Game genre we are seriously lacking in.....

• 88 results
KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#51  Edited By KaneRobot

@thebluthcompany said:

Whatever genre Crimson Skies is in. COME ON MICROSOFT.

I feel like this is next in line...they've already pulled out the Crackdown and Phantom Dust names for "you liked these, surprise here's a new one!" press conference moments, I'd fully expect a 2016 or 2017 announcement for something with Crimson Skies. They kinda need to get Crackdown 3 and Phantom Dust out first, though...

EDIT - A post below this mentioned Mechassault, could definitely see that showing up at some point too. One of the early XBL favorites.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@corevi: Disgaea is almost its own thing, inasmuch as I don't really like those games and their love of grinding and overly complex systems.

I feel like the Disgaea games get a bad rap just for their post game. Yes you can grind to level 9999, reset and then do it all over again with slightly higher stats, but you could also just play through the story and then stop, which would put you around level 100 and take about as long as any other SRPG.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigboss1911: I saw your thread title and I came in with Jak & Daxter on my mind and you mention it in the OT! So no, you're not the only one!

How did the platforming genre die, actually? Was it not popular enough? Mario seems to be doing fine. I was watching a Banjo Kazooie playthrough on Twitch some days ago and that game still looks like it's a lot of fun to play!

m16mojo2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I want another Syndicate., and not that crappy FPS bs we got, either. I just want to blow up some more egg cars!

ateatree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

@pandabear: It's not like he said, "Gamers haven't played THIS kind of game in years?" or "BigBoss1911 wants to play WHAT?" or "5 secret game genres THEY don't want YOU to know about in 2015" Though... it's pretty close!

And to add something to the conversation, a game genre that's seriously lacking? A for real mech simulator ALA Mechwarrior on the PC. Heck, when was the last time we saw an Armored Core game?

Armored Core V, 2012. Hawken, which is much better, was also the very tail end of 2012. Neither of them are particularly serious about their mech riding, though, they're both more akin to Titanfall.

But then, do you really want another Steel Battalion after (also 2012's) atrocious Heavy Armor?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Whatever happened to the extreme sports genre? Bring back EA Sports Big! Surely there's a market for a new NBA Sreet, right? A new SSX that wasn't that one that came out a few years ago? Something! Anything! Aggressive Inline? Snowboard Kids? Wave Race? Muthafuckin MX SUPERFLY, ANYBODY?

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lacking platformers? But all these indies? AAA-quality beating indies at that? 3D platformers went the way of the turd person shooter

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ateatree: Oh! I didn't know they made an AC in 2012. I fell off the AC series in the PS2 era; it seemed like a yearly franchise.

Was never big into Hawken. It felt more like a fast paced shooter with mech trappings rather than a mech game.

Never big into Steel Batallion, even though I dated a girl who had the whole setup and got to play around with it. Steel Battalion Heavy Armor is kinda like XCom the Bureau. Totally different game set in that universe.

I just want a mech game where I need to worry about taking heatsinks over ammo, lasers over projectile weapons. I want to feel like a mech pilot so I can scream "Get out of the hangar!" to my lance mate named Vasquez.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

There are three upcoming 3D Platformers to watch: A Hat In Time, Lobodestroyo and Project Ukulele. Also possibly Banjo-Threeie if Rare's doing that.

You guys should definitely look at Lobo. Hat in Time sort of pulls more from Mario and Zelda where Lobo pulls hugely from the heyday of Rare. It's a very cool project.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I want some turn based RPGs. I hate action RPGs and enjoy a deep class/levelling system and strategic combat. I have been needing to hunt down old games from past platforms I missed, but all I can ever find are the bad low end stuff I have not played.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I just want to a new Mechwarrior game goddamn it. Either a super heavy Sim style game on PC or a new Mechassualt on Xbox One.

I know Mechwarrior online came out in 2013 but it got a lot of bad word of mouth so never really touched it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Is Geo Mod a genre?

