Anyone playing any horror or horror themed games for October?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

I just picked up Control but haven't started. Would that count? I haven't looked much into it cuz I was gonna play it cuz it's Remedy.

I played Fatal Frame last year around Halloween time so I was thinking maybe I'll dive into Fatal Frame 2. I came away pretty lukewarm on FF1 so I'm not as excited to play another one but it has stayed with me much more than I expected to.

Another candidate I'm strongly considering is The Evil WIthin 2. I quite like TEW1 so no clue why I haven't played it yet. I think hearing it's open world sounded like a time sink so that's kept me away from it.

And then there is Resident Evil 7. I like the old school style RE games but I played REmake2 already this year so maybe I'll hold off on another RE.

The last one I'm really thinking about is Dead Rising 1. I rented it once when it came out back in 2006 and I remember really enjoying it but that's my only experience with the series. I bought it sometime ago on PS4 but haven't touch it. I'm leaning towards this game because Idk if I'm in the mood to be all tensed up and spooked. This is the only lighter affair and maybe it's the best choice atm.

Anyways, any of y'all playing any horror games for October or considering it?

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

@liquiddragon: I wouldn't call Control a scary game. It has creepy moments and great atmosphere, but nothing particularly scary.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes: I'm thinking broader. That's why I said horror or horror themed games. Horror doesn't have to be scary.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have been playing a few, and some I haven't started yet. Some are old and some more recent. I also am waiting for some Halloween sales on Steam and GOG.

Clive Barker's Undying

The Suffering and The Suffering Ties that Bind

Alan Wake

Alien Isolation

The Evil Within 2

Prey (2017)

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@liquiddragon: I guess then Control counts.

To answer your question, I am playing some Walking Dead games I never had the chance to play before Telltales' demise, listening to some horror podcasts, watching Us and reading some Junji Ito...

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I did Evil Within 2 last year and really recommend playing through that. This year.. haven't had the time!

sakesushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a huge wimp with horror games, but I'm hoping SOMA without the baddies is something I can get myself through this Halloween!

I gotta throw out Playdead's Inside for anyone looking for a spooky game. No game (that I was able to complete) has ever been able to get under my skin quite like that one, and I'm sure it'll be on sale this holiday!

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sakesushi: Same here, horror games unnerve me so I'll be watching Abby and VinnMike MaharVella's Six Crazy Frights. Also I'm watching a play through of Evil Within and Silent Hill: The Room.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm probably going to suck it up and play Devotion around Halloween. I played the first act of the game, but stopped because I am a chicken when it comes to horror games. I'll probably restart it and try to power through it in one sitting, since it sounds like that game takes about 2 to 4 hours to beat.

Oh, I should probably finish Resident Evil 2 remake at some point. Kind of a similar situation. I played that game in short sessions, got distracted, and then, whoops, I haven't played that game in like 7 months.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking of going back to Vampyr, since I got distracted very early on and never got back to it.

Not exactly "horror", but definitely Halloween appropriate.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Tabletop, but I'm trying out the Blood Knight class in DND 5E next week. First time playing one, so I'm pretty excited.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By BoOzak

The Evil Within 2 isnt much of a time sink, the open world aspects are pretty slim. (thankfully) It's a great game, even though I preferred the original, as rough as it was at times. RE7 is also great, short and different enough from RE2 that I dont think you'll feel burnt out on it.

As for me i've been playing World War Z & Friday the 13th with friends (they were GWG & Gamepass) they arent exactly scary (more comical honestly) but it fits the theme well enough. I'm considering replaying Alan Wake. I never did do the dlc or finish American Nightmare.

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fatal Frame 2 is the best in the series IMO, but it is similar mechanics as the first.

I just finished RE2 remake, I think that's a good one to play this time of year.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: Glad to hear TEW2 open world isn't too much. I do also want to get into RE7 but it'd also be nice to have another good RE in my back pocket for sometime next year...stretch out my enjoyment a bit.

I liked the DLC episodes of Alan Wake, especially the 2nd one but I played the vanilla game and the DLCs together and I think that'd be the ideal way to consume them. They pick up right after the last chapter of the original game so Idk when you last played it but I don't think they'll do that much for you if it's been some time.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would play RE2 Remake but I'm too busy at the moment.

Fall semesters always suck.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bigsocrates  Online

I just played some Junkenstein's Revenge in Overwatch. Does that count? I feel like it does for me. It's an old game but I'd never played that mode so I booted it up and gave it a shot. It's fine, I guess.

I am going to play the Medievil remake when it drops and probably Afterparty.

I am also considering going back and trying to get the last achievement in Super Lucky's Tale, which is in the ghost themed world. So I have that going for me, which is nice. That game is about as scary as petting a kitten on a rainy afternoon, though.

I also want to go back and finish Doom 2016. I loved that game but I never actually finished it because I just got too busy. I was going to complete it right before the new one came out but now that's delayed so maybe I'll finish it for Halloween and then go back and do a fresh playthrough before the new one drops.

I'm something of a horror game wuss even though I like them in concept. I don't love being scared, but I like horror themed stuff with demons and vampires and the like. I may try an actual survival horror game this year though. Maybe RE 1 or 0 on the Xbox One. I played through RE 1 Director's Cut when it first came out so I kind of know that game. I do want to play the RE 2 remake but I'd like to go through 0 and 1 first, even though they're old.

ETA: I did in fact go back to Super Lucky's Tale to get the last clovers in the Spookington chapter (it wasn't that hard.) That was an achievement I'd been meaning to go back for for over a year so I'm glad I finally did it. I forgot how charming that game can be. It's nothing special but I'm really fond of it.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

If anyone has the Epic launcher installed, they gave away both Observer and Alan Wake's American Nightmare. Observer is definitely a harder lean-in on the horror elements while Alan Wake is a bit more surreal, but either would be a solid choice.