• 124 results
Kenshinfan818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kenshinfan818

So what are some of the biggest disappointments you guys have had while playing games? I know that I was pretty let down by dead island, what are some big moments you can remember being let down by?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones

Raccoon city. Wante tat game to be good. Gave it every benefit of a doubt and it came out very mediocre.

Also I had a weird hope naughty bear would be awesome…

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Rainbow 6: Vegas.

This introduced me to the whole idea of consolization. Worst Christmas present ever.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Draxyle

Dragon Age Origins. Great game of it's own right, but when I encountered the NPC that advertised DLC, Bioware was dead to me. I have never been so insulted by such a flagrant disregard for immersion in a fantasy game. I still get pissed every time I think about it. When I see all this rage over ME3, I have to ask, "Where were you guys when they pulled this nonsense back in 2009?". And when you think they had learned their lesson, they added another piece of DLC that was advertised in an even more disgusting manner.

In that same vein, The Sims 3, when I discovered that store with hundreds of dollars of day once DLC for a game paltry with content. Never touched an EA game again after that. As an artist of sorts, this kind of stuff probably offends me more than the average person.

Besides that.. hard to say. I'm usually super careful about the games I play. Maybe Skyward Sword. Fantastic game, but over tutorialization and information overload ruin any chances of me touching it ever again. It's an unfortunate example of a game that would be better if the programmers did less stuff to it.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Jay444111

GTA4. The main game is so unlikable, the cars suck ass, there is nothing to do once you beat the boring storyline. The only two things it did right was the story and the damn graphics, that game was made for graphic whores IMO.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By wmoyer83

Final Fantasy 13 was disappointing. Its not a terrible game, but I was hoping it would have expanded on what 12 had: high customization, a huge world, and the freedom to travel all across said world. Instead it was just a one way track from point a to point b.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By zeforgotten

The communities

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZeForgotten Beaten by minutes so I'll specify with negativity within communities.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Draxyle

@Jay444111 said:

GTA4. The main game is so unlikable, the cars suck ass, there is nothing to do once you beat the boring storyline. The only two things it did right was the story and the damn graphics, that game was made for graphic whores IMO.

@WMoyer83 said:

Final Fantasy 13 was disappointing. Its not a terrible game, but I was hoping it would have expanded on what 12 had: high customization, a huge world, and the freedom to travel all across said world. Instead it was just a one way track from point a to point b.

Oh man, both of you posted things I completely forgot right after me.

GTA4, I have to wonder if anyone who reviewed it played more than halfway, because I couldn't stand going through every overly scripted, boring mission to the next overly scripted, boring mission. There were great moments in the story, but besides the ending, the last third of the game is such an unbelievably tedious chore of a game. I didn't think it was possible to do that in a GTA.

And FFXIII I really had so much high hopes for. Listening to the battle music I thought, "There's no way a game with music this good to turn out bad, it just doesn't happen". Oh how wrong I was. If there was some actual story payoff in the end, it could have saved the game. But the only reason they would have for going full linear (story focus) was a complete waste since you had to do extracurricular reading to stand a chance of understanding that plot. And I don't think I've ever seen a worse, deus ex machina ending in a JRPG. Even Zeromus and Necron made more sense than anything FFXIII did.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mordukai

Hmmm. I would probably say my biggest disappointment would be finding out just how much FROM gutted the PvP in Dark Souls. They might have fixed it by now but the pain of that early realization still haunts me.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mandude

Dragon Age 2.

bokchoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bokchoi

@Draxyle: maybe you should unclench your butthole a bit and just enjoy the ride huh?

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By SSValis

What the Modern Warfare franchise involved into.

Crypt135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crypt135

@mandude said:

Dragon Age 2.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Dragon Age 2

Final Fantasy XIII

Crackdown 2

Oblivion

Gran Turismo 5

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xyzygy

It really irks me when people say FFXIII, like SE is being punished for wanting to do something different. If you want an old-school RPG, go play Lost Odyssey. If you want something completely new, fresh and different, go play FFXIII. If you're not picky play both and you'll win all around.

Anyway, I was really disappointed with Dragon Age. I wanted that game to be good, I was such a fan of EVERYTHING that Bioware put out before it. But the characters were annoying, the story was predictable, and it drew on so many overused archetypes. The DA universe is just not fun to me. All Bioware games after this period have left me very unsatisfied - something I think has to do with EA's takeover. IMO Mass Effect was their last great game.

