Battle Royale - voice chat?

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HIMSteveO

How do the fine folks of the GB community view voice chat in BR games? Do you think it's a necessity in order to do well? Or do you think in-game ping wheels/systems work well enough? I've pretty severe social anxiety, and to talk to strangers online in any game is incredibly uncomfortable, but people playing BR games seem to place a premium on communicating - I've played HEAPS of Apex on Xbox, never voice chatting once, and did relatively well, but Warzone seems to be treated/viewed a little differently. I also don't want to ruin anyone's fun. I always thought the ping systems work well enough to not require voice chat, but am I wrong?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#2  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Decent Battle Royale games have a solo mode, I'd never touch the ones that force you into groups.

Plunkbat in solo first person mode was incredibly tense (though I kinda fell of the entire genre after a few months, so haven't played it since like 2018).

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I end up getting killed super quickly in solo, or at least getting it from behind/out of nowhere, so I like to run in a squad purely for the possibility of respawns should I (when I?) fuck up... But, solo does remove the need to chat...

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4 sweep  Moderator

BR games are so competitive now that to do well you really do need to use all the tools at your disposal to win, and that includes both voice chat and ingame communication systems like pings and status updates. I'm pretty jaded by the inevitable terrible mic-etiquette that comes from playing with randoms so I almost exclusively play with like-minded friends on discord. Otherwise I'll just play solo.

Brakara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Playing with randoms is generally a miserable experience, but if I have to, I play with mute on. You're not going to be competitive though (even if you talk), especially against all those sweaty squads on Discord, and I personally prefer playing solo by far.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think it depends on the game. Some games voice chat isn't as important. Warzone not being one of them though. The ping system works ok, but in addition to voice chat not instead of. I play with a steady group of friends, and only with clear communication and learning each other's play styles have we been able to be competitive. I can't imagine winning with a squad of randos with no mics.

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, playing with friends would be the way to go. Not really a luxury I have though, friends who play games and play BR games to that sort of extent or level... Ah well, just keep grinding out, or hope the FFA arena shooter comes back :)

DarylHoward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarylHoward

@hippie_genocide said:

I think it depends on the game. Some games voice chat isn't as important. Warzone not being one of them though. The ping system works ok, but in addition to voice chat not instead of. I play with a steady group of friends, and only with clear communication and learning each other's play styles have we been able to be competitive. I can't imagine winning with a squad of randos with no mics.

completely agreed...

https://www.walgreenslistens.mobi/

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Public voice chat?

Hahahahaha no.