Do the GB Staff only put out news and reviews on games they like?

• 50 results
Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Zabant

Now i know im asking to be flamed here but there does seem to be a trend with the news they publish.

i mean just from the articles they put up i can say Jeff loves fighting and shooters, ryan loves rhythm games and RPGs, Brad has a huge preferance for the PS3 over the 360 and vinny is an all round kind of guy, not one to like anything too popular. Any genre or games they dont seem interested in either gets shifted off or if dave likes it, they get him to tone in on it.

I know its their site but this weeks TGS coverage has been pretty bad, i dont like kotaku but i have gotten much more out of it this week.

You may argue that its because they didnt go to TGS, my question is why the hell didnt they? This is a semi-major game website after all, isnt it their job?  Simply saying we didnt feel like it and we dont think there is going to be anything worth covering (that they have already coverd) is just bad for buisness.

im pointing this all out not because i dont like them, its the exact opposite. Im making this point because i would rather these guys who i can trust and enjoy cover the goings on of the gaming world more than any other publication out there.

What are your thoughts?

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By sjschmidt93

They pretty much do what they want.... they're all equal and not one of the guys gets to tell everyone what to do. 

I think it should stay that way. 

Also you have to consider flying to Tokyo would've required money, money they may or may not have.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

They talked about their methods very recently on that BitCast they did.  Jeff mentioned how 90% of gamers pay attention to 10% of the games, so Jeff said they cover 20%.  They try to cover the most popular things then the things they think should be popular, and that's it.

Their job isn't to cover every little bit of news, and they consider that a disservice to gamers anyways.  This TGS didn't even have that much to really talk about.

If you just want straight drivel pointing out the barest, most worthless facts in the latest gaming news there already are tons of sites for that.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Bigandtasty
Several reviews suggest otherwise.

If you're saying "do they only review games they THINK they'll like, I don't think that's true either. I don't think they went into G.I. Joe or Rock Revolution expecting a great game.

GB can't afford to go to TGS, they're a small website with four dudes covering games. They have never been as news-intensive as Kotaku or other sites, preferring instead to focus on quirky, humorous features and large amounts of video content.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By gingertastic_10

If they do, which I'm sure they don't, it's top notch either way.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By nrain

They update on the major gaems that people care about, games that they think you should care about which aren't getting as much coverage elsewhere as they possible should. And of course crazy ass games.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zabant
@Diamond: bitcast?

link me up? 

Edit:
And its not just "drivvel" they are missing out on, i was surprised they did not put out anything on the new character announcement for Mass Effect 2.

That isn't some indie game no one cares about.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By DanielJW

From the FAQ:  

"  Well, yeah, but the point is that Giant Bomb isn't interested in the fire-hose approach to video game coverage. Our editorial team is small and experienced, and our job is to highlight the stuff that we feel is significant, either to us on a personal level, or for video games at large. That's not everything, but it's still a lot. Though, we're not real big on sports games, so don't expect too much meaningful/informed Madden coverage." 

Answer your question?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zeforgotten

TGS hasn't brought us anything most of us didn't know already.  
Other than that, everything else that has been said by the GB crew has already been explained

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By breadfan

The Giant Bomb crew is not that large to begin with so expecting them to pump out articles and reviews on every game that comes out is absurd. 

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#11  Edited By gingertastic_10
@DanielJW said:
" From the FAQ:  

"  Well, yeah, but the point is that Giant Bomb isn't interested in the fire-hose approach to video game coverage. Our editorial team is small and experienced, and our job is to highlight the stuff that we feel is significant, either to us on a personal level, or for video games at large. That's not everything, but it's still a lot. Though, we're not real big on sports games, so don't expect too much meaningful/informed Madden coverage." 

Answer your question?

"
Welp, I think that answers the question.
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By ververdan0226

Uhh... no shit. 

That was pretty much like the founding philosophy behind GB. If you don't like their non-coverage of TGS, you're more than welcome to go elsewhere to get the info and come back after you've soaked up every meaningful and meaningless fact that everyone else has to offer. It'd always be cool if they went, but be reasonable. They didn't go for a reason and they have no obligations to their readers on what content they publish. They publish what they want, do their best at it and everybody seems like it that way. I certainly do.

This may not have been what you were getting at, but if you need supplemental material to what awesomeness GB offers, you're more than welcome to go elsewhere and come back. GB is not Gamespot.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Diamond
@Zabant said:

" @Diamond: bitcast?  link me up?    Edit:And its not just "drivvel" they are missing out on, i was surprised they did not put out anything on the new character announcement for Mass Effect 2.  That isn't some indie game no one cares about. "

Here's the bitcast.

