Does making Fallout NV GTYO irresponsible?

• 71 results
wholemeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By wholemeal

What do you think, if you were a publication like giantbomb deciding on GOTY. Would making Fallout NV GOTY tell developers and publishers that releasing a broken game is OK? 

For many of you who think Fallout NV IS the GOTY, do you ignore the many many problems that was associated with it's release? And is that a good thing?

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ShadowKnight508

It is not irresponsible for them to do so if it included all of the patches to fix the many issues that plague the game and as what Fallout 3 did, include all DLC packs with it. I would go and buy the GOTY version if they could do that and make it worth my purchase.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By CptChiken

Its  not irresponsible at all, you you think its game of the year its your opinion. I dont think they reased a janky game on purpose, they just didnt test properly. 

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Old engine, more of the same, bugs and glitches galore.

The game might be decent in the story and gameplay section, but it shouldn't have been released when it did.
I returned it the very next day since all the bad stuff made me lose interest fast.

Its no goty, not even fucking close, if anyone has a little brain.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MysteriousBob

I can't wrap my head around the title's grammar.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Animasta
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Old engine, more of the same, bugs and glitches galore.  The game might be decent in the story and gameplay section, but it shouldn't have been released when it did. I returned it the very next day since all the bad stuff made me lose interest fast.  Its no goty, not even fucking close, if anyone has a little brain. "
it's one of mine, it's fucking fantastic and way better than any bethesda game, and I could care less about bugs (only like 3 crashes to desktops in 60 hours)
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By haggis
@MysteriousBob said:
" I can't wrap my head around the title's grammar. "
This.

But no, it's not irresponsible. Even with the glitches, the game is better than 95% of what's out there. It's really a great game. I'd pick a different game, but it's not irresponsible to pick F:NV.
stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By stinky
@MysteriousBob said:

worse, i'm so used to the internet my brain ignored the grammar and translated it properly. 
yikes. 

so with that, making fallout GOTY is no more irresponsible than the english in this thread.
rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By rentfn

Game of the Year is people opinions, You can disagree with their choice but it's still that persons choice.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By crusader8463

I think it's a testament to how much they enjoyed the game to be willing to overlook ALL the problems that it has. As some one who absolutely despised Fallout 3 I can honestly say that I was surprised as hell at how much I enjoyed NV. Other then some crashes in the last half, and my companion disappearing for the last 3-4 hours, I had a completely bug free game and an awesome time with it. I played it on PC with a few mods and it ran perfectly. I could not imagine playing it on a console though. Those loads looked disgusting.

wholemeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wholemeal
@Laketown:    Just wondering lake, would you continue to buy oblivions next game if you knew it was as buggy as new vegas was?
benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By benpack
@crusader8463 said:
" I think it's a testament to how much they enjoyed the game to be willing to overlook ALL the problems that it has.  "
Exactly. If you can overlook the bugs and crashes, of which I had  few, I loved this game.
christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By christ0phe
@MysteriousBob said:
Also, who is making it their game of the year?
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Marcsman

Hmmmmm it crashes a lot. I have a buddy who crashes it every twenty minutes. I love it,  but you are screwed if you do not save every ten minutes. 
Does not seem to have GOTY potential IMO. 
It's a Florida game, it's too damn buggy.................
SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SteamPunkJin

It's a rehash of a 2008 game - it doesn't deserve GOTY for that reason alone. I don't think adding a Companion Command Wheel and Hardcore mode are enough to garner GOTY praise.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By delta_ass

Nobody's gonna make New Vegas their GOTY, so there's no need to worry about this.

DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By DrHawking

It was one of my top 5 games I enjoyed most this year but definitely not GOTY worthy even if it wasn't as buggy and broken as it was when it first came out.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By WickedCestus
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Old engine, more of the same, bugs and glitches galore.  The game might be decent in the story and gameplay section, but it shouldn't have been released when it did. I returned it the very next day since all the bad stuff made me lose interest fast.  Its no goty, not even fucking close, if anyone has a little brain. "
I'M RIGHT AND EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES IS STUPID AND HAS NO BRAIN 
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Laketown: 
To each their own, I'm pretty easy but saving a game every 5 mins to not lose progress due to a random bug is not my way of fun.

