Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By buzz_killington

I think the dude's schtick is worn out. His old videos are still funny though, and I enjoyed his second-last episode, but I think every new episode he is getting less and less funny (and views). I think he should just reitre the Nerd.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

No, he's still pretty good. The Woody Woodpecker mask was kinda weird (they couldn't buy a better one off eBay?), but I don't see a major decline.

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

One of his recent videos about Plumbers Don't Wear Ties was one of his best, in my opinion (probably because the game was so hysterically awful). But I somewhat agree, his routine isn't nearly as funny as it used to be.

unclejohn0525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By unclejohn0525

I was kind of disappointed with that new Bugs Bunny one, but he does make a dud from time to time. The quality kind of fluctuates from episode to episode. Like, I loved the "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" episode.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By TheGremp

He's always been lame.  I get all the angry videogame related rantings I need from Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (of Zero Punctuation).  He gets bonus points for having a british accent.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Dalai

He's about as good as the shitty games he's covering.  If the games are truly awful, he's at his best.  If they're just generically bad, it's pretty meh.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By jNerd

I think it depends on what he's reviewing.
I don't think his talents or persona are aging, just some things he reviews are too shitty even for his humor to save.
EDIT: I just watched his Bugs Bunny NES reviews... his jokes are gettin fuckin BAAAAAD. Wow.....

buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By buzz_killington
@TheGremp:
That dude is not funny at all. He is not funny, and he doesn't actually review the games.
FluxCapacitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxCapacitor
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

Dude his newest video was stupid.  I couldn't even finish it...he wasted the entire time with the stupid rabbit.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I find them entertaining. I'm not expecting greatness all the time just a cheap laugh.

unclejohn0525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By unclejohn0525
@buzz_killington said:
" @TheGremp: That dude is not funny at all. He is not funny, and he doesn't actually review the games. "
I think Yahtzee is great, but I do agree with you, he doesn't actually "review" the games. He just bashes them, no matter how good they are. It's great for what it is, but obviously the reviews aren't reliable for purchasing decisions.
harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By harrisonave

I loved the most recent one.  The nods to classic Warner Brothers cartoon wackiness  and ridiculousness was too awesome not to love.  I still enjoy The Nerd.  When I feel like I'm losing faith, I just watch an episode of IrateGamer, and then everything is alright again.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Snipzor

He has jumped the shark, and should have probably invested his time in multiple characters instead of one. I mean, the latest one I saw was not funny or amusing in anyway (Plumbers don't wear ties). Scripted commentary isn't fun, and when The Gameheroes did exactly the same game days before Rolfe released his, the differences were massive and I preferred Handsome Tom being a sly bastard about the game. 

I remember watching the first ones on Screwattack when he started, those were the days.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@TheGremp said:
" He's always been lame.  I get all the angry videogame related rantings I need from Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (of Zero Punctuation).  He gets bonus points for having a british accent. "
When some one posts a thread about if he has been getting lame LATELY they obviously at one point thought they were good.So if you have always hated him your opinion does nothing for the current conversation.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By crusader8463

Never was imho. Watched a few and never got it ^_^

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Sometimes he's funny, and he at least offers a more valid opinion than Yahtzee (though not by much), but considering that 90% of his humor just involves cursing a ton and comparing the game to some variety of poop, he could at least try to do something else. I liked the Plumber's Don't Wear Ties episode simply because of how abysmal that game looked.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJOR64

As a big fan of the Nerd, his newer videos aren't as funny as his old videos.  I still enjoy his videos and I will continue to enjoy them.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By yakov456

In the old episodes he curses unnecessarily. I have not watched newer ones. Does the turd still say fuck and mother fucker every other word?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem is, a person can only go on for so long, I love his videos and yes his older ones are funnier but I still love watching him review games no matter what mood or style he does them in.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#21  Edited By ArbitraryWater
@yakov456 said:
" In the old episodes he curses unnecessarily. I have not watched newer ones. Does the turd still say fuck and mother fucker every other word? "
Yeah, pretty much.  He still also compares playing the game to something extremely disgusting and poop related.
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By buzz_killington

@Dalai said:

"He's about as good as the shitty games he's covering.  If the games are truly awful, he's at his best.  If they're just generically bad, it's pretty meh. "

Exactly. I think he's out of horribly bad games, especially with stuff like the Power Glove or The Ghostbusters game he actually had bad memories from his childhood that actually made him pissed. But now, he's just trying to recreate the anger.
Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Metroid545

I think he is still great

Haggard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Haggard

I used to find him absolutely hilarious but I find the spark is gone or I've just got used to his style by now.

Avatar image for deactivated-587815b1c9354
deactivated-587815b1c9354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i find his newer vids enjoyable to watch every once in awhile but he is getting kind of flat

Aljosa15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aljosa15

He's still the best at what he does. "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties" was one of his best episodes ever.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EVO

James Rolfe is a filmmaker at heart, and I think this shows in his more recent videos. It's become less about the games and more about the Nerd. Nevertheless I'll still be first in line to watch a new video.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Vonocourt

I got tired of his shtick not long after he stopped being The Angry Nintendo Nerd.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SpudBug

I don't like his videos. Fake "over the top" anger is all he seems to have going for him. I haven't watched a lot of them, but I haven't really enjoyed what I did see.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By dj

I agree with your point. I don't think that he is getting worse over time, I just think that I've spent a long time watching his Nerd videos and don't like that act anymore. I do enjoy his serious takes on subjects. I would be totally fine if he switched to a more serious tone. 