True, people care about Mass Effect 2, but do they need to cover that when so many other sites already have it covered?  Listen to the podcast anyways so you can get a better idea of what they're thinking.  They'll touch all the points you're concerned about.
Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Its a small site and they usually cater to what the hardcore prefers anyway. I mean do you guys really want alot of coverage of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs or Cabela's Big Game Hunter?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pause422

That has pretty much been the way they planned to do it from the beginning. Jeff stated they will do reviews mainly for things only they were interested in, or if its just a big release in general someone would review it. They dont review sports games though really, nor do they review RPGs really. Its a very small amount of people, but you shouldnt expect TGS updates from them since none of them are going to TGS at all. Its not a big deal really.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jensonb

Giant Bomb is not like Kotaku or IGN. Why? Because those sites already exist. Giant Bomb Editorial is core-gamer focused, personality-driven and therefore niche. Giant Bomb's Editorial section is not and does not pretend to be a 1-stop shop in the way Kotaku or IGN might be. If that's what you're expecting, you've missed the point.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By trophyhunter

that's the whole point of having their own site

egads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By egads

Ya, the reason I read this site is because they only talk about what they like.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19  Edited By damnboyadvance

I think they do a decent amount of work considering how big the crew is. They don't cover every single game, but they really don't need to. They cover enough games in my book. If there are any downsides, the huge Wiki, along with the vast community, make up plenty for it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By oldschool

I think this site is entirely useless for news.  I go elsewhere for that.  Anywhere is better.  There are members here who post news in threads that is more interesting and of better quality than the staff of GB.  Until the quality, quantity and most importantly, diversity of news on this site improves, it will just be seen as a forum site for games that has a wiki.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Diamond
@oldschool said:
Until the quality, quantity and most importantly, diversity of news on this site improves, it will just be seen as a forum site for games that has a wiki.
Disagree with that completely, it's the forums, the wikis, and then THEIR CUSTOM COVERAGE.  The Bombcast, Quick Looks, and extra features like Endurance Run & TANG are the biggest draw to Giant Bomb to me.
Nock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Nock

Listen to the bitmob "mobcast" #22, the one that Jeff and Brad were on. Jeff talks about this, they try to cover 10% of games that we all care about and another 15% that you should.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool
@Diamond said:
" @oldschool said:
Until the quality, quantity and most importantly, diversity of news on this site improves, it will just be seen as a forum site for games that has a wiki.
Disagree with that completely, it's the forums, the wikis, and then THEIR CUSTOM COVERAGE.  The Bombcast, Quick Looks, and extra features like Endurance Run & TANG are the biggest draw to Giant Bomb to me. "
Which is fine for you and many others here.  Not so much for people who are not interest in Endurance Runs (yawn), or bombcasts or the narrow news perspective.
Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I think they've been doing a good job so far. Nearly all of the games they've covered/reviewed had me interested or some-what interested in them.  

And think about: would you rather have extensive info on the bigger games, or a little about every game that's going to come out? I think the choice is pretty obvious.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By bwooduhs

They try to cover what they think the reader base is most interested in.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By eroticfishcake

They're also a pretty small team. There's only so much they can do with a limited amount of time and money. I've liked what they covered anyway. That or maybe I happen to be interested in everything the guys like.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Al3xand3r
@oldschool said:
" I think this site is entirely useless for news.  I go elsewhere for that.  Anywhere is better.  There are members here who post news in threads that is more interesting and of better quality than the staff of GB.  Until the quality, quantity and most importantly, diversity of news on this site improves, it will just be seen as a forum site for games that has a wiki. "
sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sixghost
@oldschool said:
" I think this site is entirely useless for news.  I go elsewhere for that.  Anywhere is better.  There are members here who post news in threads that is more interesting and of better quality than the staff of GB.  Until the quality, quantity and most importantly, diversity of news on this site improves, it will just be seen as a forum site for games that has a wiki. "

If you want to argue the quantity, sure. But the quality and diversity of the content... dude they put out a 44 minute video of them playing kenka bancho badass rumble like a week ago.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29  Edited By RHCPfan24

Damn, there is no entitlement for these guys to go to TGS. First, they were recovering from their sickness and there wasn't anything notable from that event anyway. They also still review many games that are not something they would play themselves on their own accord, shown by Velvet Assassin, GI Joe and many more.  They are here to bring their own spin to video game coverage with their videos and funny articles. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By oldschool
@sixghost said:
" @oldschool said:
If you want to argue the quantity, sure. But the quality and diversity of the content... dude they put out a 44 minute video of them playing kenka bancho badass rumble like a week ago. "
Quality is a subjective term.  That might interest you, but it is 44 minutes of boredom and disinterest for me (and others).  They would have to do a lot better than that for me.  I want news, I want facts, I want range.  I don't want a frat house.  Which is all fine anyway, as I just ignore it and get my news elsewhere.  I could care less they that do what they do.  Some people enjoy it.  Play to you audience is fine by me.
Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Adamantium

Then again, they do more video interviews than many other sites. They have Quick Looks, gameplay videos, a huge freaking video game Wiki, and they generally don't let any significant games slip under their radar. Having a team of like 10 ppl actually working on their website and still offering broader coverage of the titles they focus on than lots of sites that are simply "video game news" sites has to count for something doesn't it?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GunstarRed

