Do you think video games are over priced?

• 80 results
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Suicrat
@The_A_Drain: I was just trying to illustrate that the cost of the game based on purchasing power (since conversion rate tends to be a little more abstract when you're talking about the price of a good in a store) in the U.S. and the U.K. are a lot closer than they appear.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By The_A_Drain
@RsistncE said:
"@The_A_Drain: Sorry bud, I feel bad about arguing with you again but I disagree. Take a look at Activision-Blizzards Quarterly Report for Q1 of 2009. They reported $182 million in net income beyond the $172 million in net operating income. This is in a quarter where there really were NO major releases. They reported production costs being at 30% of net revenues again in a quarter where there were no major releases. They projected a $0.22 EPS for 2009 with $4.7 billion in net revenues. How could you honestly say this company needs to raise the prices of it's games and that they're barely covering their costs? Game prices are too high and they are simply being treated with supply demand dynamics. Many analysts figured game prices would have to drop less the companies wanted to see net revenues drop, the problem is people are still buying the games at the current price point so there's no incentive for the companies to drop the prices because people continue to buy.If you have a look at Acitivision-Blizzard's year over year net revenues you'll see they are nearly consistently increasing. They are selling more and more games so their net revenues are keeping up with their percentage basis costs and in some cases actually decreasing them.I GET capitalism, yeah the company wants to make money, I know but I don't think anyone could legitimately argue that game prices are low or not high enough. From a consumers point of view we should be dealing with perfect compeitition so until we do get perfect competition prices on products will always be too high. That's the gist of it I guess."

Said it before i'll say it again, Activision - Blizzard is not a good place to start when in this sort of discussion, simply saying "Look at all the moneys theys making!" is more than short sighted. I know for a fact that you know (vaguely) your stuff, so don't insult peoples intelligence by glossing over the fact that so much of that money is from World of Warcraft subscriptions, and continued sales of popular franchises that most other companies don't have the luxury of. They can keep on pressing GHIII and GH WT discs for example and people will keep on buying them. Whereas the majority of games only have a shelf life of 6 months, and within that time frame struggle to turn a profit based on the investment.

A large portion of games don't see completion, and a large portion of games never turn a profit either, money made from games that do make a profit also have to cover these costs. It's easy enough to look at a number ans see "$$$ Profit! Ching Ching!" when you don't realise nearly all of that money goes back into paying for failures and investing in future products and only a small portion of it actually gets banked. Activision being the exception of course with the insane amount of money they are bringing in with those huge huge franchises, WoW, GH, etc.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Suicrat
@RsistncE: Just out of curiosity, why the hell does anyone try to apply the concept of perfect competition to reality. Perfect information and free transactions, are literally impossible in a global economy separated by oceans and political interference in the economy.

We can't criticize companies for adhering to the profit motive until we have perfect competition, because that criticism, when applied to politics, leads to more interventions, further obscuring the possibility of "perfect competition".

Perfect competition is a red herring.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Depends on what game we're talking about.
For a game that you can beat in 2 hours, heck yes, but for other games such as Fallout or Oblivion or even RE:5 that have major replayability, no.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

Should I be paying $60-$40 on a game that I'l only play for 12-15 hours? Fuck no, I believe games should be roughly $1 per hour of gameplay, and $3 max. The only time I ever buy a game new is if it's something I really want.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By RsistncE
@The_A_Drain: Yeah you know, telling someone they VAGUELY know what they're talking about isn't insulting at all.

Last I checked Activision-Blizzard isn't alone. EA, Ubisoft etc. report MAJOR profits consistently and in some cases increasing in most of their quarterly results and overall on a year over year basis.

Besides this is stemming out of the major complaint of Activision increasing prices of MW2 by 5 sterling in the UK. So essentially you're agreeing that all of Acitivision-Blizzard's games are overpriced? Or are you just trying to exclude them from debate?

Companies not being able to stay in business is not a consumer based problem. It's a problem with the type of compeitition we have. What major release HASN'T come from a company with yearly and quarterly profits comparable to those of Acti.-Blizz.? The fact is all the major releases that people are complaing about having too high prices are from companies which are making more than enough profit as is (ie. Acti.-Blizz.). FACT.

People complaining about prices of major releases being too high are completely correct in their assumption. As long as companies are pulling profits according to economic theory the consumer isn't getting the optimum price. FACT.

And where do you get your numbers from? All I see is opinion. Everything I have posted is ripped right out of the financial reports that the companies publish.

