• 53 results
xxxxxxxrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xxxxxxxrick

It is a great game in its own right, but is it really a step forward? Let's see:

- basically the same engine as in Oblivion
- boring quests (go there, get that, kill that, repeat)
- boring main storyline.
- less side quests than Oblivion
- boring graphics (sure it's a wasteland, but should everything look brownish / grey?)
- not really a living, breathing world, NPC's just standing around (like in Morrowind and Oblivion)
- some lackluster animations of NPC's
- faces look the same
- targeting system: fun for a while but after 100th headshot it becomes boring..
- RPG elements become boring, like opening closets , desks, lockers all the time. The loot you find is usually not that interesting.
- burgs (desktop crashes, gliches .. come on Bethesda we had that in Oblivion)

Am i talking crap here?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Other people probably love it. I find it boring. I can't say it's overrated if a lot of other people really like it genuinely. At least not in this case.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

Nope, it's slightly better than Oblivion but still mostly trash. I bought it because I hated Elder Scrolls and wanted to give this a chance. Big disappointment. A lot of people still like it though, so I guess my opinion is minor.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Lunarbunny

If you liked TESIV:O you will probably like F3 and vice versa. People's enjoyment (or lack thereof) of these games seems to be pretty well established.

Qoheed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Qoheed

After all the hype, all the word of mouth, and all the reviews...

I honestly expected a lot more from it. I couldn't sit and play it for more than half an hour both times I rented it. And trust me --- I honestly TRIED to like it.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bulldog19892

I'd say it's about as good as Oblivion. It does some things better, and other things worse, but overall it's about the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Rick said:
"
It is a great game in its own right, but is it really a step forward? Let's see:

- boring main storyline.
- boring graphics (sure it's a wasteland, but should everything look brownish / grey?)
- not really a living, breathing world, NPC's just standing around (like in Morrowind and Oblivion)
- faces look the same
- targeting system: fun for a while but after 100th headshot it becomes boring..
- RPG elements become boring, like opening closets , desks, lockers all the time. The loot you find is usually not that interesting.

Am i talking crap here?"
I'm not really in the business of telling people their opinion is wrong, but I'm going to dissent with all of your points.  Again, you're not wrong at all, these are just disagreements. 

- As far as the engine goes, I'm fine with it.  It worked very well in 2006 and it still does a worthy job here.  I mean, it excels at displaying vast landscapes with impeccable draw distance, and that is precisely the use for it here.  Fallout deserved a modern update and I have can't blame Bethesda for using the tools they have to create another immersive world.

- Not all of the quests are so pedestrian.  Like Oblivion (moreso, I would venture), the player's experience is contingent upon the style of character they make.  You can negotiate a truce between warring factions, perpetuate and escalate a conflict, let the characters operate on their own devices, or, of course, introduce their nose to the Terrible Shotgun.  Each choice has a sort of Butterfly Effect on some other feature of the world, and while the sidequests might not all influence the main storyline directly, they contribute to the tone and the atmosphere of the world. 

- I'll be honest, I haven't finished the main quest yet.  I've dumped about forty hours into the game and I am only about halfway through.  That said, I think Fallout and Assassin's Creed have a commonality.  Rushing through the main quest is the most reliable way to stymie your own enjoyment of the game.  I've spent time bouncing betweeen the side and freeform quests and the main story, and I have been all but totally engaged for the entirety.  I think the turns the story has taken up until my present point have all been more creative than the narrative choices of Oblivion, and the writing is certainly sharper. 

- The fewer number of sidequests has never been an issue to me.  This time around, they're more involved and intricate than Oblivion's slew of quests, and the rewards are much higher, to say nothing of the satisfaction I get for completing them.  Ultimately, for me, the post-apocalyptic setting and the karma system are everything.  I love the setting, and so it's easy for me to stay involved, and the karma system gives the game a sense of consequentialist gravity that Oblivion lacked (you could be a stone cold killer and still get the same result in the main storyline).  I understand I could be a ruthless murderer and then give vagrants purified water to cheat the karma system, but I don't want to, because that breaks the role-playing illusion. 

