Bioware- AAA studio who can't do gameplay well?

• 96 results
chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By chickdigger802

Now that I think about it, Bioware is like the only 'Big Name' game company that can't really get the gameplay down.

With kotor as a starting point (wasn't really into pc gaming so never played their older titles so no expertise on those), hasn't all their games have less than stellar gameplay behind their awesome characters and environments?

I guess this just shows how compelling their stories are, that reviewers do seem to be a bit more lenient on scores. For AAA studio it's weird how their games systems seem more broken than the average eastern european rpg o_O.

I'm really curious how ME3 will do though. After playing a large part of Duke Nukem Forever, I'm sad to say the gameplay aspect is better than ME2 >.>" But that's 'kinda' apples and oranges so I digress.

Any other 'celeb' studios that don't bank on solid gameplay?

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PillClinton

Bethesda

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pinworm45

I really don't see how you can possibly say DNF had better gameplay than ME2. 

I'll grant you that ME1 was a bit broken and shit gameplay wise, but ME2 was more than serviceable. The control and fluidity was fine. It worked well as a shooter. I'm not really sure what could have been done to make it any better in that regard. 

Completely disagree with you that ME2 lacked solid gameplay.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By ReyGitano

@100_Hertz said:

Bethesda

I like the combat in both Bioware and Bethesda games.

Quickly, I must strategically retreat from this thread before I feel bad about myself. Or at least worse.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, how the hell does that work?

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#6  Edited By Little_Socrates

I loved Mass Effect 2's gameplay through and through. Meanwhile, most of their gameplay design is pretty solid, it's only their combat that seems to suffer.

Also, Fox Team (the Metal Gear Solid guys?) I liked the gameplay in those first three games, but MGS1 and 2 weren't exactly "good" gameplay, and since MGS3 they've had a lot more trouble. (Though I haven't played Peace Walker, which people like.)

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Pinworm45 said:
I really don't see how you can possibly say DNF had better gameplay than ME2. 
Kinda makes me think the dude is trolling. 
HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HubrisRanger
No Caption Provided
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463

They are off and on for me. I loved the game play in Baldur's Gate 2, KOTOR, and Dragon Age: Origins, but I really dislike the game play of the Mass Effect series increasingly with each new instalment of the series. Dragon Age 2 was just out right awful all around game play wise. I just think it comes down to them usually being able to tell a decent story with fun characters that you learn to care about, and passable game play.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chrissedoff

bioware's games play great, except for jade empire

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

/end topic.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By face15

Rockstar. 
Pretty much everything before Red Dead had pretty terrible gameplay systems.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

Rockstar, I mean they make excellent games.  But the driving, the walking, the shooting, the horse riding, and cover systems, are very clunky and can be alot better if they really devoted some time to improving it (i'm mainly talking about GTA, RDR, open world games they make).   What they do well is making game worlds and environments and creating a high quality story around it.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RE_Player1

@face15 said:

Rockstar. Pretty much everything before Red Dead had pretty terrible gameplay systems.

Word. Except maybe Bully.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By InfiniteGeass

The only Bioware game I can think of that I thought had bad combat was Dragon Age: Origins. Everything else is fine.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree.  Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2 (And even though a lot of people didn't, I even liked ME1's combat), and Baldur's Gate all had very satisfying combat in my opinion.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Their gameplay is better than Square's could ever dream of.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Animasta

@face15 said:

Rockstar. Pretty much everything before Red Dead had pretty terrible gameplay systems.

Red Dead was the fucking worst what are you talking about

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By chickdigger802

@Pinworm45 said:

I really don't see how you can possibly say DNF had better gameplay than ME2. I'll grant you that ME1 was a bit broken and shit gameplay wise, but ME2 was more than serviceable. The control and fluidity was fine. It worked well as a shooter. I'm not really sure what could have been done to make it any better in that regard. Completely disagree with you that ME2 lacked solid gameplay.

ME2 was fine, but there was no deviation at all from one gameplay concept. Every level was linear path with nothing besides cover and shoot probably less than 10 variations of enemy types. This would be fine for 5-10 hour game, but 20-30hrs?

Duke at least has some platforming, puzzling, driving, random interactions, etc. Not really a good game but I enjoyed the "gameplay" parts more. At least ME3 seems to be addressing these issues with... turret sequences. YAY!

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@face15 said:
Rockstar. Pretty much everything before Red Dead had pretty terrible gameplay systems.
Agreed, GTA 4 wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either.  Red Dead had fun gameplay though.

