Are we getting two or three new hires?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BojackHorseman

Hey guys. Started thinking about the new hires when I was listening to the podcast today. After Dan left for NY, Jeff was talking about a new hire to fill his place. Recently the NY crew listed a position for a video editor. And now, Drew left, leaving an opening in SF.

So my question is, are we getting three new members to the crew this year? That's kind of incredible if that's the case, but also kind of frightening. I hope the voice of the site doesn't change too much, though some is obviously inevitable since it's so personality focused.

Also, what kind of personalities do you guys want to see hired? Do you want the Patrick/Austin type, with a lot of political view points and writing, or the Dan/Jason type, more casual and video focused? I would definitely prefer the Dan/Jason archetype.

Just wanted to finish up by saying that I think GB is in a better place than it's been in a long time right now. After Dan relocated to NY, I've actually started to view/listen to everything they put out. Vinny needed a guy like Dan to play off on, and it's been great. Quality wise, the coasts are basically on parity now. Film and 40's have been a highlight in the last couple of weeks as well. Shame that Drew left in the middle of this, but at least he'll be on podcasts in the future.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Zevvion

There are archetypes of crew now?

I want more of the Vinny archetype. If we get 5 of those, then we can combine them all to create an Advanced Vinny. Which will have even bigger hands and more hitpoints and stamina. That way, we get crazy Sleeping Dogs-like content for even longer and more often.

Whatever they do, I hope they don't acquire an attractive woman-archetype. They have way too much mana and cast those annoying spells that make you lose focus. I want to remain focused on videogames and not be distracted.

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Inresurrection
@zevvion said:

Whatever they do, I hope they don't acquire an attractive woman-archetype. They have way too much mana and cast those annoying spells that make you lose focus. I want to remain focused on videogames and not be distracted.

Are you twelve years old or something? Or just the least self-aware person who ever lived?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they get at least one this year.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

We're getting two, I'd say. One for the east coast, someone for Vinny to mold into the silliest, and perhaps yet most capable, producer of all time. Vinny works his ass off, not only is he the single producer they have over there (and they still do more content than west), but he's also in almost every quick-look, and participating in every live stream. Oh, and hey; he's the head of video for GB in general, which means he has plenty of meetings to attend. So him getting a helping hand is a godsend. And this isn't even delving into his family situation, with a house that has previously leaked poop through the walls and children at an age where they need constant supervision.

Secondly I expect another hire for the west coast to fill Austins shoes, they're seriously lacking staff right now and they need another editor, especially one who is capable of reporting on some news. Now, don't you get me wrong, but Jeff and Brad alone? That ain't gonna' work for long. I love Jeff, but he has very specific tastes in video games and is not fit to handle the weirder stuff, or you know, anything that isn't in his wheelhouse of preferred genres.. As for Brad? He's years overdue on eating a hat before I can even begin to respect him again.

We need someone to fill the niche slot that Austin, and previously Patrick, did. And while I feel the balance on the east coast works wonderfully in regards of their podcast, as well as their live streams, content, etc. The west has been lackluster for quuiiite some time now. I don't think I'm the only premium subscriber who just gave up entirely on UPF. Now with Drew gone, they need a fresh face that can bring some excitement, and shake up the format. Now, look, I ain't really one to give a gosh darn about "diversity" for every website. Heck, I think you americans took the PC shit way, waaaaaay too far. That said, I still believe in it in general, but I don't think you should hire someone because of their skin-colour or their gender. That said, a female reporter would be nice for the west to have. A Mary Kish would have been INCREDIBLE, but that is unfortunately not happening.

As long as it ain't another older white dude with the exact same game tastes as Jeff and Brad, I'll be A-Okay. (Unless it's Will Smith)

mjhwwbg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mjhwwbg

I trust them to make good hires and get people on board that they gel well with, it's what they have done in the past. That's what I want more than a specific "archetype" - for them to be happy which means good content for us!

I'm guessing three new hires (1 in NY and 2 for SF).

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The descriptions for the "archetypes" don't even make much sense to me. Neither Austin or Patrick were especially political on this site, and both appeared in a shit ton of video content. Not sure what defines casual in this instance.

Putting people in very specific terms like this just seems kind of odd to me, not to mention restrictive.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess, they'll fill an off-screen position that works video content for both locations fairly quickly and then eventually fill an on-screen position for SF.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mellotronrules

i think 'archetypes' is strange way of thinking about it- chemistry is paramount. ideal scenario would be someone who ultimately has their own unique voice/energy, but is able to riff with the rest of em.

it would be cool if it was someone who offered perspective outside the current staff- but as long as they gel with the gang that'd be enough.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WynnDuffy

Dan/Jason. People who always bring up politics in relation to games or write essays about a woman's cleavage make my eyes roll. There is absolutely no shortage of political commentary around and I don't need to hear weak sauce reasons for why a game represents everything wrong with the GOP/DNC. Polygon is my kryptonite...

I think the two above are the best hires the site has made and fit a lot better with the site's overall tone than others.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By Zevvion

@zevvion said:

Are you twelve years old or something? Or just the least self-aware person who ever lived?