- About the boring landscape.  Seriously?  This is a world after a nuclear war.  You're not going to see vibrancy on the surface.  It's a design choice.  And a smart, conscientious design choice.  Oasis is evidence of Bethesda's awareness of the drab landscape.  A post-apocalyptic desert is supposed to look like this.  There's a fleeting, symbolic beauty in the horror. 

- While I do agree that the illusion of a living, breathing world might not be achieved in totality, there are little touches here, like in GTA IV, that do wonders for the atmosphere.  The traveling barterer caravans, men coming out of buildings to take smoke breaks, rotating shifts of sentry guards at the major cities, things like that.  You have to understand, again, that this is a post-apocalyptic setting where the commune is tantamount to survival.  People aren't going to leave their haunts if it means getting mauled by a Yao Guai or a Deathclaw.  The only pervasive presence is the Enclave, and it is clear their interest does not concern the people.

- Some animations are stilted, not all.  It's a demon of the engine, I'd say.  There are hiccups when debris interrupts the path of a walking traveller, or when a Super Mutant Behemoth is caught in a doorway.  The third-person view still makes me cringe--the world looks like it's treadmilling beneath the player's feet, as opposed to the player running over land.  (That is the beauty of the first-person view, however.)  On the whole, however, I can ignore the hiccups.  No game renders NPC's perfectly. 

- The faces are a bit more detailed and a bit more varied this time 'round.  Also, voice acting?  No longer an issue, thank God.

- VATS is great.  You have to get creative.  When you're traversing the Wasteland, VATS is more than just a targeting system.  Whip out your Sniper Rifle and tap the bumper to get the jump on an enemy, even if they are well out of range.  Also, it's more strategic than a headshot mechanic.  Deathclaws aren't all that susceptible to headshots, and if you take too much time, they'll show you just how susceptible you are to a dagger-sized talon through the chest.  Use VATS to cripple the bastards then kill them FPS-style. 

- Again, the RPG elements are relative.  You could theoretically get through the game without touching any of the breaking-an-entry skills.  And with the loot, I think the mindset about your playthrough might just be biased by another game.  "Loot" is not an issue in the Wasteland.  Survival is.  I, for one, take everything that doesn't greatly encumber my travels but greatly benefits my bank account.  Guns, I mean.  Never armor, never the junk (unless I need to craft a weapon), always guns and ammo.  I have fifteen-thousand caps.  I could buy Jesus. 

Also, having played Morrowind for most of high school, I'm from the "check every fucking box to see if there's a nice, sellable item" train of thought.  In fact, I find that Fallout feels much more like Morrowind than it doesn Oblivion, which, in my opinion, is a good thing. 

- The "Bug" talk is really pervasive.  Is it really that much of an issue?  Again, forty hours in, no problems.  Maybe I'm lucky. 

I apologize for the wall o'text.  I tried to make it as legible as possible.  I think our tastes are just vastly different. 
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OmegaPirate
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Rick said:
"

- boring main storyline.
- faces look the same

Am i talking crap here?"
I'm not really in the business of telling people their opinion is wrong, but I'm going to dissent with all of your points.  Again, you're not wrong at all, these are just disagreements. 

- As far as the engine goes, I'm fine with it.  It worked very well in 2006 and it still does a worthy job here.  I mean, it excels at displaying vast landscapes with impeccable draw distance, and that is precisely the use for it here.  Fallout deserved a modern update and I have can't blame Bethesda for using the tools they have to create another immersive world.

- Not all of the quests are so pedestrian.  Like Oblivion (moreso, I would venture), the player's experience is contingent upon the style of character they make.  You can negotiate a truce between warring factions, perpetuate and escalate a conflict, let the characters operate on their own devices, or, of course, introduce their nose to the Terrible Shotgun.  Each choice has a sort of Butterfly Effect on some other feature of the world, and while the sidequests might not all influence the main storyline directly, they contribute to the tone and the atmosphere of the world. 

