Will the GB Crew finish the Raid?

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I was wondering if you guys think the GB Crew will actually finish the Raid. They are ,as of this writing, at the final encounter. Their patience seems to be thinning and today is the last day for them to do it before the weekly reset. Will they come out on top or stay Dog Bottom?

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hope so too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are they planning on doing a last attempt today or were they going to try from scratch another week?

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By HeelBill

At the end of the last raid session, things seemed to be up in the air. Sounded like Jeff and Brad have some business stuff they need to get done during today that would require the Beast crew to do it fairly late tonight.

They also kind of needed Alex to get his power level up some which it didn't sound like he was going to have time to do.

If I were them, I would reset and try to do it in 3 parts. Should go faster since everyone knows what they're doing.

Or just forget it because it is really cutting into their ability to push out other content, lol.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

They haven't beaten it? Christ, is that normal? I don't understand how Destiny is so popular.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HeelBill

If they would have read up on it or had Brad guide them directly, it wouldn't have taken this long.

As for the appeal, its similar to World of Warcraft and look at how popular that game is, even with difficult to coordinate raids. Again, it's not content you have to do though.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FrodoBaggins

I'm not sure if they'll finish it, probably No, but man I sure would like them to devot 16+ hours to other games occasionally.

jmlamb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen this sentiment in a few different places; what games are worth 18 hours of coverage (other than endurance runs)? Part of the appeal of these streams is the trainwreck aspect. Personally hope they finish it today.

I'm not sure if they'll finish it, probably No, but man I sure would like them to devot 16+ hours to other games occasionally.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FrodoBaggins

@jmlamb: what games are worth 18 hours? Where do you even want me to start i could list a hundered right now and now even break a sweat lol.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

They haven't beaten it? Christ, is that normal? I don't understand how Destiny is so popular.

I haven't watched any streams so no idea how long they have been trying, but average teams should best the Raid in 12-14 hours or so their first time going in blind.

As for Destiny being popular, I can only speak for myself: it is the most fun I've had with any game in co-op and other multiplayer activities. Specifically the Raid, Trials of Osiris and to a lesser but still worthy extend the Prestige Nightfalls we've had so far.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I hope they get a chance to do it sometime tonight. I really want to see them finish it because it feels like if they don't finish it now they won't ever come back to it. I've only had a chance to watch parts of it and keep up with what people watching it have been saying on the Destiny Discord server due to personal going on's this past week but I hope to get to watch it sometime this week so I hope they can get it done. That feeling of finally finishing a Destiny Raid for the first time is pretty great, especially after such a struggle like they have had so far.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@liquiddragon: People really like going into Destiny raids blind and trying to figure it out as they go. As such, it takes them a long time.

People who know what they're doing will finish (and are finishing) this raid in about 2 hours.

To answer the OPs question - I don't think they'll end up finishing it anytime soon if at all.

shota00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Even if they did look up the mechanics ahead of time it wouldn't have saved them any time since it still requires proper execution. Half of their raid has zero experience in ANY raid. So it's normal for a blind group with raid newbies to not even do a full clear.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fezrock

Reading up on the mechanics in advance, like I assume most regular players do, would help cut down on the time. But my understanding is that Alex and Abby are also pretty badly under-leveled, and that's holding things back as well.

Anyway, to answer the OP, my guess is no; the logistics for today sounded too rough and I doubt they'll want to do it all again together. I bet Jeff will beat the raid off-stream sometime soon, probably with Brad and Brad's regular Destiny players, but that's probably it.

ETA: Of course, less than 5 minutes after I post, they announce they're trying again tonight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it's happening, sometime tonight.

MildlyPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dog bottom! I hope they can finally do it tonight!! Good luck team!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I have hope they will finish it. Don't know if they'll all be together when they do, since schedules can be rough.

spamfromthecan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that they registered dogbottom.com. Perfect use of money.

pandaloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should split up into east and west teams and each get 3 carries.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cmblasko

I believe in Giant Bomb. Think we need some The Raid 2-17 commemorative t-shirts or something after they finish it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's "happening tonight" I probably won't be able to watch it live, which sucks, since they will most likely start when it's 3-4AM my time, or later.
In any case, I have faith that they will do it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pandaloons said:

They should split up into east and west teams and each get 3 carries.

No. We win and lose together.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OurSin_360

I'm only an hour thirty into the second stream and can't believe they don't finish? man wtf is this thing lol.

@zevvion said:
@liquiddragon said:

I haven't watched any streams so no idea how long they have been trying, but average teams should best the Raid in 12-14 hours or so their first time going in blind.

Well unless they take some long breaks, they are already way over that lol.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't play Destiny (never had any interest in it), sooo my question to the ones that follow it is. Why is there a weekly reset?

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@vdortizo: This time they've decided they want to rotate the order of each section around for each Raid (hence why Brad said they were unlucky to start with the most complicated one to figure out) but also it allows them the chance to make balance changes, fix bugs or do maintanance. With it known to reset every week, there isn't the chance of some players feeling betrayed when Bungie decides to change things (because there is a pre-acknowledged routine of progress resetting). A lot of service games do this now: specifically building in downtime or progress resets to prepare the player base for any future happenings.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@oursin_360: They've taken a few 10-20 minute breaks here and there to eat or take Razor out or whatever. But it has been pretty much constant play other than some 5 minute bathroom breaks as well (this group takes bathroom breaks a lot more frequently than most people I know).