Sorry to sound douchey at the end but I didn't go ahead and say you "vaguely" know what you're talking about first.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By Radar

If it was based solely on a brand new game at $60 then yes, far overpriced. If it includes used games and the frequent price drops of games (Amazon sales, etc) then no.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By RsistncE
@Suicrat: Because perfect competition is how it's supposed to be. All the people that decried other economic systems saying this one was better don't realize this one is nearly as fubar as the other ones.

If you don't want to criticize companies for operating under profit motive that's fine I have no issue with that. What I do have issue is with people coming out and telling consumers that they're not paying enough because apparently a millions upon millions and even billions in profits isn't good enough for some companies. Give me a break. Then on top of that companies try to regulate consumer buying habits such as in the used games market not realizing they are driving people into the used games market. They don't realize most of piracy comes from the fact that people can't afford to buy their product. I just can't believe there are people out there that honestly don't work for a company that can come out and defend corporations, telling people that they need to pay more. It's just a little damn ridiculous is all.

How is perfect competition a red herring? That's like saying world peace is a red herring when talking about war.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By The_A_Drain
@RsistncE said:
"@The_A_Drain: Yeah you know, telling someone they VAGUELY know what they're talking about isn't insulting at all.Last I checked Activision-Blizzard isn't alone. EA, Ubisoft etc. report MAJOR profits consistently and in some cases increasing in most of their quarterly results and overall on a year over year basis.Besides this is stemming out of the major complaint of Activision increasing prices of MW2 by 5 sterling in the UK. So essentially you're agreeing that all of Acitivision-Blizzard's games are overpriced? Or are you just trying to exclude them from debate?Companies not being able to stay in business is not a consumer based problem. It's a problem with the type of compeitition we have. What major release HASN'T come from a company with yearly and quarterly profits comparable to those of Acti.-Blizz.? The fact is all the major releases that people are complaing about having too high prices are from companies which are making more than enough profit as is (ie. Acti.-Blizz.). FACT.People complaining about prices of major releases being too high are completely correct in their assumption. As long as companies are pulling profits according to economic theory the consumer isn't getting the optimum price. FACT.Sorry to sound douchey at the end but I didn't go ahead and say you "vaguely" know what you're talking about first."

Yes well, based on this comment you can sound as douchey as you want, I still stand by 'vaguely'. You seem only to be interested in looking at yearly takings, and making no effort to understand or even approach any other avenue or to understand how much of the industry is build on borrowed money. After all, loan companies expect a large return for the high risk investment, video game companies some would argue are even higher risk ventures than standard consumer loans.

I'm not looking to exclude anything from this debate, and no I still don't agree that ActiVicions games are overpriced (or anybodies for that matter) as when you get over the simplistic viewpoint of "But they are making money! Economics says i'm right for wanting cheaper products!" you will see that on a project by project basis, only a very small percentage of the hugely successful franchises make this kind of money, most other games do not have that kind of success (yes, even from those large publishers) you also fail to address the point that of those large takings, massive portions of them go back into funding other projects or making up for projects that didn't turn a profit.

It's nowhere near as simple as "They are making more profit every year, therefore I want their products cheaper", even you should realise that simply doesn't make sense.
HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By HellBrendy

In Norway, where I live, computer games are a lot cheaper than consolegames. A new computer game costs aprox. 400 NOK, about 62 USD or 37 GBP, while a videogame costs aprox. 600 nok, about 93 USD or 57 GBP - thats a major difference for the same game.

while I do understand that 37 GBP might not be a lot of money for something you might get 50 hrs of fun out of, 37 GBP is a lot of money non the less.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By animateria
@The_A_Drain:

I'll agree with your statements on the movie biz. But that industry works on a totally different level. A movie franchise doesn't end from a theater release or a DVD for that matter.. They can potentially sell music, clothing and various other merchandise on top of the film itself.

I think several videogame publishers are experimenting with the idea, (Halo franchise is trying to really push it at the moment) but their primary focus is on the games themselves.

Anyways if you consider the consumer the problem is that there is a limit to what a person would spend without any hesitation.

Going to a movie, costs around $8-12, a DVD $20-30, music $10-20, books/magazines $10-20. They are something that a person can spend on a whim.

Now, $60? That is double the amount of those activities. You can argue the value in hours spent, but there is that initial hurdle that makes it harder to spend without considering other options first.

What I'm saying is that at $60, publisher's are furthering the problem of limiting the consumers willingness to spend.

If they are selling less, because of that $10 hike that was meant to recoup their production costs, they are actually losing the $50 they were guaranteed to make.

In a sense, the current price point means that publishers should focus on what is already selling, because people will generally buy something familiar over something unknown. (Most people DO NOT use sites like GiantBomb/1UP/IGN when they purchase a game). So experimenting over a new franchise becomes a bigger risk because people aren't willingly spending $60 on something unknown.

