Do you like the hot new look for Giant Bomb dot com?

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By SharkEthic

@Branthog: I was actually kinda implying that it doesn't seem like a lot of design work wen't into conforming to the Polygon/Verge mold of web-design.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#202  Edited By Nev

Yep. I'm liking just about every bit I've explored so far. Looking forward to it going live proper!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By Branthog

@planetfunksquad said:

People complaining about having to scroll down lmao. It takes 5 two finger swipes on my laptops trackpad to get to the bottom of the page. The amount of effort that takes is PHENOMENAL I know.

Requiring the viewer to scroll far down in search of the actual content is a cardinal sin of interface design and it is a waste of the viewer's time. As much information as possible should be presented in the first screen, without making it too much of a cluttered mess (which sometimes happens at the opposite end of the spectrum). Sometimes a second screen or so of content may be required. This should usually be stuff that isn't always relevant or sought out. It should not require one or more page-downs to get to the actual content, every time. The front page should be part of your content-consumption. It shouldn't be just a giant flashy magazine cover.

This new design style that is spreading across the web is hideous. The design where some sites have five or ten screens worth of content all on the front page that scrolls down forever. Exacerbated, of course, by advertising space. Finding a solution is sometimes difficult, when you truly have a lot of actual content to present. GiantBomb has a lot of content. But as anyone can see by looking at the front page of the beta site, there's plenty of space for more of that vital content, by doing away with all of the additional wasted space (wasted as either blank or filled with twitter or enormous images).

The site is pretty, but I don't come here for web-design inspiration. I come here to get awesome content and to access it as quickly and unhindered as possible. They've done a great job in creating a '2012-hip-website trend' site, but I don't think that's what a lot of us were expecting to see. Those seem more appropriate for sites with limited content to present. On a site with a ton of content, it feels like it gets in the way of that content.

@Palmlykta said:

I think I'm supposed to view this on a retina tablet... everything is too big and the serif font is a step back in terms of text readability.

Surprisingly, this is usually not the case. When The Verge introduced their silly page full of giant square Windows Metro design, everyone said "yeah, it looks ugly on a real computer, but it's beautiful and delightful on mobile!". So, I checked it out on an iPad. Nope -- it's even more cluttered and awful to navigate on tablet. I've seen other sites attempt this on tablets, too. I don't understand it. A simple list format works best. You can fit the most data with lines of text (and maybe a small image to the side). When sites do this "let's make a bunch of giant image-grids that just randomly fill the whole screen" thing, it looks more cluttered and confusing on a tablet.

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

@Fattony12000: Just from those images, it seems like there's a lot of wasted space.

This is just the way the web works. For one, it's really hard to get anything to really work across that many pixels. It's overwhelming, hard to read, hard to browse. For another, loads of people don't have 1920 vertical pixels on their screen. They might have 1600, 1280, or even 768 for old iPad users. So you have to pick a point and optimize near the center so it works best for as manyt people as possible. I believe 1280 is the vertical width that Giant Bomb is optimized at, it's pretty normal stuff.

Unless you are talking about stuff being big, in which case... *shrug*

I think it's mostly difficult when you're trying to force too much control over the presentation. I don't see any reason one couldn't focus on the content, instead of being overly pretty, and use a fluid-style that automatically adjusts to the size of the browser window without problems at all but the most extreme resolutions. It also only serves to emphasize how precious that space is and how it should be treated as such, instead of spamming it with enormous images and massive text. Of course, I don't envy Alexis or anyone else from having to make a site for big corporations like this, anymore. Now it's a constant race of one-upping and constantly being flashier and sexier, when something far less complex would be ideal (but isn't going to impress your boss or his boss or his boss or his boss).

Of course, this is all probably hopeless complaining, because the new generation of web designers seems pretty intent on a specific direction and I should shut the fuck up and just be thankful that we're still in a point of online evolution that text hasn't been completely eradicated, in favor of videos.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#204  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Took a quick glance through it and for the most part, I like it. My only complaints so far would be the missing forum feed on the bottom, and the community section at the bottom seems overly large and out of place with the rest of the design. Also, I really prefer the way quoting works currently than simply having it stack like it does in the beta, but I guess that's a pretty minor thing. Everything else is real nice. Seems sleek and sexy. The little bomb loading symbol may be my favorite new thing.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Azteck

Have they added the ability to play videos like a playlist? Having to go through 10 pages just to get the next ep of the ER kind of sucks after a while.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#206  Edited By Sooty

It's ok, the mobile site is worse though.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By napalm

@Make_Me_Mad said:

@Fattony12000: Just from those images, it seems like there's a lot of wasted space.

