Anyone Else Really Bummed Out By The Gaming World After E3?

• 97 results
umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By umdesch4

Two points:

1. Interesting and cool things in gaming often come out of left field, and aren't shown at E3, or aren't really covered. For all we know, The Witness could come out and be the most amazing thing we've ever seen.

2. There were enough games on the floor, or in the pressers, that I really want to play, that they'll keep me going for the next year.

Either way, I still think it's a good time to be a gamer. Anyone old enough to remember the early 80s will tell you, we've seen MUCH worse!

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By JazGalaxy
@paradox121 said:
I know the gaming world, be it with journalists or small-time internet commenters, are pretty synnoymous for being negative moaners but after this E3...it's honestly got me down.  Arguably, every company showed some really interesting, great looking stuff, and yet I was personally hard done by to find consistent positive comments. Maybe I'm just being unrealistic, but back when I was a kid I remember flipping through games magazines, seeing all these amazing new announcements about games and consoles and being amazed and happy and optimistic...now, people release a trailer and its ripped apart.  My main annoyance was the reception to the Wii U. Crappy name, crappy reveal, but some genuinely new and clever concepts that I'm interested to see develop. Five minutes after, people were predicting it's failure. Literally every preview I saw said the controller looked great, it wasn't awkward or heavy to hold, and the tech demos were interesting. But the internet, for some reason, couldn't accept this, and decided that it was impossible to hold, with only crappy Wii-level graphics. My favourite incident was the whole demo reel thing. For people who don't know, during the conference Nintendo showed a trail of third party games being developed (Darksiders II, Dirt, Tekken etc). You couldn't go to a site without people lambasting it as being below 360/PS3 level....even though it was video of the games playing on those systems. Now, I'm in no way defending Nintendo. They've said far from enough to satisfy people, and in all honesty, if they just eluded to the specs more clearly it'd probably placate a whole lot of people, but I'm really getting tired of this instant-write off thing the gaming world has got going.  The other hardware reveal, the Vita, seemed to be automatically and inexplicably be written off too. Now, I totally understand people's views. Patrick perfectly explained on the Bombcast why he didn't think the system would sell all that well, and Sony doesn't have the greatest history of keeping their handhelds going, but I've heard a few cases where it's already the butt of jokes. "Guess it'll sell as well as the Vita, LOL". Wow, people really? The thing hasn't even started selling and it's already a failure?  I think at the heart of it, there's this inherent need on the internet to be seen as the most cynical, because then you get to feel like you're superior somehow. Saying anything positive is somehow weak and silly, unless it features guns or has some nice lighting in it. Games like Tomb Raider, Mario 3DS, Battlefield 3, MW3...all had chunks taken out of them. But apparently, if the internet's going to be believed, all handhelds will cease to exist, Nintendo will sell a total of 15 Wii U's before going third party, and Halo 8 will be the new pinnicle of games. What fun.  RANT OVER.
for me im bitter toward e3 because of how many sequels, dirivative titles, and non-announcements were there. e3, or ces if youre old like me, used to be about new characters, new worlds and new experiences. now you can predict the whole thing before it starts and all anyone shows are movie clips. 
Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Pezen

The longer something exists, the more cynical people will become because the general audience will be more and more jaded by experience. Also, you have to consider the fact that most people that sit on the internet and complain are enthusiasts, not the broad market. And we tend to have seen most things and bought every version of those things to the point were we know too much and we don't give developers the benefit of doubt. Generally. We judge things before it's even in our hands.

Personally, I think the best sentiment about this E3 I hear was probably Ryan (I believe) who said something to the effect of this E3 being marked by great games being demoed using parts of the games not necessarily representing the strength and qualities of those games. And we don't get to go behind the scenes to see the rest that represent the good stuff, we the audience just watch what we're fed, and if we're fed hollow carbs, we'll whine after a few minutes again.

