A/D Converter Box?

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By killacam

will a component to HDMI box actually make ps2 and wii (and its snes ports) look better on my led? or are these simply for tv's that lack analog inputs? just confused as to whether it will actually help with jaggedness and whatnot. thanks for the expertise.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Mirado

It won't make anything look better, that's for sure.

Whether or not it'll make things look significantly worse is up in the air. I'd stay away if you can just plug in whatever it does natively into your TV.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By killacam

but if my tv's native resolution is 1080p, and it's getting these 480 signals, won't it display them better if converted to its native resolution? DISCLAIMER: i (obviously) know not of what i speak.

newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By newmarcom

@killacam: Upscaling quality depends on the converter and the tv you're using. There are some tv's that can post-process upscale to make it look sharper but that might cause input lag.

acarab1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By acarab1981

SD signals always look like crap on HD displays. Nothing you can do about it except get an old ass TV for playing the classics on. Don't waste your money

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian

If you're not looking to spend a lot, this scaler is probably the best bang for the buck. It isn't top of the line, but it does a pretty good job for the price. It can also accept SCART RGB if you're not afraid of building a sync stripper and soldering up some connections. There's a more complete package in the form of the HD Box Pro, it's the same scaler, sans the ability to add SCART.

Of course, you'll need a TV that accepts VGA. It'll improve the picture by a bit and cut down on the input lag from scaling and deinterlacing the console signal. 2D will scale a lot better than 3D obviously, even more so if you toss in an SLG-3000 for some sexy scanline action. It still won't look as good as it does on a CRT though.