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very hard to say. Hopefully Abby can play from home, and a save a bit of time.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff pretty much confirmed it on Twitter that they are gonna give it one last shot

but a time today is still to be determined

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final boss does not seem fun. Too much relies on not being randomly popped into the air.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

The raid is actually quite terrible, in my opinion. Every other raid is a better experience from encounters to storyline. That being said, this raid is very mechanics heavy. The actual fighting is the easiest part of the raid. Everything else, which is more than other mmos/mmo-likes. After having beaten the raid cleanly once I can't really see myself sticking with the game much more if they don't do some cool stuff. Otherwise I'll just wait for the DLC. Had they released stuff like the "season 1 book" stuff now I would have an incentive to keep playing and filling stuff out.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vdortizo: Destiny has Weekly Resets so the game can change. The Nightfall Strike changes each week. The Raid resets so that if you've already done it you can redo it for more loot. Trials resets so that on each Friday it's a new Map. Xur resets so he has new stuff every Friday-Tuesday. If Destiny didn't have a Weekly reset you could never redo any of it's content if you had completed it. In other words about half of the content is on a Weekly reset, but stuff like the Campaign never resets (things you only ever want to do once). It is generally a very healthy thing for the game and allows players to more easily level up because all of the content that allows you to obtain the best gear in the game are on Weekly Resets, so you can do that same activity each week, even though it may have changed slightly. I hope that makes sense.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just FYI, it looks like the timer's started on the top of the site. About 1h44m from this post.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no way they finish this if they don't adjust their playstyle in 2 ways.

The outside team has to play more conservatively. Hiding behind pillars, using cover, asking for help, fighting from range. They can afford 1 death per cycle, the margin of error is low af. I get that some people prefer a more aggressive, in your face play style, but the raid demands you play a certain way(whether that's fun is another question).

The spooky slide team has to realize that there are imperceptible bumps(aka glitches) that will pop you up. Its not rng. If they don't take note of those and map a route around them, they'll be relying on pure luck every time.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not played one second of Destiny 1 or 2 but I am thoroughly invested in seeing them finish this raid. They got tired last time and started playing like shit, understandable. I think they can do it tonight, especially if a couple of them went and geared up a bit over the weekend.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that they registered dogbottom.com. Perfect use of money.

To be fair, no self-respecting company would call itself or even have an URL called "dogbottom," so I imagine the domain was quite cheap.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Yes(??????????????????????????). Not that it is worth devoting 14-20 hours into this dumb thing, but with only the boss left at this point, I imagine they will get it by brute force, and nobody will enjoy it, and if they do they must be crazy.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Live NOW.

DOG BOTTOM!

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sincerely hope so. I don't know if I can listen to them lose their will to play all over again.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sungahymn: Considering the insane number of alternate URLs that Waypoint has (all bought by the community per Austin), sometimes I'm surprised any URLs at all are left available.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It was a pain in the ass, my group spent a collective 22 hours beating it the first time, we were doing it the day it came out so we couldn't cheat even if we wanted to.

That said it was one of my favorite things I have ever done in a multiplayer game, Destiny unlike an MMO, requires a level of coordination well above that and to ask 6 people to work together the exact right way sometimes with No mistakes is intense and I can't wait till there is another one to do.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You gotta believe.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WOOO! that was an exciting finale.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't think they could do it. Congratulations. That was a challenging one the first time even for hardened Destiny fanatics.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@pyrodactyl said:

I didn't think they could do it. Congratulations. That was a challenging one the first time even for hardened Destiny fanatics.

I wouldn't say it was any more challenging than the other raids. It took us a similar amount of time for our first blind run as the others (and less than King's Fall I believe). The longest any first attempt raid took us was Hard Mode Crota with it's ill-conceived delta scaling to go along with major central in the final room. That was more than 20 hours if I recall correctly, like double what Leviathan took us blind.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

That was one of the most cathartic things I've watched the GB Team accomplish. It's up there with Brad's Mile High Club achievement. At a lot of points, I probably would have considering throwing in the towel. Big credit to the crew (and @vinny and @unastrike!) for sticking it out.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hestilllives19

@ll_exile_ll: Sad thing was Crota was pretty easy itself, it was all in the Delta Scaling and us dealing 35% less damage than at the correct level and taking 35% or whatever more. It was really dumb. I really enjoyed the 390 Crota's End, but I honestly feel like at the time Crota's End is the Raid that almost broke us. It's kind of funny because we pretty much destroyed Hard Crota's End pretty quickly and got that down, but that Normal mode kicked our rear ends. Pretty sure that's the Raid we cheesed the most because all of my guys were like "screw this Raid". We didn't do the Bridge Encounter correctly for a long time, and that isn't even hard, haha. We even did the lamps cheese a bunch where one player would shoot himself up to the top of the encounter via a lamp and then just invis till it was over. Neither of those were hard, even at the time.

dartell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Looks left, looks right, claps twice*

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dartell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl said:

I wouldn't say it was any more challenging than the other raids. It took us a similar amount of time for our first blind run as the others (and less than King's Fall I believe). The longest any first attempt raid took us was Hard Mode Crota with it's ill-conceived delta scaling to go along with major central in the final room. That was more than 20 hours if I recall correctly, like double what Leviathan took us blind.

I also think we are significantly better than were back then. I remember how clueless we were doing VoG. We really improved our PvE game since Taken King.