- I'll be honest, I haven't finished the main quest yet.  I've dumped about forty hours into the game and I am only about halfway through.  That said, I think Fallout and Assassin's Creed have a commonality.  Rushing through the main quest is the most reliable way to stymie your own enjoyment of the game.  I've spent time bouncing betweeen the side and freeform quests and the main story, and I have been all but totally engaged for the entirety.  I think the turns the story has taken up until my present point have all been more creative than the narrative choices of Oblivion, and the writing is certainly sharper. 

- The fewer number of sidequests has never been an issue to me.  This time around, they're more involved and intricate than Oblivion's slew of quests, and the rewards are much higher, to say nothing of the satisfaction I get for completing them.  Ultimately, for me, the post-apocalyptic setting and the karma system are everything.  I love the setting, and so it's easy for me to stay involved, and the karma system gives the game a sense of consequentialist gravity that Oblivion lacked (you could be a stone cold killer and still get the same result in the main storyline).  I understand I could be a ruthless murderer and then give vagrants purified water to cheat the karma system, but I don't want to, because that breaks the role-playing illusion. 

- About the boring landscape.  Seriously?  This is a world after a nuclear war.  You're not going to see vibrancy on the surface.  It's a design choice.  And a smart, conscientious design choice.  Oasis is evidence of Bethesda's awareness of the drab landscape.  A post-apocalyptic desert is supposed to look like this.  There's a fleeting, symbolic beauty in the horror. 

- While I do agree that the illusion of a living, breathing world might not be achieved in totality, there are little touches here, like in GTA IV, that do wonders for the atmosphere.  The traveling barterer caravans, men coming out of buildings to take smoke breaks, rotating shifts of sentry guards at the major cities, things like that.  You have to understand, again, that this is a post-apocalyptic setting where the commune is tantamount to survival.  People aren't going to leave their haunts if it means getting mauled by a Yao Guai or a Deathclaw.  The only pervasive presence is the Enclave, and it is clear their interest does not concern the people.

- Some animations are stilted, not all.  It's a demon of the engine, I'd say.  There are hiccups when debris interrupts the path of a walking traveller, or when a Super Mutant Behemoth is caught in a doorway.  The third-person view still makes me cringe--the world looks like it's treadmilling beneath the player's feet, as opposed to the player running over land.  (That is the beauty of the first-person view, however.)  On the whole, however, I can ignore the hiccups.  No game renders NPC's perfectly. 

- The faces are a bit more detailed and a bit more varied this time 'round.  Also, voice acting?  No longer an issue, thank God.

- VATS is great.  You have to get creative.  When you're traversing the Wasteland, VATS is more than just a targeting system.  Whip out your Sniper Rifle and tap the bumper to get the jump on an enemy, even if they are well out of range.  Also, it's more strategic than a headshot mechanic.  Deathclaws aren't all that susceptible to headshots, and if you take too much time, they'll show you just how susceptible you are to a dagger-sized talon through the chest.  Use VATS to cripple the bastards then kill them FPS-style. 

- Again, the RPG elements are relative.  You could theoretically get through the game without touching any of the breaking-an-entry skills.  And with the loot, I think the mindset about your playthrough might just be biased by another game.  "Loot" is not an issue in the Wasteland.  Survival is.  I, for one, take everything that doesn't greatly encumber my travels but greatly benefits my bank account.  Guns, I mean.  Never armor, never the junk (unless I need to craft a weapon), always guns and ammo.  I have fifteen-thousand caps.  I could buy Jesus. 

Also, having played Morrowind for most of high school, I'm from the "check every fucking box to see if there's a nice, sellable item" train of thought.  In fact, I find that Fallout feels much more like Morrowind than it doesn Oblivion, which, in my opinion, is a good thing. 

