Ever Wrecked Peripherals in Anger?

• 86 results
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll Ever Wrecked Peripherals in Anger? (214 votes)

No. 58%
Yes. Keyboard. 7%
Yes. Gamepad. 27%
Yes. Mouse. 6%
Yes. Joystick. 2%
Yes. Headphones/Headset. 8%
Yes. Other. 8%

I've done violence to peripherals. Squeezing. Twisting. Button mashing. Angrily dropping. The works. Outside of the occassional 3$ headset breaking, which I've bought a bag of, after a 100$ headset died on me (I didn't do it any harm whatsoever), I've never actually lost my restraint to the point of downright wrecking a peripheral.

Well, today I lost it. I picked up my keyboard with the left, and punched it once semi-fiercly with the right. Keys flying everywhere. The outer shell coming apart. Dust and other ugliness accummulated over the last decade spilling all over my desk. Even after some reconstructive surgery, it didn't come to life anymore. Apparently, the last keystrokes it registered - before it croaked and fell forever dormant under my foolish angry blow - opened the game's console, and entered the letters AZ - as in donkey's ass.

I'm not going to lie, it felt almost as good, as it was dumb. Nonetheless, a sad story, and I'd appreciate if you'd make me feel better about this misstep, by sharing your crimes against better judgment and character - what hapless innocent peripheral did fall victim to thine game-induced fury?

P.S. It's the first time in years I've really looked at my keyboard in the sober light of day, when I threw it out, and damn if it wasn't the vilest thing I've ever seen. Years of minor spills and dust crusted the innards of it to the point of it being more organic matter than machine. Ugh.

• 
Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I sort of did to a graphing calculator (carelessly tossed it and internally broke off a capacitor) - which technically could be used as a gaming device :D. Although, it was somewhat because the buttons had already started to fail on it shortly out of the warranty period (thanks HP). Luckily the Ti replacement has lasted in the decade or so since then, so I guess it worked out..... even if the RPN setup on HP had been good.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By vortextk

Yes. A lot. I hate it and it sucks but I've been getting mostly better at a lot of this stupid stuff. I don't fight or yell at people or hit living things so I resort to stuff I guess. I did learn how to properly patch drywall this year though.

SkankinPacman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't wrecked anything but I have had times where I've thrown my headset or slammed my mouse out of anger. Mostly towards SC2 or DOTA2 when something happens that causes me to lose or die because a team mate didn't fulfill their part. It happens to everyone I think. Sometimes you just gotta let it out.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I broke my PS3 controller recently (even made a thread about it).

I like to take my anger out on things, but surprisingly enough it's resulted in little damage to any of my gaming stuff.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

No, because that would require me to be emotive.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

A controller once. Everyone says the dualshock 3 looks like a toy that will break if you look at it funny but it's surprisingly sturdy. I kept it even though it was broken because if i ever get angry again i can break it a bit more.

I smashed a keyboard once but not because of a game. It was a keyboard of the 4$ variety though.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I've never let any game get me that angry. Far too many non-game related things are out to ruin my day, to the point that even crazy-frustrating stuff like Super Meat Boy wind up as a calming experience.

It's great; I can crank the difficulty up on games as high as it'll go and wail away at it. I never get bothered even if progress is almost nonexistent, simply because the context of "it's just a game" keeps me in the proper frame of mind.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HerbieBug

Nah. All my breakage of electronic devices has been due to clumsiness or inattention. Once upon a time I managed to fumble an extra large plastic tumbler of water (1 litre capacity) on my desk, drowning both monitor and keyboard. Keyboard survived, monitor did not. D:

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I broke my first PS1 because Crash Bash wouldn't accept the cheat code to let me play a Spyro 3 demo.

I then spent several weeks grounded from video games. My dad repaired the PS1 somehow, but it later broke again and I took out the SNES for a few years.

I have never broken a controller in anger, though.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Not something I ever do myself but I know my friend has a tendency to throw his controller across the room when he gets pissed off with a game.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By fattony12000

Nope.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Ravenlight

Not in anger. One time I stepped on a string of Christmas lights and one of them pierced the skin of my foot up[ to the bulb. Unrelated to peripherals but I wanted to share that anecdote.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow? I never thought that there would be so many people that have broken peripherals in anger.

How do you people get so angry when you are playing a video game? And why would you want to break anything you have because of it? Having to spend $60+ just because you failed and have to wait a few seconds to respawn sounds silly to me.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I snapped my ps2 controller in half playing Shadow of the Colossus.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

1. I've yelled at the TV while playing Too Human. That game made me pretty angry.
2. In the old Halo 2 days, sometimes I'd develop a running monologue while playing multiplayer. Eventually I'd have to unplug for irritating everyone & it was probably done out of anger.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

No, but I have broken controllers permanently by opening them up and trying to fix the issue myself, which is even worse!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#17 gamer_152  Moderator

No, I'm not really a "Throw the controller across the room in a fit of rage" kind of guy.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thatdutchguy

maybe ?

embryonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By embryonic

Not personally, but I have witnessed a friend punch a hole in his wall.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I don't break my property.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

I punched a webcam after failing a challenge thingy in Kameo (ya... dumb), a plastic guitar after failing through fire and flames on expert right before the end, an original Game Boy after being awful at Tetris back in the day (my mother destroyed me), and at least one or two controllers. I don't really get angry at games, but every time it happens I just have to break something.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No because nothing angers me more than breaking something that costs money

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I've ever completely broke a controller but I have caused smaller problems with it.