Honestly, do you truly think it makes sense to fill up the entire area of the window with stuff? Polygon's approach to web design is what you're looking for if you want that, and their content isn't centered and within a margin like Giant Bomb's is.

@ProfessorEss said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

I feel like you can't put a margin anywhere without someone calling it "wasted space". Guess you can't please everyone.

Okay, so I'm not crazy.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By EnduranceFun

After impulsively voting yes, now I'd likely vote nothing. It's not a very bad or good re-design. What exactly has changed? All I can note is a handful of fixes to the site's basic functionality. The pin on videos is a genius idea by . As any duder would, I love the flair on the new 404 page and other hidden quirks [though it is relatively crass, usually Giant Bomb is slightly more subtle]. I don't appreciate that everything is bigger now - it (supposedly) helps the tablet crowd, but I'm not a fan of these monstrously big images on the front page and while I don't find them or the wasted space intolerable it's all very underwhelming. Because there's nothing particularly inspired about the new design, it's Giant Giant Bomb. The tips of my toes would be in the 'yay... I guess' column of opinion... if not for the death of review portraits and seemingly too of seasonal background images on the bombcast page. These are a painful loss. Those aspects of the website's design gave personality to the reviews and bombcast. This is in spite of unwavering popularity and the community practically begging for them not to be removed. All in all, the site is just more... bland. :(

On the bright side, Dave soon will be free once more to do videos. I'll wave my little novelty flag to that.

TracerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#209  Edited By TracerX

Really liking it. I don't really mind the huge images, but you can tell those dudes must use monitors the size of Jeff's new one for design.

Also, not sure if anyone mentioned this already, but the icons and logo are scaling really weird. In Chrome for Mountain Lion. Might have to do with the retina screen on this macbook, but Safari displays them fine.

No Caption Provided
FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By FritzDude

I haven't seen this. Is it only for subscribers, or a Selected number of People?

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#211  Edited By Grillbar

@Brendan said:

Wait, as a member how do I get to see it? I want to see it :(

seaserpent.giantbomb.com

johnaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By johnaze

@TracerX: There's a link at the bottom of the site to report the bugs, if you haven't done that yet.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#213  Edited By morrelloman

UGH I HATE CHANGE! The new site is slick. I am pretty wet for the video player. I think it just looks better.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#214  Edited By alistercat

@FritzDude: Subscribers only. Subscriptions made after thanksgiving will not get you in to the beta site for a little while either.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By EnduranceFun

@morrelloman said:

UGH I HATE CHANGE!

Please do not

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By fattony12000

@Napalm said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

Honestly, do you truly think it makes sense to fill up the entire area of the window with stuff? Polygon's approach to web design is what you're looking for if you want that, and their content isn't centered and within a margin like Giant Bomb's is.

@ProfessorEss said:

@Make_Me_Mad said:

I feel like you can't put a margin anywhere without someone calling it "wasted space". Guess you can't please everyone.

Okay, so I'm not crazy.

AAAAARGH! SOMETHING'S GONE ALL FUCKED UP BECAUSE I DIDN'T EVER SAY THOSE THINGS! DAAAAAAAAAAVE!

SpiderCabaret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By SpiderCabaret

It didn't scare and confuse me at first glance. That's a solid win in my book.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

First iTunes, then Youtube, then Tested, now Giant Bomb... Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#219  Edited By TobbRobb

It seems solid functionwise. Mind I haven't tested everything I would want to, but basic functionality for me is A-OK. On top of that a lot of the pages have improved.

My only issue is that the front pages feels too cluttered and "scrolly", and the font is way too fucking huge. I'm at a PC man, leave that size for GB bigscreen mode.

EDIT: Actually, cluttered might not be accurate, I think just making EVERYTHING smaller on the front page would make it look good. To me that is.

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By rahulricky

super weird that I can use the new site despite not being a paid member

*edit* seems to include the ability to watch premium/subscriber videos too.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By dungbootle

@rahulricky said:

super weird that I can use the new site despite not being a paid member

*edit* seems to include the ability to watch premium/subscriber videos too.

The medal under your avatar seems to suggest otherwise

TracerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#222  Edited By TracerX

@johnaze: Did not notice that, and the first comment from Dave in the bug reporting thread is about not posting image sizing issues... So I guess they already know haha

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By rahulricky

@dungbootle: whoa that's odd. It's possible I drunkenly became a member at some point? I don't remember this at all. Time to investigate!

No Caption Provided

*edit* according to this I'm a free member, not paid. Looks like something somewhere is broken in my favour. - thoughts?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By fattony12000

@rahulricky: Just a great job all round, duder.

Drunkbuying Giant Bomb subs all day err day.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Lashe

I like what they're going for, although it's not so great on devices lacking in vertical screen real estate. Not a fan of how it looks on my 11" MBA.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#226  Edited By TobbRobb

@rahulricky: That is an amazing bug. Or does it turn out that way if you get gifted a premium?