As for the Wii U, I am sure it'll be interesting to see the potential of that thing being realized. But I was honestly excited for the Wii when that was announced, but that turned out to not be what I actually wanted from it, so I didn't buy. And this one seems like it could be a half generational leap that will be passed once Sony and Microsoft do their next switch. And, perhaps, this is the dawn of the console release synch to come undone and generational leaps will happen less like clockwork and more when whichever manufacturer feels the need to update.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Liber

We really didn't need another Halo game >_<

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By Marz

The most exciting news was the Wii-U  but even that isn't too impressive.   It doesn't seem to be a next generation system... just something with similar power to consoles already out on the market  with a gimmicky controller, which I found to be fairly disappointing.  There was no show stopper announcement, just some interesting games.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#56  Edited By huntad
@paradox121: I am definitely very annoyed as well. I admit, I saw the Wii U and thought, "Hey, this looks really gimmicky". However, I also did not spread that crap online nor do I completely doubt the console's potential. There were some neat looking 3DS games, Wii U games, Vita games, and PS3 games (I did not see the 360 coverage).   

The MAIN thing that pisses me off is listening to the bombcast crew completely write off games because they are handheld games. Handhelds may be dying, but it doesn't help with so much negative press (especially when they badmouth them for personal preferences). Say what you like, but press coverage opinions are not just any ol' opinions. Their views carry weight, and influence the industry as a whole to a larger extent than just me talking some smack on a game.
paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By paradox121
@JazGalaxy said:
@paradox121 said:
for me im bitter toward e3 because of how many sequels, dirivative titles, and non-announcements were there. e3, or ces if youre old like me, used to be about new characters, new worlds and new experiences. now you can predict the whole thing before it starts and all anyone shows are movie clips. 
That's totally understandable. Stuff like announcing the 'all new Halo trilogy' depresses me too. It's sad that any new innovative games that get people's attention immediately have to be part of a trilogy. But then that's the gaming industry, and arguably if it wasn't the case, there wouldn't be enough money around to fund new ideas. Unfortunate cycle I guess. My issue just lies in people moaning for the sake of moaning. If you've managed to form a coherent paragraph about what annoyed you at E3 you've beaten 90% of commenters.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By zeforgotten

The gaming world has been a bummer since it's start because of the gamers in it

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By penguindust
@iam3green said:

i thought it was alright. i think most of the things were disappointing because they didn't show anything exciting.  wii u and vita were exciting to see but i'm talking about the games. most of what they showed were just sequels to games. we should get new IP instead of sequels. yes, new games are expensive to make but it would be more money to think of something different to make.

Yeah, I agree with this sentiment.  I found the show to be mostly alright and I am interested in learning more about both new platforms however there weren't enough (or in the Wii U's case - any) games on the systems to really move me like in the old days.  The Wii U is a curiosity to me and I want to see where it goes.  The Vita appeals to me more because I want a replacement for my DS Lite, but if the type of games I want aren't there then, it won't be much use to me after all.  Finally, there are the games meant for the avid gamer.  As iam3green said, a lot of sequels.  Now, I have nothing against sequels but they don't excite me like something new.  The unfamiliar creates more buzz simply by being different.  Now, if the new games are a carbon copy of something I've seen already then that can be depressing, but at this point I rarely expect the re-invention of the wheel.  I am hopeful for Insomniac's new IP, Overstrike.  Sure, it's another shooter, but I am okay with that aspect as long as the characters and group dynamic is entertaining enough.  While a lot of us say we want innovation, the market seems to suggest otherwise because anything too different doesn't sell. 

Game enthusiasts (at least the ones that post on forums) tend to be a jaded, cynical bunch for a few reasons.  First, they're more educated with the vast number of games released.  They've played a lot and therefore have seen a lot of plot points and game elements repeated ad nauseum.  Secondly, in the search for new experiences their expectations grow higher and thus fall harder when they aren't met.  That disappointment can turn sour quickly.  Furthermore, repeated disappointments can make a gamer cautious and prematurely dismissive.   Thirdly, internet forums create an atmosphere of one-upmanship.  Just as in the mainstream press, no one cares to be upbeat and positive in their stories.  "If it bleeds, it leads" is a journalistic adage and it applies to game enthusiast forums, too.  Saying something sucks will have greater traction than saying something looks good.  Confrontation invites more page views and replies than agreement or optimism. 

