• 124 results
leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By leebmx

@Alex: Writing is definietely your forte, if I can say that without it sounding like a weird backhanded insult. You are the only person whose handiwork I can tell without looking at the byline because you have a distinctive, descriptive, biting style.

So if this is what you do best, why not do more of it? I would love to see you write less reviews and give us more editorial and criticism. Reviews just feel too restrictive and antiquated to stand out as proper piece of work, not that they aren't useful and informative. I would much rather read stuff from you along the lines of the pieces you used to do for Screened, like the Nic Cage stuff and the Netflicks queue series. They were really funny, informative and you could feel the passion, knowledge and love (and sometimes derision) for the subject. They kind of reminded me of when Jeff starts really talking about old games and the depth of his relationship with games comes out.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By leebmx

@NicolasVH: I'm gonna stop quoting cos its getting too long. Don't we get what you are asking for anyway. I feel there is generally at least one video per weekday plus some subscriber stuff, as well as the Podcast each week. Like says I wish someone would make a spreadsheet to end these arguments but apart from last week I think you are getting what you asked for.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By 49th

I'd like him to stop reviewing shitty games. It's a waste of everyone's time - barely anyone is going to really need a review about most of those games and it wastes Alex's time when he could be reviewing something people care about. There are so many games on the site which the guys talk about a lot on the Bombcast but still go without a formal review, he should rather be reviewing those than the licenced games stuff he sometimes does.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Shortbreadtom

@Yummylee: Oh man, I never thought of Alex TANG. That sounds awesome

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By alex

@leebmx: A thought: I'd been considering the idea of starting up some kind of weekly, Bill Simmons-esque column where I just spout off about whatever's going on in gaming. Nothing too structured, just a "pick a topic each week, talk about it" kind of thing. I think the only thing holding me back from doing it is the question as to whether or not anyone would read it. Granted, that's more my own hang-up than anything else, and I may just start doing it early next year to see how people react to it. Stay tuned on that one.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@hussatron

@Alex said:

... the only other Alex Navarro you tend to bring up on google is a fairly attractive female bodybuilder. I assure you, I am not her.

I'm not sure I believe you.

No Caption Provided
Alex, what has New York done to you?!
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#107  Edited By ProfessorEss

@leebmx said:

I would love to see you write less reviews and give us more editorial and criticism.

That's exactly what I was thinking too.

I'm not really into reviews and Alex's tastes are often so far from my own that it makes reading them kind of pointless but I usually read them anyways just because I enjoy the writing. I think random editorials would be perfect fit for both his writing style and this site.

Plus, if they were purely opinion pieces we'd get the added bonus of reading pages and pages of crazy comments!!!

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By leebmx

@Alex: Yes. Go for it. I think it is exactly what the site needs. Patrick's round up of good stuff elsewhere is great but I would love to see some of that type of personal editorial on the site and I think that was what was great about the pieces you did at Screened. Some kind of slightly longer pieces on whatever is grabbing your attention in gaming would be wonderful. I think the fact that you are slightly abstracted from the day to day running of the site in some way gives you the licence to take a wider, more personal view of the this subject. Like a kind of roving essay writer on games.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#109  Edited By wrighteous86

@Alex said:

@leebmx: A thought: I'd been considering the idea of starting up some kind of weekly, Bill Simmons-esque column where I just spout off about whatever's going on in gaming. Nothing too structured, just a "pick a topic each week, talk about it" kind of thing. I think the only thing holding me back from doing it is the question as to whether or not anyone would read it. Granted, that's more my own hang-up than anything else, and I may just start doing it early next year to see how people react to it. Stay tuned on that one.

Yeah, I've missed the editorial aspects of this site for a while (they used to dabble in it on and off when something big came up). I'd love to read editorials or opinion pieces from you on current events or recent releases, trends you've noticed, etc. Of all the people that work for GB, I think your style fits best with that too, though I also dig your reviews.

EDIT: Be prepared for the inevitable shitstorm of bitching and whining about your opinion though. That's bound to make you at least a bit hesitant.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#110  Edited By Slag

@Brendan: Well I imagine he has no equipment out there, but it would be nice if they could leverage his location somehow. New York is the heart of the business world, maybe something related to the business sides of Video games?

