• 174 results
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
Say, I like what you've done with the place!
You may remember the quest of Robert Pelloni, creator of Bob's Game. He's the guy who said he was going to sit locked in a room for 100 days or until Nintendo responded to his requests for the Nintendo DS SDK, allowing him to officially develop for the handheld. He's been working on a game--called Bob's Game--for five years, all by himself.

Over the course of the last month or so, the messages coming out of Bob during the sit-in became increasingly erratic and vaguely threatening, with Bob promising to release his game as a "killer app" for some sort of homebrew flash card device, and various references to Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime that, if I were Reggie, might have forced me to consider hiring a bit of personal security.

At the time, the whole thing looked like a desperate cry for help and a stalker/obsession scenario that inevitably leads to the death of a celebrity, a suicide, and then, of course, the eventual book deal and movie about the ordeal. It became pretty hard for me to tell if this guy was for real or if the entire thing was staged. Either way, it was all about calling attention to the situation. And either way, I increasingly felt that someone needed to break in there and get Bob out before he hurt himself.

Today, Robert Pelloni is out of his room, his lock-up is over, and the room now appears to be trashed. The last few days have been a series of message that alternate between vengeful and repentant, making it seem like the guy was losing it. I'd probably lose it a bit if I locked myself away for close to 30 days, but I guess I'm still skeptical about the whole thing. Was it ever for real? Bob claims it is. He also claims that he's realized that Nintendo is "just another heartless corporation, only interested in the biggest profits."

Finally, he's said something that's made some actual sense.

If this truly is for real, hopefully someone near Bob will get him some help. And I'm not talking about a meeting with Nintendo, or a lesson on what it actually takes to put a game on store shelves. But I still can't decide if any of this was for real to begin with... probably because I've long had ideas about wiring up a house with webcams, letting it run normally for a month or two, and then staging a bunch of fake murders and other stuff like that. To me, it seems just as likely that Bob's had a script for the full 100 days, but wasn't getting enough interest to maintain it.

What do you think? Think he meant it?

[UPDATE]: MatthewMeadows points out that you can totally see someone lying down in what appears to be the final shot. Hmm. Yeah. You'd think after playing through that photo-hunt game, Interpol, with Ryan that I'd be able to pick out something like that.
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
You may remember the quest of Robert Pelloni, creator of Bob's Game. He's the guy who said he was going to sit locked in a room for 100 days or until Nintendo responded to his requests for the Nintendo DS SDK, allowing him to officially develop for the handheld. He's been working on a game--called Bob's Game--for five years, all by himself.

Over the course of the last month or so, the messages coming out of Bob during the sit-in became increasingly erratic and vaguely threatening, with Bob promising to release his game as a "killer app" for some sort of homebrew flash card device, and various references to Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime that, if I were Reggie, might have forced me to consider hiring a bit of personal security.

At the time, the whole thing looked like a desperate cry for help and a stalker/obsession scenario that inevitably leads to the death of a celebrity, a suicide, and then, of course, the eventual book deal and movie about the ordeal. It became pretty hard for me to tell if this guy was for real or if the entire thing was staged. Either way, it was all about calling attention to the situation. And either way, I increasingly felt that someone needed to break in there and get Bob out before he hurt himself.

Today, Robert Pelloni is out of his room, his lock-up is over, and the room now appears to be trashed. The last few days have been a series of message that alternate between vengeful and repentant, making it seem like the guy was losing it. I'd probably lose it a bit if I locked myself away for close to 30 days, but I guess I'm still skeptical about the whole thing. Was it ever for real? Bob claims it is. He also claims that he's realized that Nintendo is "just another heartless corporation, only interested in the biggest profits."

Finally, he's said something that's made some actual sense.

If this truly is for real, hopefully someone near Bob will get him some help. And I'm not talking about a meeting with Nintendo, or a lesson on what it actually takes to put a game on store shelves. But I still can't decide if any of this was for real to begin with... probably because I've long had ideas about wiring up a house with webcams, letting it run normally for a month or two, and then staging a bunch of fake murders and other stuff like that. To me, it seems just as likely that Bob's had a script for the full 100 days, but wasn't getting enough interest to maintain it.

What do you think? Think he meant it?

[UPDATE]: MatthewMeadows points out that you can totally see someone lying down in what appears to be the final shot. Hmm. Yeah. You'd think after playing through that photo-hunt game, Interpol, with Ryan that I'd be able to pick out something like that.
MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MatthewMeadows

He's not outside. You can see him (hopefully) sleeping on the floor.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

It's a shame. I wanted to see him continue to go even crazier.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Stevokenevo

i hope not because he just realised that he has spent 5 years convincing himself that his game is amazing and that everyone will want to talk to him.  If i think back 5 years, ive accomplished a fair bit, and one of them wasnt becoming a raving loony.

Good Luck with pyschiatric therapy Bob.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By JoelTGM

When people stage something for kicks, it usually doesn't include them humiliating themselves.

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By deathfury

I hope he can get bobs game onto steam or xbla, he said he was looking into those.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Coltonio7

Poor Bob...

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By stephengotlost

Dude, it looks like he passed out in that debris.

Also, the  monologue on his site is incredibly depressing.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Endogene

Someone really needs to poke that guy.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By breadfan

If I worked at Nintendo I would want to have any association with this guy.  Throwing a temper tantrum is not how you get a meeting to get your game published. 

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gizmo

I'm glad that douche got what was coming to him.

Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lepuke

Sorry Bob.
It would be a shame for all of his time to be a complete waste so good game or not, I hope he finds a way to release it eventually in some way shape or form. To not at least do that would be a real total failure.

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MatthewMeadows

Oh hold up, he's alive. Just saw him move.