- The "Bug" talk is really pervasive.  Is it really that much of an issue?  Again, forty hours in, no problems.  Maybe I'm lucky. 

I apologize for the wall o'text.  I tried to make it as legible as possible.  I think our tastes are just vastly different. 
"
Im with this dudei was not expecting fallout 3 to grab me as much as it ahs, its got that GTA4 appeal they mentioned on the podcast where you are just forced to do what YOU would do, not whats right or whats wrong, but that one the spot decision making, plus my love of the fallout universe, plus guns DUDE - GUNS!! plus the upgraded engine plus VATS. = win - And get this, Ive actually managed to get my girlfriend to play through it again and get the trophies i missed, and she HATED oblivion! but i could sit and watch her splatter ghoul brains all over tenpenny tower all night!!
JamesBoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JamesBoyce

I don't care what others are rating it or how many stars out of ten IGN/Gamespot are giving it.  There's a shitload of land, you get huge metal fist weapons, there's a perk that makes people FUCKING EXPLODE.  That's enough for me.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StaticFalconar
JamesBoyce said:
"I don't care what others are rating it or how many stars out of ten IGN/Gamespot are giving it.  There's a shitload of land, you get huge metal fist weapons, there's a perk that makes people FUCKING EXPLODE.  That's enough for me."
A big giant metal glove called Fisto (and an electric version called The Shocker). Nuff said; I'm sold.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By RHCPfan24
OmegaPirate said:
"Sir_Ragnarok said:

- - - - - -

"
Im with this dudei was not expecting fallout 3 to grab me as much as it ahs, its got that GTA4 appeal they mentioned on the podcast where you are just forced to do what YOU would do, not whats right or whats wrong, but that one the spot decision making, plus my love of the fallout universe, plus guns DUDE - GUNS!! plus the upgraded engine plus VATS. = win - And get this, Ive actually managed to get my girlfriend to play through it again and get the trophies i missed, and she HATED oblivion! but i could sit and watch her splatter ghoul brains all over tenpenny tower all night!!"
...YEAH! Glad someone else likes it. I think it is one of the best games of the year (or last year). Awesome guns, violence, exploration and RPG elements combine to make a unique, great experience.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By atejas
Rick said:
They've fixed the major issues with that engine.

Pint-sized slasher. Your argument, she is refuted.

- boring main storyline.
Somewhat. I agree

Quality>Quantity

Fallout was always brown, it's part of the art/humour.

Eh, very few games actually do that. But true, still.

True.

- faces look the same
No, they don't.

So use real-time.

RPG elements boring, you say? In an RPG?

I fucking love burgers(honestly, though, the console versions especially did kind of get shafted)

Am i talking crap here?
For the most part, I'm glad to say not.

"
danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By danielkempster
Lunarbunny said:
"If you liked TESIV:O you will probably like F3 and vice versa. People's enjoyment (or lack thereof) of these games seems to be pretty well established."
I could never get into Oblivion. Tried several times, but no luck as yet. With Fallout 3, I'm completely immersed in the world. For what it's worth, I think Jeff's review pretty much hit the nail on the head - it's far from perfect, but the sense of immersion makes up for the flaws.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Kazona

There's bound to be people who think that the game is overrated, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't share that opinion, though, because I think the game is absolutely awesome.

ColMustard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ColMustard

I really can't agree with most things you've said, though your entitled to your opinion... Personally I can't get enough of this game. I love the main story, the sidequests are all deep and engaging. The combat is aggressive and requires you to actually think. It has some of the best RPG elements I've played in a while, leveling up, perks, questing for bobbleheads and books to boost stats... the locations are incredible (probably the best part of the game) having a gun fight outside the gates of Arlington National Cemetary or throwing a frag grenade into a pile of raiders on the war torn steps of the Lincoln Memorial is leterally awesome.  I never played Oblivian, mostly because I hated Morrowind. I can see if you feel slightly jaded by comparrison for the similar experience Fallout offers, but for me, as a standalone experience, this generation offers nothing finer than Fallout 3.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Fallout 3 was not OVERrated in my opinion. It was a damn good game and it deserves the praise it gets.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gunner

What, you expect them to build an entirely new engine for one game?

welcome to PC RPG gaming

- boring main storyline.
Bethesda isnt know for good storytelling

Quality, not quantity

When hundreds of nukes go off i dont expect to see green and red scenery in the aftermath.