Now, I am a bit depressed by E3 2011 because there were no "and one more thing" moments this year.  Remember in past years where at the end of a conference, the game makers would add that one surprise that would thrill the audience and leave them feeling hopeful?  This year, many of the presentations just ended with a "goodnight".  Microsoft tried, but Halo 4 can hardly be called a worthy effort.  "Oh, you're making another Halo game and it's coming from the studio built to just make Halo games...shocker!"  Even if the reveal wasn't broken on the web it wouldn't have been an awe inspiring conclusion to their press event.  Each conference ended with a fizzle in my opinion and that's a downer.
dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By dudacles

The conferences were less fun than they have been at some point, but let's face it, the only truly exciting conferences are the ones that show off new hardware coming out, and the ones that come right after. However, I saw a lot of games that I'm really interested in. My "most anticipated of E3 2011" list holds like 24 games after having followed the Giantbomb coverage. Even Future Soldier has me interested. I really liked GRAW, and am still willing to give it a chance.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Vorbis

I thought it was great, I actually had a hard time picking only 15 games for the E3 Anticipated list. My only complaint is that there seems to be zero coverage on Atlus's The Cursed Crusade bar one terrible interview, hoping more will pop up over the next week.

Don't let the vocal few over weigh the content masses.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Nekroskop

All I care about is DARK SOULS! I also want Vinny's opinion on this since he is the only one of the gang who finished Demon's Souls.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63  Edited By StingingVelvet

I've been growing more and more disappointed with the gaming world for 10 years now.  The shift to consoles, the death of core RPGs, the death of fast-paced shooters, the invention of online DRM, the motion gaming boom, the social gaming boom, games as a service, etc. etc.  None of it is my thing, all of it bums me out.  This year's E3 was nothing new, lots of focus on things I dislike and trends I want to stop.

That said there are still many games I enjoy and many games I am interested in.  Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Farcry 3, Battlefield 3, XCOM and more all look great and like games I will enjoy immensely.  In a lot of ways there are more games coming out now I want to play than ever before really, they're just not the games that get a lot of press and hype and I fear their days are limited.

poltergeist13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By poltergeist13

I get bummed by how many few new IPs appeared at E3. Not hating on the sequels shown, most looked pretty great. Just seems that no one was really trying anything new, other than the downloadable space. I want some new experiences occasionally, while visiting some of my favs also.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've been unhappy with the "core gaming community" at large for a long time. I think here on Giant Bomb we've had a largely fair and reasonable approach to E3 but yes, there are a lot of guys out there who are still stuck in that immature pattern of "I don't give a damn about any of this stuff so that makes me cool" and there are a lot of people still convinced that anything that might appeal to the casual side of gaming must be the spawn of Satan because they can't come to terms with the fact that a gaming product might not be aimed at them and that video games are no longer an exclusive club for the people who can sit down and rattle off 2 hours of trivia about the PS2 off of the top of their head.

While I think there are some legitimate worries to be levelled with the Vita a lot of the anti-console whining this E3 has come from the immature fanboys who always seem at their loudest and most idiotic around this time of year. That being said while I agree this kind of crap has to stop and that we'd all benefit from a more optimistic outlook on video games, this is more of an ongoing problem with gamers on the internet as a whole than anything to do specifically with the post-E3 criticism this year.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Jimbo

Nah I think the industry is getting the reaction it deserves for the most part. There seemed to be a lot of emphasis on QTEs and On-Rail this year, and for me it's like... if you all secretly want to make movies, why don't you just go and do that?

I want games that I can sink my teeth into and which require a little thought and engagement on my part, and those are still around, but they're rarely put front and center anymore. I'm not necessarily talking about super niche historical TBS or whatever either, I mean games like Rainbow Six, Hidden & Dangerous or even Brothers in Arms - games which had action but weren't afraid to also ask the player to think a bit rather than just go through the motions. XCOM might have potential in this regard, but they seem shy about actually showing any of the stuff that might be interesting about it.