I was a little disappointed with ODST. Too short, cheesy storyline and characters. Thankfully Reach made up for it.

Also I was massively disappointed by inFamous. That game has the worst open world I've ever been in. There is literally nothing to do besides the main storyline (which is made up of comic book cutscenes), collecting the blast shards which isn't really fun, and listening video gaming's worst character ever, Zeke.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Draxyle

@bokchoi said:

@Draxyle: maybe you should unclench your butthole a bit and just enjoy the ride huh?

Eh, perhaps. I think it's good to complain sometimes though, or those developers will never learn from their mistakes.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Hunter5024

This is the most obvious answer, but I have to say Dragon Age 2 was a big one. I could spend all day talking about just the little things in that game that bug me, and that's not even starting on the bigger stuff. Most recent disappointment was probably Soul Calibur 5 because they got rid of all of the characters I liked, launched with almost no content, and one of the worst story modes I've ever seen in a game. Final Fantasy XIII, Flower (Should've listened to Vinny), Every classic pc game people have convinced me to play in the last few years. I could go on but I'd rather think about games that were a pleasant surprise.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By senorfuzzeh

I was originally REALLY interested in the new Metal Gear Solid game, When it was just called "Rising" but then Hideo Kojima got all upset about the project, decided to do what Raiden does in the game and took a sword to the entire project, and handed the left over cut up, tiny bits of the game over to Platinum Games. And now it looks like Devil May cry :/

Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed Bayonetta and Vanquish, but Metal Gear is not the game I want them to be making...

They Don't even use a real word for it! "Revengance." Bleh...

EDIT: Before this it was when they never made a Beyond Good and Evil Sequel.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hunter5024

@xyzygy: You don't think being disappointed by Final Fantasy XIII is a fair reaction? Disappointment is made by expectation, and with how wildly different the entries in that franchise have been, and how diverse the fan base is, it was bound to be disappointing to a ton of people--regardless of the quality--simply because expectations were all over the place. No two people want the same thing out of that franchise anymore.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RE_Player1

The Mass Effect 3 ending.

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By fisher81

Dragon Age 2. Killed gaming for me for a while.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy

@Hunter5024 said:

@xyzygy: You don't think being disappointed by Final Fantasy XIII is a fair reaction? Disappointment is made by expectation, and with how wildly different the entries in that franchise have been, and how diverse the fan base is, it was bound to be disappointing to a ton of people--regardless of the quality--simply because expectations were all over the place. No two people want the same thing out of that franchise anymore.

Yeah, your'e right. When you look at it, the franchise has always been evolving - first FF2 had that weird pseudo-decision making system, 3 introduced jobs, 4 had character progression and depth, 8 had the Junction system, 12 had MMO style gameplay, etc. I guess that people just pick which systems they like better... but for someone like me who looks at the whole franchise, I can love every entry I've played BECAUSE they're so different. I thought 9 was one of the weakest entries because it took so many elements from past games and didn't really do anything new, while 13 was completely new on all levels and thus is in my top 2 for that franchise. (Between 13 and 8, still can't decide) I love the variety that Final Fantasy brings, while it brings others down.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Synthballs

@xyzygy said:

listening video gaming's worst character ever, Zeke.

You get out, get out right now and never come back.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#25  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I can't think of much else right now apart from Dragon Age: Origins. That game had been hyped up so much and I loved what Bioware had done with Mass Effect, but I just couldn't get into it. The gameplay felt underwhelming, I didn't think the game looked particularly good, and I just wasn't gripped by the world or characters. I tried it again more recently, but still, I just wasn't feeling it.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NicksCorner

Master of Orion 3.

Loved the first and the second, but the third was a turd.

Dragon Age II is close.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@xyzygy said:

It really irks me when people say FFXIII, like SE is being punished for wanting to do something different. If you want an old-school RPG, go play Lost Odyssey. If you want something completely new, fresh and different, go play FFXIII. If you're not picky play both and you'll win all around.

