E3 Monday: What We Didn't See

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
Today's E3 press conferences from Microsoft, EA, and Ubisoft yielded plenty of interesting points, to be sure, but there were also things at each of them that I expected to hear--and didn't.

Microsoft

Guess that counts for something...
Metal Gear Solid 4 Port:
As predicted, the Metal Gear franchise came to the Xbox 360--in the form of MGS: Rising, starring everyone's favorite cyborg ninja Raiden. But where was the straight port of MGS4 everyone assumed was waiting in the wings? It seemed like a no-brainer cash-in for Konami. Perhaps there's news yet to come at E3 on this one.

2K Boston's Next: We were fairly sure we'd see some sign of the next game from Irrational--excuse me, 2K Boston--at E3, and we figured Microsoft's press conference made the most sense as the place to debut it. But if Ken Levine is planning to present at E3 this year, he didn't do it at the Xbox briefing.

EA

EA's Partners: EA's outreach-focused Partners program has business deals with a stunning array of influential independent developers--Valve, id Software, Epic Games, and Grasshopper Manufacture--and we heard nothing from any of them today. Where were further updates on Left 4 Dead 2, Rage, and the new and as-yet untitled games from People Can Fly and Suda 51? BioWare ruled the EA press conference today, but I expected more from some of these other heavyweights.

Ubisoft

Wither Ezio...?
Wither Ezio...?
Beyond Good & Evil 2:
This out-of-left-field sequel could have appeared today, after a supposed proof-of-concept video hit the 'net a few weeks ago. But no sign of the game showed itself. Ubisoft has never really taken ownership of this next game from Michel Ancel and crew, so it's not too surprising we didn't see it.

Assassin's Creed 2: After waiting through a two-hour press conference, including in-depth presentations on Ubi's new fitness games and its tween lineup for DS and Wii (shudder), we were finally graced with... a CG-only trailer that looked cool but gave no hint at all as to the gameplay of this hotly anticipated sequel from Ubi Montreal. Let's hope we see more of the game on the E3 show floor. We'll be speaking with director Patrice Desilets later in the week, so you can at least look forward to that.

Anything you hoped to see come out of today that didn't materialize?
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
Today's E3 press conferences from Microsoft, EA, and Ubisoft yielded plenty of interesting points, to be sure, but there were also things at each of them that I expected to hear--and didn't.

Microsoft

Metal Gear Solid 4 Port:
As predicted, the Metal Gear franchise came to the Xbox 360--in the form of MGS: Rising, starring everyone's favorite cyborg ninja Raiden. But where was the straight port of MGS4 everyone assumed was waiting in the wings? It seemed like a no-brainer cash-in for Konami. Perhaps there's news yet to come at E3 on this one.

2K Boston's Next: We were fairly sure we'd see some sign of the next game from Irrational--excuse me, 2K Boston--at E3, and we figured Microsoft's press conference made the most sense as the place to debut it. But if Ken Levine is planning to present at E3 this year, he didn't do it at the Xbox briefing.

EA

EA's Partners: EA's outreach-focused Partners program has business deals with a stunning array of influential independent developers--Valve, id Software, Epic Games, and Grasshopper Manufacture--and we heard nothing from any of them today. Where were further updates on Left 4 Dead 2, Rage, and the new and as-yet untitled games from People Can Fly and Suda 51? BioWare ruled the EA press conference today, but I expected more from some of these other heavyweights.

Ubisoft

Wither Ezio...?
Wither Ezio...?
Beyond Good & Evil 2:
This out-of-left-field sequel could have appeared today, after a supposed proof-of-concept video hit the 'net a few weeks ago. But no sign of the game showed itself. Ubisoft has never really taken ownership of this next game from Michel Ancel and crew, so it's not too surprising we didn't see it.

Assassin's Creed 2: After waiting through a two-hour press conference, including in-depth presentations on Ubi's new fitness games and its tween lineup for DS and Wii (shudder), we were finally graced with... a CG-only trailer that looked cool but gave no hint at all as to the gameplay of this hotly anticipated sequel from Ubi Montreal. Let's hope we see more of the game on the E3 show floor. We'll be speaking with director Patrice Desilets later in the week, so you can at least look forward to that.

Anything you hoped to see come out of today that didn't materialize?
roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By roborobb

What happened to the new GTA : Ballad of Gay Tony episode? Microsoft completely forgot about it.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By hakunin
"It seemed like a no-brainer cash-in for Konami. Perhaps there's news yet to come at E3 on this one."