@supermike6:
 I HAVE NOTHING TO ADD MYSELF AND ONLY QUOTE OTHER USERS TO LOOK COOL

Seriously, I'd like to see a Halo, Mario or Uncharted be released with the same bugs, watch that shit get torn apart then.
PoppaKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PoppaKyle

I didn't experience that many bugs.. Only froze like 2 maybe. I would not make it GOTY because I didn't really like the story as much, but I think it would be a fine GOTY.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CptBedlam

I can see the point, to be honest.

I at least hope that outlets consider the bug-problems with the game. If it's still goty for them, so be it. But I highly doubt it.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By leebmx
@TaliciaDragonsong: You should try having no brain sometimes it really helps you enjoy some games which you might otherwise return to the shop.  Like some other users have said I think it is a testament to the strength of the story writing and world Bethesda created that a game run on a old as hell engine and with a large number of bugs can be so enjoyable and immersive. 
 It is one of my favourite games of the year, and although I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, last time I shook my head I was sure I could hear something rattling about. I would buy a 2nd hand copy now the patch is here and give it another try.
Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Chop

The game is a broken piece of shit. I wouldn't worry about it getting any game of the year awards anywhere. 

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

If this comprehensive patch fixes most of the game's big bugs, then it could very well be a strong contender for game of the year.  

Also, I can't fucking stand people who think their opinion is king, and insist that only people without brains could like this game.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animasta
@Wholemeal said:
" @Laketown:    Just wondering lake, would you continue to buy oblivions next game if you knew it was as buggy as new vegas was? "
without a doubt!
hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hexx462
I'm failing to see how it would be irresponsible, WRONG maybe.  

@TaliciaDragonsong: While I enjoyed the game a ton and sunk 60 hours into it, I absolutely see why you would return it. There were some infuriating bugs in that game, the true irresponsibility was Bethesda releasing the game in the state it was in.
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By monkeyking1969

Irresponsible?  No, because what real responsibility in any real world terms does Giant Bomb have legally.  I suppose if they choose that game and we all said, “Screw those guys…why am I even here if their standards are that low” then that might be an issue for them and us.  But if they choose that game I see very little actual harm (in a legal sense) that could be levied against what amounts to an opinion.  

However, I think a much better point could be made by saying, "This could have been our GOTY, but we feel the glitches and instability of the product as released and after patching take it out of the running."  That puts the issue on the table for the developer and publisher while also giving some recognition for being more of the more notable releases.   Rather than outright leaving it off I think having it in contention would be more interesting.  Moreover, I rather doubt it will win anything.  This was a frightening good year for games and I think even without flaws Fallout would have not won. 

My feeling is that a game that crashes, glitches, and loses data frequently, no matter how well in other respects, is not a game that should win awards.   It would be like saying the 2010 production of Hamlet by the Royal Shakespeare theater in-which half the actors misspoke their lines and the scenery fell on the audiences (killing 10) was the best rendition of Hamlet for the year.  No, that would be a catastrophe and would not win any awards even if all the other play that year were less remarkable then Hamlet.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