I respect Nintendo for trying something different again with the Wui, but I got the same 'this isn't for me' reaction that I got from the Wii. Nintendo themselves seem more about the fun 5 minutes / arcade experience, which I've never really been interested in, and I already own the best available platform for multi-plats (a decent PC), so I don't need it for that either.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I think your just not remembering your childhood...... trust me there was a lot of shit, but since you're older you are seeing it more often. If you would flip through a magazine today though it be filled with great games as well. If not next then at least in 2 years MS will be talking new xbox, sony maybe the year after that. I doubt those will just be shoulder shrugs. Or you can play PC games and always live the life of happiness :)

ateenagedgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ateenagedgirl

@OP 

No, it was pretty much more of the same and what I was expecting. I think the only surprising reveal was the Wii U. We knew it would have some kind of "pioneering gimmick", but I don't think anyone thought it would be an amalgamation of pretty much everything like it appears to be.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By nail1080
@paradox121 said:
Woo! I've actually managed to create a happy place on the internet. It's like some kind of scary, new untouched ground. 

@nail1080
said:
cool story bro
I really hope you're being hilariously ironic or you've just gone on to prove how dickish people online are.
neither
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Pinworm45
@StingingVelvet said:
I've been growing more and more disappointed with the gaming world for 10 years now.  The shift to consoles, the death of core RPGs, the death of fast-paced shooters, the invention of online DRM, the motion gaming boom, the social gaming boom, games as a service, etc. etc.  None of it is my thing, all of it bums me out.  This year's E3 was nothing new, lots of focus on things I dislike and trends I want to stop.  That said there are still many games I enjoy and many games I am interested in.  Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Farcry 3, Battlefield 3, XCOM and more all look great and like games I will enjoy immensely.  In a lot of ways there are more games coming out now I want to play than ever before really, they're just not the games that get a lot of press and hype and I fear their days are limited.
Pretty much all of this. 

But according to this thread we're part of the problem, working to create a world of perpetual disappointment and cynicism, unable to be happy people, delinquents even. Because we have opinions, I guess.
jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#71  Edited By jimi

Bummed out by the companies, hyped about the games.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By Yanngc33
@Poltergeist13 said:

I get bummed by how many few new IPs appeared at E3. Not hating on the sequels shown, most looked pretty great. Just seems that no one was really trying anything new, other than the downloadable space. I want some new experiences occasionally, while visiting some of my favs also.

there were some reboots and those looked fine
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Red

While I thought practically all the press conferences were boring, cheesy, and inconsistent, we have a great holiday season coming up, and next year looks to be filled with interesting releases.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@ryanwho said:

I concur. This E3 taught me some people are just bitterly resentful and perpetually unhappy, they just want to complain about things they haven't even played themselves.
Bongos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Bongos

Either games are getting shittier or were getting older and time doesn't stop for anyone.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#76  Edited By DukeTogo

Internet culture and posturing to set oneself above everything and everyone makes basing any kind of accurate model on what the "people" really think about anything a fool's errand.  Both the Wii and Kinect proved that money talks and bullshit walks.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#77  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I thought this years E3 was awesome, not the most "hardcore gamers" friendly but there were some really promising games and technologies shown.

ASpaceSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ASpaceSeaman

There are so few people in this topic who actually read the first post.... He is disappointed in the community not in E3 or the games at all

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#79  Edited By crusader8463

For me personally it was largely the shooter fatigue. Not only are there more shooters then ever, but they are even going so far as to take non shooter franchises like x-com and make them into god dam shooters! I like a good shooter from to time if it has some interesting stuff wrapped around it like an awesome universe, Space Marines, a deep and adult looking open world, Far Cry 3, or just balls out crazy fun, Saints Row 3, but I want to see developers make games that involve something other then running around shooting guns. Yes there were some, but the big ones that got public face time were mostly shooters and it's just tiring.

