Brian Ekberg is leaving Gamespot. Anyone cares?

• 152 results
bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By bybeach

He seems good ppl. I would like to see him here, betcha he has options.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By Red

Meh, didn't hate the guy, but didn't care much especially for him, either. 

And I am completely apathetic to there being sports content on the site. Just don't care.

immike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By immike

Well, I wish him the best in his future endeavors. He's definitely an industry veteran at this point.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Joshakazam

The Giantbomb crew were the only US Gamespotters that i cared about.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#55  Edited By NickLott

I haven't been to Gamespot for the last few years (for obvious reasons) unless I accidentally followed a source link to it but he's definitely a great personality from the time that I did use to visit regularly and take in the video and audio podcasts.  

He and his beard are good people.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#57  Edited By Yummylee

I'm more leaning towards the ''don't really care'' side of things.

braqoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By braqoon

I do hope he will come to GB. In the old GameSpot he was one of the best. I would like to suggest Homer Rabara as well but don't know relations between him and GB.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By DystopiaX
@RiotBananas said:
" @Dany said:
" GB needs sports on the editorial side. "
Navarro. "
when he reviewed backbreaker i was like holy shit! 
But yeah, they only need alex to review the 5-10 relevant sports titles of the year. If they have a dedicated dude their staff becomes bloated. 

In Gamespot news, the only 2 editors I know now are Kevin VanOrd and Sean McInnis, and I like neither.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#60  Edited By Hamst3r

MECHBERG!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Scooper

Brian Ekberg is so cool. I used to listen to his sports podcast with Shanker and Aaron Thomas all the time. It was super funny. He was one of the best guests on the old Rich Gallup HotSpots back in the day. One of the most important figures of GameSpot for me.

chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By chewii101

Mechberg away!!!! 

Cheers to him and his awesome beard.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By swamplord666

Well once kevin Vanord is gone, Gamespot might as well close its doors. 
I do hope Brian Eckberg finds a good home. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Giantbomb offices at all! After all we need a sports guy :D

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DystopiaX
@swamplord666 said:
" Well once kevin Vanord is gone, Gamespot might as well close its doors. I do hope Brian Eckberg finds a good home. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Giantbomb offices at all! After all we need a sports guy :D "
I think what it really comes down to is if you feel Giantbomb needs a dedicated sports guy. IMO, they don't. I like the team small. Add a sports guy and you start adding more dudes, until the staff is just bloated.
HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By HODGEY3000

meh 
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By swamplord666
@DystopiaX: I do agree that the team needs to stay small, but in terms of games that get too little coverage due to lack of interest, it is by far sports. RPGS are covered by Brad and Dave. One more addition wouldn't hurt the team I don't think. At the end of the day, this is all speculation :)
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By DystopiaX
@swamplord666 said:
" @DystopiaX: I do agree that the team needs to stay small, but in terms of games that get too little coverage due to lack of interest, it is by far sports. RPGS are covered by Brad and Dave. One more addition wouldn't hurt the team I don't think. At the end of the day, this is all speculation :) "
But honestly, I don't feel that sports games need all that coverage. As I pointed out earlier, the reviews can be handled by any of the authors or Alex (who did the backbreaker review). The news can be handled by the news team. The editorial team is perfectly capable of covering the minimal changes in every years' new iteration of Madden and such.
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#68  Edited By alternate

"staying in the industry" is generally code from "community manager at a developer".

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#69  Edited By WickedCestus

I care! I love Brian Ekberg, and I hope he comes on for a bombcast. Or, he could be a PR guy and they could interview him.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#70  Edited By Sooperspy
@DystopiaX said:
" @swamplord666 said:
" @DystopiaX: I do agree that the team needs to stay small, but in terms of games that get too little coverage due to lack of interest, it is by far sports. RPGS are covered by Brad and Dave. One more addition wouldn't hurt the team I don't think. At the end of the day, this is all speculation :) "
But honestly, I don't feel that sports games need all that coverage. As I pointed out earlier, the reviews can be handled by any of the authors or Alex (who did the backbreaker review). The news can be handled by the news team. The editorial team is perfectly capable of covering the minimal changes in every years' new iteration of Madden and such. "
I just dont think you like Brian at all. Like hes on your "To Kill" list or something. That's why you're so against him being on the GB team.
eloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By eloj

Do people who mostly play sports titles actually visit gaming websites? I get the impression they just buy the latesta EA $starname $sport $year title and play that until the next one comes out. Repeat.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By Venatio

I haven't visited GS in a long time but he was one of the few that I still liked

Good luck Mechberg

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#73  Edited By skrutop

Do they really need someone dedicated to sports game reviews?  For new franchises, Alex handled Backbreaker and Jeff took care of UFC Undisputed just fine.  For the established franchises, are there people out there who are on the fence about picking up the latest Madden, NBA Elite, or NHL and need GB's input?  I tend to doubt it.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By luce

Eckberg is the man

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#75  Edited By Trilogy
@skrutop said:
" Do they really need someone dedicated to sports game reviews?  For new franchises, Alex handled Backbreaker and Jeff took care of UFC Undisputed just fine.  For the established franchises, are there people out there who are on the fence about picking up the latest Madden, NBA Elite, or NHL and need GB's input?  I tend to doubt it. "
I understand your sentiment but people don't come to GB for sports game news because none of the guys provide it. You don't go to the desert for water. 

Regardless, I've always liked Eckberg so I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes.
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Mechberg was the only thing I missed from the GS days. And now that's fixed!

