Avatar: The last airbender RPG and or some other game

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DG991

I had a long plane ride to Israel and back so I put the Legend of Kora on my iPad and watched the whole series. I don't care if I am an Adult watching a cartoon from Nickelodeon, it was a pretty damn good show (I'm being defensive, aren't I?). I enjoyed it enough that I went back and watched the first Avatar on netflix. I'm really impressed by the world they created, and even though there are a bunch of questions about how and why stuff works in the world I still think it is a cool and original place.

So it occurred to me that the world they created would make a good setting for a RPG. Would anyone else have any interest in such a game? I checked Wikipedia and I saw they made some Wii games for the show a while back that don't look very good. Maybe when the new season for The Legend of Kora comes there will be renewed interest. Maybe they are even creating a game now and I am just unaware.

Btw, I have never seen the movie because I heard it was terrible from anyone who has seen it. I rather just pretend it doesn't exist.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I ended up thinking that, too, and I think there's some type of MMO that does that already (IE within the Avatar universe). Or maybe it was only planned out. Can't remember.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By FreakAche

Yeah I have yet to watch Korra, but I just watched the entirety of The Last Airbender on Netflix recently. It feels weird to say this about a show that wasn't from my childhood, but I think it might be the best children's cartoon I've ever seen. You're absolutely right, it seems we are overdue for a good video game set in that universe. I mean it's a show about people with elemental powers! JRPG devs have been doing that for years! How hard could it be to make a cool game?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Aegon

I don't think that would translate well. Avatar is very stylish and martial artsy and it would be strange sitting there selecting a move for Aang to perform when I've seen him do crazy shit before.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DG991

@Aegon: I would imagine you would not play as Anng, but as a bender of your choosing within the universe.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By NegativeCero

I would rather have a kickass action game set in the Avatar universe. But I agree that there should be a game made that isn't another shitty Burning Earth.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I totally adore the Korra series, never saw the other (and don't intend to, girl power > bald annoying kid).

I would be so down for a game in that universe with Korra if possible, she is bad ass.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FreakAche

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I totally adore the Korra series, never saw the other (and don't intend to, girl power > bald annoying kid). I would be so down for a game in that universe with Korra if possible, she is bad ass.

The Last Airbender is a fun show. The characters really grow on you by the end, even if some of them are a tad annoying at first. I think they're written better as the show goes on.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Zippedbinders

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I totally adore the Korra series, never saw the other (and don't intend to, girl power > bald annoying kid). I would be so down for a game in that universe with Korra if possible, she is bad ass.

You should absolutely check out the original series then, Toph, Azula, Katara, even Mai and Ty Lee all steal the show. There's just as much, if not more, girl power in the original series.

I picked up Jade Empire recently, I'd love to see an Avatar game built around that kind of gameplay. Earthbending would be the hardest, but it could still be very cool.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By MetalBaofu

I would really enjoy an Avatar RPG, or any genre of game really. The problem is the chances of it being good are probably low. On a side note, I also think an Adventure Time RPG could be interesting.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I totally adore the Korra series, never saw the other (and don't intend to, girl power > bald annoying kid).

I encourage people to watch the original series first. It is equally as great as Korra and adds back story to a lot of the characters in Korra. It also has Katara, so there is still "girl power" if that is what you want. Plus, I don't see how anyone could think Aang is annoying, but hey...opinions.

@DG991 said:

Btw, I have never seen the movie because I heard it was terrible from anyone who has seen it. I rather just pretend it doesn't exist.

Pretending that the movie doesn't exist is a good idea.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FreakAche

@Zippedbinders: I've started Jade Empire on multiple occasions, but could never really get into it. The action just felt weird to me. It seemed really apparent that it was BioWare's first attempt at an action combat system.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MetalBaofu@FreakAche:
I've watched enough of it to know that I don't like it, sorry.
What really pulled me into Korra was the setting as well as the main character, the steampunk vibe and Korra's human side (neglecting her destiny for a bit, loved that) really sold me on the show.
Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zippedbinders

@FreakAche said:

@Zippedbinders: I've started Jade Empire on multiple occasions, but could never really get into it. The action just felt weird to me. It seemed really apparent that it was BioWare's first attempt at an action combat system.