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#227  Edited By jacdg

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

First iTunes, then Youtube, then Tested, now Giant Bomb... Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!

Compared to the Youtube and Itunes changes I really like the Giantbomb redesign, it's not perfect and it's a bit lacking right now, but compared to those other two, it is pretty nice. (I generally like it, even when not comparing it to other recent redesigns.)

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By rahulricky

@TobbRobb: ha, it's like getting Bank error in your favour in Monopoly except instead of fake money I get hours upon hours of Jar Time videos.

Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Wallzii

I do like it, looks great. Specifically the mobile site looks a lot better, it is a fuller experience that doesn't cut visual content while remaining accessible.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#230  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It defaults to white background, fuck that shit.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#231  Edited By Chummy8

That reminds me, I haven't seen the new beta. I gotta see if I can turn it on.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#232  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm posting this here because all the non-subs need to see this shit:

Video Game King - The official AndrewB Review.

Video Game King is an oddity in this world of franchise and genre-based video games. It defies definition. It's something completely different from any previous releases, and as such, a very difficult game to describe with any sort of context. Suffice it to say that, in my lengthy time with Video Game King, I feel it a justified purchase for literally any type of gamer.

You play the Video Game King, beginning life as a mere resident of the kingdom of Giant Bomb. The early-goings of the game will see you completing such tasks as mass wiki editing, writing half-insane blog posts based on other video games that no one has actually played, and generally replying snarkily (in the most charming manner) to other residents of Giant Bomb. Much of your time will actually be taken up playing other games for review. Many of them are osbcure, many awful, but there are of course some shining rays of light. You'll see much of the Fire Emblem series, being the King's favorite, and such sequences are infinitely enjoyable. Worth the purchase itself. Minigames dot your adventure, consisting mostly of wall-posts and creating elaborate Persona 4 -cross- Katawa Shoujo backgrounds for your profile. Such backgrounds are endearing enough to make the experience worth it, and as such do not detract from the overall gameplay in any way.

You'll recieve upgrades along the way. Links to Youtube being key to your arsenal. It's one of the game's more amusing aspects, and certainly places it on a pedastal far above the rest. You can choose from a near-infinte assortment, although many come from Adventure Time, a Cartoon Network series I personally have yet to watch. As such - and this leads to the downside- unless you're aware of the pop-culture references, many of them may go over your head. The problem is alleviated somewhat by external links on the internet, such as Wikipedia and Urbandictionary, to help you understand them. Doing so, of course, comes at the cost of a good deal of the humor within, so use them with caution.

The graphics consist mostly of expertly-crafted Paint.Net edits. Unfortunately, sometimes the roughness of the limitations in such an image editor shine through. For a game developed by an indie studio on a limted budget, however, it's an understandable dilemma, and in that context the graphics are forgivable and actually quite well put together. Header images are high quality PNG files, while the body consist mostly of HTML formatted text using an internal editor. The aforementioned comical images and video often dot this text in both appropriate and inappropriate places.

Audio is mostly non-existent, although you will come across the occasion expertly-crafted Youtube link to a soundtrack which rounds out the overall experience. Without voice acting of any sort, however, the limited budget really shines through, and while I'm skeptical of the quality of voice acting which could be afforded by such a limited budget, it would certainly be nice for the sometimes lengthy walls of text to be accompanied by voice samples of any sort in an era of other fully-voiced projects.

Multiplayer consists of starting out as a flegdling site user, and it's up to you to decide which path to take. You can reply snarkily to other comments, continue the tired meme of Brad escaping from the Kingdom, or even contribute to the wiki yourself. It's questionable if the goal of exceeding The King's post count is ever actually achievable, although that's something that remains to be seen until such a time that the game is released to the ravenous, general masses. Unfortunately, due to the complete redesign of the site this time around (warning: Kat Smith's glorious cartoon style is rare in this version), it's impossible to obtain achievements, thus doing so would have no other worldly benefit in the first place. Co-op DLC is planned, but as of writing has not been released.

Make no mistake: Video Game King is an expertly-crafted game, despite some of the aforementioned shortcomings. It can last you anywhere from minutes to 100+ years, depending upon your level of commitment. At any price, it's a bargain. As a free-to-play entry without any of the added paid hooks beyond a standard Giant Bomb subscription, however, it's a no-brainer. I've been playing for about 4 years now, and I can honestly say there's no sign of stopping, which is why a recommendation of Video Game King comes so highly.

Truly a thing of glory. (There were pictures, but they were not glorious enough to exist.)

