• 87 results
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I read EW for info on movies and TV, their video games section is normally only a page long, and it's not in every issue so I usually pay no attention to it.
MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By MetalBaofu
I don't care that they didn't like the game...everyone has different tastes.  But, to call it the worst game of the year is just idiotic.   That's taking some really horrible/broken games and saying they are better than Kirby.    I guess maybe they are meaning it is the worst out of what they played(because you know they didn't play EVERY game that came out), but it still makes them seem really stupid.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#53  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Publication without credentials to review games gives dumb opinion about game. I mean, I could really care less about the saccharine sweetness of Kirby, but I'm sure it's not the worst game of the year.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By bravetoaster

Entertainment Weekly is irrelevant.

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By The_Patriarch
@KaosAngel:  Have you finally, completely lost your marbles? You cannot in all seriousness mean the absolute garbage you are writing in this thread? Kirby is not a game because it's easy? What? So unless a game pistol whips you to death like Super Meat Boy, it can't be a game? As for the HD, that has nothing to do with this. The reviewer found the game to be too cute for his taste. And why the comparison to SC2, ME2 etc.? There's a difference between being the worst game of the year, and simply being below the best. Jeff Jensen is free to think it is the worst of 2010, but I doubt it's because of it not being in HD.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By KaosAngel
@The_Patriarch: ...your skills at sarcasm are brilliant.  You must be a charmer with the ladies.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#57  Edited By Tireyo

There are worse games than Kirby's Epic Yarn. Not really fair in that comment.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By MysteriousBob
@The_Patriarch said:

" @KaosAngel:  Have you finally, completely lost your marbles? You cannot in all seriousness mean the absolute garbage you are writing in this thread? Kirby is not a game because it's easy? What? So unless a game pistol whips you to death like Super Meat Boy, it can't be a game? As for the HD, that has nothing to do with this. The reviewer found the game to be too cute for his taste. And why the comparison to SC2, ME2 etc.? There's a difference between being the worst game of the year, and simply being below the best. Jeff Jensen is free to think it is the worst of 2010, but I doubt it's because of it not being in HD. "

Yeah, thats such an absurd thing to say! Its almost as if hes being sarcastic.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#59  Edited By citizenkane

Why do you care what he has ti say about video games anyway?

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By stinky

odd. 

i enjoyed watching the game and as i am older i am not going buy it, but if it was around i would gladly run through it. 

i've played video games with young kids before and it can get frustrating. 
some games need to be about exploration as well as cause and effect, not lives and re-starting in the same spot over and over.  

from what i saw, and read, Kirby seemed to be a step above a lego game.

Redfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By Redfield

If he thinks Kirby is a bad game it just shows that he was lucky enough not to play either Iron Man 2 or Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. Both of which I was forced to play...
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By JJOR64

Deadly Premonition is better then Kirby's Epic Yarn.  You heard it here first.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Example1013
@KaosAngel said:
" @Fallen189 said:
"  Stop thinking your life is a sitcom. "
 I think GT5 is this year's best driving sim... "
Just to comment on this, did any other driving sims even come out this year?
Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Fudgeblood
@mattjam3000 said:
" So i checked metacritic and the game has 89/100 in critic reviews. How can any responsible reviewer be so far against EVERYONE else in this case "
Derr, maybe because responsible reviewers are meant to review games and share their opinion on it rather than just giving it the same score everyone else does? I'm not saying Kirby's Epic Yarn was a good or bad game (I've never played it), but c'mon, just because everyone else is giving a game a good score doesn't mean that you should too.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#65  Edited By ProfessorEss

Devil's Advocate if you will...

I think someone could just as easily construct an argument against Giant Bomb giving a five hour platformer with no additional modes and a challenge level of zero a perfect score because of nostalgia wrapped in amazing graphics.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By penguindust

I think it's a sad review for a reasonable game that has a unique look and was brave enough to try something different with a known franchise.  It may not be a Kirby game in the "classic" sense, but not every release has to be.  What's most upsetting about this EW judgment is while you and I might not use Entertainment Weekly as a source for game reviews there are lots of people who will because they don't follow the industry closely or at all.  The folks who shop for their friends and family members who play games or the ones that play very casually.  A negative comment could hurt sales this holiday and that might dissuade publishers from being more innovative with even their big franchises. 

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By scarace360

Hold on playboy does videogame reviews?

D0tti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By D0tti
@scarace360:  Last time I checked they also made a game, if i'm not mistaken..
Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Julmust
@KaosAngel:

Can't see how you can like GT5 when graphics are such a big deal for you.

And the EW-guy is equally retarded.

mattjam3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By mattjam3000
damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#71  Edited By damnboyadvance

Since when did anybody care about what Entertainment Weekly said?

MrMcgillicutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By MrMcgillicutty

Mario Lopez can suck a fat one.

lindseybee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By lindseybee

That's pushing it a little, the game was based around the design for kids anyway. Personally I think the fact that they were able to create a world of fabric and make the player feel like they can touch said fabric is an achievement  all on it's own.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#74  Edited By AgentJ

Epic Yarn isn't even the worst game on its console, not by a long shot. With all of the crap that comes out of the Wii every week, you'd think people would recognize the 32 karat diamonds that come out of (sic) it every once in a while. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#75  Edited By AgentJ
@KaosAngel said:
" @The_Patriarch: ...your skills at sarcasm are brilliant.  You must be a charmer with the ladies. "
I don't imagine he's used to meeting ladies through text, over the internet too often. Perhaps you could enlighten all of us on that subject. 
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#76  Edited By monkeyking1969

I think it funny how people think EW and their critic can't not like a game.    Art and game play are subjective.  To be honest I do not find the hand stitched yarn-look very engaging...just as I find most 'home-spun'  primitive folk art  the WORST sort of art ever made.  