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By paradox121
@Pinworm45 said:
@StingingVelvet said:
I've been growing more and more disappointed with the gaming world for 10 years now.  The shift to consoles, the death of core RPGs, the death of fast-paced shooters, the invention of online DRM, the motion gaming boom, the social gaming boom, games as a service, etc. etc.  None of it is my thing, all of it bums me out.  This year's E3 was nothing new, lots of focus on things I dislike and trends I want to stop.  That said there are still many games I enjoy and many games I am interested in.  Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Farcry 3, Battlefield 3, XCOM and more all look great and like games I will enjoy immensely.  In a lot of ways there are more games coming out now I want to play than ever before really, they're just not the games that get a lot of press and hype and I fear their days are limited.
Pretty much all of this.  But according to this thread we're part of the problem, working to create a world of perpetual disappointment and cynicism, unable to be happy people, delinquents even. Because we have opinions, I guess.
I wasn't inferring that just because you have a negative opinion you're an asshole killing the community. What I do get annoyed by is people being cynical for the sake of being cynical. Jumping to conclusions and looking into their magical gloom filled crystal balls that predict the end of all things.   If you can base a decent opinion about something, that's fine by me. I'm a totally sarcastic twat in real life myself.
@5socks5 said: 

There are so few people in this topic who actually read the first post.... He is disappointed in the community not in E3 or the games at all

Well, to be fair, some games at E3 did downright suck :) And as people have said, the number of games with a 2 or 3 at the end just shows the state of the industry, but at the heart of it my biggest gripe was with the general tone of internet users and to a lesser extent some journalists.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By warxsnake

Hey guys, let's bitch about shit and be constantly unhappy.  

If the gaming lineup coming up in Fall/winter 2011 disappoints you, arguably the busiest and most crowded time in AAA gaming history, then there's nothing to help you. 

arca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By arca

I'm looking forward to all the great games coming out but console-wise I didn't think E3 was that good. Battlefield 3 looks great, Saints Row 3 looks fun, etc.

-

A controller I can point at the TV to shoot things or use as an inventory, whoop de doo. It's a gimmick that will get old after a few weeks of using it.

More rubbish kinect stuff. Hardly any of it has interesting features. Jazz hands to shoot, what the christ?!

SonyVita, eh. Very good graphics for a handheld but not much of a strive forwards in technology.

jonny_mung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By jonny_mung

@paradox121 said:

What I do get annoyed by is people being cynical for the sake of being cynical.

This is unfortunately not unique to the gaming community nor the Internet i'm afraid. =(

I totally hear you.

Personally I think it's a fantastic time to be a gamer or "one who enjoys games". As someone who has gamed avidly since the days of the C64, I still think games are magical products of imagination and technical prowess. I don't know if I will end up purchasing a Wii U but I certainly appreciate the things it claims it can do. I also think it's amazing how far handhelds have come as far as horsepower and feature set. Who would have thought sans-glasses 3D was possible? And from a handheld which costs $250? incredible.

As a new father, I also really appreciate some of the ideas coming from developers like Double Fine. When my child saw the Sesame Street Monster game being shown, the look on his face was priceless. The completely brought me back to the first time I saw Pac-Man or Super Mario Bros. Magical memories for me.

I think to myself, how lucky the new generation is. The stuff being dreamed up by members of the earlier gamer generations is fantastic and speaks to how far this industry has come and leaves me excited for what might be next.

So let the haters hate.

It's a great time to be a gamer!

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#84  Edited By sodapop7

You'll always have more negative people on the internet because they usually think they've got a great point that people need to hear. I bet most people on this site will wait to see how most of this stuff turns out before judging it, the vocal minority make it seem otherwise. I've stopped judging things based on E3 because it is mostly smoke and mirrors.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#85  Edited By ManMadeGod

So true. People get pumped for E3 only to come online and talk about how much they hated it. Happens every year.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Devil240Z

There was nothing I care about at E3.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#87  Edited By Seppli

Dude - bitchin' and moanin' about the gaming industry is their bread and butter. Every gamer with some livin' under their beltbuckle has had quite a few magic moments in gaming and nothing ordinary can live up to such a thing. Hence all the jaded and semi-cynical banter.

I for one am lucky enough to love a couple of currently active franchises, like Battlefield and World of Warcraft. I'm pretty content with the gaming baseline these franchises provide me with. Everything else is just icing on the cake of my gaming hobby.