It's nothing to do with the game being different. I really love that each Final Fantasy game has been wildly different from the last, it's part of what makes the series work. XIII just wasn't a good game though, the story was ridiculous, most of the characters were bad and the gameplay just wasn't good. You're even using a Xenoblade Chronicles avatar, which is a great JRPG and a perfect example of how the genre can still be relevant. It handles the characters well, has a very original world and a great sense of exploration and wonder about everything.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28  Edited By JasonR86

This wasn't really a game per se but I remember being really irritated with how the 32X was handled way back when. At the time I was mostly irritated because my Dad was irritated and I tried to be like him. But, looking back, the 32X and in large part the Sega-CD really was one big cluster-fuck. Those fuck ups carried through to the Saturn and Dreamcast. Whoever was running Sega during those times did not know what the hell they were doing.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JasonR86

@fisher81 said:

Dragon Age 2. Killed gaming for me for a while.

Dragon Age 2 killed gaming for you? Fucking what?

hmmisee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hmmisee

Twin peaks ending, that was a game right?

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Huey2k2

Haze

Edit: Also Perfect Dark Zero

More Edits: Lair, Fable, Doom 3

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JasonR86

@hmmisee said:

Twin peaks ending, that was a game right?

The video game version changed the name to Deadly Premonition and retconned it.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bell_End

i get all excited like a little school girl and have massively unrealistic expectations about everything i play and if a game even slightly misses though expectations i HATE the game and i proceed to tell EVERYONE just how much i hate it. there is not middle ground for me i either fucking LOVE!!! or HATE!!! everything.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TwoLines

Heroes of Might and Magic IV. It wasn't the sequel I was hoping for. The graphics and the music were the only things I liked in that game.

Hmm... and I guess GTAIV. The story was pretty damn boring, and there were only a couple of missions that were worth a damn.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xyzygy

@WinterSnowblind said:

@xyzygy said:

It's nothing to do with the game being different. I really love that each Final Fantasy game has been wildly different from the last, it's part of what makes the series work. XIII just wasn't a good game though, the story was ridiculous, most of the characters were bad and the gameplay just wasn't good. You're even using a Xenoblade Chronicles avatar, which is a great JRPG and a perfect example of how the genre can still be relevant. It handles the characters well, has a very original world and a great sense of exploration and wonder about everything.

Maybe I can just overlook it's weaknesses. I agree that the story was all over the place during the actual gameplay, but when you read the codex entries it really changes what you think about the story... but, that's what novels are for. They should have implemented that into the actual storytelling. As for the characters, I thought Hope and Vanille were terrible but everyone else was great. I fucking loved the gameplay though (when it actually got challenging - around Pulse). I think that people just lost interest in the massive tutorial/story hybrid thing the game had going for the first 15 hours.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#36  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Quest for Glory V. It was an immense letdown beyond anything I'd experienced, before or since. After the brilliant (but admittedly bug-ridden) fourth game, I was prepared and super excited to see where the series would go next. But instead of another RPG-adventure with a ton of heart, we were spoon-fed a watered-down mess of a game aimed for the general masses. They stripped the series of nearly everything that gave it its identity, replacing the cogs with bland, generic drivel designed by a committee. The series lost its soul and it became something aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Man, I grew up with that series. As a very young child, the earliest games taught me sentence structure, spelling, and typing. I dreamed about Spielburg, the katta, and the plains. Quest for Glory IV was my first "talkie" PC game. In my mind, Sierra was the end-all, be-all collection of designers, writers, and producers, but when they went corporate, they crapped on everything that made them special. Quest for Glory V wasn't just my biggest gaming disappointment - it was the game that broke my innocence about what happens when companies and franchises start becoming about the dollar rather than the product and the consumer.

Fuck you, Quest for Glory V.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Addfwyn

@Hunter5024: Pretty accurate observation, the thing with FF is that they are so varied and everyone loves a different game, that nobody is coming to that for the same reasons. People want My favourite final fantasy-2 instead of a new different game, usually.

@xyzygy: Don't think I've had somebody sum up my opinions of the entire FF franchise so well before. I love every entry BECAUSE they do crazy and wildly different things and are always innovating. Also generally least impressed by IX and greatly liked VIII/XIII.

Disappointments for me are ANY game being released unfinished. I don't mean adding DLC or something later, I'm fine with DLC. I mean a game being released just...broken. Bethesda games are the worst offenders of this, and it sort of sickens me how they continue to get a pass on releasing games that are incredibly buggy or simply DON'T WORK on an entire platform.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ajamafalous

Mass Effect 2

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

Dragon Age 2

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ZenaxPure

You people hatin' on FF9 are killing me a little on the inside!