Heh. No

If MGS4 was coming to the 360 you bet your ass it would have been announced at the MS conference.
melkor456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By melkor456

conker

DannyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DannyJ

I bet M$ is just going to go after Metal Gear Rising for now to see how well it will sell on the 360. Im guessing if they see favorable sales, they'll go after MGS4. I mean they did just start talking with Hideo after all.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By StarFoxA

Does Konami have a press conference?

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Feanor

Maybe it will take another year for MGS4 to come to the 360.  Or maybe they are going to wait and see what the sales for MGS:R are going to look like.

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By goodwood

what about Rare?

Avatar image for chickendoughnut
chickendoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chickendoughnut

my god Ubi's press conference was boring

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

No love for Gay Tony and Rare...I have a bad feeling about this.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator
a giantbomb podcast about the days proceedings *tear*
*edit* its downloading...im an ass....

MGS4 on 360 would have been nice
And I thought more from the motion capture, if its supposed to "beat the wii" i expected a release date, or at least Q2 of 2010
all i got was...maybe...soon...eventually...you will haz camera....maybe...
Natural20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Natural20

Where was Rare!?

Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fox

no Valve at EAs show was a bummer. I had hoped to see at least a hint of Ep3 or something like that... :(

Th3dz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Th3dz

AND the zune HD...

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#15  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Like a couple of the above users, I was a bit disappointed to not see a Rare title.  Other than that, it was a pretty solid day of interesting stuff.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
@KaosAngel said:
"No love for Gay Tony and Rare...I have a bad feeling about this."

On inside xbox they were doing an interview with that guy who hosted the conference.  He said they couldn't announce everything do to time restraints but there will be more and then sound about someone liveblog staging?  I dunno.  Go look for the video yourslef.
They were making it sound like they're not done with announcements yet....which is something that I sort of doubt even though I do know they have more up their sleeves.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Isn't the Battlefield franchise a part of EA? I was surprised not to hear more of Bad Company 2.

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IceColdGamer
@TheJollyRajah said:
" Isn't the Battlefield franchise a part of EA? I was surprised not to hear more of Bad Company 2. "
True that.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Xeiphyer

I was sad to not see someone either A: Shout out at that retard guy that talked about Avatar for an hour at the ubi conference to shut the hell up or the like. or B: See him get shot and killed, either acted or real.

Also, bad company 2 =/ Must see!

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By TheHT

Hoped to see some more Mass Effect 2 stuff. Ah well, the Normandy burning was pretty exciting.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Red

EA needed more Bad Company, but I think the biggest no-show was the PC. Did Microsoft say "PC" even once in their conference?

pedantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By pedantics
@Xeiphyer said:
"that retard guy that talked about Avatar for an hour at the ubi conference "
that was james cameron, director of the terminator and aliens

you, good sir, have a cunt for a mouth
Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Reuben

Still disappointed at no Dead Rising 2 and I was oh so hoping that the Left 4 Dead  2 trailer was indeed it. Wasn't expecting L4D2 at all.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Karmum
@StarFoxA said:
" Does Konami have a press conference? "
Yeah, pretty sure they are announcing the new Metal Gear PSP game there, perhaps more MGR info will be released, too.
DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By DrRandle

I was hoping for something, you know, good? Not just the same trailers of games I already was only luke-warm about (and Mass Effect.) Just really wasn't anything inspiring for me at any of these three conferences. Let's hope Tuesday's fair better.

FordFairlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FordFairlane

So, Guns of the Patriots remains the White Whale for 360 users.  I'd say there's one year left for this to make it to the 360.

• MGS4 just went Greatest Hits, which is really the last stage of a popular title's lifecycle.  After the sales bump from this, the game is essentially retired and any revenue it brings in is gravy.
  • If Konami wants to port MGS4 next year, they can really say that they honored their exclusivity agreement with Sony by allowing them to realize almost all possible revenue from this title before porting it.
  • If Kojima announces MGS5 (if Rising is not an acutal sequel, and is just a spinoff), Sony will be pushing it full-bore next year and MGS4 will be in their rearview-mirror.  At that point a Guns of the Patriots port to the 360 could almost be seen as marketing for the new PS3-exclusive MGS5, (if it exits, of course...)

