• 55 results
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sprizmo

Have any of you ever created an alter ego that stands against everything you believe in just so you can screw with people and get their reactions? Maybe you want to get that off your chest. Me? Can't say I haven't thought about it...

Actually there was this one time years ago when chat rooms were new and cool; my psychotic landlord and I were pretending to be hard core feminist lesbians so we could bash all the pervs preying on young girls. We probably did a better job of it than actual lesbians. Huh... I almost forgot about that one...

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Drebin_893

Should have been posted in Off Topic. 
And no, that's pathetic in my opinion.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheMustacheHero

That's the dumbest thing I've read in a while.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By beargirl1

what they said 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax

I ever tell you about the time my buddy Keith lived in a graveyard once for a whole year -- it wasn't a dare or nothin', he just got kicked out of his house. He said he NEVER saw a single ghost 'cept for this one time when a ghost stabbed him from behind and took all his money, and he might've just been a homeless guy, 'cause he had a robe on with two eyes cut out his face.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sprizmo

Yeah yeah a moderator can feel free to move this to off topic, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and defend myself. Man its so much easier to get chastised on this site...

I'm not advocating douchebaggery here, there are a lot of people that make a living from alter egos and are quite popular because of it. Stephen Colbert anyone? He's being ironic, and I'm a firm believer that an ironic sensibility is typically exercised before a forum or platform is provided for one to justify it to their peers. So yes there are a lot of wierdos and bullshitters out there with no real purpose or substance to their alternative personalities but I think its unfair to put all practitioners on the chopping block. And I'm saying this as a person who hasn't really done it to any real extent. For fucks sake I'm just making conversation!

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sprizmo
@RiotBananas: Oh my god I hope you don't mean who is Stephen Colbert... though that would explain why you hopped on the negative feedback bandwagon.

And as far as the "making money" comment... all the sudden its okay when somebody decides to hand you a paycheck? That makes it about the money, not about the activity that supposedly deserves it. Anyone wanna support this logic? Anyone?
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sprizmo
@RiotBananas: You being English makes it more confusing that you wouldn't understand the purpose of irony (paid or unpaid) but it does explain why you are more apt to criticize something than let it go.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14  Edited By iam3green

no, not really. my friend's think i'm going to be a pedo when i'm older. it's why i watch jail shows because i would have to learn the roles of jail. 

the ghost thing i can kind of believe. my friend's house is haunted from the ex owners grandfather. i felt a finger go into my back once and my friend was on his bed. the other night they told me that his mother heard a key go into the door lock. she was kind of thinking what is aaron doing home at 2:30am (he works night shift) she heard tiptoeing and a person hanging the keys on a coat rack something he doesn't do. when she woke up she checked the driveway and no car there.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sprizmo
@RiotBananas: Let me offer this perspective by explaining what had prompted me to create this post.  I'm well aware most alter egos online are created for the purpose of trolling and usually the only thing of value produced by such behavior is the way other people react and how seriously they take it. The troll may not be doing it for comedic effect; maybe he is doing it because like you said he (or she) is insecure. But I'm a longtime member of other forums like the movie review site Rotten Tomatoes, and while there are a lot of wankers making ill informed pot shot statements I can usually sense when the person is serious or strategically getting a rise out of people. Maybe the comments these mysterious people make are not funny in and of themselves BUT the reactions they get, more often than not, are absolutely hilarious. So it seems to me that even us lowly forum posters have a need for these verbal extremists. We need these enemies so we can stomp all over them in freshly amusing ways to keep us entertained and reassure ourselves that we are reasonable individuals. This make sense?
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Cerza

Back when I played FFXI there was a guy in one of my Linkshells who played as a girl and played as a girl very convincingly. He would try and start online romances with other guys in the game and was often successful. They would have hawt cyb0rz and all that and then after they were done this guy would tell and show the other guy that he was in fact not a girl but a guy. Mind you these weren't one night stands or weekend flings in Jeuno. These were actual online romances that would go on for weeks or months before he would tell the other guy. Usually the people he had his way with logged off and never logged back on.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Belonpopo

Stupid...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By penguindust
@Drebin_893 said:
" Should have been posted in Off Topic. And no, that's pathetic in my opinion. "
Agreed.  If you can't say something in your established online persona, then hiding behind a fake one is weak and menial.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

You mean this screenname doesn't already count as some sort of alter ego?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By penguindust
@Video_Game_King:   Are you saying you're not really a king?!
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FunExplosions

In my "Music In Our Lives" class(Most useless class ever), we had to take journals every week and write how certain pieces of music made us... eugh... feel. I thought since the teacher was dumming down the class already, that it wouldn't hurt if I did the same to her. So, even though I'm an Atheist, every single journal entry I made was a comparison to Jesus, and how I'm reminded of his excellence etc. etc. The best part was that we never got to hear her reactions to the journals. She kept them and that was that. Hilarious.