Anyway, I don't generally set up ridiculous expectations for games when going into them so I am rarely disappointed but I will say the more time I spend with Xenoblade I am slowly becoming disappointed by the combat. People often compare the game to FF12 which is a very fair comparison in a lot of ways. It's like a natural evolution of what 12 set out to do nearly 10 years ago at this point (speaking all the way back to it's announcement) with positioning based attacks, combos, etc. However sitting around 60 hours into Xenoblade now I sorely miss the ability to pause combat and dish out commands on my own. The ally AI, specifically the tanks, are just absolutely awful. They rarely ever use lock on auras (even if it's the ONLY aura you put on their active commands) and they make no distinction in attack priority for multiple mobs (basically using their aoe attacks before single target abilities. This is especially a problem with Dunban and his combos).

Pretty much all of it could of been solved if they would of taken the FF12/DA:O route and let me pause combat and give out commands on my own. There is nothing more frustrating then going into a fight with 3+ mobs and the tank AI refusing to use their aoe before 2-3 single target abilities.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Pinworm45

Command and Conquer 4.

(the real answer is the ending to ME3, but that's been said and will continue to be said)

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#42  Edited By Mnemoidian

Possibly Doom 3 - Which I expected to be moody and a little bit scary, with great action. Turned out to be about 90% just black, with jump-"scares" behind every door (no longer scary) and average gunplay. I've thankfully forgotten most of it by now, but coming out of Quake to play Doom 3 (no, I wasn't expecting it to be similar, I just expected it to be good), I was rather disappointed.

Or Brütal Legend. To be clear - I loved the game... except for the stage battles, which I didn't even know about 'till they popped up in the game, and I ended up lowering the difficulty because I didn't want to deal with the psuedo-RTS elements at the very end. I still think it's a great game... but I remember being extremely disappointed in what I was feeling about the game.

Kane and Lynch 2 was also a real stinker in terms of disappointment. I actually thought the first game was ok (though flawed), especially in Co-op. The second game... made me really angry at how poor and short it was.

Of course, the ending of Mass Effect 3 was devastating as well, but I'm not sure how anything could've lived up to the expectations.

... actually, I've come to be pretty disappointed by most games lately. Everything seems a lot more average than I remember them being in the past.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Karl_Boss

Mass Effect 2 for me.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I don't want to start that argument again, but Mass Effect 2.

Kenshinfan818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kenshinfan818

Fable 3 was pretty lame, I was really stoked for that, got the DLC and everything, and played through the campaign and was pretty bummed from it. It definitely let me down in a ton of aspects.

Kenshinfan818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Kenshinfan818

I forgot how quickly I got bored of Brutal Legend haha. That game got so boring for me, so fast.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#47  Edited By alistercat

The community. 'Fans'. Etc

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By warxsnake

brink

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By AndrewB

For as much as I still somehow managed to enjoy it, Dragon Age 2 has to be up there. For some perspective, I'm a huge fan of everything that is the Infinity Engine (games from that era developed by Bioware and Black Isle). Baldur's Gate 2 was my previous marvel of the gaming world, and Dragon Age: Origins was so well-crafted that I think it might just barely topple that bar because it uses a combat system that *isn't* a forced computerized version of a tabletop role-playing game. I probably don't need to elaborate on why Dragon Age 2 was somewhat of a disappointment. If you've ever heard a word about that game post-launch, you already know.

I was ever-so-slightly disappointed in Never7. I doubt anyone has a lick of understanding why because the game hasn't even finished being translated into English... but let's just say that there's nothing actually *bad* about it, it just happens to be an earlier work of writing where the writer improved their scope and style in later iterations. There's a convoluted "true" ending which I'm still not entirely sure about (whereas, for as complicated as two future titles ended up being, I've been able to self-analyze those two and comprehend what actually happened), and then an ending after that which is kind of a comic relief/ joke ending.

Saints Row: The Third. Everything that isn't a main mission, but contributes to your overall success in the game, is the same old boring open-world shit. I play a main mission and I'm blown away and laughing my ass off most of time; then I try to further my character by doing side missions and it's the same tedious open-world crap no one wants to see. It's enough to make me disappointed in the entire game (and enough to make it noteworthy here), although there are obviously parts I enjoy.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BoG

@WMoyer83 said:

I absolutely agree. I enjoyed the game, but it has to be my least favorite Final Fantasy. Even the battle system, which most everyone praised, was too uninvolving for my tastes (even compared to XII)