In my limited knowledge, I believe the price point actually hurts sales of games overall. Consumers become more selective and purchase less.  It makes publisher's focus on the well known brands even more, because they can't afford new IPs that will need expensive PR to create a public buzz (that may or may not exist after the PR).

You might use the publisher and its needs as an example but, the consumer is still the most important (and probably most unpredictable) variable in the mix.

Well, there is one thing that does benifit from these problems though. Smaller downloadable games, as well as cheaper handheld games. They are around the 'spend on whim' price point and at half-price of console games without the loss in quality. (graphical quality perhaps but the gameplay is still there)

Edit: Make that two... :P
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Suicrat
@RsistncE: I do not pretend to know the "optimum" price for an entertainment product. But paying 8 hours of unskilled labour for a good that cost hundreds of thousands of hours of skilled labour to produce is a pretty good deal. And I will excuse companies who can find a way of making millions and billions of dollars worth of profit while making games as affordable as they are now.

And yes, perfect competition is definitely a red herring when you consider the fact that our economies have built in further barriers to perfect competition as a result of the political fallout of imperfect competition. World peace would be impossible to achieve if the only way you went about achieving it was to kill everyone who had a different vision of world peace than you.

The same applies to the concept of perfect competition. You can't engender perfect competition by enacting price controls, by dictating the cost of goods, taxing "excess" profits, or increasing the cost of doing business (i.e., raising minimum wage). These aims are impossible to achieve politically.

Sure, there's nothing stopping you from criticising Activision/Blizzard, EA, or whatever publisher you want, but if you were to attempt to force them to conform to your vision of an ideal marketplace, you'd do more harm than good.
L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By L33tfella_H

Yes.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By RsistncE
@The_A_Drain: Well I think you know jack shit. Your arguments entirely upon your opinion and you provide no factual evidence from any solid sources. As far as I'm concerned you don't give off any sort of impression that you actually know what you're talking about.

Just to clarify, MOST industries are built on liabilities. Seriously though what the fuck does that have to do with game prices? All these companies have a positive net worth and their liability ratios along with all other risky ratios are safe and manageable or no one in their right fucking mind would invest in these companies. Is this seriously the best you could come up with?

YES it is about the profits they are making. There is NO good reason for them to increase prices on their products when they for one are not seeing a decrease in profits in year over year. Who gives a fuck about a project by project basis. It all goes on ONE consolidated balance sheet buddy. Each individual game isn't funded by one individual company. It's just ONE product in a line of many. All that fucking matters is what's on their financial statements if anything else mattered they would be forced by law to disclose it on those same statements.

What a company does with their retained earnings is not my problem as a consumer. It would be my problem if I was an investor. When someone goes into to buy groceries and they see the price of milk has been jacked up by 10% and they ask the owner why the price has gone up. I guarantee you that "we want to buy MORE milk than usual so we can make more proft" excuse isn't going to fly with the consumer. And you can put as much a spin on it as you want, but using words like massive isn't going to change the fact that well over 50% of the profits go into pockets. Again what a company does with their retained earnings isn't my problem and you're acting like when they put those retained earnings into a new project it just dissapears. Not it doesn't because they're essentially just changing those earnings into product which they will go on to sell to make profits.

So yes, it is as simple as "they are making large profits therefore the product should be cheaper."
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By RsistncE
@Suicrat: The calculations you used aren't a legitimate way of figuring out the value of a product. It's just not done like that for many reasons. It's a normative statement you're making when you're essentially just making a judgment call on whether you THINK that we're getting a good deal for games.

It's not a red herring at all. I'm not saying let's enforce perfect competition. I'm just pointing out that products will ALWAYS be over priced until we achieve perfect competition and that there is no way anyone can honestly justify increases in market price of products when the companies producing them are already pulling in massive profits. That's all I'm saying regarding that.
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Less and less so (higher development costs), but for some of them (see movie tie-ins and the usual crappy PS2 and Wii games) really are overpriced.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Suicrat
@RsistncE: Nothing wrong with consumer advocacy in the marketplace of ideas. I'm not going to ask you to stop.

I was earlier trying to illustrate the relative price of the item based on entry-level wages. It wasn't meant to be a Purchasing Power Parity evaluation of the cost of the good.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By CL60

Not really.

sd_jasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By sd_jasper

If I bought the game, then clearly I felt that it was worth the cost.  Of course, I wait for sales and price drops on many games.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By fenixrevolution

I don't buy half as many games like I used to, but it's hard to say if thats because they're overpriced. However, if I see an older game that is say $20.00, I'll buy it before a $60.00 brand new game.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By The_A_Drain

"So yes, it is as simple as "they are making large profits therefore the product should be cheaper." "

Yeah well there you go then, if you're going to flat out admit such an ignorant viewpoint why should I bother rebuffing it?