Its stiff at first, but the combat does open up and flow better as it goes. Still, its more of the idea that you can pick different styles for your created character. So being able to start as a specific kind of bender or nonbender, with all the dialog choices that allows you would be really fun. Especially in the face of Amon's antibending sentiment in Korra. It would be really ambitious, but it could be really awesome.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MetalBaofu

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@MetalBaofu: @FreakAche: I've watched enough of it to know that I don't like it, sorry. What really pulled me into Korra was the setting as well as the main character, the steampunk vibe and Korra's human side (neglecting her destiny for a bit, loved that) really sold me on the show.

Aang totally does what you just said you loved about Korra...that's really the entire basis of his character. I care way too much about Avatar, and my mind just can't comprehend someone not liking it, especially if they like Korra. Anyways, as I said previously, opinions.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WarlordPayne

Jade Empire would make a really good template for an Avatar game. The combat would obviously need to be improved but it's got the right sort of style to it.

The problem is that it's a children's cartoon so no one is going to sink the time or money into making a quality game when they can just pump out shovelware garbage and make a profit.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aegon

@Zippedbinders said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

You should absolutely check out the original series then, Toph, Azula, Katara, even Mai and Ty Lee all steal the show. There's just as much, if not more, girl power in the original series.

I picked up Jade Empire recently, I'd love to see an Avatar game built around that kind of gameplay. Earthbending would be the hardest, but it could still be very cool.

I'm not exactly sure how Aang is annoying. Honestly I greatly preferred the original Avatar to Korra. It's just better for me on all fronts. Artistically, story, emotion, voice work, action. All better.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MetalBaofu: That may be but as I said he didn't do it for me, I just didn't like this character at all.

@Aegon: I dislike it, it happens.
supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By supamon

As much I would love to see a serious attempt at an Avatar game, I think it'll probably wouldn't be very good or be made plainly for kids.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aegon

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@MetalBaofu: That may be but as I said he didn't do it for me, I just didn't like this character at all.

@Aegon: I dislike it, it happens.

Can I ask how many episodes you've watched?

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MetalBaofu

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

And, as I said, that's cool...opinions. Even if it is an opinion that tears out my soul, and makes my brain all confused.

Totoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Totoni

Haven't played Jade Empire but I'd imagine using something where you can choose a number of techniques which you can utilise. It wouldn't work as a normal RPG, this one needs to be an ation-RPG and with very fluid control so if you're waterbending it's important that you move correctly so your techniques are more powerful.

@WarlordPayne: Avatar is a kid's show, but it does have amazing writers and directors along with good voice acting, so I guess if it's possible to get the writers from the show working together with a developer who knows how to do a good action-RPG it could be pretty good.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By Seroth

I want an Avatar fighting game developed by a competent fighting game developer. That'd be sweet.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aegon: Most of the first season, like twelve episodes.
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

The universe in that show has some amazing video game potential. Sadly I doubt it will ever get used.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aegon

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Really? The last few episodes of that season were fantastic, although in terms of the human side, I think that comes through the most in the last season when Aang is stressing a lot. But really, it's still very present in the other seasons and is part of why the show is so great. Which is kind of what's confusing about your dislike of it since that's what you said interested you in Korra. Oh well, I guess there's some x-factor that's rubbing you the wrong way.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aegon: Yep but that's how it is.
Its not like I'm too happy about missing out on 3 seasons of a interesting show but for me it just doesn't do it.
Perhaps Ill read some recaps sometime and watch the later season, but I just couldn't get into it when I tried, Korra just gripped me from the start.
WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WarlordPayne

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

That's the point when the show starts to get good. You're right that Aang is pretty annoying up to then. The first half of the first season was very meh then it stays pretty great until the third season where it gets crappy again.

If you really enjoyed Korra it might be worth giving the original a few more episodes but I wouldn't go much beyond that if it doesn't grab you.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By TheHT

they could set it between avatar and korra.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MetalBaofu

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Perhaps Ill read some recaps sometime and watch the later season, but I just couldn't get into it when I tried, Korra just gripped me from the start.

Yeah, that could work. Or if you're ever stupid bored, you could watch a few more from where you left off, at least a couple episodes of it aren't a big time commitment since it's just 22 or so minutes per episode. I will say that Aang's character does seem to progress slower than Korra. The way the first season of Korra goes, it's almost as if they only intended to have it be one season. Seems a lot more fast paced than I remember Last Airbender being, but that's probably because Korra's seasons only have 12 or so episodes instead of 20 like Airbender does.

