Does making Fallout NV GTYO irresponsible?

• 71 results
dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By dudacles
@MysteriousBob said:
" I can't wrap my head around the title's grammar. "
Same here. 

If the good sides of Fallout: New Vegas outweigh its bad ones, then there is no reason why it shouldn't be up for GOTY nomination. Remember, while the game was supposedly buggy (I have yet to play it, unfortunately) Obsidian must have put a ton of work into the dialogue, story and realisation of Vegas. If that ultimately shines through enough to warrant calling it the best game of the year, nobody could have a problem with that. However, I would be very much surprised if Fallout: NV gets elected by the staff as GOTY.
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#52  Edited By Undeadpool
@TaliciaDragonsong: What I'm saying is that both those games you've listed were ALSO glitchy and buggy as fuck, New Vegas is at most as buggy as Fallout 3, if not less. So I'm saying if Fallout 3 was really in the running for GOTY, there's no reason NV shouldn't be as it's also a vastly superior game. What I was saying is that it's unfair to compare the glitchiness of New Vegas to a much more linear game like Uncharted.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Animasta
@FreakAche said:
" Considering that this was the year that Mass Effect 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Super Meat Boy came out, I would have to say yes, making Fallout New Vegas game of the year would be irresponsible. "
super meat boy was overrated, I don't have a wii and ME2 would probably barely make my top 10.

so THERE (F:NV isn't my goty either, that's Nier, but that's probably a harder sell)
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

@Undeadpool: 
I only compare what my money is worth.
At the time I rather put cash in Fable 3 then NV because it died to me.
But hey, opinions and experiences, they rock and don't forget it, if its your goty, by all means go for it!
End of the day its about what you enjoy, not what the mass enjoys.
If I had any care for that, I'd join a religion.

Also, Oblivion has never crashed to desktop or erased saves, Fallout 3 had loads of gfx errors but also no sudden program deaths.
I had both at release.
Not saying it didn't happen, but its my personal experience with these things.

If you buy a coffee machine but its broken, and the company promises to come fix it in half a years time, would you wait out and later on tell people how great the thing was when it came out...or return that thing and get another machine from a new brand?
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#55  Edited By Undeadpool
@TaliciaDragonsong: It's definitely not my #1 GOTY, but it's going on my list for sure. And I've never had Oblivion fully crash, but I got stuck in the geometry or had a quest become unbeatable plenty of times. 
And my copy of Fallout 3 didn't work until they patched it 3 months later. It would work for 20 minutes and then crash to desktop without fail. But yeah, at the end of the day, to each their own.
Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Fruitcocoa

This is always a huge problem. I remember last years discussions here in Sweden on the site that I ran at the time. It was between Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Dragon Age: Origins. This year I kind of feel like THE game of the year (in my opinion Mass Effect 2) is almost the opposit way. While the story isn't something that everyone enjoy (I did) the game was pretty much flawless. In my opinion you kind of have to look at these things as Giant Bomb and when it comes to that I think that Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2 are two very close to perfect games. Fallout: New Vegas is way out off the GOTY discussions because of it's engine flaws. 

Fascism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By Fascism

I played a lot of games this year and it was hands down my favorite, is that what "Game of the year" means?

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Mrnitropb
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" @Undeadpool:  Ehm I said Fallout 3 and Oblivion, those game are openworld as fuck.  And my point still stands, I never had to stop playing any big RPG (openworld or no) just because the sheer amount of glitches and errors either made it unplayable, not fun or erasing progress. New Vegas was kinda of a big deal right? Famous voice actors, lots of ads and hypes around, people being pretty excited, and then the game decides to be crap.  This reminds me btw, The Witcher, another great RPG which was near unplayable at launch, but I discovered it sometime after the big patch that fixed everything and its one of my favorite games of all time.  If my savegame crashes in a FPS, I'll re-do the level, no worries, same for a beat em up, hell I'd even do the water temple again if my Zelda cartridge messes up, but a story driven huge rpg game that is influenced by my (impulse) choices and actions is not something I want to replay every 15 minutes.  Still, I am going to buy it again soon if I can convince myself that it won't die on me again. "
I'm with you. I've put in over 300 combined hours into Mass effect 1&2, and Dragon Age, with no crashes or game breaking bugs that weren't caused by my Xbox dieing.  
F:NV crashed on me all the goddamned time, causing at least 8 hours of lost play time, out of 80. I am putting it away until more patches and/or DLC come out for it. 
owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Nah, it's irresponsible to give a bad or over-rated or merely popular game GOTY. Games will have bugs if given insufficient funding and time, the people at Obsidian are talented with a proven track record. They are just given a year and low budgets to make sequels to established franchises because it's a convenient arrangement for the publisher. Also, open-world RPGs on Bethesda's scale are the hardest to code and bug-test, in addition Gamebryo seems the default engine for such games and it unfortunately is "janked". 
It's the fault of Emergent Technologies for coding it and Bethesda for licensing it. Obsidian did the best they could in constrained circumstances, and a lot of the criticism seems to be kneejerk reactions based on a lack of understanding of capitalism, publisher-developer relations, and game design.