Ah, the ultimatum. How I love those.

Anyway, I was making a joke. Jokes that are rooted in truth are the funniest ones of all; scientifically proven. According to science, you should have laughed.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the most part I'm just hoping the shadow of war unfinished was the first step in the drewification of rorie. I would very much welcome it to see/hear him more regularly in site content going forward.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dafdiego777

@hans_maulwurf: haven't seen it yet but I would assume that's what's going to happen over the next couple of months.

I hope they get one person in by early May so we can spice up the E3 hijinx again.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think there's room for another person in line with what Patrick and Austin brought to the site. I always appreciated the different perspective on things even if I'm not super invested in that side of games journalism. I'd rather see someone like that join the West team as I feel like Alex sort of fills that role fairly well already on the East coast. I definitely also want to see someone akin to Dan on the West side too - someone high energy who can churn out good content and force the other guys to do stupid stuff.

As for the GB East hire I think someone in a "straight guy" role would be funny. Someone to call out Dan and Vinny when things go off the rails and ground everyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

They should hire a person that is passionate about video games. That seems pretty important.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO, the most important thing is that whoever they hire their personalities have to mesh with the crew. I think that's obvious. Having said that, I would really like a female perspective on Giant Bomb. People with diverse backgrounds and experiences bring interesting viewpoints so I'm all for that.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By poveren

They're getting one for East, and two for West. How soon, nobody knows.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

It's three hires according to Jeff's tumblr.

http://jeff.zone/post/157550301456/so-it-previously-sounded-like-you-were-hiring-two

rookems asked:

So it previously sounded like you were hiring two people. One for East to make things more interesting there, and one for West to help fill Dan's role. With Drew leaving are you now looking for three hires?

Jeff- Yes. Can’t officially start the process to get a video producer postiion open until after Drew’s last day, but that’s the rough plan.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video guy to support Jason. Griffin's ready but THE MAN won't allow it.

boatorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By boatorious

@slag said:

It's three hires according to Jeff's tumblr.

http://jeff.zone/post/157550301456/so-it-previously-sounded-like-you-were-hiring-two

rookems asked:

So it previously sounded like you were hiring two people. One for East to make things more interesting there, and one for West to help fill Dan's role. With Drew leaving are you now looking for three hires?

Jeff- Yes. Can’t officially start the process to get a video producer postiion open until after Drew’s last day, but that’s the rough plan.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Austin's replacement (technically Dan's replacement), Drew's replacement, and a new video producer out east.

In the meantime, this is going to be a golden age for the Jeff-Brad quick look.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Not to be all Mr. Perspective, but, please don't reduce these human beings to a Type... It's the least we can do as the community of the most personality-driven thing on the internet. Austin and Patrick are not the same. Neither are Dan and Jason. I feel you, to an extent, but the last thing we need here is to view the crew as simple types of Funny, Tired, Political, etc.

Anyways!

I did assume 2 hires for GBW, but who knows. Traditionally you'd think they get someone to replace Dan on-screen, then another who starts out mostly helping behind-the-scenes and slowly transitions to video content. Jeff may have other plans though, hard to say. Plus, the whole Drew Age was unplanned, so I don't know that we can really expect any video producer to also be a face-guy necessarily.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Someone who makes a good on-air personality in videos and has good chemistry with everyone else and knows how a podcast works and doesn't talk over everyone or hog the mic all the time.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of game politics at this point. It seems like every other games site or geek culture site has political undertones in videos and op-eds now, not to mention all of the stuff on YouTube. We get enough political BS in real life as it is so I really don't want that in games because it's one of the only places left were you can kind of escape from that. That's one of the reasons that drew me to Giant Bomb - it's just about playing games and having fun with friends, nothing more.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

For the most part I'm just hoping the shadow of war unfinished was the first step in the drewification of rorie. I would very much welcome it to see/hear him more regularly in site content going forward.

That's what I'm saying , hire a business dude and bring Rorie to the masses.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Only thing I can say about this whole thing is my super long shot dream GB hire of Rob Zacny went to Waypoint so that's too bad.

I just hope GB keeps being fun and they get someone who has some different genres of games as an interest. Strategy and RPGs would be cool.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

I'll echo the sentiment that "archetype" is a weird way to put it.

I'm honestly happy with anyone they hire, though I would be pretty stoked if they hired someone of a different gender profile than "straight dude". Either of those two words not applying would make me pretty stoked. And I say this as a straight dude; I just think it'd be cool to see GB get more diverse. I won't take up my pitchfork and get all angry if that's not the case, though; obviously the top priority is finding someone who will either work well in the structure of the current site, or add something new to it that makes it better, the way Austin did.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Everyone knows that the new hires are Mary Kish, Danny O'Dwyer and Peter Brown, who will also continue working for GameSpot at the same time.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Osaladin

I hope they get people I've never heard of before. That was how it was with Austin, and I love that man.

