Wiki rules on first edits

SuperMooseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SuperMooseman

When people first sign up to the site and start editing pages, I think on the first couple of times they should be present with an overlay pop-up box which lists some basic rules, like those listed under the Article Writing Tips section of the help page. After three or so edits, the pop-up will vanish and the rules can be accessed from a link on the bottom editing bar that is always shown for easy reference. On that note, here are some more rules I think need to be officially added on that list, rather than floating around the forums somewhere.

• Don't list achievements in the Wiki article
  • Try and adapt from what people have already written, rather than starting a blank canvas.
  • Images are there for a reason! Use them to spice up your article.
  • However, do not plaster your article with images - it is unattractive and not helpful. People can view the images folder for things like this.
  • Do not make things time specific, as they may not be changed and will then be incorrect to people reading in the future.

These are just a few from the top of my head. I was going to mention another suggestion, but it has completely escaped me. Ah well. Thoughts on this post?

EDIT: This wasn't my other suggestion, but please can a staff member actually go through the bug reporting forum and deal with some of the topics in there? It's 'bugging' me that my guide still isn't showing on the Recently Created Guide table after a week of it being live.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

Another thing I think would fit here is that while writing a wiki, try and remain informal but don't pepper an article with attempts at humour as it stands out. Just try to be objective and edit, edit, edit until what you have is interesting but still readable to people who don't know shit about what you're saying.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By MasturbatingBear

I see no problem with humor as long as it helps the article out. Am i wrong in thinking this? on some pages I will add some jokes or maybe a reference to add to the humor but it is still important to the actual page.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By StarFoxA
MasturbatingBear said:
"I see no problem with humor as long as it helps the article out. Am i wrong in thinking this? on some pages I will add some jokes or maybe a reference to add to the humor but it is still important to the actual page."
Yes. As long as the article is interesting, then humor is fine.