Ok i give you that, but "living breathing worlds" just seem like a gimick anymore and they almost never really affect the gameplay.

Again, bethesda isnt known for their good animations

- faces look the same
Yet again, its bethesda were talking about

Its an RPG, not supposed to be action packed

If you think those are what make an RPG then you need to look at the definition of role playing.

No problems for me as far as crashes or "glitches". And im using a crack.

Overrated? have you seen the kind of shit this game was getting before it was even released? fans of the original fallout games were treating this like it was the anti-christ months, maybe even years before it came out and they still do today. I would say that is it a solid RPG with good graphical polish (what other PC game can pull off just a big world while still being able to run on an affordible PC?) and an ok story that fits in with the world.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#19  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
RHCPfan24 said:
"OmegaPirate said:
"Sir_Ragnarok said:

- - - - - -

"
Im with this dudei was not expecting fallout 3 to grab me as much as it ahs, its got that GTA4 appeal they mentioned on the podcast where you are just forced to do what YOU would do, not whats right or whats wrong, but that one the spot decision making, plus my love of the fallout universe, plus guns DUDE - GUNS!! plus the upgraded engine plus VATS. = win - And get this, Ive actually managed to get my girlfriend to play through it again and get the trophies i missed, and she HATED oblivion! but i could sit and watch her splatter ghoul brains all over tenpenny tower all night!!"
...YEAH! Glad someone else likes it. I think it is one of the best games of the year (or last year). Awesome guns, violence, exploration and RPG elements combine to make a unique, great experience."

Who's got two thumbs and agrees with Ragnarok, OmegaPirate, and RHCP?  This guy!

Fallout 3 brought exactly what I wanted out of a Fallout sequel, and did so with an engine I really like.  Aside from some dislike for the game's ending, I thought Fallout 3 was an absolute blast start to finish, and I'm looking forward to another run-through.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I've put 60 hours into Fallout 3 so far & I don't even feel I'm halfway through the game yet.  One thing I've been doing is sneaking up to a super mutants in the waste, laying down a few mines, then go back & snipe them & try to get them to walk over the mines. I've had a lot of fun with this.   I have seen one of the missions kind of "self-complete". For instance, I saw a Deathclaw & hid from it. It wandered into a Raider camp & the Raiders killed it!  I went over later on & picked up the claw (after killing all the Raiders). I then went to talk to some wastelanders & the game kind of completed the quest for me having the Deathclaw to these wastelanders.  In some ways, the Fallout 3 setting has a life of its own when you see the creatures attacking each other.

I've also come to understand how they design these post-apoc areas to traverse through & it makes a lot of sense why they are setup this way.  I first thought, these maps are kind of like mazes..but then, you think, well there is unpassable ruins all over the place, so it makes sense why it would take a maze to get from point A to point B. You don't get this sense of mazes when playing the original Fallout 1 & 2. 

Also,  I've had the game crash on me about 3 times, but since the game auto-saves so often, the crashes haven't been a problem.  I think I've put more time into this game than any other game I've owned for the past two years (I put 45 hours into Mass Effect & 30 hours into Too Human as examples).

One thing I miss in Fallout 3 is the ambient score of the original Fallout 1 & 2 sound tracks.  I think what I will do is either copy the mp3s of those soundtracks to the Xbox 360, or tap them on my PC via TVersity & then turn off the soundtrack music in the Fallout 3 game. Then I think Fallout 3 will feel more authentic to the original series.