I haven't played through Ninja Theory's games because I hated the combat, but according to most Enslaved has great characters/story but I hate the gameplay.  

Bethesda is an obvious one.  

Can't think of any others right now...
Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Levio

BioWare is an American-owned Canadianvideo game developer founded in February 1995 by Ray Muzyka, Greg Zeschuk, and Augustine Yip, and currently owned by Electronic Arts. BioWare specializes in role-playing video games, and became famous for launching highly praised and successful licensed franchises, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. They later made several successful games based on original IP: Jade Empire, Mass Effect,Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age II. They are currently working on two projects: Star Wars: The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3, both scheduled for release in 2011. Dragon Age III has also been announced.

The BioWare Group of studios is now four studios (BioWare Edmonton, BioWare Austin, BioWare Mythic, and BioWare Montreal) comprising the RPG/MMO Group within Electronic Arts, with Muzyka, EA Senior VP and the Group General Manager and Zeschuk EA VP and Group Creative Officer of the BioWare Group; Yip left in early 1997 to return to medicine. Other senior leaders in the BioWare Group (RPG/MMO Group) of Electronic Arts are Rob Denton (EA VP and Group Operations Officer of the BioWare Group), Patrick Buechner (EA VP and Group Marketing Officer of the BioWare Group), Gordon Walton and Rich Vogel (EA VPs and co-General Managers of BioWare Austin), Aaryn Flynn (EA VP and General Manager of BioWare Edmonton), Eugene Evans (EA VP and General Manager of BioWare Mythic, in Fairfax, Virginia), and Yanick Roy (Studio Director of BioWare Montreal).

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

No no, gameplay is always excellent, its Bioware's sequels that suck.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Doctorchimp
@chickdigger802 said:

@Pinworm45 said:

I really don't see how you can possibly say DNF had better gameplay than ME2. I'll grant you that ME1 was a bit broken and shit gameplay wise, but ME2 was more than serviceable. The control and fluidity was fine. It worked well as a shooter. I'm not really sure what could have been done to make it any better in that regard. Completely disagree with you that ME2 lacked solid gameplay.

ME2 was fine, but there was no deviation at all from one gameplay concept. Every level was linear path with nothing besides cover and shoot probably less than 10 variations of enemy types. This would be fine for 5-10 hour game, but 20-30hrs?

Duke at least has some platforming, puzzling, driving, random interactions, etc. Not really a good game but I enjoyed the "gameplay" parts more. At least ME3 seems to be addressing these issues with... turret sequences. YAY!

Oh so now you're just going to cherry pick Mass Effect 2 apart to make it just look like a linear shooter?

So you're really gonna exclude every other story interaction and times when you had to explore levels where you just walk and talk and guide your way through?

mighty unfair....
chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By chickdigger802

oh yea, I don't think Bioware has ever done a fun boss fight o_O.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chop

I still don't understand the massive backlash Bioware seems to be getting these days... 

A year ago everyone loved them, now they're apparently one of the most hated developers on the internet. 

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By foggel

@Laketown said:

@face15 said:

Red Dead was the fucking worst what are you talking about

It was great. That's what are he talking about.

Towers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Towers

Opinions are like assholes.

Everyone has one.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nottle

I wish ME would try to be more of and RPG and less of a shooter otherwise it just becomes a ok shooter. Give me some loot and make the dialog not as transparent. Dragon Age Origins did a lot of things right. Make the crew intereact out side of battle. Don't make turret sequences.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Aetheldod

As a person who has played from complete crap fests  to god send gameplay I can be sure that Bioware games plays extremely well (including DA2 >:3) , I think you are just trolling ma boy

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By armaan8014
@InfiniteGeass said:
The only Bioware game I can think of that I thought had bad combat was Dragon Age: Origins. Everything else is fine.
lolwut
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By armaan8014
@Chop said:
I still don't understand the massive backlash Bioware seems to be getting these days...  A year ago everyone loved them, now they're apparently one of the most hated developers on the internet. 
YES!!! YES!! They DESERVE it! Make Dragon Age SHIT will you?! TAKE THAT!!
carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By carlthenimrod

@Chop said:

I still don't understand the massive backlash Bioware seems to be getting these days... A year ago everyone loved them, now they're apparently one of the most hated developers on the internet.

Can't say it really has surprised me considering how quickly people continue to flippity flop on other developers like Bungie and Infinity Ward.