I would love to see some diversity in the GB crew, I won't push for it or be mad if it doesn't happen, but I'd be disappointed at the missed opportunity. Fresh voices are always good, in print or video. I look forward to seeing who they choose.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoever it is, I just hope they fit in well and aren't a burden. GB has been lucky (or smart) so far, but you never know.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hans_maulwurf said:

That's what I'm saying , hire a business dude and bring Rorie to the masses.

That is actually a direction I didn't think of. Rorie certainly already has all the cho(m)ps required to fill an on screen role. Certainly had better credentials for it than for his current job (Well solo running his own site certainly helps with the many hats) and more than just about anyone else in the industry.

But I do doubt that they will do that. The crew definitely has expressed that they want new fresh faces that can evolve the site in new exciting ways.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason the tone of 'new hires' threads always rubs be the wrong way and I can't work out why.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BojackHorseman

Man, I gotta say one thing. There's a fair amount of comments in this thread about hoping they not hire a white, straight guy. Then the same people reprimand me for using the word archetype to describe someone. I mean, come ON. You gotta see how stupid that is. Spoiler; white guys are just as diverse as anyone else. Shocking, I know.

Also, if I were to say something like "Boy, sure hope they don't hire a black, lesbian girl", I'm pretty sure I'd first get banned, then rounded up and strung by the neck. No obviously not the last part, but you get what I mean. It's just a weird double standard.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By uhtaree

I hope they get more men who just want to watch the world burn, it's why I come here.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@splodge: C'mon now, don't be ridiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman: I can count like, maybe one? I feel like both of those statements you just made are kind of hyperbolic.

Honestly this comes across as fishing for a political debate.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really, it's the waiting that's killing me.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bojackhorseman: Fair amount? Unless they've been deleted I don't see any. After reading that statement I scrolled up out of curiosity because I hadn't noticed anything to justify that reaction. I struggled to find maybe one person hinting at that topic?

Anyway, I'll say the same thing I always say in the other new hire threads we've had in the last month or two. I hope to see someone who loves strategy and rpg games as much as me. Ever since Austin left I haven't seen that represented with as much enthusiasm.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magmamud: @mezza:

"As long as it ain't another older white dude with the exact same game tastes as Jeff and Brad, I'll be A-Okay"

"I would be pretty stoked if they hired someone of a different gender profile than straight dude"

"Having said that, I would really like a female perspective on Giant Bomb. People with diverse backgrounds and experiences bring interesting viewpoints so I'm all for that."

I just think those kinds of statements are weird. It's fine to have wishes, but I think it's in pretty poor taste to be so specific about what kind of skin color and gender a new hire should have. Again, a weird double standard.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

West Coast needs some new talent. Jeff, Brad, and Jason are all the "straight man" and they have no jokester to bounce off of. Not saying they are ineffective without one, but it definitely boosts them.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe they are hireing 2 for prodution staff and one for programming(though that has been up for months)

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lv4Monk

@wynnduffy said:

Dan/Jason. People who always bring up politics in relation to games or write essays about a woman's cleavage make my eyes roll. There is absolutely no shortage of political commentary around and I don't need to hear weak sauce reasons for why a game represents everything wrong with the GOP/DNC. Polygon is my kryptonite...

I think the two above are the best hires the site has made and fit a lot better with the site's overall tone than others.

I don't want someone that perfectly fits into their tone, I want someone that challenges them while maintaining a certain level of chemistry. That and pretending politics don't belong in these discussions is worse than bringing them up in excess.

Good chemistry doesn't just mean "zero friction". I want someone that pushes the crew out of their comfort zone, something Dan didn't get enough credit for doing.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mellotronrules

@bojackhorseman said:

Man, I gotta say one thing. There's a fair amount of comments in this thread about hoping they not hire a white, straight guy. Then the same people reprimand me for using the word archetype to describe someone. I mean, come ON. You gotta see how stupid that is. Spoiler; white guys are just as diverse as anyone else. Shocking, I know.

Also, if I were to say something like "Boy, sure hope they don't hire a black, lesbian girl", I'm pretty sure I'd first get banned, then rounded up and strung by the neck. No obviously not the last part, but you get what I mean. It's just a weird double standard.

speaking for myself here- i think you need to slow that roll, chief. archetype is an odd choice of words because that implies that there's a predestined role every hire has to play, and that there are boxes to be ticked. i don't think anyone wants a hire on the basis of "you'll be the cah-razy guy! and then we'll get the academic to balance you out!" etc. etc. in other words- geoff isn't (hopefully) hiring the goddamned ninja turtles!

and then in terms of white dudes being diverse- uh, if you need that reaffirmed: sure. white dudes are complex. glad someone said it /s

i think those that express a desire for new blood (be it black, brown, white, he, she, zhe or anywhere on the beautiful spectrum that is humanity) see an opportunity for the bomb to go to new, interesting places. new perspectives enrich understanding. a 30-something white dude could bring that, but there's a lot of other life experience out there. (i would sincerely hope) no one wants tokenism- some people just want the bomb to try new things. and other people clearly want the bomb to never change. opinions, amirite.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

And with that, yet another hiring speculation topic bites the dust. But you probably knew this was going to happen, right?