But if there is no Guns of the Patriots for 360 at E3 2010, pound the last nail in that coffin, because it just not going to happen, ever.
Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Reuben
@FordFairlane said:
" So, Guns of the Patriots remains the White Whale for 360 users.  I'd say there's one year left for this to make it to the 360.
  • MGS4 just went Greatest Hits, which is really the last stage of a popular title's lifecycle.  After the sales bump from this, the game is essentially retired and any revenue it brings in is gravy.
  • If Konami wants to port MGS4 next year, they can really say that they honored their exclusivity agreement with Sony by allowing them to realize almost all possible revenue from this title before porting it.
  • If Kojima announces MGS5 (if Rising is not an acutal sequel, and is just a spinoff), Sony will be pushing it full-bore next year and MGS4 will be in their rearview-mirror.  At that point a Guns of the Patriots port to the 360 could almost be seen as marketing for the new PS3-exclusive MGS5, (if it exits, of course...)

But if there is no Guns of the Patriots for 360 at E3 2010, pound the last nail in that coffin, because it just not going to happen, ever.
"
I don't see it happening, To me it makes sense to just start up a new story with the 360 included to get the titles from then on.
Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By Death_Burnout

J Allard should be on this list.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By giyanks22

I wanted to see some Bad Company 2 and some ME 2 gameplay.

Balaamsafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Balaamsafe

I hear murmering that AC2 is debuting at sony.  Also i would have liked RAGE from id.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#31  Edited By MeatSim

Wear was Bad Company 2? it was disappointing that it wasn't shown at all today.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By penguindust

In addition to the afore mentioned lack of Rare, Id and Beyond G&E 2 (so far), I was disappointed by what I now believe was Lionhead's big reveal.  The "boy in a box" demo was okay as a proof of concept for the Project Natal device, but I wanted a real game from them.  All this time, Peter (who I love to listen to) was telling us that the studio was working on something great.  If this non-game was it, then I am very disappointed.  I should probably get used to this when dealing with Peter Molyneux, but damn it, if he just doesn't make me believe his line of B.S. each and everytime. 

Also, still no sign of an MMO for the 360.  Looks like the Lord of the Rings Online rumors were false.

Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Puppy

Ken Levine already said that he wasn't going to be on board for BioShock 2; didn't he? And why would people be upset that Konami isn't just porting MGS4 in a cash-out attempt? They're actually developing a new game. I think that's even more impressive.

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought for sure that Portal 2 would officially be announced but instead we get Left 4 Dead 2? The lack of any info from Irrational is a lil disappointing but there's still time for that one.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mordukai

Maybe they are saving the MGS4 xbox 360 port announcement for the Tokyo Game Show.

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ht101

I was pleased with what Microsoft did but Gay Tony was a big no show.  I quit watching the Ubisoft presser because it was so freaking boring and I didn't care at all about James Cameron coming out to pimp his movie and the game for it.  I didn't see all of EAs either but what I saw was alright.  The ranking for me yesterday was Microsoft, EA, Microsoft,EA, EA, Sony, Nintendo and Ubisoft.

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By ErgoProxy77

EA also neglected Army of Two: The 40th Day.  It would have been nice to see a demo of that.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mordukai

I also think that the show so far was lacking is showing us new games, most games that were shown were already known. I was really hoping EA to fucos more on the new Ip's they crated last year and more on Rage and Portal 2. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought they would announce MGS4 on the 360, but I guess it's staying exclusive for now, atleast they got MGS:Rising.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kazona

To be honest, a lot of what was shown was great but I kind of expected to see more things we didn't know about already. There were a few, sure, but not nearly as many as I had hoped there'd be. And I really wish Bioware had shown some more on Dragon Age since it's coming out in a couple of months already. You'd figure they would be able to show off some actual gameplay by now. Oh well, E3 isn't over yet so who knows.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#41  Edited By JackiJinx

Hoping for a bit of Rare or some excitement about MI coming to XBLA. Actually, they didn't really mention anything about XBLA, unless FACEBOOK counts! Oh ho ho, Facebook is the new terrific. Right.

Facebook has one thing I will utilize for this, and that will be screenshot transferal. That is terrific for someone who doesn't have a caption card.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheKidNixon

I find the lack of information from Ubisoft on I Am Alive strange and a bit worrying. Also, surprised there wasn't a mention or trailer for Ballad of Gay Tony.

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#43  Edited By mathewballard

MGS4 for the 360 was the only thing that I thought for sure was going to happen but didn't. Mostly I was surprised by what I did see.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By pweidman

No Bad Co. 2 demo???  I kept waiting only to see a whole shitload of Bioware's stuff.  Good stuff but a bit of an overload.   Where's Dice's 15 minutes?

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am surprised I did not hear much of the Battlefield series, and I doubt that MGS4 will come to 360 now. It seems like it is getting later and later for an announcement now.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Media_Master

Curious to see Rising in action

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#47  Edited By natetodamax

I was disappointed that a lot of the games I was excited for weren't shown.