Even if the game and/or manual itself is extremely old I imagine the law(s) involved do still apply.

Until the Staff weigh in on the subject with a final answer I'd suggest everyone assume it is not allowed on the site.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I know that VG Museum has scans of quite a few manual covers, but just because someone else is doing it doesn't make it legal.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iamjohn
@Hamz said:
" Pretty sure it's illegal for the entire manual to be scanned page by page and uploaded to the site.  A few choice extracts may fall under fair use laws but scanning the entire thing would likely be considered copyright infringement. Even if the game and/or manual itself is extremely old I imagine the law(s) involved do still apply.  Until the Staff weigh in on the subject with a final answer I'd suggest everyone assume it is not allowed on the site. "
Even for games/manuals not being sold anymore?  You may be able to find Castlevania III or NES Metal Gear of the download services, but dammit, the world must know about madness like Higharolla Cockamaime and Paula Abghoul!

I could totally understand a five-to-ten year grace period, though.
Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Not_Rage

Even if you may not like Gamefaqs, that doesn't mean their lying about copyright laws.

Anyways, in a very old Bomb Should Have a Face, Jeff agreed that you shouldn't upload manuals since it's illegal. I think that's the closest to the staff chiming in on this issue.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Karl_Boss

That would be copyright infringement....but who cares I'm sure there are already plenty of other copyright infringements on this site.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#19  Edited By Brackynews

Worth mentioning that sites already exist for this purpose, and the quality is pretty good overall.  Also you can get official manual PDFs direct from the source more and more these days, check out the GFWL marketplace for several that publishers have provided. No idea if they've given permission to redistribute them, but hey you can ask permission. That's how it's supposed to work.

Speaking as an IP creator, and longtime student of copyright law (I Am Not A Lawyer Yet), the thing to remember is that there are no copyright police. A person or company must choose to enforce their intellectual property, which is why they hire lawyers to send out cease and desist letters.  Scanning a 48 page game manual is no different legally than scanning a 400 page strategy guide or a 200 page magazine.  They are copyrighted works and will remain so for decades, grace periods are a myth.  The fact that you can't buy a Zelda game manual or the game from Amazon is irrelevant, but Nintendo might choose to look the other way if they see no appreciable loss in a fan repository of manuals or music or magazine scans.  Until they come knocking, there's no problem, and many such repositories exist out in the open because stomping on people's hearts is counterproductive to happy customers. Remember NOA used to have a lawyer running the place.

Back in the day, I know of and worked at video game rental stores that did receive actual cease and desists from Nintendo, Sega, etc. because they were photocopying manuals verbatim for providing to customers renting those games. They could not stop rental stores from costing them money through rentals, so they targeted photocopying protected IP of the manuals as the only thing against the law, to say "we have our eyes on you", and those laws have not changed since the 80s and 90s.  Companies like Blockbuster and Rogers Video re-wrote instructions into a page or two for their game rentals in order to avoid this, and because original manuals always got damaged/stolen.  

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#20  Edited By LordAndrew
@Brackynews: Ah, I've seen replacementdocs.com linked on MobyGames. I haven't checked out the site myself, but it seems to have a decent selection from what I've seen on MG. 

And yeah, going to the source can indeed work. Want the Persona 3 Portable manual? Bam! There it is.