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By fattony12000

@Mr_Skeleton said:

It defaults to white background, fuck that shit.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By DoctorWelch

I really hate how polygon makes its images full screen and shit. It just seems way too in your face. I love how this site is doing it because it scales in a really awesome way. The images seem like the span the full screen if your browser is smaller, but then blank space is on the side when you make the browser take up the whole screen.

Other than that, it just seems really sleek and new, which is great.

Also, FUCK IF THAT BOMBCAST PLAYER ISNT THE FUCKING BEST THING EVER!

xerxes8933a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By xerxes8933a

Renaming Browse to Wiki is a good idea. Having a larger search bar is a good idea. It seems they got rid of the Friends Online, and User Level identiers, which is a bit of a shame. I don't understand the need for two Store links however. Either keep the one on the bar, and remove the one by the logo. Or keep the old logo one, and swap the bar one back to being Help.

The layout itself is nice.

megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By megasoum

@Xerxes8933A said:

Renaming Browse to Wiki is a good idea. Having a larger search bar is a good idea. It seems they got rid of the Friends Online, and User Level identiers, which is a bit of a shame. I don't understand the need for two Store links however. Either keep the one on the bar, and remove the one by the logo. Or keep the old logo one, and swap the bar one back to being Help.

Oh wow you are right I didn't notice before. This is incredibly stupid. The first thing I ALWAYS do when go on GB is check who is online and then click on the "Following" button to see the latest site activity for the people I follow.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By cookiemonster

can you embed soundclouds into forum posts on the new site?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By BaneFireLord

The fact that the recent forum posts aren't on the front page annoys me. Otherwise, it looks pretty great.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By swoxx

Way to early for me to say. I need to get accustomed to the new design first. Which takes weeks for me.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By fattony12000

@CookieMonster said:

can you embed soundclouds into forum posts on the new site?

Doesn't look like it.

No Caption Provided
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#241  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's a pretty slick design, but personally I am way into how everything over there has immediately gone totally insane.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#242  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ArbitraryWater:

Like my search for the goods?

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By planetfunksquad

@Branthog said:

@planetfunksquad said:

People complaining about having to scroll down lmao. It takes 5 two finger swipes on my laptops trackpad to get to the bottom of the page. The amount of effort that takes is PHENOMENAL I know.

Requiring the viewer to scroll far down in search of the actual content is a cardinal sin of interface design and it is a waste of the viewer's time. As much information as possible should be presented in the first screen, without making it too much of a cluttered mess (which sometimes happens at the opposite end of the spectrum). Sometimes a second screen or so of content may be required. This should usually be stuff that isn't always relevant or sought out. It should not require one or more page-downs to get to the actual content, every time. The front page should be part of your content-consumption. It shouldn't be just a giant flashy magazine cover.

This new design style that is spreading across the web is hideous. The design where some sites have five or ten screens worth of content all on the front page that scrolls down forever. Exacerbated, of course, by advertising space. Finding a solution is sometimes difficult, when you truly have a lot of actual content to present. GiantBomb has a lot of content. But as anyone can see by looking at the front page of the beta site, there's plenty of space for more of that vital content, by doing away with all of the additional wasted space (wasted as either blank or filled with twitter or enormous images).

The site is pretty, but I don't come here for web-design inspiration. I come here to get awesome content and to access it as quickly and unhindered as possible. They've done a great job in creating a '2012-hip-website trend' site, but I don't think that's what a lot of us were expecting to see. Those seem more appropriate for sites with limited content to present. On a site with a ton of content, it feels like it gets in the way of that content.

The crux of your argument seems to be that it takes too much time to view things because of the layout, yes?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By McGhee

It's pretty awesome, actually. Feel like I'm slumming it in this dingy old place.

monkeystick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By monkeystick

Me likey.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#246  Edited By Mushir

Haven't seen the new design live, just judging from the images people have been posting.

I really don't like the font used for titles on the frontpage. Other than that everything looks really sexy.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By kishinfoulux

Kind of looks the same. Looks like some cues taken from Polygon though.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By fattony12000
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Scrawnto

@Megasoum said:

@Xerxes8933A said:

Oh wow you are right I didn't notice before. This is incredibly stupid. The first thing I ALWAYS do when go on GB is check who is online and then click on the "Following" button to see the latest site activity for the people I follow.

It's not gone! You get that by clicking on your profile picture in seaserpent. It defaults to showing activity from <user name>'s Friends, instead of <user name>'s Activity.

edit: I should have said, Friends Online does seem to be gone, but the shortcut to activity by followed users was just moved not removed.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#250  Edited By iamjohn

I wish the text and everything wasn't so big (motherfuckers if I wanted all my fucking websites to look like I was running them in 640x480, I'd set my monitor to that), but it's really nice otherwise. It's basically Polygon done right.