I might get the game for the PC when the price drops as I'd like to play with the GECK game design engine that Bethesda gives away on their website for PC gamers.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By Hector

I loved the game! I think it deserved every bit of credit it got as a good game.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Jayge_

It's my Game of the Year. I never felt nearly as engaged or intense when I played Oblivion, compared to how Fallout's atmosphere is crafted. It's a superb game. Definitely not overrated.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Discorsi
Gunner said:
"- basically the same engine as in Oblivion

welcome to PC RPG gaming

- boring main storyline.

Quality, not quantity

When hundreds of nukes go off i dont expect to see green and red scenery in the aftermath.

Ok i give you that, but "living breathing worlds" just seem like a gimick anymore and they almost never really affect the gameplay.

- faces look the same

If you think those are what make an RPG then you need to look at the definition of role playing.

Overrated? have you seen the kind of shit this game was getting before it was even released? fans of the original fallout games were treating this like it was the anti-christ months, maybe even years before it came out and they still do today. I would say that is it a solid RPG with good graphical polish (what other PC game can pull off just a big world while still being able to run on an affordible PC?) and an ok story that fits in with the world.
 "
koei is known for bland gameplay and dated graphics, should I not count that against Dynasty Warriors 6?    Come on now

This game's combat is a joke.  All you do is go into vats aim for the head and then hide behind cover to recharge ap.  The only thing interesting about the combat is when it slows down to show a death and even then bethesda fucks up the camera angles 1/2 the time.  "Oh Discorsi, all fps's you aim for the head, hide behind cover and pop out and take some more shots.  u r dum."  Well sonny boy, the enemy ai is much better in a good fps and makes it much more rewarding to get the headshot since you manually aim and it is not based off some dice roll bullshit.  They also have much better set pieces etc.

The setting is nice and all but it is retarded how they force you to go through certain tunnels due to invisible walls which totally kills the immersion.

This game is an orgasm of mediocre to sub par everything.
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hexpane
Rick said:
"

Am i talking crap here?

"
Absolutely.  The game engine is not "basically the same" as you mentioned, the combat is nothing like Oblivion for starters, neither is the inventory system, karma system etc..
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By vidiot

Fallout 3 is a love hate relationship. There are literally moments of pure brilliance juxtaposed on either a goofy game breaking bug,instability, or a weird failure of what happens when you combine shooting and roleplaying. Hexpane said:

"Rick said:
"

Am i talking crap here?

"
Absolutely.  The game engine is not "basically the same" as you mentioned, the combat is nothing like Oblivion for starters, neither is the inventory system, karma system etc.."
A games engine does not encompass game design, it's is the same game engine complete with all of Oblivion's bizarre technical issues. Example: Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey both used Unreal Engine 3, both have laughably long load times.

For me Fallout 3 was perhaps one of the best games of the year, that being said I can totally see where the TC is coming from. It's novelty will diminish over time like most games, but I predict Fallout 3 critic divisions will be more valid. This game is great, but it sure has issues. 
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hexpane
vidiot said:
"Fallout 3 is a love hate relationship. There are literally moments of pure brilliance juxtaposed on either a goofy game breaking bug,instability, or a weird failure of what happens when you combine shooting and roleplaying. Hexpane said:
"Rick said:
"

Am i talking crap here?

"
Absolutely.  The game engine is not "basically the same" as you mentioned, the combat is nothing like Oblivion for starters, neither is the inventory system, karma system etc.."
A games engine does not encompass game design, it's is the same game engine complete with all of Oblivion's bizarre technical issues. Example: Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey both used Unreal Engine 3, both have laughably long load times.

For me Fallout 3 was perhaps one of the best games of the year, that being said I can totally see where the TC is coming from. It's novelty will diminish over time like most games, but I predict Fallout 3 critic divisions will be more valid. This game is great, but it sure has issues. "
it is *not* the "same" engine.  The OP qualified it as "basically the same" which is an ambiguous term.  They started w/ the Oblivion engine then heavily modified it.  IMO heavily modified does not  =  the same.

