Do you play best sober, buzzed, or drunk?

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Poll Do you play best sober, buzzed, or drunk? (209 votes)

Stone-cold sober 67%
A little buzz 31%
Pretty much drunk 3%

Hi all!

I've thought about this every once in a while, and decided definitively tonight that I play multiplayer FPSs best when buzzed. I now have 2 of my 4 wins in Apex while having a Jameson on the rocks--and I promise I've played more rounds sober than while drinking.

What is everyone else's experience? Do you think you perform your best when sober, buzzed, or flat out drunk? (Yes, there's no "High" option, sorry) If you play better with a drink in you, do you think it's nerves, do your reflexes just "flow" better, or what?

• 
MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm bad at FPSs in any form, but I will say I basically only play video games when I'm stoned.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hesistate too mch when im sober, whilat drunk i just gooooooo

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My reflexes are not good enough to play impaired, and my judgment and focus get worse too. I don't drink very much, but I basically never play games drink for this reason.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of the above?

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You didn't mention the alternative common recreational buzz giver, and I don't drink, so all I can give you is, I have no idea, but I feel like I play better when buzzed. Lol.

Cure_Optimism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cure_Optimism

I'm not much of a drinker, but I do smoke perfectly legal 'tobacco' occasionally and I find that my performance in difficult/competitive games is super terrible unless I'm sober. Best games to play while inebriated are simple, like some Sega Genesis, GTA or racing/party games.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I very much prefer the recently legal stuff here in California over alcohol, especially when playing video games but, I play best sober.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Preface: I smoke weed and drink on the weekends, and enjoy video games a great deal in both of those states of mind.

No one does anything better while inebriated. You are quite literally fogging your mind. But, what a buzz will do for you is help you stop thinking about real life troubles and get you into that zen mode. That zen mode is the real game changer, and when you can get there while sober that is when you play best.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

I had a long Rainbow Six Siege session with friends a while back. We turned it into a drinking game. I don't remember if I did well at all, but I remember one of my friend's winning a round for us with back to back Frost trap takedowns. That was unbelievable. We also became best friends for about 15 minutes with a random on our team who was high. It was a stupid night.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I do better in CS:GO when I'm buzzed. I'll play it while I'm drunk. But really, I'm at my best when I'm sober.

Danielle99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I could ever play a game seriously while drunk. And playing slightly tipsy is just annoying, no thank you.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I’ve never had the slightest inclination to play games while in any way impared...so I guess I’ll go sober.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By ShaggE

Sober. I'm terrible drunk. I don't even try. I can do alright with weed, but I get too distracted by everything. I'm really fickle when stoned, too: I could be enjoying a game one minute and deciding that stupid Youtube videos must be watched NOW the next. VR is the exception, though. I still get distracted because, y'know, VR is a mindfuck when high, but apparently I'm really good at shooty games in VR in that mental state once I'm over the "I'm holding a gun, but I'm not! Whoa" stage.

Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It depends. Almost always sober -- I tend to tryhard when I am playing something that is kinda competitive.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Oh, definitely sober, but rarely am.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Sober. However I tend to play better when I'm slightly distracted by something else. Like a conversation or something. I probably overthink things normally and play better when more of the reptile brain takes over.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Where's the high as a kite option?
But yeah I'm sober 99.5% of the time.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't play games if i am not sober i get a shit ton of motion sickness.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get better after a few drinks and much much worse after a few more, just like with pool/snooker/darts. Getting stoned almost universally makes me play worse except for with Mario Kart where everything synergises wonderfully.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Casepb

Definitely sober, I tried being buzzed, drunk and high. I suck horribly at aiming when I'm anything but sober. When I was drunk or buzzed I found it hard to follow movement, when high I could actually follow the movement even easier than being sober, but my reaction time was so damn slow. Being high was definitely super fun for mindless action games though, you focus so much on things that you normally wouldn't, it just feels super immersive, but at the same time you never have any idea of what the hell is going on. I also would get turned around super easy. I once went in a circle for an hour... but then I realized it had only been 5 mins. I'm glad I stopped smoking weed honestly lol.

mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more patient in Siege when high... That's usually a good thing in that game.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I never drink and play games but I will pretty regularly smoke and play. I don’t really know if it makes me play better or not but I definitely feel like I’m playing better at times.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I probably think I do.