I do know a substantial amount more than 'jack shit' the problem is it's all too easy to troll around the place finding figures for overall icnrease in profits, companies are all too happy to release those publicly, but a might more difficult (read: impossible) to find information on a project by project basis, and solid information in budgets, costs and returns in individual games (apart from those that sell zillions)

So whatever dude, my viewpoints are not based in speculation or opinion, it's just impossible to give solid facts and figures, only estimates that I know (for a fact) to be true. If you don't want to listen to them or to take any of them on board and to continue spouting your narrow minded, selfish, purely consumer standpoint, go ahead make my day. It's a little hard to swallow from someone who thinks that the high price of a luxury and non-essential item gives him the right to pirate it whenever he can't afford it.

I know for a fact that you know your stuff, you just don't know shit about the specifics of where that money is going or how it's breaking down in relation to this specific industry, which unfortunately means you cannot simply say that a large profit equates to overpriced games. I don't see you complaining about DVDs being overpriced, yet the percentages are all the same, some even operate on a higher markup than videogames.

Bottom fucking line, it costs $30 to get that $60 game to you. A 100% markup is pretty fucking low when compared to other products the world over. It's a wonder they have managed to stay at that price with massively increasing budgets and associated costs as well as the current economic climate.

If companies didn't pull profits, that money couldn't be recycled into new project, you're perfect competition bullshit is as ignorant as it is unobtainable, products will always be overpriced until we have perfect competition? Give me a fucking break, even you should realise how ridiculous that sounds. Who's being opinionated and illogical now? Seriously, if you don't think companies taking on such large risks have earned the right to make large profits, thats's fine, don't buy the games.

Said it in the first post i'll say it again, threads like this only incite hatred and ignorance, how can anyone hope to spark a reasoned debate when every single person present is going to be a consumer, how much of a one-sided argument do you want? Heck if you wall want to sit here and bitch about the price of games, go the fuck ahead you won't change anything, and games will be rising in price by 2011/2012 I guaran-fucking-tee it. Bitch whine and moan about it all you want, but in most cases the price hike is necessary, and those where it's not, companies might even be nice enough to take advantage of that by marketing those games at $60.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#72  Edited By choffy21

It all depends on the game. Modern Warfare 2 could be $120 and it still wouldn't be overpriced for me, becasue I know I'm going to get at least 150 hours out of that game. Prototype, on the other hand, was the biggest waste of $60 in my life. Sure, it was fun for 5 hours, but the game should not be bought for more $30.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Suicrat
@The_A_Drain: You know, it's funny. Your post made me realize that owning media in a tangible state is completely incompatible with the concept of "Perfect Competition".
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By penguindust

All Relic Entertainment developed games are 50% off this weekend on Steam.  That's Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 for $24.95 and a Relic Super pack that includes Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 1 (+ expansion) and Company of Heroes Gold (+ 1 expansion) for $24.95.   That's a great deal, so for PC gamers prices are sometimes still very reasonable.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Daryl

Everything's overpriced.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By angelkanarias

60 dollars in the US, 60 euros in Europe, does that make any sense? 60 dollars are 42 euros, that should be the price of the videogamesin europe. 60 euros is just too much money, imagine paying 84 dollars for a videogame.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77  Edited By hockeymask27

Whats makes me mad at games prices is that living in Montreal i can get to the states in two hours. However games are 10-15 dollars more expensive yes i know us dollar is higher. but even when the Canadian dollar was worth more we were still getting charged more. another thing is in Canada used games never become cheap when i went to Vermont during the ps2 days think was 2004 i saw games for 9.99 us that would never go below 20 here. In fact I have never seen a  current gen came cheaper then 19 dollars here except the darkness once. oh ya but the way the sales tax in Quebec is bullshit 1.5% but it has gone down form 15% so that's good. really i don't what i just typed but it felt good to vent. hmm i want to buy perfect dark zero that should be cheap now right? wrong 19.99 at most stores still.

ps since this recent economic crisis games are 69.99 plus tax now.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By super_machine

Some games are. If you are paying $60 for a game that may have less than six hours of content, its too much. But if you pay that same price for a game with 15 to 30 hours of content its just right. In the US games cost around $60, and have for a long time. Most games cost more during the SNES days if I recall.

starfox444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By starfox444

Yes in Australia as the following screeny will show.

No Caption Provided

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By AgentofChaos

I didn't mind when games were new at 50 dollars but 60 seems overpriced, especially for year-to-year games like call of duty and any sports title. I find myself waiting till next year at this price point.