Mattzz10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mattzz10

I have found that "that guy with the glasses" is a lot funnier.  He also presents a lot of info while still being funny with his nostalgia critic videos.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGremp
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @TheGremp said:
" He's always been lame.  I get all the angry videogame related rantings I need from Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (of Zero Punctuation).  He gets bonus points for having a british accent. "
When some one posts a thread about if he has been getting lame LATELY they obviously at one point thought they were good.So if you have always hated him your opinion does nothing for the current conversation. "
Actually it does a lot.  I'm stating that I've always found him lame, thus he is still lame.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ryanwho

It just seems like he's getting lame cus you're getting older. And also, cus he's getting lame. No more skits plz.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By slinky6

Yeah his old stuff is funny before he made all the characters up when he'd just talk about shitty games.   Now he focuses to much on dumb shit happening as he's playing the game backed up with special effects that aren't shitty enough to be funny but are too shitty to be entertaining.   Check out Mega64.com for all your humorous-game-skit needs.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ArchScabby

Bible Games was still, and always will be the best one.  or the spiderman one.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CowMuffins
@TheGremp said:
I think he's Australian.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheGremp
@CowMuffins said:
" @TheGremp said:
I think he's Australian. "
He lives in Australia, but as his bio states, he is "a British-born, currently Australian-based writer and gamer with a sweet hat and a chip on his shoulder". 

So, yes and no.
Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Damian

Yeah, it's lame. It's supposed to be lame. The worst that could happen to an episode of the nerd is that it is good. It's a win/win, really. I just figure you're tired of watching a foul-mouthed oaf relive his spoiled childhood. I'm not tired of it as of yet, but I'm sure I'll get there. Fuck, I bet James himself is tired of the nerd character.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By Discorsi

i think he is able to still move around alright.  no stiffness or anything.  maybe when he's in his 70's.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

I really want to avoid making a straw man here, but all he ever did was point out the obvious in terrible games.  Many of those early videos were games I had already played and are still sitting in a box in my bedroom.  Even if I haven't played it, I tend to laugh more at the actual game than anything he ever says.  Also, way too many of the jokes are him just saying how bad the game is in a profane way, and that's not really clever or funny. 

I lump him with Family Guy.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By demontium

I thought his new bugs one was fricken hilarious, like the hypo part and the poo part.

Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Turtlemayor333

I've been making my rounds on the old internet lately and it's looking like this guy can't catch a break. I didn't know it was possible for nostalgia to exist for angry game reviews, but that seems to be the case. Go back and watch those 2004-2006 videos now. Some still hold up, sure. Top Gun and Bible Games are two of the best reviews he's ever done, to me at least. But how about Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde where he just talks about how bad the game is for five minutes before even showing any footage, or Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu with the stupid Shit Pickle character? I get that they were early experiments but they don't hold a candle to what he's doing now. 

So yeah, I say he still has it. Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is probably the funniest and most informative review James has made since creating the character. And I love how Yahtzee always shows up in AVGN discussion. I watch him too but...If it's anyone who has had the exact same act for way too long it's him. But that's just my opinion.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By bacongames

I apologize to be the wrong person to post in this thread, but I've actually never got into Angry Video Game Nerd for obvious reasons (the name just screams obnoxious).  I never had the interest to find out what he was about and now that is basically in the Zero Punctuation category, I can safely pass him by.  I've watched a lot of Yatzhee's stuff and I think I'm pretty much sick of his cynical bs and it seems likely I would have been sick of AVGN's type of over-anger as well.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By apathylad

If you guys like the AVGN you may want to check out the Nostalgia Critic. They're both pretty similar and have worked together on a couple of projects, and in character they pretend to be rivals.

Aydin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Aydin

He's not getting lame at all. It's just that, well we've seen him for like what, four years, it's become ordinary, which is not a flaw in my opinion. I appreciate it that he's provided me hours of hilarious moments. It's true that sometimes the formula seems tired, but overall, even if he doesn't have a couple "really funny" episodes, he makes up for them later.

Besides, AVGN is almost a one man show. James writes the scripts, edits, directs and produces the show, his friends often helping him, so it's not easy making episodes every couple of weeks and still satisfy every person out there.

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By L33tfella_H

James Rolfe in general is a pretty funny guy and does some pretty great videos, but i think his act is kinda drying up as AVGN.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Osaladin

I haven't been able to watch an AVGN since he first started, they are all way too lame for me.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By thecleric

It's always lame when Mike Matel is on it

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Nictel

I just skipped to the games in the last video. The constant shit jokes and '"fighting" scenes just don't do it for me. Besides the games didn't look that bad. It was more annoyingly bad than a truly terrible game.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Scooper

I prefered the older episodes when the anger was more genuine and things you would say in the same situation like when he falls down an invisible pit he's just shouts "Noooooooo!!!!". That sort of thing was way funnier then the wierd "I'd rather drink fecal matter from a buffalo's asshole" stuff.

He's just going for a differnet viewer that watches for the slapstick humor that doesn't actualy care about some stupid old game. It alienates the old fan a bit but whatever, they get more views.