Do I Need To Play Past The First Area?

davidfox1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I’ve been playing Farcry 5 and, as per the game’s suggestion, went to John’s area first. A good time later, I’ve just beaten the boss battle and now it’s onto Jacob or Faith.

To be honest, I feel I kind of “get” this game. I loved 3, thought 4 was ok (but Pagan Minh was no Vaas) but 5... it’s a fun playground but I wonder if it’s got more to offer than what this first area has shown me. Is it just going to be a case of “do the same thing twice more”?

And the story... I’ve completely checked out. It’s almost tragic to see these writers try to scare me with a pretty lame main character (John’s now dead anyway). Actually, some dude called Joshua is the main bad guy? I don’t even know any more, it’s all so bland. In fact, I think *I’m* causing more trouble in this county than any of these dudes! Haven’t seen them do much tbh.

Anyways, back to the point... I’m looking forward to God of War... Is there much left in this game that I’m missing that’s worth it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The areas don't differ much. Faith's area is probably the most different out of all but personally I also found it to be the most annoying for various of reasons that would get into spoilers.

In any case things do not change up much, it's pretty much the same kind of gameplay loop you've experienced from beating the first area. Taking out outposts, doing the side stuff or story missions, etc.

And Jacob Seed is the main bad guy. I understand why you would mix them up since they all look like identical hipster douches with their well groomed beards.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By RIDEBIRD

If you don't enjoy the broken chaos of this game - especially the physics bugs - there is absolutely nothing in this game. It's an empty husk. Do not watch the cutscenes, the story only gets a lot worse. Don't try to make sense of it, it's probably the worst story/world building in a big budget video game in, well, at least a decade. All the areas follow the same formula.

Even with all that negativity, I had a riot with this game. The constant chaos, cougars out of nowhere, shit blowing up, all that stuff - it's so fun. Especially in co-op. If you don't like that, stop playing, there really is nothing else. Well, it's fairly pretty I guess.

davidfox1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boonsong: Haha yeah I’m glazing over the story by now. I’ve started a bit of Joshua’s area but maybe I should backtrack and do Faith’s if it’s different like you say.

Jeff came down hard on this game in a way many other GB staff seem to actually enjoy but yes, two things about this game he mentioned which annoy me and totally take away the main things I liked about previous games...

1. Silencers ARE broken! I know the copy says “makes you VIRTUALLY silent” but even from miles away, a sniper rifle shot alerts people.

2. The “this generic bad guy sent planes after you” system ruins stealth. I can’t sneak around outposts any more due to them.

Stealth is basically a non factor in this game due to the above points which is a shame as it was my favourite part of previous games in the series :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Oops apparently I glazed over the story as well because Joseph Seed is the name of the main bad guy. Jacob is the survivalist militia dude. I guess who the fuck cares anyway right, lol.

@davidfox1983: Yeah the silencers and stealth is really uneven in this game to the point of being broken as you say. I just recently started playing Far Cry 2 and boy it is much more fun and rewarding to snipe enemies from far away in that game.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, you don't HAVE to play anything. Generally, if you're done with a game, you're done with it. If you wanna drop it for God of War, go ahead. Ubisoft's feelings won't be hurt, they already have your money ?

Avatar image for deactivated-63c06c6e81315
deactivated-63c06c6e81315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@boonsong said:

And Jacob Seed is the main bad guy. I understand why you would mix them up since they all look like identical hipster douches with their well groomed beards.

*Ahem* Actually, it's Joseph, Joseph is the name of the main bad guy, I had trouble remembering which was which as well. And this highlights a bigger problem with the blandness of the character design and specifically how stupid it is to make the names of three of the four antagonists start with a J.

E: Whoops, you corrected that in another post, sorry.

As far as silencers go, far as I could tell, the gunshot itself is completely silent but bullets whizzing by and bullet impacts still alert NPCs. You want to make sure you hit your target in the head and that you're taking out isolated enemies. That being said, yeah, the stealth sucks and is worse than the stealth in Wildlands, for example.

Sinreaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I just think its really great that the description of the game at the top of the page calls him Joseph, then the first two posts call him Jonathan then Jacob. This story REALLY doesn't matter huh?