Doesn't gamespot have an east coast office? Kinda amazed they don't force him there.

He seems more like a freelance part timer than part of the core anymore. Which is a pretty common practice, but I do wonder if sparsely using him that way is the best bang for their payroll buck.

Light_Bahamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Light_Bahamut

Bring back "Burning Questions"!!

I kid. But seriously, as an old fan from your Gamespot days, a weekly editorial piece would be great. I don't care if it has structure or consistent topics or what. THat said, your Netflix series was hilarious on Screened. Maybe something similar, where you critique the banality of "popular" iOS games? I'm just spitballing here.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#112  Edited By Brendan

@Alex: Thanks for replying to the topic, I appreciate the insight.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#113  Edited By AssInAss

@hussatron said:

@Alex said:

... the only other Alex Navarro you tend to bring up on google is a fairly attractive female bodybuilder. I assure you, I am not her.

I'm not sure I believe you.

No Caption Provided

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!

Thanks for the really deep reply, I hope for more editorial content from you that isn't just reviews or funny video descriptions.

Just in case people have forgotten 's greatest video moment back in the day:

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#114  Edited By Jrinswand

I'm completely okay with Alex writing reviews and the occasional news/other interest column. It's probably just me, but I find his attitude on videos and podcasts to be kind of annoying. It's much more palatable in text form.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Alex: I'd definitely read it. That would be pretty rad.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#117  Edited By papercut

Giant Bomb East

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By clstirens

@Alex said:

Go for it. I don't always catch all the written stuff on GB, but it'd be great to hear more from anyone, really, at the office.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#119  Edited By Hunter5024

Has there been any mention of whether or not they're going to try and get him on the Game of The Year podcasts?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#120  Edited By Phatmac

@Alex: Thanks for responding to us. I'm all for more Alex on Giant Bomb. Hell, I'd love some video content. :)

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#121  Edited By buft

he should stand

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By cthomer5000

@dungbootle said:

Alex reviews an awful lot of games.

Alex also reviews a lot of awful games. Poor bastard.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By dungbootle

@cthomer5000 said:

@dungbootle said:

Alex reviews an awful lot of games.

Alex also reviews a lot of awful games. Poor bastard.

He does it for us!

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By NegativeCero

I would want him to make videos playing awful games because he already seems to review most of them.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#125  Edited By beepmachine

@leebmx said:

@Alex: Writing is definietely your forte, if I can say that without it sounding like a weird backhanded insult. You are the only person whose handiwork I can tell without looking at the byline because you have a distinctive, descriptive, biting style.

So if this is what you do best, why not do more of it? I would love to see you write less reviews and give us more editorial and criticism. Reviews just feel too restrictive and antiquated to stand out as proper piece of work, not that they aren't useful and informative. I would much rather read stuff from you along the lines of the pieces you used to do for Screened, like the Nic Cage stuff and the Netflicks queue series. They were really funny, informative and you could feel the passion, knowledge and love (and sometimes derision) for the subject. They kind of reminded me of when Jeff starts really talking about old games and the depth of his relationship with games comes out.

I agree with this. And I can also always tell an Alex article, or even video posting, just from the headline.

FormulaDeuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By FormulaDeuce

I'm so glad to see Alex chime in and let us know that he's working on getting his voice and face back on the site for us to enjoy. I've missed listening to him since the Screened podcast is no more and the occasional Quick Look that he lent his charm to. I still hold the Test Drive Unlimited 2 Quick Look as my all time favorite and that’s largely due to his involvement. Here’s hoping to see/hear from him sooner rather than later.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Grillbar

@Andorski said:

I still think it would be a cool idea of Alex brought some of the ideas he and Rorie did on Screened. Have videos where he defends certain aspects of a game that is universally trashed, do match-ups of of games that are revitalizing a series against it's predecessors, etc. Hell, I'd probably listen to Alex bitch about anything annoying in gaming, ranging from overused game mechanics to how annoying the game community can be.

im not the biggest fan of alex but yes yes and a 1000 yes to what your saying