Questions about submitting to Wiki

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm new to this awesome site and I really like the Wiki feature which I'm interested in being a contributor, but I have a couple of questions first before I start.

So on the form one of the fields is "Short Description" for submitting Wiki pages, what goes in this field?

And another field on the form I'm confused about is "Why should we add this?" what am I supposed to type in this field also? Tips?

I need enlightenment thanks.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Wiki moderators will decide whether your contribution is added onto the site depending on what you write in those fields.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By liquiddragon

@aretilda: short description i believe is just a little summary of what you changed/added. why should we add this is why w/e you add is being added. maybe it's something new or not on the site or you're correcting something wrong.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

A short description is no more than a paragraph about the wiki page you're adding or editing. This is something that should easily describe the game and will appear at the top of the wiki page.

Why should we add this is a blurb only the wiki mods will see while deciding if they should add your new addition or not. Since we won't know every game or submission made you need to add something that explains why we should approve the new page. It can be as simple as 'its a newly announced game from ...'.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5 fisk0  Moderator

@aretilda: short description i believe is just a little summary of what you changed/added.

Short description actually becomes that header/paragraph just below the game title on a wiki page. When a wiki page is first created from the "create a new game entry" thing on the wiki games hub page it'll become a stub page with only the short description filled in.

An example of that can be seen at the Powerdrome page for example.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By aretilda

@aretilda: short description i believe is just a little summary of what you changed/added. why should we add this is why w/e you add is being added. maybe it's something new or not on the site or you're correcting something wrong.

Thanks this answers my question about the short description.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: you and the guy above are right. haven't done it in awhile and i was mistaken.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why should we add this is a blurb only the wiki mods will see while deciding if they should add your new addition or not. Since we won't know every game or submission made you need to add something that explains why we should approve the new page. It can be as simple as 'its a newly announced game from ...'.

I really have no clue what to type in it I've always had problems with answering these types of questions. I have a couple of games I'd like to submit them because I believe that they are awesome games, I'm afraid I can't think of any reason more convincing than that. I'd like some further elaboration please because I'm new to this.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aretilda: as long as it's a game for sell, the fact that it's not in the system is a good enough reason so that's all you need to write.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10 FinalDasa  Moderator

@aretilda: Basically what @liquiddragon said, if it's a game and it's not in the wiki that's usually enough. If you write "It's not in the wiki and it's awesome!" that's more than enough. Essentially that box is for concept pages or something specific, something that may not be instantly obvious why it should be added.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aretilda: Basically what @liquiddragon said, if it's a game and it's not in the wiki that's usually enough. If you write "It's not in the wiki and it's awesome!" that's more than enough. Essentially that box is for concept pages or something specific, something that may not be instantly obvious why it should be added.

Okay thanks.