EDIT: I really think that we shouldn't be saying some of the harsh stuff we are towards him. He's displaying signs of serious mental problems mixed in with cabin fever to boot. I really really really hope that this is some sort of ploy to get attention from Nintendo.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By WightnNerdy

Weirdest shit, ever.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By RHCPfan24

IT'S OVER JOHNNY!

pepper_2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pepper_2000

I hope he is alright. Just because he may be crazy doesn't mean he deserves to die.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Snipzor

Well it seems as if he is going the path of XBLA and Steam, that would be the logical thing to do.

logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By logson

I wanted to play this game, but now I'm not so sure. I think it'll be hard to remove my being creeped out by the sole creator while playing it now.

Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Win

This is really sad. Can someone please explain why it says
"SORRY, EVERYONE!
IM ALIVE!!! ITS JUST A JOKE!!! SORRY EVERYONE!!"

at the top of his site?

mackgyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mackgyver

I don't know if I should call it determination or just plain crazyness. Anyone who wants to be taken seriously shouldn't be doing something like that in the first place. If Nintendo had given in, imagine the pandemic of hundreds of amateur developers like Bob threatening to do the same thing or worse to get Nintendo's attention. I think Nintendo did the right thing not doing business with Bob after seeing his lockup. No respectable company wants to be associated with THAT.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gizmo

I think at this stage, he is a huge target for hackers, if someone managed to get on his pc and delete it/upload it to torrent websites, he would probably kill himself.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LordAndrew

Yeah, that just makes sense. Nintendo would be more likely to listen to someone who's already got a game published than someone who appears to be insane.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kyle

Sure, sure. But when is the Silent Hill 4-esque horror game based on Bob's 30-day shut in ordeal coming out??

Civraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Civraz

hmm? Do i see REDRUM written on the wall?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LordAndrew

I'm working on it right now. I'm hoping to get a DS SDK soon, 'cause if I don't SOMEONE'S GOING TO DIE!

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kyle

Well done, sir. Well done.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TwoOneFive
Win said:
"This is really sad. Can someone please explain why it says
"SORRY, EVERYONE!
IM ALIVE!!! ITS JUST A JOKE!!! SORRY EVERYONE!!"

at the top of his site?"
hmmm..... he got up
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince

I feel bad for him.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ParanoidFreak

It says it was a just a joke on his website now, I guess he wanted to go out with a bang.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kyle

This kind of insanity could never happen in connection to any other company. I never understood all these peoples' psychotic devotion to Nintendo as if they're somehow any more caring than any other company.

musdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By musdy

He kinda looks like Luke Smith from Bungie.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TwoOneFive

i dont feel bad for him, his site says sorry it was a joke, he probably scared a lot of people, got some people really sad and worried. thats not right. this guy is insane. and why don't they just try to sell his game? nintendo could make a good marketing campaign for this game even if it wasn't that good. it would be a cult classic no doubt. 

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By Death_Burnout

Well i certainly know what its like to put your heart and time into something for years and get nothing.

But what a nob. You totally called it Jeff!

Duke_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Duke_Lion

That crazy mo fo.

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MatthewMeadows

I'm not sure the whole trashing his room thing was a joke. When he posted the "I'm better than Kojima" thing, a couple of days later he said that he was joking. 

To be honest, joke or not, the dude has pretty serious issues.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By AURON570

wait... "he's realized that Nintendo is "just another heartless corporation, only interested in the biggest profits."... HELLO? What do you think CAPITALISM means? glad to see he's woken up. yeesh. why are we even reporting on this attention whore?

suicidesnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By suicidesnowman

Wow...and how about that picture? Totally not doing anything for the "I'm not insane" cause.

How's it go?

P, is for PSYCHO.

...AND THE PRESIDENT'S NECK IS MISSING!

Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Shinryu

I kind of feel bad for the guy...

dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dtran1212

atleast he didn't kill himself

JPO375

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JPO375

.......so when we gunna see the movie about this?

McBain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By McBain

This is not news. This is the opposite of news.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By BlackWaterCO

we can only hope he never moves again :D

Usagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By Usagi

Good luck to him getting anyone to work with him in the future, he'll definitely need it after this pathetic stunt!

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ghostin

Cynical as I am most of the time (the times the world isn't telling me its more cynical than me), I think the wisest course would be to call samaritans... give them his number, then never mention the dude again.  All this coverage I've seen on gaming websites is almost like validation of his 'cause'.  It's almost a given that someone this ... erm ... passionate and dedicated has read some of it.

The kid needs help... not spectators.  Hope he gets it.  (the first one).

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LiquidPrince
Usagi said:
"Good luck to him getting anyone to work with him in the future, he'll definitely need it after this pathetic stunt!"
That's what I was thinking.

AlwaysCrashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AlwaysCrashing

I find it totally bizarre how this site is full of gamers, yet everyone is calling Bob - a guy who's obviously passionate about games - a douche pretty much, and kinda siding with Nintendo - a company that is selling itself so much a whore would be embarrassed.

Ok so he's doing some zany things, but how is that any different from musicians or writers who do insane things in the name of creativity? The guy is most probably a genius, with all the insanity that goes with that.

I think the only mistake Bob made was being so blinded by a love for Nintendo he couldn't see they're the most corporate of the gaming companies, and not realising he has all he needs waiting for him up on XBLA.

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CreamyGoodness

i have one word to describe that guy.. FAGGOT

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lieutenant
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JJOR64

God.  That guy is such a loser.  I hope that no one ever plays his game.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LiquidPrince

You know what would be a big slap to Nintendo's face? If Sony or Microsoft picked the game up for PSN or XBL and it sold extremely well.