Oh, crap. I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to post a real answer. Shit.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sprizmo
@PenguinDust: Ok here's another attempt to establish my premise here. I'm talking about intentionally saying the opposite of what you feel in order to attract more furious and colorful commentaries that actually agree with your true feelings on any given subject. The person who playfully posts such bait can sit back and absorb the maelstrom thus created. Somewhere down the line you can reveal to your friends and colleagues that it was just you all along screwing with them. Depending on their threshold for tomfoolery, they will likely laugh it off and say "well played mate." If they don't have a sense of humor, than they aren't much fun are they?
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King
@PenguinDust: 

Not exactly. This alter-ego is, yet the person behind it clearly isn't.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By penguindust
@Sprizmo:   You're talking about playing "devil's advocate" unless I am misunderstanding you still.  And, I still don't see why it has to be done with a false identity.  Case in point, back when Garnett Lee was still hosting the weekly podcast 1Up Yours, he always said seemingly outrageous things to counterpoint his guests most of which were friends and colleagues.  Conversations got heated at times, but he pushed them to defend their statements and the show was better for it.  Now, a lot of listeners probably thought he was an indecisive dick, but that didn't matter because the end result was the same.  The conversations had some meat on them.  Anyway, he did this all above board.  No false mustaches.  So, you can achieve the same "furious and colorful commentaries" without having to make up a new identity.  In fact, using an established one will likely return more serious reactions because people won't immediately write you off as a troll.

The only reason I can see to doing what you are suggesting is if you purposely want to piss people off.  If that's true then the caliber of the debate isn't what you are after and that sounds like trollish behavior to me.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By HitmanAgent47

No, i'm exactly the same in real life as the way I post, maybe i'm more quiet in RL, however i'm exactly the same.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HandsomeDead

Yeah, bro. Fight Club really made me re-evaluate my life.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I don't like talking in RL.  I post and communicate here, so yeah, I guess this is my internet persona or some crap.

Heartbreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Heartbreak

By day I'm the devious Heartbreak, by night I am the smooth criminal Tuxedo Mask

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MeierTheRed

No@TheMustacheHero said:

" That's the dumbest thing I've read in a while. "
120%
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Sprizmo said:
" Yeah yeah a moderator can feel free to move this to off topic, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and defend myself. Man its so much easier to get chastised on this site...  I'm not advocating douchebaggery here, there are a lot of people that make a living from alter egos and are quite popular because of it. Stephen Colbert anyone? He's being ironic, and I'm a firm believer that an ironic sensibility is typically exercised before a forum or platform is provided for one to justify it to their peers. So yes there are a lot of wierdos and bullshitters out there with no real purpose or substance to their alternative personalities but I think its unfair to put all practitioners on the chopping block. And I'm saying this as a person who hasn't really done it to any real extent. For fucks sake I'm just making conversation! "
I think you need to look up the definition of Irony.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sprizmo
@TheMustacheHero: 
irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning hypocrisy, deception, or feigned ignorance) is a situation, literary technique or rhetorical device ...

So yeah, feigned ignorance. Alter ego faking ignorance. Alter ego being deceptive. Glad I took a small victory away from this. And now, I concede the point. I should have never started this topic its not even really important to me. It backfired and I look like an idiot but you girls can suck my willy anyways. 
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Sprizmo said:

" @TheMustacheHero: 
irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning hypocrisy, deception, or feigned ignorance) is a situation, literary technique or rhetorical device ...  So yeah, feigned ignorance. Alter ego faking ignorance. Alter ego being deceptive. Glad I took a small victory away from this. And now, I concede the point. I should have never started this topic its not even really important to me. It backfired and I look like an idiot but you girls can suck my willy anyways.  "

Feigned ignorance would mean acting like you don't know anything. Which still makes no sense in context of your examples.

Besides that, the real definition of irony (ie. the one commonly used) is: 

Irony-  an outcome of events contrary to what was, or might have been, expected.
CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By CowMuffins
@Sprizmo said:
" @TheMustacheHero: 
irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning hypocrisy, deception, or feigned ignorance) is a situation, literary technique or rhetorical device ...  So yeah, feigned ignorance. Alter ego faking ignorance. Alter ego being deceptive. Glad I took a small victory away from this. And now, I concede the point. I should have never started this topic its not even really important to me. It backfired and I look like an idiot but you girls can suck my willy anyways.  "
Steven Colbert isn't ironic.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sprizmo
@CowMuffins: Go ahead and google Stephen Colbert & Irony and see how many articles pop up that explain just how ironic Colbert is. And uh, victory number 2. Anyone else?
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Akeldama
@TheMustacheHero said:
" That's the dumbest thing I've read in a while. "
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Romination

My alter ego is going out in public and not yelling at every asshole that i meet for being a dumbshit.