That's my advice to all the 'world-weary' game journos (goes for any videogame afficionado really). Find your baseline gaming experience. A game or franchise to stick with through the ages. A singular expression of gaming being your hobby. The one game you go off the deep end for. Games like Battlefield or Street Fighter or Call of Duty or StarCraft or any given MMO or sports franchise. Games that in-itself qualify as a hobby.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SadPatrol
@wecantgetaway
Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3, and plenty other games looked great. Not to mention 2 new innovative gaming platforms. No hate here!
Some of us don't like sequels as much as you I suppose.
wecantgetaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By wecantgetaway
@SadPatrol: Some of the greatest games I've played were the result of sequels, but to each their own.
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Pinworm45
@paradox121 said:
@Pinworm45 said:
@StingingVelvet said:
Pretty much all of this.  But according to this thread we're part of the problem, working to create a world of perpetual disappointment and cynicism, unable to be happy people, delinquents even. Because we have opinions, I guess.
I wasn't inferring that just because you have a negative opinion you're an asshole killing the community. What I do get annoyed by is people being cynical for the sake of being cynical. Jumping to conclusions and looking into their magical gloom filled crystal balls that predict the end of all things.   If you can base a decent opinion about something, that's fine by me. I'm a totally sarcastic twat in real life myself.
Let me ask you something. Do you honestly believe a large amount of people sit around and think of ways they can be cynical and unhappy? Do you honestly believe they form up ways and look for things just to be cynical about because they... enjoy being cynical, I guess? 

And second, if you actually believe people do that, do you think that's whats more likely happening, than say.. people just have different opinions and sometimes those aren't positive towards something? 
StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#91  Edited By StingingVelvet
@wecantgetaway said:
@SadPatrol: Some of the greatest games I've played were the result of sequels, but to each their own.
My favorite game of all time is a sequel, Morrowind.  Not to mention that often times sequels are not really like their prequels (again like Morrowind).  I don't really mind sequels at all, I just like good games.  If a sequel is too much of the same thing and not that great then it's just a meh game, has nothing to do with the number in the title.
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#92  Edited By alistercat

Nope. I'm content.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By umdesch4

@Pinworm45 said:

Let me ask you something. Do you honestly believe a large amount of people sit around and think of ways they can be cynical and unhappy? Do you honestly believe they form up ways and look for things just to be cynical about because they... enjoy being cynical, I guess? And second, if you actually believe people do that, do you think that's whats more likely happening, than say.. people just have different opinions and sometimes those aren't positive towards something?

The funny thing is, part of the way you've worded this implies that you expect (and believe yourself) the answer to be "obviously not", but wow, you've hit the nail exactly on the head. Yes, people are cynical, and enjoy being cynical, very much so. In fact, many, if not most of the people I see regularly day to day are extremely cynical about everything, to the point where I don't know how they even get up in the morning if they believe that all the ways they envision the world ending will come to pass.

I believe this is the world-view of the cynics, regarding E3. You can either say you like the stuff you saw at E3, which implies that you are a sheeple enjoying the pablum that's being force-fed to you like a good little consumer, or you can bitch and moan and try to seem cool and enlightened because you're seeing past the smoke and mirrors. Once you start playing that game, it becomes impossible to appreciate anything you see because you start from the position of "how can I be cynical about this?"

But hey, what do I know? I've now become cynical about people being cynical, so go figure! :P

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By paradox121
@Pinworm45 said:

@paradox121 said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@StingingVelvet said:
Let me ask you something. Do you honestly believe a large amount of people sit around and think of ways they can be cynical and unhappy? Do you honestly believe they form up ways and look for things just to be cynical about because they... enjoy being cynical, I guess?  And second, if you actually believe people do that, do you think that's whats more likely happening, than say.. people just have different opinions and sometimes those aren't positive towards something? 
Of course there are people who enjoy being cynical - I'm one myself. It's fun to take the piss out of something and degrade it because, psychologically, it makes you feel better and superior. There's no questioning there's a big divide between people who don't like things and people who are just cynical. Maybe I should word it as people jumping to ludicrous decisions based on next to nothing. Look at something like Kinect; mention it's name in the same breath as any other game and people instantly moan. But it could turn out to be the best gaming experience they've had. But they're judging it because it's easy to, and because their previous experiences are shadowing what they think. The other day there was a thread on here about Skyward Sword. The first comment was about how he didn't want to play another 'Nintendo rehash' because they release 'Zelda games every month'. That guy saw a thread about a  game he had no interest in, jumped in, probably didn't read the OP, and bashed it for no real reason.  