Pikawai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pikawai

No, I mostly rage quit! I'll get pissed off, curse and start ranting! But yeah, I value my equipments they don't come for cheap.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zirilius

Broke 3 headsets because of WoW Open PvP/Arena.

Ripped the cord out of a N64 controller.

Shattered a PS2 controller against an entertainment center.

Broke mice because of Battlefield 2 (one legitimately wore out, the other got tossed out of a window onto a street).

Yes it was cathartic and yes I regretted it every time but better a 30-50 dollar piece of equipment get destroyed versus a 300 dollar home repair bill. Also I had some pretty severe anger issues after I left the service which is where some of this arose from.

However I haven't done anything close to this in years and also haven't done anything close to this since I stopped playing games online.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By toowalrus

Never. I suppose the closest I've come is dropping the controller and walking away. I don't like to break my shit.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but I'll admit I have slapped my keyboards a couple of times and controllers have gone sailing through the air recently.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Clonedzero

no, im not a crazy person.

the worst ive ever done is frustratingly slam my mouse down, but not enough to damage it.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why get mad at a game? It's not the game's fault that you suck.

Even if you do get mad, why break your own stuff? That's your stuff! That's like keying your own car because you're a bad driver. It makes no sense.

espm400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By espm400

Although I've been know to do the old exasperated controller lob (not damaging as long as you're on carpet), I've done one epic controller throw. I don't remember what game it was, just that I was drunk and couldn't get past a certain part. It wasn't so much the throw itself that caused the damage, it was the chain reaction that resulted from me picking it up afterwards. Somehow the cable got hooked on one of my guitar stands and as I lifted the controller up, that guitar bumped my electric that was hanging on the wall, which then fell onto my amp, which promptly tipped over onto my foot. End result: severed controller cable, crack in the neck of an $800 guitar, a crushed headset, and a broken foot. Needless to say, I haven't thrown one since...

EDIT: All of my buddies and myself all had Xbox 360s, and all of us had hardware issues after warranty expiration (my first one had a RRoD under warranty, then an optical drive failure. My second was just an optical drive). Since we all worked together, and we had all lost money to the hardware, when my second one died I decided to bring it to work and fit it up for a suitable and satisfying demise; a 10,000 psi hydraulic press we had in the back of the shop... Revenge is a dish best served cold, but so is ice cream, and they're both sweet.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kidman

I ripped out a CDRom drive and threw it across the room cause it wouldn't read a THPS3 disc. It was on its last legs anyway, so I kinda knew what I was doing. I do throw a controller sometimes, but always on a bed so it's ok.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By Humanity

I value money too much to break peripherals.

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes to keyboard. Not my newest one since it's actually a good one but my old keyboards would see buttons flying and the stands never lasted very long.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vextroid

I have damaged, but never broken.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Keyboards (multiple), a 360 gamepad (ugh, do I regret that... the right trigger and the X button are functional but noticeably broken - though I think I can fix it if I take it apart), and oh-so-many headphones (mostly earbuds that became hopelessly entangled or shorted in one ear by a fault of design, but man do I go brutal on them, slicing them into infinite pieces with a pair of scissors). I think 80% of all keyboard deaths were caused by Counter-Strike, and luckily I've grown out of that phase.

I cherish my current keyboard because it's a near flawless design and is discontinued, so I will never be able to buy a replacement. Unfortunately, the elevation stand is broken off on the left side and the thing is a nasty mess from years of use despite having washed it multiple times in the dishwasher.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I've bitten my controller or slammed my mouse against the desk. Never enough to do any serious damage.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jozzy

Holy shit, multiple choice polls?! SWEET!

The possibilities....

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smashed my mouse because the batteries died and I was in the middle of pot that I'd already put 50bb in.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#39 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Only once when I was a child did I let my anger and frustration get the better of me and destroyed an NES controller.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, pulled the thumb sticks right out of dual shock 3 while play uncharted 3.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By donkeycow

Never anything game related. I've chucked phones before, but the two times i have they came back operational... just a little worse for wear.

Dchao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dchao

Only noticeable event was during the last boss on Shadow of the Colossus, I threw a ps2 controller which broke.

It was the last boss of SotC though, only thing that's ever stopped me from playing it again.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck yeah. I once slammed an xbox 360 controller so hard against the floor, one of the little motors actually flew out and got stuck in the (wooden) ceiling.

Geometry Wars will do that to you!

No shame. No regrets.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. I can't even remember the game but I remember just twisting the shit out of my DS3 until I heard cracking. The D-pad when shallow and yeah, it felt damn good at the time.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've broken a mouse by repeatedly slamming it onto my desk in anger, but that was over a long period of time. I didn't break it in one go.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MethodMan008

Just once a year or so ago.. Was pretty blazed and was playing Marvel online and was playing against the most brain dead Hulk and I spiked my controller into my blanket.. Thinking that my blanket would break the fall of the controller, but it was just a sheet on top of a hardwood floor, so it broke into many pieces.

60 dollars later for a 7 year old controller I said no more caring that much about online.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can tell you that 360 controllers are stronger than cheap coffee tables. I have a nice crater in mine from when Street Fighter 4 was released. Controller are so damn durable nowadays.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Patman99

Wow? I never thought that there would be so many people that have broken peripherals in anger.

How do you people get so angry when you are playing a video game? And why would you want to break anything you have because of it? Having to spend $60+ just because you failed and have to wait a few seconds to respawn sounds silly to me.

Yeah, this is exactly what I am thinking. People need to chill if they are breaking something because of losing at a video game. I mean, I get frustrated but I will never take that frustration out on something. That would be both expensive and wasteful.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark souls.