Mm it's not irresponsible, but you really should make a big point that it won DESPITE being broken as hell and that it's no excuse, but also that at it's core it was a good game.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WickedCestus
@TaliciaDragonsong: What are you even talking about? I'm not trying "to look cool", I'm just pointing out that you were being a jerk. I think if you read the post, you'll see that I actually did add something. It's in all caps, not that hard to miss.
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong: You should try having no brain sometimes it really helps you enjoy some games which you might otherwise return to the shop.  Like some other users have said I think it is a testament to the strength of the story writing and world Bethesda created that a game run on a old as hell engine and with a large number of bugs can be so enjoyable and immersive.  It is one of my favourite games of the year, and although I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, last time I shook my head I was sure I could hear something rattling about. I would buy a 2nd hand copy now the patch is here and give it another try. "
As I said, its quite a great game in other areas.
I just lost all my interest in the game after it shutdown about 5 times, losing me progress.
A game shouldn't have me saving every 5 minutes to avoid losing progress due to glitches and errors.
I fully plan to buy this game when the price goes low or if its gets a special edition with the DLC and all that, I just didn't feel good paying 60 bucks for this glitchfest. 

@supermike6:
 Mmm-hmm, merely my opinion up there.
The game was broken as hell at launch (yes, some people never got any problems, but some people never got red ring of death either, doesn't mean it doesn't happen) and as I said above in this post it was horrible to lose progress every hour because the game decided to suddenly die.
tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By tourgen

I wonder how much reviews matter at this point given how well it sold?  I wish they could get a well tested product out the door the first try too, but I'm just glad they are still making fun games.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I doesn't thought it has become unresponsible because fallout nv being a best game of released in this year

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle
@Wholemeal said:
" @Laketown:    Just wondering lake, would you continue to buy oblivions next game if you knew it was as buggy as new vegas was? "
Is Oblivion  a developer or something? 
leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By leebmx
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @leebmx said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong: You should try having no brain sometimes it really helps you enjoy some games which you might otherwise return to the shop.  Like some other users have said I think it is a testament to the strength of the story writing and world Bethesda created that a game run on a old as hell engine and with a large number of bugs can be so enjoyable and immersive.  It is one of my favourite games of the year, and although I'm not the sharpest tool in the box, last time I shook my head I was sure I could hear something rattling about. I would buy a 2nd hand copy now the patch is here and give it another try. "
As I said, its quite a great game in other areas.
I just lost all my interest in the game after it shutdown about 5 times, losing me progress.
A game shouldn't have me saving every 5 minutes to avoid losing progress due to glitches and errors.
I fully plan to buy this game when the price goes low or if its gets a special edition with the DLC and all that, I just didn't feel good paying 60 bucks for this glitchfest. 

Fair enough, I can understand how that many problems would be annoying. From your initial post it wasn't clear whether you returned it because of problems you were having or because of the bad noises around the game gener ally.  
                          Where I am the price has already dropped below half of initial launch price so the bad press must have had some impact.  
                      It is a strange one this game, I think when you come to play it you will see that they seem to have sacrificed content for developing a new engine. I have never played a game which is so packed full of things to do (way more imo than F3). To make a game with the content in FNV and a new luverly bug free engine would have taken them at least 2 years longer in my completely unproffessional opinion. 
  In other words I am prepared to put up with the bugs for lots of new Fallout stuff now and then wait a decent time for next iteration on a new engine. However if you were not such a big fan of the world I can see why this might not appeal.  
 I think they should have sent a Beta of this out to a few thousand people for proper testing as it seems the only way to really minimise all the glitches in such a huge complicated playing area. 
   (Not sure why i've got weird typefaces here but it seems to fit in with the theme of the discussion anyway)
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx: 
I loved Fallout 3 and Oblivion and most of Bethesda's and Obsidians previous work, but I do not like delving into deep RPG's when glitches, crashes and errors make me lose progress.
All there is too it really!

I admit, when they announced the new Elder Scrolls my first thought was: 'Please, let it be beta tested!'
Avatar image for deactivated-5de441812a230
deactivated-5de441812a230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's irresponsible to purchase a broken game.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By melcene
@MysteriousBob said:
This. 

I didn't experience a lot of these bugs I heard so many other people talk about.  Out of the I dunno... 50 or so hours of gameplay that I've put in so far, I think I've had 2 or 3 crashes, and I can't necessarily even attribute those to the game.  The only other bug I had happen to me was some wierd one where my characters arms would be at eye level rather than at shoulder level, and that would occasionally cause my Pipboy screen to be way offcentered, but I also knew how to fix that. 

