• 118 results
#1 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3885 posts) -

Patreon Link

It seemed obvious from the teaser last week, but it's official now. Drew is going to be making documentaries about games. But unlike Danny's stuff on NoClip - it sounds like instead of focusing on specific games and studios, Drew wants to focus on games and culture. And not just video games either.

Cloth Map is a video series that explores how games impact the lives of people around the world. Games are a universal concept, but can take drastically different forms from culture to culture. By exploring these differences, I hope to not only expand our definition of “games,” but also remind ourselves that no matter our background, everyone on Earth loves having a good time.

Anyone thinking of backing? I can see myself maybe pitching in at $3 a month - just to support him since the work will be on Youtube anyway.

#2 Posted by cascadebeta (15 posts) -

Backed him for $10! I'm hoping for matching investment from his meme money.

#3 Posted by OhBabes (147 posts) -

So this is a codename for Drew playing through Death Stranding, right?

#4 Posted by robbparris (301 posts) -

Backed. This is exactly the sorta thing I was hoping Drew would do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
#5 Posted by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -

Backed for $10. I think this could be super cool. Go Drew!

#6 Posted by Y2Ken (2953 posts) -

Yeah, this really seems like a perfect fit for him. Watching his launch livestream is super uplifting, I hope he finds a ton of success with it. Definitely a very cool sounding project.

#7 Edited by isomeri (3122 posts) -

This is the first Patreon I'll be backing. I did intend to back Danny at one point, but he seems to be doing OK for himself already. I'll be very interested to see how Drew intends to balance all the responsibilities of shooting, editing and hosting a show.

Best of luck!

EDIT: Holy hell if the GB Premium subscription isn't a fantastic value at 5 bucks a month or 50 a year, considering that the jump-in point for Patreons like this is 3 dollars.

#8 Edited by JohnyMyko (1891 posts) -

The original name was going to be White Guy Blinking World Tour, but the name was too long.

But for real, I'm so happy for Drew, I hope this goes well and he can do the content of his dreams.

#9 Edited by Jesus_Phish (3885 posts) -

@isomeri: That's what I'm basing my $3 tier at. I buy the GB sub when it's on sale because as a European the voucher for the store means very little to me. So for €35 I get 12 months - or just about €3 a month which is fine for me. The idea of giving an internet man €120/240 a year is just not for me.

#10 Posted by bassguy (334 posts) -

I'm so glad he's doing this instead of leaving for some high-paying, soul-crushing corporate gig. He has my support.

#11 Posted by chango (1077 posts) -

Backed. First Patreon I've done. Extremely excited about this and the adventures Drew is going on.

#12 Posted by bmccann42 (407 posts) -

Done, I am in.

#13 Posted by Mister_V (2442 posts) -

I'm in. Sounds super cool.

#14 Edited by blackblade500 (701 posts) -

Yep, backed him as well. I am so glad that Drew is doing something like this, it seems perfect for him, and I have all the confidence that we will get some great docs out of it. Congrats Drew!

#15 Posted by thebrainninja (379 posts) -

Very backed. Good luck, Drew!

#16 Posted by Rejizzle (1122 posts) -

Drew "Trending Gamer" Scanlon.

#17 Posted by Aarny91 (3961 posts) -

Really cool idea. I was thinking he was gonna do something with travelling. Surprised it's game related.

#18 Posted by Shmellow (64 posts) -

Backed

#19 Posted by Dray2k (884 posts) -

Oh this seems great. Can't wait to see what the "final product" going to be like. Exciting times!

#20 Posted by Noobsmog (147 posts) -

This is the most Drew thing he could be doing. Must less saltier about him leaving now.

#21 Posted by Carville (18 posts) -

Backed and looking forward to it, Drew is S rank.

#22 Posted by glots (4336 posts) -

Feels odd to see Drew in a feature seperate from Giant Bomb! It does seem like a really good feature, though!

Backed for $5 for starters, now he's obliged to come over to Finland and visit Remedy.

Avatar image for the_dude_abides
#23 Posted by The_Dude_Abides (285 posts) -

RLM, Danny o Dwyer, Second Captains, Outsiders podcast... now Drew.

...these are adding up, might have to cancel my internet soon.

#24 Edited by larmer (1101 posts) -

I love what GB does. I love Danny's Patreon project, but I couldn't be less interested in Cloth Map. Drew's a cool duder but a travelogue that documents the impact of games on regular folk around the world is not something I find intriguing. Good luck to him, though.

#25 Posted by doctordonkey (1827 posts) -

Giant Bomb worldwide is actually happening? Hot damn, I've been waiting 7 years for this.

#26 Edited by BojackHorseman (690 posts) -

Backed for

Loading Video...

#27 Posted by ripelivejam (13188 posts) -

i'll back this cause drew, but not sure about how well it'll do. i think the gaming slant seems sort of shoehorned in. we'll see.

cute name and a good sort of gamer injoke, but not sure how catchy it is.

#28 Posted by xanadu (2045 posts) -

Didnt even have to watch the whole video before heading to subscribe. This is EXACTLY what I wanted :)

#29 Edited by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

Personally I am not into gaming docs so much especially not when they are about "lifestyle" type things but I wish Drew the best of luck.