Because then I'd be yelling at everyone.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ryoma122

well  bak to the topic   
i use to go on habbo as a woman and chat some one up then say im  
a 52 year old virgin who lives with his mother in london  
i need to say that im am none of the things i just liked messing with people  
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dbz1995
@ryoma122 said:
" well  bak to the topic   i use to go on habbo as a woman and chat some one up then say im  a 52 year old virgin who lives with his mother in london  i need to say that im am none of the things i just liked messing with people   "
Sure you aren't...
ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ryoma122
@dbz1995: 
yeah i was waiting for this go rite a head say all the crap u like  
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Black_Rose

No and I sure as hell won't because it sounds stupid. 

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sprizmo
@TheMustacheHero: The real definition? So your such an authority that you can snip away the parts of a definition that don't support your argument? Hypocrisy was part of that definition, and that's exactly what an alternative personality (again like Stephen Colbert) functions under. Here's another example of what I mean, and do try to read it carefully...

It is quite a task to find common grounds upon which to base a comparison of such radically different texts as Christopher Marlowe’s “Doctor Faustus”and Oscar Wilde’s “The Importance of Being Earnest” especially given the wide amount of time separating these two works. However, one finds upon a more critical examination of these texts that the theme of hypocrisy is timeless and although is a theme in both works, is represented differently to differing aims. While both “The Importance of Being Earnest” and “Doctor Faustus”employ subtle irony to poke fun at the hypocrisy that occurs, the reasons for such satire are completely different. For instance, the pointing out of hypocrisy in “The Importance of Being Earnest” is for the purposes of examining Victorian society and how one must appear on the surface to keep a name. In “Doctor Faustus”however, the role of hypocrisy is quite different since it is used to point out the errors of religion. Certainly, as “The Importance of Being Earnest” by Oscar Wilde and “Doctor Faustus”by Christopher Marloweare two entirely works on many levels, the fact that hypocrisy is used as a theme points to the idea that it is a timeless social concept, both in life and literature.
CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CowMuffins
@Sprizmo said:
" @CowMuffins: Go ahead and google Stephen Colbert & Irony and see how many articles pop up that explain just how ironic Colbert is. And uh, victory number 2. Anyone else? "

Don't flatter yourself.
Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By Griddler

Hmm No.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#46  Edited By Jeust

that's a nice idea... 

I don't have any noticeable alter-ego, but i do try to understand and dialogue with the darkest parts of my being. 

But as long as you don't hurt anyone by doing it, expressing your alter-ego, go ahead, it will satisfy you! :p

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Sprizmo said:
" @TheMustacheHero: The real definition? So your such an authority that you can snip away the parts of a definition that don't support your argument? Hypocrisy was part of that definition, and that's exactly what an alternative personality (again like Stephen Colbert) functions under. Here's another example of what I mean, and do try to read it carefully...

It is quite a task to find common grounds upon which to base a comparison of such radically different texts as Christopher Marlowe’s “Doctor Faustus”and Oscar Wilde’s “The Importance of Being Earnest” especially given the wide amount of time separating these two works. However, one finds upon a more critical examination of these texts that the theme of hypocrisy is timeless and although is a theme in both works, is represented differently to differing aims. While both “The Importance of Being Earnest” and “Doctor Faustus”employ subtle irony to poke fun at the hypocrisy that occurs, the reasons for such satire are completely different. For instance, the pointing out of hypocrisy in “The Importance of Being Earnest” is for the purposes of examining Victorian society and how one must appear on the surface to keep a name. In “Doctor Faustus”however, the role of hypocrisy is quite different since it is used to point out the errors of religion. Certainly, as “The Importance of Being Earnest” by Oscar Wilde and “Doctor Faustus”by Christopher Marloweare two entirely works on many levels, the fact that hypocrisy is used as a theme points to the idea that it is a timeless social concept, both in life and literature. "
I never asked what Hypocrisy is or for you to explain it within text, stop acting like your the smartest human on Earth. You don't even understand the simple concept of Irony. You fail.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By Skald
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ArchScabby

Ever heard of batman?

I'm not him.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Sprizmo
@TheMustacheHero: Ok there buddy, saying "You Fail" may make you feel a little better but I just provided more than one definitive argument to support my case. And obviously you didn't read or comprehend what my last example was. I'm not the smartest person in the world by far. But what I AM this time around is RIGHT!!!

And... oh:

The Irony of Satire

“ The Irony of Satire” is the actual name of a study done at Ohio State University on “biased message processing of political satire in The Colbert Report”. The study compared conservatives and liberals, and how they reacted to Stephen Colbert.

Interestingly, both groups thought that Colbert was funny. But the ironic part is that “conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said” (in other words, they think he’s funny, but they don’t actually get the joke). Liberals, on the other hand, “were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements”.

Need more? Or are you smarter than published political commentators?