Just not a fan of .... 

No Caption Provided

or  this.... 

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattjam3000 said:

" So i checked metacritic and the game has 89/100 in critic reviews. How can any responsible reviewer be so far against EVERYONE else in this case "

I really don't care if its the consensus because for example Avatar has a great critical and fan reception for the most part and I didn't think it was that great, and that's not just me trying to be "cool". 

Kirby however... it's easy for a reason and that's part of the reason I love it.  

(A) It's easy enough so I can play it with my little sister who is usually AFRAID to play co-op games, and not because I'm an asshole about her not being as good as me but because she gets really anxious and worried about dying all the time and she doesn't want to fail at a game.  Kirby does away with that and that's brilliant and perfect for a game for kids to play and kids and adults to play  

(B) There are still skill elements that separate players in Kirby, just death isn't really an element there.  That's what I liked about it, my sister mostly just moved through the level and I always had the little extra bits to grab and the aim of not losing them as I moved through the level.  That's smart design.

(C) the graphics and style are just charming.  If you don't like them that's fine but even as someone who isn't a "cutesy" guy at all, I don't get how you could play this and not be charmed unless you were trying not to be charmed.

Anyways, maybe people don't like it like I didn't like Avatar, that's fine.  But to call it the worst game of the year is flat out stupid.  Just like I wouldn't call Avatar the worst movie of last year by any means.

@MonkeyKing1969 said:
"  I think it funny how people think EW and their critic can't not like a game.    Art and game play are subjective.  To be honest I do not find the hand stitched yarn-look very engaging...just as I find most 'home-spun'  primitive folk art  the WORST sort of art ever made.  
"

Like I say in my post there is big difference between not liking it and saying it's the worst game of the year.  That's going way too far when there are broken and terrible games released every year.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@laserbolts said:
" I think whenever we disagree with a review we should make a thread about it.   "
You came to the right place then! I don't know why, but far too many people get their panties up in a bunch about review scores around here, so you just learn to roll with it eventually.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By iam3green

entertainment weekly. yeah, those people don't know what they are talking about with video games. it would be like having a person write a review for something they have no idea what is going on.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Jeust

One man's crap is another one's gold. ^^

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#81  Edited By Meowayne

ITT: People who have not played Kirby's Epic Yarn.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By BBQBram

That's just a personal distaste for the art style disguised as genuine criticism. Bleh.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By bybeach

well, it is heavily  cute, especially if it's either play this game, or plunge the blocked toilet. But that is balanced by the awesome visual and art. And then I may realize 2 things, 1) that the game may not appeal to me but still be legit, and 2) whoever did the graphic work for this has seen god, maybe more than once and maybe more than one god. Purty, purty game. Nice concept of patterns and such, almost mathematical. I would like to see another, say a girlfriend or wife or child enjoy this game, and I would enjoy watching. 

Playing it,well.........

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#84  Edited By SubwayD

I'll no doubt get called a dick head for this, but reading the defence the guy wrote pretty much convinced me that I'd most probably not like the game.

"Still, do I seriously think Kirby is the worst game of the year … or do I just strongly dislike it, think its wildly overrated, had some major aesthetic and philosophical objections to it, and hoped to use my “Worst” entry to provoke debate about cutesyness? I’d say more of the latter. So yes, I have a small pang of regret for calling Kirby’s Epic Yarn “the worst game of the year,” but only a small pang, especially since it’s barely a game. But if you asked me for my top-10 list of interactive storybooks for children, it would be pretty close to No. 1. After all: It is really, really cute." 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#85  Edited By Hailinel
@SubwayD said:
" I'll no doubt get called a dick head for this, but reading the defence the guy wrote pretty much convinced me that I'd most probably not like the game.

"Still, do I seriously think Kirby is the worst game of the year … or do I just strongly dislike it, think its wildly overrated, had some major aesthetic and philosophical objections to it, and hoped to use my “Worst” entry to provoke debate about cutesyness? I’d say more of the latter. So yes, I have a small pang of regret for calling Kirby’s Epic Yarn “the worst game of the year,” but only a small pang, especially since it’s barely a game. But if you asked me for my top-10 list of interactive storybooks for children, it would be pretty close to No. 1. After all: It is really, really cute."  "
That's like saying that The Dark Knight is a shit film but an okay comic book movie.
C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#86  Edited By C0V3RT

I really don't care that he said Epic Yarn was the worst game of the year. Maybe to him, it was. But his justification as to why was weak is what opened himself up to criticism.

ejm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ejm
@C0V3RT: Pretty much.  

Calling something the worst is fine as long as you're justified to say why you think it's the worst. If it's something like 'I don't like the characters' or 'I don't like the graphics', that's fine but it's not the reason why you slap 'Worst' on it if it's got more going for it then a glitchy as hell indie game or something like that. 

It's 2010. Almost 2011. Just saying something with no real backup to it can't and shouldn't be accepted.