I like the games they cover and how they do it.  A lot of the news from other sites is just numbers talk.. I dont really care how a bunch of games did in some quarter so I can use them as FACT in system wars type arguements.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33  Edited By spazmaster666

Other sites like IGN or Gamespot have dedicated editors who do nothing but write about news and events. If the GB staff really wanted to they probably could hire a guy just to churn out news articles. But obviously that's not the direction they wanted to take when they started this website.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dylabaloo
@oldschool: Well if thats how you feel, what are you doing on this website.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iamjohn

And let's be honest here - how much of the so-called news and facts put out there is really all that interesting to see?  No offense to the blogs (except Kotaku, since everyone there save Stephen Totilo are a bunch of hacks), but most of the time all those guys do is rewrite a PR sheet or post some semi-related thing and call it a day.  I don't need to see that five million times over considering I see almost all of that in a day on GAF.  That's why I appreciate what these guys do all the more, because you can really tell that if they choose to write something up or cover it in some other capacity, they're either going to go the extra mile with it or provide their own unique perspective.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By oldschool
@Dylabaloo said:
" @oldschool: Well if thats how you feel, what are you doing on this website. "
The forums.  That's it.   

I followed a good friend here, plus another very good friend is here.  I have also made some pretty good friends as well.  That makes it worth it.  Nothing else.
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LiquidSwords

"Quality not quantity motherfuckers!" -Next GB shirt 
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By penguindust
@Jensonb said:

" Giant Bomb is not like Kotaku or IGN. Why? Because those sites already exist. Giant Bomb Editorial is core-gamer focused, personality-driven and therefore niche. Giant Bomb's Editorial section is not and does not pretend to be a 1-stop shop in the way Kotaku or IGN might be. If that's what you're expecting, you've missed the point. "

That's a perfect description.  Giant Bomb is not the only site I visit for gaming news.  In fact most of their news trails behind the up-to-the-minute blogs like Kotaku and Joystiq.  They don't review every game around or preview games outside the "core" audience's interest often.  However, they do provide a platform for games I am interested in and games I maybe unaware of that could interest me. 
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By meteora

Hm I don't know, I goto GiantBomb as my primary source for information. Then I goto where ever else for secondary information, because those sites are dull and not as humourous as GiantBomb's coverage.

And really if you're really vocal about GiantBomb's news coverage, you can always goto IGN or GameSpot.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#40  Edited By citizenkane

There are only 4 guys on the staff.  They don't have the time or the resources to look at every single games.  

They are doing the best they can to bring the news of all the games we would enjoy and I think they are doing an awesome job at it.

mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mattbodega

If you're looking for news about the industry, Giant Bomb is the PERFECT site.
Why? Because Giant Bomb only writes about the most important news in the video game industry.
What's that, you say? Giant Bomb doesn't put up too many news stories? There's a reason for that.
90% OF THE NEWS YOU READ ON VIDEO GAME SITES IS BULLSHIT.
Weird rumors, quotes taken out of context, and hyperlinks to other sites and stories? Other sites need to squeeze the blood from every single news story.  Giant Bomb only reports meaningful/ Hilarious stories, and they're giving you their personal take. If you want facts, go to one of the big sites, your Gamespots and IGN's. 
If you want all the news, go to Kotaku and Joystik and read 40 stories about nonsense.
If you want the important news, read Giant Bomb.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Afroman269
@Diamond said:
" They talked about their methods very recently on that BitCast they did.  Jeff mentioned how 90% of gamers pay attention to 10% of the games, so Jeff said they cover 20%.  They try to cover the most popular things then the things they think should be popular, and that's it.  Their job isn't to cover every little bit of news, and they consider that a disservice to gamers anyways.  This TGS didn't even have that much to really talk about.  If you just want straight drivel pointing out the barest, most worthless facts in the latest gaming news there already are tons of sites for that. "
Ya I listened to it too. I agree to what Jeff says and it is just unrealistic especially for 4 guys to go out and cover so many games. If you really want the fine details then go to another site and read up on that.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#44  Edited By KowalskiManDown

To be fair... nothing really happened at TGS.

Ken420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ken420

I don't think it made fiscal sense to send 4 or 5 staffers to be there for the "big" surprise of TGS... which was +8 characters for SFIV. 

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#46  Edited By TheJollyRajah
@creamypies: I would say most of the GB crew prefers the 360, but that doesn't mean they're biased. Everyone has their preferences; it's one of the things that makes us human and unique.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#47  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@TheJollyRajah: I think you replied to the wrong person dude. I never said anything about GB being biased.
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48  Edited By Cube

If Brad has a preference for the PS3, then Jeff and Ryan blow Ballmer bi-hourly.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Toxin066
@creamypies said:
" To be fair... nothing really happened at TGS. "
Agreed. You can't post a ton of coverage when there is very little to cover.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#50  Edited By natetodamax

They only write about games that people will actually care about.

The reason they didn't go to TGS is because nobody wanted to, plus it's expensive.