Anyone listening to the Glixel Podcast?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Likely, I am late to the bar on this one, but I just started listening to the Glixel podcast, from the makers of Rolling Stone. As with a lot of people, I have been a big fan of John Davison's voice in the gaming industry for a long time. I have followed him from all his jump around the industry, but I have to say it been a long time since he has had a podcast group like he currently has - Simon Cox (Ziff Davis, Future US) , Rachel Weber (Eurogamer) and Miguel Lopez (Gamespot, Cnet, Ziff, IGN)

I only just started listening, but I like group dynamic already. Even the website is pretty good for Glixel....far more like Waypoint anything else I could liken it to on the net.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Can't say I've listened to it. I'm at a point where I've already got a few other gaming podcasts and adding another one might be a bit of overload.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Likely, I am late to the bar on this one, but I just started listening to the Glixel podcast, from the makers of Rolling Stone. As with a lot of people, I have been a big fan of John Davison's voice in the gaming industry for a long time. I have followed him from all his jump around the industry, but I have to say it been a long time since he has had a podcast group like he currently has - Simon Cox (Ziff Davis, Future US) , Rachel Weber (Eurogamer) and Miguel Lopez (Gamespot, Cnet, Ziff, IGN)

I only just started listening, but I like group dynamic already. Even the website is pretty good for Glixel....far more like Waypoint anything else I could liken it to on the net.

I don't listen to many podcast these days but I do enjoy the content they put out on Glixel quite a bit. They did an article a couple months ago on Amy Hennig that I thought was really interesting and something you don't see from a lot of publications these days.

Might have to give this a listen at some point though. I did enjoy Mr. Davison quite a bit though on the 1up Network.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cerberus3dog

I'll give it a spin. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: I'm liking it a lot. Listening to the episode talking about the Switch announcement. It's refreshing hearing a podcast that isn't fully American.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I am actually listening to the Glixel podcast. I enjoy it. Davison's voice makes me reminiscent of the old 1UP Yours days, but this podcast is, for now, pretty different. There aren't as many tangents and the show is fairly "clean", but it's still very interesting to listen to this crew discuss a topic or two.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I listen to it purely for JD the fact that they have other great voices on there is an added bonus.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I had no interest until you mentioned John. Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a shot.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

I had no interest until you mentioned John. Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a shot.

When Glixel was announced a lot of people thought "Rolling Stone...humanistic look at games...ahh, no thanks", but I think the people they hired made it work.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Well, the ended more quickly than I thought.

I get it, it is just business, not personal. Having a San Francisco office for seven people is/was not cheap. However, I think Rolling Stone will find that a lot of credibility for Glixel came from John Davison (IGN, GamePro, CBSi), Simon Cox (Ziff Davis, Future US) , Rachel Weber (Eurogamer) and Miguel Lopez (Gamespot, Cnet, Ziff, IGN).

Their podcast was amazing, I would listen to the Glixel podcast every week and I loved everyone's insights oif teh news because they knew teh industry so well. Even if you were not a fan of Glixel's "behind the industry coverage," that was OKAY because their podcast was about as close to 1Up Yours as anyone had right now.

I wish the best of luck to the people working the East Coast and their freelancers. It is a damn shame, yet I know they will land on their feet.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ThePanzini  Online

Its always sad to hear people lose their job but I'm kinda scratching my head as to how they expected to survive. First I never knew they existed Glixel is such an awful name that doesn't scream video games and going from their history they only ever published 1-2 stories a day consisting of social media personalities and esports its an odd mix combined with inactivity I'm not sure why anyone would follow the site, having no video content and lacking a YouTube presence seems crazy for a newer site.