But we should stop arguing semantics.  It is without a doubt a Bethesda game.  
dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dtran1212

this game sucks

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gunner
Discorsi said:
"Gunner said:

welcome to PC RPG gaming

- boring main storyline.

Quality, not quantity

- faces look the same

"
koei is known for bland gameplay and dated graphics, should I not count that against Dynasty Warriors 6?    Come on now

This game's combat is a joke.  All you do is go into vats aim for the head and then hide behind cover to recharge ap.  The only thing interesting about the combat is when it slows down to show a death and even then bethesda fucks up the camera angles 1/2 the time.  "Oh Discorsi, all fps's you aim for the head, hide behind cover and pop out and take some more shots.  u r dum."  Well sonny boy, the enemy ai is much better in a good fps and makes it much more rewarding to get the headshot since you manually aim and it is not based off some dice roll bullshit.  They also have much better set pieces etc.

The setting is nice and all but it is retarded how they force you to go through certain tunnels due to invisible walls which totally kills the immersion.

This game is an orgasm of mediocre to sub par everything."
Its primarily an RPG, in what RPG do you have a good first person combat system? RPG's arnt based on their good gameplay and shooting.
cendrars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cendrars

yes I agree. . .though a month ago I thought it was the greatest game of the year. . .good but the hype embers are fading
and I think it going  to the recycle hole of Death @ GameStop....Ahh. . .!

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hexpane

"Discorsi said:

Dude, you hate RPGs, why even post in the FO3 forum?
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By jNerd
Rick said:

- boring main storyline.
- faces look the same

Am i talking crap here?
Yes it was the same engine, because that's what they needed. Some of the side-quests where lame but if you followed the main story it was great. What moar are you expecting (or do you want) from yer quests Rick? The main story rocked. Better quality side missions (hence less). & yeah in a wasteland moast things are just grey & brown. They put themselves in a box there but shit happens & if they would have made it the fuckin reading rainbow it wouldn't have played out well & would've looked akward & ridiculous. NPC's where better then Oblivion's. Faces don't look the same. It's just a mechanic, use it quickly & quit bitchin. OH I'm so BORED of lookin @ the menu's in [any rpg] <~~~ Same dumb bitch-rant. Sorry teh loot is boring. 360 = NO BURGS. Fuck yo pc gaming & fuck the PsFAIL.
/end
Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Discorsi
Hexpane said:
" 
"Discorsi said:

Dude, you hate RPGs, why even post in the FO3 forum?"
Dude I don't hate RPG's in fact I love them so you can keep your little assumptions to yourself.  In fact I love both JRPG's and WRPG's and all other variations.  I am comparing it to other FPS's because this game wants to be an FPS but has desperately clung on to its RPG aspects as well leaving it neither a good shooter or a good RPG.  Why do people love to assume that since i hate the game i hate the genre.  Well I don't hate it per say, just all of its unjustified praise.  I think it is very very mediocre across the board.  So dude, you didn't even post anything related to the topic, why even post in this thread?
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hexpane
Discorsi said:

I am comparing it to other FPS's because this game wants to be an FPS
No it doesn't "Want to be a FPS". Have you played the original FO?  You said yourself that FPS is more satisfying because you can use twitch to get headshots.  FO3 is not about twitch.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By End_Boss

Title should read:

Fallout 3:

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
Discorsi said:
"Gunner said:

welcome to PC RPG gaming

- boring main storyline.

Quality, not quantity

- faces look the same

"

That's because you're an idiot & play the game on easy mode. The game isn't a shooter, it's an RPG.  You don't have to shoot at the head!  If you want, you can ratchet up the game difficulty to Very Hard, this will make the combat more costly & damaging & challenging for you.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PureRok

You know what's really overrated? Me. I'm really overrated. God, I suck so much more than the reviews say. Jesus.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Discorsi
Lind_L_Taylor said:
"Discorsi said:
"Gunner said:

welcome to PC RPG gaming

- boring main storyline.