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By RVonE

It seems to me that he's moving on to EA or something like that.
voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By voodooterror

gb do need somebody to do sports games, but i think i remember jeff saying that he was gonna get alex to do them

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Binman88
@RVonE said:
" It seems to me that he's moving on to EA or something like that. "
Yeah, probably. Would be cool to have him come to GB though.
Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Jothel

His old blank video podcasts were pretty funny, hope he makes an appearance on the bombcast while he's free lance, best of luck to him in his future

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he was one of my favourite editors there, well good luck to him.

Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Clembo
@RE_Player92 said:
" Gamespot is still around? "
They are bigger than IGN now in terms of views per month.

I can see why Eckberg left, but what took him so long?  It was totally a shock to see Jeff leave but after what he did with Giant Bomb that seems like a pretty damn good dismissal.  Getting fired for a fair and honest review, fronting a new and better website that doesn't take scores and shit too seriously, then (soonly) giving his fair and honest review on the sequel (Kane and Lynch 2 actually looks quite ok if anyone plays it online, that is).  Not forgetting Ryan's part in all this, or the rest of the crew, but Jeff's departure set the internet alight.
sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#83  Edited By sins_of_mosin

He seemed alright.  Not a tool like the rest, thats for sure.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By iamjohn
@RE_Player92 said:
" Gamespot is still around? "
Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Zlimness
@demonbear said:
" @Dany said:
" GB needs sports on the editorial side. "
Indeed, it is Giantbomb's weakness imo "
And driving games, which Ekberg incidentally is pretty good at.
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By guiseppe

I liked him, the few reviews I read at least. He's a sports guy, and I don't like sports so I didn't read too much of it. I hope things work out well for him though.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By DystopiaX
@Redbullet685 said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" @swamplord666 said:
But honestly, I don't feel that sports games need all that coverage. As I pointed out earlier, the reviews can be handled by any of the authors or Alex (who did the backbreaker review). The news can be handled by the news team. The editorial team is perfectly capable of covering the minimal changes in every years' new iteration of Madden and such. "
I just dont think you like Brian at all. Like hes on your "To Kill" list or something. That's why you're so against him being on the GB team. "
Nah, I just think that if they pick someone to join the team I'd rather have adam sessler (who's pretty good despite getting bad rep for being on G4), or just have Alex do shit on a semi-regular basis.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Who is leaving what now? 

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By FreakAche

Too bad. He was one of my favorites of those still at Gamespot. Now Tom McShea is the only personality at Gamespot that's worth following. Him and maybe Kevin van Ord.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Clinkz

Who?

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#91  Edited By Stefan

One less reason to go to GS. Seriously he was one of the few dudes I liked. I still like Mr Mac D and Mr Ricardo T. though.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ch13696

WTF??? Who is this guy? He does editorials on sports games? NO I don't give a fuck about him. Come back top me when sports games do matter. When EA actually skips a year on releasing Madden. Same goes for all other sports games.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By GunslingerPanda
@ch13696 said:
" WTF??? Who is this guy? He does editorials on sports games? NO I don't give a fuck about him. Come back top me when sports games do matter. When EA actually skips a year on releasing Madden. Same goes for all other sports games. "
Or maybe when a sports franchise sells something like 70 million units?

Oh, wait...

You're an idiot. I'm not a sports fan at all, but saying sports games don't matter is simply very, very stupid.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By ch13696
@GunslingerPanda said:
" @ch13696 said:
" WTF??? Who is this guy? He does editorials on sports games? NO I don't give a fuck about him. Come back top me when sports games do matter. When EA actually skips a year on releasing Madden. Same goes for all other sports games. "
Or maybe when a sports franchise sells something like 70 million units?  Oh, wait...  You're an idiot. I'm not a sports fan at all, but saying sports games don't matter is simply very, very stupid. "
Because it doesn't fuckin matter. All they're doing is releasing the same game as last year. The only difference is an updated roster. If these companies just happen to support their previous games instead of shutting down servers after 2 years then I'll start caring about these sports games.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm not familar with the ppl at gamespot. I don't go to that site, so I don't really care at all. If he makes it to giantbomb, then maybe I might care.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#96  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@ch13696 said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
" @ch13696 said:
Or maybe when a sports franchise sells something like 70 million units?  Oh, wait...  You're an idiot. I'm not a sports fan at all, but saying sports games don't matter is simply very, very stupid. "
Because it doesn't fuckin matter. All they're doing is releasing the same game as last year. The only difference is an updated roster. If these companies just happen to support their previous games instead of shutting down servers after 2 years then I'll start caring about these sports games. "

The reason they shut down their servers is because all of the people who actually care about the game have already migrated over to the next installment. Many of the yearly franchises also contain some pretty important updates -- not Madden as much as FIFA, which has seen important updates from year to year since about 2007.
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#97  Edited By ThePickle

I would care if this meant he would join GB.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#98  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Ekberg was the best guy on that site (since the GiantBomb crew left there, anyway). Now I have little reason to go there.  

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well i liked the guy, he very easily fit in with the rest of the staff in terms of  humor.
Hope he does good, wherever he is and will be.   

Also, BEARDWATCH.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#100  Edited By Sin4profit

I'd love for'im to come over to Giant Bomb...Ekberg was the only one left behind at Gamespot that i thought was still ok. i was disappointed when he started to specialize in the sports gaming cause i couldn't give a shit about sports games