Also: Fallout 3 won GOTY, it was also broken, and it's an inferior game mechanically and in terms of writing. So I rest my case.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Scrawnto

How many of the people complaining about the brokenness of F:NV have actually played the game? Most of the people that have actually played the game seem to say that the reports of bugginess are exaggerated.

Based on my time with Fallout NV, which was almost entirely free of bugs, I wouldn't call it irresponsible at all. It wouldn't quite be my top pick as Mass Effect 2 felt better produced over all, but it's definitely up there.

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Fruitcocoa

I don't think that Giant Bomb would count as a relieble source for video games if they said that Fallout: New Vegas is the best game overall of 2010. To be honest. It's a very good game, but we did see some pretty amazing, near perfect games this year. 

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By ch3burashka

I haven't heard a lot of NV GOTY talk. There are plenty of other games worthy of that title. 

Speaking of titles, change your subject title. Come on, man...

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Mrnitropb
@CarlSmith said:
" I don't think that Giant Bomb would count as a relieble source for video games if they said that Fallout: New Vegas is the best game overall of 2010. To be honest. It's a very good game, but we did see some pretty amazing, near perfect games this year.  "
What about RPGOTY? Is it better than FFXIII or XIV, or Fable 3? They're all flawed gems, in their own ways, and a shit tonne better than Alpha Protocol, right?
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Scrawnto
@CH3BURASHKA: That title is pretty heinous. Is it actually possible to change the title of a thread?
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65  Edited By JJWeatherman

Most people here seem to be in the "it's fine" camp, so I'll got he other way. 

Yes it would be at least a little irresponsible for a large publication to name this the GOTY. For a random internet user to do it is one thing, but it's entirely different when people that are paid to rate games do it. I do think that it may send a bit of a message that shipping broken games is OK. Sure games can easily be patched these days, but that's far from an ideal situation. 

At the end of the day, I don't think any game with that many problems should be considered for GOTY. Especially when there are so many other great games released during this year that don't suffer from copious bugs and glitches.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Mrnitropb
@Scrawnto said:
" @CH3BURASHKA: That title is pretty heinous. Is it actually possible to change the title of a thread? "
Nope. It on the Mod teams new year resolutions.  

@JJWeatherman:  Also, Mass Effect 2 should beat it in all categories anyway. But next time you can, look at all the sources mentioned on the back of GOTY game boxes. How many are actual sites you trust and frequent/purchase?  
Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#67  Edited By Johnny5

The reason why the title is confusing is because he did his best to fit his thinly veiled rant into a title supposedly about something else other than 'hurr durr bugsss'. 

You know what is  irresponsible for journalists? To ask questions that nudge towards a particular answer.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Supermarius

I don't think Fallout New Vegas is glitchy compared to other similar games, because there are no other game companies that try to do what Bethesda does. A huge open world with genuine non-linearity of questing, with a morality system, lots of dialog, and the ability to interact with almost everything. Noone else even tries to do this. The reason they don't is probably because they couldn't pull it off. Bethesda does pull it off, albeit only by the skin of their teeth.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think it is my game of the year.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@Mrnitropb: 
Exactly my point, for some people it works without a flaw and for others it doesn't, but point here is that there was too much of it.
If one guys xbox dies, its hardly anything, but if everyone's xbox red rings, that's a problem and its a bad point for Microsoft, no matter how ya put it.

@Undeadpool: 
Yep, stick to your favs and love em.
But in F:NV's case the bugs and errors were widespread and cause of much debate on forums and affected reviews, that's just bad from the company and that kind of policy doesn't deserve GOTY, no matter how polished the game eventually becomes.
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

They'll release a GOTY-edition anyhow, so who cares.