And have you not seen trolls on message boards? Sure, nowadays, the term is overused for anyone who has an opinion against someone, but there are still people who say purposely outrageous, mainly negative things to piss people off and get a reaction. Pachter admitted to doing it on that pre-E3 bombcast. He predicted Nintendo would go third party; it was based off of nothing, and said purely to get a reaction. He was being cynical for the sake of it.
korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#95  Edited By korolev

It's the internet: People like to make split-second judgements, and overreact to the slightest thing. The new media encourages people to make instant judgements about extremely limited information and tells people that first impression are always correct.

Also, it's not cool to ever been seen supporting something: It is, however, deemed "cool" if you are relentlessly, needlessly cynical about everything. Which is one of the reasons I am such a cynical person.

Frankly, we don't know enough about the Wii U to predict success or failure. But that doesn't stop people from acting like they do know things. It's part of a problem with modern culture: we tell people that their opinions are valued, even when they are dreadfully ignorant. For instance: Some hippie bozo saying that GM food is bad despite never picking up a single text book on genetics in his or her life! Yet their opinion is treated seriously, despite the fact that they are incredibly ignorant and have no first hand knowledge of the subject.

Same with video games: people feel their opinion is valid and should be respected, even if it is based on a few seconds of trailer footage. I will repeat that, to let the stupidity sink in: on a few seconds of trailer footage.

I was in the chat on the day when the Wii U was announced. Not 10 seconds in, people were saying it was under-powered and had no third party support. Had they bothered to wait 3 or 4 minutes, they would have learned that it does have quite a bit of third party support (Irrational, 2K, Warner, etc) and it can run games like the new batman game. But no. No need to wait until you have all the information - smart people, as we all know, make judgements even when they know nothing about the subject! Only chumps actually wait for information before launching into a vitriolic attack! Who has time to wait for info! I wanna say mean things NOW!

Also fanboyism - there will be people who will hate the Wii U or the Vita or the Kinect for no other reason than the fact that they don't have one and it makes them feel better about the console they own if they can trash those they don't, because they're 10 year olds without income and mommy wouldn't buy them two consoles. For anyone who is an adult with a job and owns all consoles, fanboyism is stupid. I own a 360, a PS3 and a Wii, and I have a great fun rollicking time will all consoles. I don't own a Kinect, but I might pick one up one day.

My Opinion on the Wii U? My opinion is worthless, and so is everyone else's because we know next to nothing about it. We don't know what the specs are. We don't know any of the launch titles for certain! Hell, we don't know the price. As for how the controller handles, unless you were at E3, how the hell do you know how it handles? Looks.... can be deceiving! I thought the 360 controller was going to be very uncomfortable to hold when I first saw the pictures, but when I actually held it in my hand, it's very comfortable to use!

Nobody knows if the Wii U will fail or succeed, and anyone who claims to know is either a liar or a fool. No one knows how the new tech will be implemented, or exactly how under or over powered the system is - again, anyone other than a technician at Nintendo is lying or being an idiot if they claim to know. We don't even know the PRICE! It's a cipher at this point!

There is nothing to speculate about the Wii U, because other than the name, a few shots of the controller and a few third party publishers, we know next to nothing about it.

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#96  Edited By RJay_64

I held the Wii U controller, and it felt fine. I didn't know people were saying it was hard to hold. When I was playing New Super Mario Bros. Mii, it felt like any other controller, except it was running what was on the TV screen on the controller screen. 

When I was playing Battle Mii, I had to move around the controller a bit to steer the spaceship. But at no point did I think it felt awkward.

CagePlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By CagePlay

As mainly a PS3 player I'm really excited about the potential of the Wii U. I think the negativity you describe is to balance out the amount of over hyped makjeting that is churned out on a day to day basis to the masses. So I agree with your point on the consumer wanting their own power.