E3 2023 Is Cancelled; ESA & ReedPOP Have Yet To Confirm Plans/Hopes For E3 2024

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1 ZombiePie  Staff

The event itself seemed essentially dead in the water when Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony all pulled out or confirmed they would not be attending E3 2023. However, the final nail in the coffin seemed to be Sega, Tencent, and Bandai Namco all announcing in March 28th, 2023 that they were withdrawing from E3 2023.

When E3 2022 was cancelled, the Entertainment Software Association (i.e, ESA), the organizer of the convention, were pretty immediate in confirming that they were committed to rebooting and hosting the event in 2023. This time, however, many have noted that the ESA and its partner, Reed Pop, have made no comments pertaining to any guarantees of an E3 2024. So, this might be the end.

It's certainly a turn of events considering less than one year ago ReedPop, the planners for PAX, New York Comic Con, and the Star Wars Celebration were the new hosts and organizer. However, reports are emerging that former participants want follower exhibition fees and the adoption of a hybrid model rather than all in-person, and the ESA and ReedPop wanted things the "old way." Also, publishers hosting their own streams and exhibitions have proven successful enough in the past in terms of drawing up excitement for upcoming titles and new industry partnerships. Though E3 2023 might be dead, the following events are still on:

1. Summer Game Fest
  2. Xbox Games Showcase
  3. Something From Ubisoft
ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ThePanzini

God of War Ragnarok is the fastest selling first-party game in PlayStation history from a couple of trailers prior to release, I don't see why any of the publishers or platform holders need an in person event when better options already exist.

E3 should have transisioned into Summer Games Feast and been a place for smaller games to put on a show but that ship has sailed.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By brian_

I'm sure they'll try to do something for next year. I think there's probably money to be made in at least one more E3 that they can bill as "The return of the largest in-person video game convention". It might suck so bad that it finally does kill E3, but I don't think E3 goes away without putting together at least one more show.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By AV_Gamer

Its a shame. A long and mostly fun tradition in gaming is now officially dead, and this time it's not E3's fault. They tried to make a comeback and start over big, but the video game industry itself killed it. Starting with the console makers, and then the gaming developers. They made it clear they no longer need or want another E3. And why should they. Thanks to social media, they can create their own events where they fully control the message and that's what they've been doing for some time now. They aren't going back to holding convention events where things can go wrong and the gaming press jumps all over it.

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A true shame. I fully expect Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft to put in noticeably less effort with their "events" now. Direct competition used to be at its peak during the height of E3. Now it really seems like no one cares in terms of the bigwigs. Regarding Microsoft specifically, I have zero expectations that they'll really turn heads. I don't really see Nintendo doing that, either, since the new Zelda hits in May. Sony? They've been content to do whatever they want, so it's hard to say.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By GTxForza

Oh well, all we can do is wait for each video game publisher (regardless of the party) to showcase their respective future games later this year online.

For 2024, I'll wait to see what will happen to the video game industry.

Edit: I'm still curious about what Forza Motorsport 2023's handling model is going to be like plus it needs a proper penalty system to punish the rammers, wall riders and track cutters.

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really see things going in a mediocre direction now. Sure, publishers will try to push their wares hard, but not nearly as hard as the big three when it came to E3 in years past.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's still a spot on the PAX compass. Pax North. Bring it to erm ... Canada?

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really see things going in a mediocre direction now. Sure, publishers will try to push their wares hard, but not nearly as hard as the big three when it came to E3 in years past.

E3 was never a good place to show/see games it was an entertaining pissing contest but more often than not smaller titles got vasty overshadowed by the big AAA games. It also had a tendacy to produce vapourware, E3 created pressure on needing something to show every year.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was also an occasional board meeting. For E3 to exist, it needs to find a lane. It's old lane is now Keighley's spot and the big players increasingly call their own shots.

Given Reedpop's wheelhouse, you could transition into a celebration of games in a different manner. Replace the conferences with panels but maybe with better production values and scoops than a traditional Pax. For example, cast a wide net and get as many people on to talk about Duke Nukem Forever's production, talk about life at Valve, maybe let some Konami refugees blink rapidly on camera.

It might not vary much from a traditional convention but, and I consider this a key thing, you have a bigger hall to sell tickets for and you could theoretically run a lot more panel slots if you have the centre for several days.

The downside to this is getting the backing together to put something like that on. I don't know the economics of running an E3 but I'd imagine the ESA and the industry at large kept E3 going because they needed each other. Without one, the other perishes. ESA could host it because console manufacturers and publishers would pay to secure their spot. What can you do in that money's absence? How cheap can you run an alternative? Keighley's thing doesn't need booth space. It's a trailer show.

I guess the panel idea doesn't require a physical space but maybe that's the thing ESA's clinging to?

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I'm actually happy about this. It means that we will never again have to listen to a pre-E3 or a post-E3 podcast in which games media people ask the question, "Is E3 even relevant anymore?"

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That just makes more time for, "Are written reviews even relevant anymore!?"