GOTY?  Probably not.  But I wouldn't rant and rave if someone did make it their GOTY.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By EpicSteve

It's an opinion. A game can fail to boot up 9/10 times, but if it's still more enjoyable than everything else that came out...then it's GOTY.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SomeJerk

Instead of a site or publication making it a GOTY it should be an honorary mention stating it was decided to not be allowed a GOTY because of the state it shipped in, but that it is a very good game in a very bad engine. Giving it a GOTY thinking you're doing it right because patches fixed it is telling publishers straight up that it's okay to rush out piles of shit, as long as you patch things up within 2-3 months.

Redharlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Redharlow

Not necessarily irresponsible but considering that it is just more F3 but with some tweaks to gameplay it is hard to categorize as a contender. Especially with signficantly improved sequels out there like ME2. I absolutely love NV and have put roughly 75 hours into it but it isn't even one of my picks for GOTY. It's coming down to RDR, Limbo, and God of War 3.
FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FlipperDesert

No, it's not. A game should be rated on the experience as a whole, not just the technical crap.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Skald

Well, I spent more time with New Vegas than almost any other game this year, and I enjoyed every minute of it. 
Everyone declaring this game to be broken are being really overdramatic.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Skald

Here's a thought, making a game with a six hour single player campaign the GOTY- is that any better?

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hexx462
@TaliciaDragonsong said:

" Mmm-hmm, mome people never got any problems, but some people never got red ring of death either, doesn't mean it doesn't happen) "

This.  I HATE the argument of "well it worked fine for me, therefore it had no problems". There are a massive amount of complaints lodged at this game for a reason; I don't recall hearing as many issues with a game like Mass Effect 2 or other big releases this year.  Just a mere hour or so before beating the game it began to crash every time I used VATS or switched weapons, and this problem infected all of my old saves. The "fix" I found after making multiple Google searches over the course of a few days was to put my entire inventory into a storage compartment and then take it all back. Having a bug of that magnitude in a major release is inexcusable.  

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By august

The thread title is hurting my brain.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Tally_Pants
@MysteriousBob:
its pretty painful...
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#47  Edited By Undeadpool

It's better than Fallout 3, which was already pretty damn good, so I absolutely think it should be. 
@TaliciaDragonsong: The difference is that those aren't open-world games. Open-world games suffer from vastly higher amounts of jank because it's so much harder for the devs to get into every nook and cranny and still make a deadline. Even Rockstar's sandbox games are pretty glitchy if you put them up against something like Uncharted.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#48  Edited By citizenkane

No.  If someone feels that it's the GOTY, then they should make it their GOTY.  There will be those developers that put out shovelware to make money, but the best developers will not purposely make janky games just because they saw some other people have success with a janky game.  They are going to make the best game they can.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FreakAche

Considering that this was the year that Mass Effect 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Meat Boy came out, I would have to say yes, making Fallout New Vegas game of the year would be irresponsible.

TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Undeadpool: 
Ehm I said Fallout 3 and Oblivion, those game are openworld as fuck.

And my point still stands, I never had to stop playing any big RPG (openworld or no) just because the sheer amount of glitches and errors either made it unplayable, not fun or erasing progress.
New Vegas was kinda of a big deal right? Famous voice actors, lots of ads and hypes around, people being pretty excited, and then the game decides to be crap.

This reminds me btw, The Witcher, another great RPG which was near unplayable at launch, but I discovered it sometime after the big patch that fixed everything and its one of my favorite games of all time.

If my savegame crashes in a FPS, I'll re-do the level, no worries, same for a beat em up, hell I'd even do the water temple again if my Zelda cartridge messes up, but a story driven huge rpg game that is influenced by my (impulse) choices and actions is not something I want to replay every 15 minutes.

Still, I am going to buy it again soon if I can convince myself that it won't die on me again.