Quality, not quantity

- faces look the same

"

That's because you're an idiot & play the game on easy mode. The game isn't a shooter, it's an RPG.  You don't have to shoot at the head!  If you want, you can ratchet up the game difficulty to Very Hard, this will make the combat more costly & damaging & challenging for you."
I started the game on hard...... I will play very hard if I ever want to pay again so nice try.
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By AndrewGaspar
Rick said:
"- not really a living, breathing world, NPC's just standing around (like in Morrowind and Oblivion)"
Actually, Oblivion did a really good job about having NPCs constantly moving about Cyrodiil. I think the main reason you don't see as much of that in Fallout 3 is the setting. People have to live in these tight nit communities and if they wander out into the Wasteland, they'll probably die.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By grilledcheez

I loved Oblivion and hated this.  I couldn't get into it for whatever reason, not to mention the game just didn't feel right to me.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hexpane
GrilledCheez01 said:
"I loved Oblivion and hated this.  I couldn't get into it for whatever reason, not to mention the game just didn't feel right to me."
have you played the original FO?
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By End_Boss
Hexpane said:
"GrilledCheez01 said:
"I loved Oblivion and hated this.  I couldn't get into it for whatever reason, not to mention the game just didn't feel right to me."
have you played the original FO?"

Irrelevant. Games should be rated on their own merit, not on those of their forebears.
BAM SHABANG.
Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By Chummy8

I don't think it deserves to be game of the year or even a 5 star game.  It's not the best in the series but it's still an amazing game.  Overrated...maybe, but not grossly so.

I think the OP is knitpicking a little too much here however.  It's a great rpg with shooter elements.. not the other way around.

And IMO, in terms of enjoyment, I would rank the series Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout 1.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By breadfan

When Fallout 3 first came out I had no interest at all in it, but then I actually got my hands on it.  Personally, I love it.  The quests may be boring sometimes, but the events that happen during or in between the quests add to the atmosphere of the game's world that not many games can do.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hexpane
End_Boss said:
"Hexpane said:
"GrilledCheez01 said:
have you played the original FO?"

Irrelevant. Games should be rated on their own merit, not on those of their forebears.
BAM SHABANG."
No, you are missing the point.  I am not saying he should "rate" FO3 based on FO1, I am asking if he played FO1... as in is he even familiar w/ the "post apocalyptic role playing" genre.

People don't understand FO3, a lot of Halo racist redneck teabaggers are expecting a halo gears mashup w/ a blumpkin from that lil kid Soula Boi on the backside.

People who are looking for "twitch" headshot satisfaction should stick w/ twitch games.
Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Chummy8

I don't know about you..but I rarely aimed for the head in VATS.  I was too busy blowing arms and legs off.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By skrutop

I disagree, as I've gone through the game twice now, trying to discover every little hidden facet of the game.  While FO3 does get a bit monotonous after awhile, it still has some amazing moments, like blowing up Megaton, The Liberty Prime Battle, and The Behemoth Fight at GNR.

Of course, I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan, so I'm a bit biased.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hexpane
TekZero said:
"

I don't know about you..but I rarely aimed for the head in VATS.  I was too busy blowing arms and legs off.

"
Yeah I find legs/arms are more fun. They should patch it so you can blow off fingers/toes ears etc...
Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Chummy8

I want eyes and crotches added to the game.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
TekZero said:
"I want eyes and crotches added to the game."

True enough. They had crotch attacks in the original Fallout 1 & 2.

Discorsi said:
I started the game on hard...... I will play very hard if I ever want to pay again so nice try."

Go back to your "reflex" games, bozo.
Ashibaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ashibaka

It wasn't the best thing ever. I'll give you that. For the most part it's pretty easy to overlook the minor flaws though.