Because we're missing it.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: The last mainline DMC game sold a ton though. DMC4 was the best selling in the franchise by far. If Capcom had made a DMC game in house that was a proper sequel to 4 then people would've ate it up. Also Platinum Games seems to be doing just fine and those are pretty much the only types of games the make.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@doctordonkey: The last mainline DMC game sold a ton though. DMC4 was the best selling in the franchise by far. If Capcom had made a DMC game in house that was a proper sequel to 4 then people would've ate it up. Also Platinum Games seems to be doing just fine and those are pretty much the only types of games the make.

2008 was a very, very different market. If a DMC5 comes out, that thing would not even get close to the numbers that DMC4 had. Platinum Games does fine, you're right. However, they are a small studio, and despite how excellent the quality of the games they release are, they still don't sell for shit. The market for character action games has been drying up every year that goes by. Capcom would never greenlight a big DMC5 project, because the Capcom of 2015 and the Capcom of 2004-2008, are very, very different companies.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: I would hope the whole point of re-releasing DMC4 on new consoles is to test the market, but that's probably just Capcom not actually making games and wanting money. I think you underestimate how well an actual DMC5 would sell, especially after the outcry of DmC. You're probably right though that Capcom isn't going to actually try to make a video game again and most of the DMC4 guys are on Dragon's Dogma. Also I think Platinum's games sell pretty alright. W101 and Bayo2 sold badly because Wii U and no marketing for either whatsoever. Metal Gear Rising sold well enough to warrant a possible sequel and I think that Korra game sold just fine for a 15 dollar downloadable. It's not like nothing they make sells or they wouldn't still be around. It is really depressing that the Dragon's Dogma team and the Street Fighter team are really all that's left of Capcom making video games that most people care about.

Avatar image for kommradeobvious
KommradeObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can really agree with this. Maybe I am too accustom to having a Tony Hawk game every year, but I feel like there hasn't been a good one is a decade or two.

Skateboarding games.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I could use some more F-zero in my life

Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kommradeobvious: I agree completely. The Skate series was also bringing some good original stuff too. Shame we probably won't see another one of those (which is crazy to me) but from memory I think there's supposed to be a new Tony Hawk game coming out this year. Something to keep an eye on at least!

cocoonmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turn-based Tactical games like Jagged Alliance and Silent Storm! I loved those games.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Action Rpgs that are not Diablo inspired...

No Caption Provided
Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: Have you tried Mech Warrior Online? There's no singleplayer, which I guess is what you want, but I had a ton of fun with it when I used to play it, really liked the look of it too. I've never been into mech games other than that one though, so I can't say if it's true to the genre so to speak.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey now, we got Knack!

...yeah, I miss them too. I hope the Ratchet & Clank whatever reimagining/reboot version coming out on PS4 this year scratches that itch.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skateboarding and 3D platformers. Skate 4 and Jak 4 please.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: Have you tried Mech Warrior Online? There's no singleplayer, which I guess is what you want, but I had a ton of fun with it when I used to play it, really liked the look of it too. I've never been into mech games other than that one though, so I can't say if it's true to the genre so to speak.

I really wanted the singleplayer more than anything else. I really enjoyed the mech/squad customization that the old Mechwarrior titles had.

Mechwarrior Online looks cool, though. It just won't scratch the itch that I've been having.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm not a massive Star Trek fan, but I've always wished there were more games like Bridge Commander. It's not perfect by any means, but it has so many great ideas that are just begging to be iterated on, and it's a shame that no one's picked up that torch.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Not enough 3D platformers, too many 2D platformers. And that's coming from someone that loves 2D platformers.

I'd love to see over-the-top arcade sports games make another comeback like NBA Jam and NFL Blitz.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan: Absolutely agreed, I don't see a big company doing anything close to it, but I'm waiting for an indie or at least mid level games company to really make something comparable to it one day.
Though FTL was pretty great as far as Starship commander stuff goes, so that was nice, but would love for something more.

@thebluthcompany AAAAAA! I know! I know! Where the hell is the next Crimson Skies?! It was all the fun of an dog fight game mixed with all of the charm of like, an Uncharted game or something. WHY DON'T WE HAVE MORE ALTERNATE HISTORY AIR-PIRATES ALREADY? C'MON!

Cythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Cythe

Silly sports games. I am tired of all the Madden and NBA 2K whatever. I want stuff like NFL Blitz, NBA Jam, and MLB Slugfest big head modes, codes for silly characters, and funny commentators.

Also Silly Racers there is just something I like about getting a rocket launcher as a power up.

A new Jak and Daxter would be great but stupid Naughtydog say they won't make anymore cartoony games.

Avatar image for kommradeobvious
KommradeObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna say it....

I want another Need for Speed Underground or Most Wanted games. I want that shitty tuner lifestyle back. And it's not like I dont' like to recent NFS, but they are essentially Burnout with real cars. Which dilutes Burnout to lackluster crashes.

AND STUPID EA NFS STORY LINES ARE AWESOME.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#81  Edited By spankingaddict

Yup . We can always have more 3d platformers

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By mems1224

squad based shooters. need more games like brothers in arms, republic commandos and freedom fighters.

also, mech games where you can climb out of the mech. titanfall was a good start but i want another mech assault dammit!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#83  Edited By penguindust

About 10 to 15 years ago, there were all these extreme sports games. Tony Hawk, BMX, Aggressive Inline, Amped, SSX, Kelly Slater Surfing, Freekstyle (motorcross), etc...now if publishers release one a year that would be a lot. Granted this is partially because the last few Tony Hawk games stunk, but there is more to extreme sports than just skateboarding.

Also, that that same time, there were a number of "xtreme" takes on traditional sports. I'd like to see a new Outlaw Golf, Outlaw Volleyball or Outlaw Tennis. Maybe not that particular franchise as the humor is dated by today's sensibilities, but something which adds a new elements to a traditional sport while not taking itself serious. I remember hoping that Epic would release that Gears of Golf demo they had to promote Unreal Engine 3.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Meh, I've never been a fan of platformers. RTS games are making a bit of a comeback but I'd still like to see more of them. What we really need is for devs to stop focusing on graphics and start putting in the hard work to make compelling AI. There are games from 10 years ago whose AI puts modern games to shame.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By BlueFalcon

The Japanese dating simulator w/ family options. Yes... This actually exists in Japanese gaming. Yikes.

undrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last big 3D platformer we got outside of Nintendo was Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus, and that wasn't that big. We got Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time before that.

Although there are a bunch of indie 3D platformers like A Hat in Time, Lobodestroyo, Clive & Wrench etc.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'm not sure if this counts, but I think we lack in TYPES of RPGs. We have action RPGs, and turn based rpgs, but I really think most of the games fall into maybe three or four tracks without much substantive differences.

I think most most interesting RPG in a long time was South Park: Stick of Truth because while it acted like a fantasy RPG its presentation and narrative was a deconstruction of the tropes. It deconstructs them by adhering to them while pointing out how ludicrous they are.

I almost wish...and there probably is, I just don't know them...that use different tropes and concepts (high school, office, spies....whatever).

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I wouldn't mind seeing more 3D platformers. I wish Rare would stop sucking at life and make another Conker game. Maybe a proper Banjo-Kazooie game while they're at it. That'd be good.

EternalMesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@notnert427: mark of the ninja was pretty great. Heres hoping phantom pain delivers.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh I think I've 'grown out of' 3d platformers a bit - not saying only children can enjoy them or anything, they're just something I really loved as a child but I struggle to get into now. I think they need a nostalgia factor for me - I can replay the old 3D platformers I loved no problem but find it much harder to get into any I didn't play when I was younger. I agree there aren't too many of them about now though

Not exactly a genre but personally what I would love to see is more party based/character focused wrpgs, atm on consoles at least I think it's pretty much just Bioware's games. Now I don't have a problem with bioware at all, absolutely LOVE the Dragon Age & Mass Effect series, and I'm certainly not saying all wrpgs should be like biowares, but I'd really like to see more with parties (more interesting combat imo & helps with getting attached to characters) and that have more of a focus on story/characters. Y'know, so I actually give a crap about what's happening. I love wrpgs in general - including ones with very little if any character/story focus like TES games, but I want more wRPGs that could make me cry if they so choose.