And, I guess I could see the age difference alone being able to turn some people off. Aang being 12 whereas Korra is 17.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#30  Edited By Little_Socrates

I've always felt it would make a better tabletop RPG than a video game. Especially with the world-exploring.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MetalBaofu: I've enough to see/read/game but I'll keep it in mind!
I just liked how Korra was the main focus, I rolled my eyes at Mako/etc at the start but they did some cool things with the romance right away to sort it out, that really got me into the flow of the show, not so many cliche's and no real "yo this is japanese shit" expressions, but a good mix.
Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Sarumarine

The DS version of Burning Earth is probably the closest they ever got to RPG related stuff. Not that it was a great game. Probably one of the more decent attempts in the grand scheme of things. I think the biggest weakness of the Avatar related games (as I've played an embarrassing amount of them out of morbid curiosity) is their need to regurgitate the show's seasons except now you can play it! The voice cast from the show gets roped into it and turn in less than stellar performances. I will say that The Last Airbender video game is actually way better than the movie its based on, but that probably wasn't hard to pull off.

But I'm one of those that really enjoy the world of the Avatar and what they've set up. They have easy rules and borders with great character design and the brilliant combination of real styles of martial arts to manipulate elements. An RPG would be a great fit. I think it would probably have to be an action RPG to make the most out of the physical motion of martial arts and the action that involves, but yeah. The Avatar world has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, it's primarily a kids show on Nickelodeon (granted, a very well done kids show that takes on a lot of adult themes like genocide and class wars) so I don't think the series is ever going to get it's Arkham Asylum or Knights of the Old Republic equivalent.

A long time ago, I did a blog entry joking about the different genres they could use for a good video game. But really, I think it would be great if they focused on that world rather than Korra or Aang's stories. Making up a whole new Avatar would probably work even better for that extra creative freedom. I would probably be more interested in smaller stories though, as the series excels with side characters like Zuko and Lin Bei Fong. I would love it if they did a cop game in Republic City where you play as a metalbender officer or maybe even one of the triads. Not in a GTA sense, but something like that.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MetalBaofu

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@MetalBaofu: I've enough to see/read/game but I'll keep it in mind!

That's good enough for me, and this is me basically making a guess, but the pacing of it does seem to be a problem for you(aside from not liking the character of Aang). I say that because a lot of the stuff you say you like about Legend of Korra is also in Last Airbender. It is just slower at getting to it. I mean...you still may not like it even if you were to watch all of it, but it does have a lot in common with Korra. I think it does, at least.

Anyways, I don't want to seem like I'm trying to force you into watching it, and I apologize if I came off that way or was annoying. It's just that I really love both of those shows. At least we agree with Legend of Korra being great.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DG991

I could totally play a RTS also... There are enough styles and machines in the world to make a pretty diverse strategy game. That would solve the problem of having to control very fluid moves and stuff since they would be automated with an attack move or something like that.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MetalBaofu: Hey no worries you're super passionate about this, I love it!
I will keep it in mind but seriously I just relate much more to Korra than Aang, the way she so headstrong and has this insane sense of justice (with the thugs at the start!) just clicked for me.
I'm really character orientated in these stories and some don't grip me even if I understand their story, like how I never felt the same way about Game of Thrones after that certain someone died.
MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MetalBaofu

@TaliciaDragonsong: I know Aang is the main character, but what about the others? Mainly Katara from the amount you have seen. I thought she was fairly similar to Korra in some ways. One or two other characters you might like better too, but they appear later, so you wouldn't have seen them.

I think I might agree with you about that Game of Thrones thing, if you are talking about who I assume you are. I do still enjoy watching Game of Thrones, but I really couldn't care less about most of the characters currently on it. And, if you are talking about something from the books that hasn't been on the TV show, then lets leave that at that. I've never read the books, so I only know about what has been in the TV show.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MetalBaofu: Let me put it like this: Korra.
MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MetalBaofu

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@MetalBaofu: Let me put it like this: Korra.

Yeah, I got that from your first post. I guess I was just curious why Katara didn't interest you.

Anyways, it's 6:30 AM, and I have taken this thread off topic long enough. Time to sleep.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MetalBaofu: Because Katara isn't Korra :P
DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DG991

@TaliciaDragonsong: Korra is mostly less interesting because she has had less tragedy in her life than Anng and the people traveling with him, imo. She is still cool in her own way though.