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By chickdigger802

@Doctorchimp said:

@chickdigger802 said:

@Pinworm45 said:

Oh so now you're just going to cherry pick Mass Effect 2 apart to make it just look like a linear shooter? So you're really gonna exclude every other story interaction and times when you had to explore levels where you just walk and talk and guide your way through? mighty unfair....

well the gameplay parts are just that aren't they? When you enter a 'mission' you pretty much have only 1 path to go. The game even acknowledges that with it's big arrow when your in 'tactics' mode, but that's not what I'm complaining about. I'm more against how there were probably only a handful of unique encounters that felt somewhat different (half of those are dlc). Most are just enter map with assorted cover, and fight krogans (rarely), collectors, or misc mercs, with slightly different environment textures and skybox.

But go back on topic, I can argue ME2 gameplay all day in another thread ;)

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By mazik765
@100_Hertz said:

Bethesda

This. Can you honestly say that Bioware's gameplay is 'broken' and gets leniency from reviewers when games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 got great scores? Don't get me wrong, I love both those games but some of their gameplay is just flat out busted.

@xobballox said:
I disagree.  Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2 (And even though a lot of people didn't, I even liked ME1's combat), and Baldur's Gate all had very satisfying combat in my opinion.

Also this.
chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By chickdigger802

@carlthenimrod said:

@Chop said:

I still don't understand the massive backlash Bioware seems to be getting these days... A year ago everyone loved them, now they're apparently one of the most hated developers on the internet.

Can't say it really has surprised me considering how quickly people continue to flippity flop on other developers like Bungie and Infinity Ward.

Really? I felt that all bioware games are, ' hurry up with the gameplay bits to go back to the character and story bits'. Not really hating Bioware, besides some justfied reasons for DA2.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
@TheGreatGuero said:
Their gameplay is better than Square's could ever dream of.

Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy Tactics say hi
HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HerbieBug
@Chop said:

I still don't understand the massive backlash Bioware seems to be getting these days...  A year ago everyone loved them, now they're apparently one of the most hated developers on the internet. 

It's a boil over of held in check frustration about the changes made in Mass Effect 2 triggered by Dragon Age 2.  Mass Effect 2 was fine on it's own, but DA2 confirmed a clear change of direction in focus to their games.  Fans feel disenfranchised.  It feels on some level like a betrayal to see a developer of games you used to like take those games and retool them into something you don't, all for purpose of pandering to a separate larger group in hopes of selling more copy.  

I think the changes in Mass Effect 2 were tolerated by the RPG hardcore partly because of the existence of Dragon Age: Origins.  DA:O thoroughly scratched the itch that the shooterized de-rpg'd ME2 left.  Then to see Bioware turn the bastion of hardcore RPGness that was DA:O into another "streamlined" moron focused action game... it doesn't sit right.   Especially right now after the one bit of ME3 they decide to show off at E3 was a fucking rail shooting sequence. 
chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By chickdigger802

@HerbieBug said:

@Chop said:

It's a boil over of held in check frustration about the changes made in Mass Effect 2 triggered by Dragon Age 2. Mass Effect 2 was fine on it's own, but DA2 confirmed a clear change of direction in focus to their games. Fans feel disenfranchised. It feels on some level like a betrayal to see a developer of games you used to like take those games and retool them into something you don't, all for purpose of pandering to a separate larger group in hopes of selling more copy. I think the changes in Mass Effect 2 were tolerated by the RPG hardcore partly because of the existence of Dragon Age: Origins. DA:O thoroughly scratched the itch that the shooterized de-rpg'd ME2 left. Then to see Bioware turn the bastion of hardcore RPGness that was DA:O into another "streamlined" moron focused action game... it doesn't sit right. Especially right now after the one bit of ME3 they decide to show off at E3 was a fucking rail shooting sequence.

Been wondering, has the transition of more action less rpg actually helped out their sales? I don't recall the recent ones doing amazing (still really good).

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pinworm45
@HerbieBug said:
@Chop said:

Especially right now after the one bit of ME3 they decide to show off at E3 was a fucking rail shooting sequence. 
To be fair they also showed (not during the live conference) some of the new RPG character trees, and it's definitely more RPGish than ME2. Not quite as much as ME1 though, but a nice balance. 

Anyway, I don't get the people saying WHAT IS UP WITH PEOPLE CHANGING THEIR MINDS?! THEY USED TO LOVE THEM NOW THEY HATE THEM! LOL! 

Bioware has released a lot of games recently.. games that disappointed many people.. and you guys are surprised peoples opinion of them has lowered a bit? 

Things change over a year, sons.
niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By niamahai

The hardcore are never satisfied no matter what.