#30 Edited by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

@isomeri said:

EDIT: Holy hell if the GB Premium subscription isn't a fantastic value at 5 bucks a month or 50 a year, considering that the jump-in point for Patreons like this is 3 dollars.

I have thought this for a while. I didn't get into patreon until recently and only for one podcast (Chapo Trap House) but I give them $5 a month for basically 4 podcasts. Which I don't feel bad about (I think we all take free content for granted and I like paying for good stuff) but if you compare to what GB gets me when I get it on sale for $35 it's a great deal and it feels like they should charge more.

#31 Edited by mellotronrules (2610 posts) -

i wouldn't be surprised if he clears 10k/mo. by the end of of the day.

man, patreon is a weird thing.

also:

bless this drew.

#32 Edited by ripelivejam (13188 posts) -

@artisanbreads: honestly i didn't think gaming docs were even a legit thing until danny started noclip. i can only think of king of kong off the top of my head otherwise. not really sure we're at a place where there are really niche gaming docs yet.

#33 Edited by monetarydread (2889 posts) -

Noooooooo...... if more ex-gb staff are successful at going off on their own we are going to see more stafff leaving.

#34 Posted by WesternWizard (604 posts) -

@monetarydread: Jason having a kid so wanting stability I don't see him leaving, Jeff already "left" and that is Giant Bomb, Vinny same, Alex same, Brad same and he seems WAY too comfortable, and I would be very surprised if Dan left.

#35 Edited by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

@artisanbreads: honestly i didn't think gaming docs were even a legit thing until danny started noclip. i can only think of king of kong off the top of my head otherwise. not really sure we're at a place where there are really niche gaming docs yet.

Yeah you're right that it's not developed. There was Indie Game the Movie, Outlands is still supposed to come out at some point. I saw some stuff Danny did at Gamespot that was about lifestyle type topics and I just don't have interest in that topic for the most part.

I guess to me I would just say paying for something like this to be made peace meal is not something I have any interest in. I might check out a final product if its recommended. Drew did some good edited/feature style stuff at GB before (Vinny as well) but the site went totally away from that.

#36 Posted by Cerberus3Dog (1027 posts) -

Here I am watching Drew's North Korea trip for like the fifth time now.

#37 Posted by Picky_Bugger (241 posts) -

It's such an optimistic idea. looking forward to his output.

#38 Posted by OurSin_360 (6177 posts) -

Love the logo, not 100% on the name yet but i was the same about giant bomb lol. This seems cool and exactly what i would expect/want from drew. Nice to see passion projects getting started with these new crowd funding services. Will look forward to seeing what this turns into.

#39 Edited by FlashFlood_29 (4435 posts) -

"The secret sauce."

Backed!

Also:

Can you do do this?

I've shot videos... (including North Korea).

Yeah, I think he can do it.

I'm comfortable backing this before his first project because I can justify it as a tip (if you will) for all of the great content he's been involved in Giant Bomb. Can't wait to see what you got in store for us, @drewbert!

#40 Posted by Brake (1294 posts) -
Loading Video...

Yes, I will watch all of these. Good luck, Drew!

#41 Posted by Sessh (3396 posts) -

Backed him for a 5er just like Danny.

The project definitely looks interesting and fits Drew perfectly.

#43 Posted by glots (4336 posts) -

Noooooooo...... if more ex-gb staff are successful at going off on their own we are going to see more stafff leaving.

Get ready to pledge for Breaking Brad Busting Brad (gotta avoid trademarks) later this year, as Brad finally leaves the site.

Maybe Woodworking With Vinny as well?

#44 Edited by larmer (1101 posts) -

@artisanbreads: I think gaming docs the way Danny is doing it is actually really cool and I might even say important. It's this "lifestyle" stuff as you called it that sounds really boring to me. Also that name is incredibly generic imo.

#45 Posted by Zelnox (513 posts) -

Insta-patron

#46 Posted by dafdiego777 (300 posts) -

@glots: I think we just found a GOTY video theme. GB gets shut down and they all have to do their own Patreons.

#47 Edited by TheHT (15860 posts) -

Awesome.

#48 Posted by monetarydread (2889 posts) -

@westernwizard: noclip is bringing in $22,000 a month off of Patreon. At a certain point you have to wonder if making shit money is worth it? Inny has already talked about how joining GB meant he Is making half the pay he would normally receive, then you see all your friends pulling in moremoney in 1 month than you make in 4 or 5 months? Its a risk, but at what point does the juice become worth the squeeze? I mean, how expensive are these videos? Cuz outside of $7000 (a7rs2, 16-70 cine lens, zoom recorder, mic, PC, adobe cc subscrition, and lots of hard drive) sinitial purchase of gear, it looks like its a plane ticket or two and your time.

#49 Posted by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

As a Dutch guy it is super weird to see the praise for NoClip and Cloth Map. A national game site here called GameKings have been doing stuff like that for like 15 years now and a whole lot more frequently as well.

I am still interested in what Drew is doing though. The more the merrier.

#50 Posted by ehbunner (215 posts) -

I'm so excited for this, I wish I was in a position to help fund but can't wait to check it out(even if I feel a little skeezy not being able to support someone I want to succeed)