I tend not to play games if impaired in any way but back in the day I used to hang out with friends, drink and play games, but I mean, we were all drunk anyway so skill level was the same for everyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gaming is a lot like driving: a few drinks makes you better but too many and it's the jail for you

meant2live218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By meant2live218

I play best completely sober, but there's something very enjoyable about playing some games after (or during) a drink or two.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gaming is my anti-drug, tyvm.

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite thing to do is starting a new game while blotto, and then having to restart the game the next day because I don't remember any of it.

stabfreely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't drink, so its sober...When I did drink I skied better...

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only play MP if im drunk but I do great. Single player is for marijuana or caffine and nicotine. substances help!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I don't drink alcohol or smoke anything at any given time.

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've found it a little hard to enjoy games when i am drunk so, i play sober

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The answer for everyone is sober. You might THINK you are doing better drunk or high, but you aren't. You're just an idiot.

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By not_a_bumblebee

As someone who frequents a lot of barcades I find I do best when I got a buzz going. Sober I am in my head too much and overthinking when I play. Drunk and my hand-eye coordination suffers. Got a nice buzz from 2 to 3 beers and I am in the right head space to get the high scores in Centipede and Tempest that stood for nearly a year until some freak blew them out of the water.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frustrating amount of "wheres the sober option!?" replies here, this is a question about getting silly and playing games, not about how proud you are about not consuming mind altering substances. I didn't engage in the "whats your favorite manga" thread, because my answer would be "manga fucking sucks", but thats just rude so I just skipped it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bybeach

Sober or just a drink or 2 in over 4-5 hours. Drunk hasn't happened for a decade and longer.

I'm glad smoke is becoming legal, and I have some understanding why it would work for video games. Ironically for me, I just don't get along with it period.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Always sober. Haven’t touched any booze in several years, when I did I was terrible at games but I had lots of fun

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just beat two end game bosses in Sekiro without resurrecting, Demon of Hatred and Isshin, all while drunk last night. I usually start tilting if I drink too much, but I must have just had the proper amount because I wasn't overthinking their tells.They definitely took me a couple of tries to get those near-perfect runs, but I wasn't tilting like I usually do when I die multiple times when I'm sober. I generally get a rush of adrenaline in difficult games when I play sober that makes me jittery and start to lose focus. I definitely play better when I'm sober, but I play looser and calmer when I have a few drinks in me.

alphaasbetasf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2-4 beers are kinda helpful while playing fps games, particularly csgo.
it stops the sweaty hands for me, which alone in itself is a huge bonus,
it also makes you a bit calmer in clutch situations.

but if your aim goes all over the place if you overdrink.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Sober. Laser focused, with a bottle of mountain dew and Doritos chips next to me. Let's go bruh.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By BaneFireLord

I only drink while gaming when I'm doing scheduled play sessions with friends, and whether I'm imbibing more than just for the taste depends on the game. I feel like I have a more fun time with sandbox games when I'm a bit buzzed and silly but anything that actually requires thinking or reflexes I'll usually stick to more-or-less sobriety.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

For anything that needs me to be anywhere approaching exact? Sober. I couldn't play something like a Souls game or Tetris while drunk or high. The most I might be able to have is one beer just to loosen up, but even one 6%+ beer might be too much to properly take in and retain information in the long term. Anything story-driven, as well, loses its luster when I've been drinking. It's really hard to get engaged with a story while your eyes are glazed over or you have to pee or you're burping constantly.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

For racing games I find that 1-2 drinks gets me into the zone pretty well, but drinking much more than that will cause me to loose my focus and not do well. I've never drank or used other substances to perform better in games, but we've certainly had some beers with friends while playing and noticed the effects.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Sober. For me video games require a certain level of focus and adding alcohol in the mix makes me less focused