Because, they are, hardcore.

@chickdigger802:

ME2 sold more than 2mil (was on some EA press event long ago). i think FO manage to outsell the ME franchise, because they are better at deceiving people that its a FPS.

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By chickdigger802

@niamahai said:

@chickdigger802:

ME2 sold more than 2mil (was on some EA press event long ago). i think FO manage to outsell the ME franchise, because they are better at deceiving people that its a FPS.

Hmmm I'm really curious how well ME3 will do. If you haven't played ME1+2 or just 2, would you want to pick up 3? There marketing seems to emphasize 'end of a epic trilogy' aspect. Might turn off a few people.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By niamahai

@chickdigger802:

nah. They will get Gamestop to do pack-in deals with ME2. Or heavily promote a "Previously on ME" trailer.

Is there any recent video game trilogies where the final entry of the series gained more popularity than the earlier ones? Just for comparisons sake.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Nottle

@niamahai said:

Well people aren't satisfied when you rip out flawed but potentially interesting features in exchange for mediocrity.
innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By innacces14

It all comes down to how much you're willing to let the game embrace you. I went through six run-throughs in both games with all 6 classes. Worked my way from my favorite (infiltrator) down to the one I hardly payed attention to (engineer) and in that entire time there wasn't a moment where I said "okay. I'm done. Same ol' 'shoot out of cover' mechanics". It is what it is. That's like saying you bought a God of War game and didn't like it cause there wasn't a speech system a-la Fallout where you can basically by-pass every fight sequence with a speech check. It's got guns. You shoot guys with them. I spent my entire first run-through in ME1 just sniping heads off and upping my Sniper specialization to get that scope as steady as possible.

I also don't get the sentiment of why this game isn't as RPGish as the first one. Even down to the last 30 minutes of the engineer run I barely found out that Overload does have an effect on unshielded enemies. It doesn't lower their health a single bit, but it does overheat weapons so the enemy NPC gets stuck in a reloading animation for about 5 seconds. It's a form of crowd control. It's small, but it's there. When I found out about it I was kind of saddened that it was right at the end. I would have loved to have a go at the entire campaign bringing that little crumb of knowledge into each battle. Even singularity, a move that supposedly has no effect on shielded enemies and therefor got gimped in part 2, does so in fact by stunning them momentarily.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Doctorchimp
@chickdigger802 said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@chickdigger802 said:

@Pinworm45 said:

Oh so now you're just going to cherry pick Mass Effect 2 apart to make it just look like a linear shooter? So you're really gonna exclude every other story interaction and times when you had to explore levels where you just walk and talk and guide your way through? mighty unfair....

well the gameplay parts are just that aren't they? When you enter a 'mission' you pretty much have only 1 path to go. The game even acknowledges that with it's big arrow when your in 'tactics' mode, but that's not what I'm complaining about. I'm more against how there were probably only a handful of unique encounters that felt somewhat different (half of those are dlc). Most are just enter map with assorted cover, and fight krogans (rarely), collectors, or misc mercs, with slightly different environment textures and skybox.

But go back on topic, I can argue ME2 gameplay all day in another thread ;)

No.....the combat missions aren't the only part of Mass Effect 2 gameplay...

Are you a child?

And you can't even argue Mass Effect 2 gameplay in one post
niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By niamahai

Dunno about you guys but I've reached a point in playing RPGs where I want less weapon/armor

*i'm not a developer but sometimes I can feel their pain when i play a game*

Whats the point of generating multiple assets for different grade of gear when the player will always use the best item. And selecting 'DA BEST ONE EVA" isn't really a "complex' thing to do.

As for boss battles, I think they are harder to pull off nowadays. No matter how you script it, its just pattern memorization on the players part. The design the team will probably spend a lot of time creating/re-iterating these battles where the player will have a challenging experience only once. More time could've been spend making better encounters?

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Nottle
@niamahai:  Thats why you make good loot systems where the best armor isn't something you'll always get. In Borderlnds the gun with the highest damage stat may not be the best because you have to consider how you use the weapon, accuracy, rate of fire, among other stats.  

Other wise why make an RPG if there isn't some customization and a false sense of player progression?
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By valrog
@100_Hertz said:

Bethesda

punpun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By punpun
@valrog said:
@100_Hertz said:

Bethesda

nah
Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chickdigger802 said:

After playing a large part of Duke Nukem Forever, I'm sad to say the gameplay aspect is better than ME2 >.>" But that's 'kinda' apples and oranges so I digress.

Welp.