Games you feel are flying under the radar for GOTY so far

• 103 results
applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Adding to CRPG mention, although it is a long long shot, Wasteland 2. Shadowrun, Divnity, and Wasteland 2 are pretty much all I remember from the RPG genre that are more or less going to be left out of the running.

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@thunderstorm101: Hearthstone on iPad (I play on an Air and Mini 2), is one of the few large apps that *doesn't* seem to crash when you might expect it. I think I have had possibly only a single match, out of 1000+, get messed up due to a crash. The game is solid and can recover from random networking shit so well I am amazed. I believe you can even resume an in-progress game on another device, even between iPad and PC/Mac, as long as it hasn't been too long (a few turns/minutes). Everything happens server-side which is the right design for a game like this. Maybe the stuff you ran into has long been patched, so you should give it another try. The one issue I run into is it's pretty memory hungry and can get killed by iOS pretty quick if you multitask to say, change the podcast you're listening to.

Avatar image for thunderstorm101
thunderstorm101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drzing: Maybe ill give it another go then, i was playing on an iPad mini so assumed it could handle the game.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've spent the longest playtime with DS2 this year and i've enjoyed every minute of it .

And i still can see myself going back to it to give it another spin .

Right now, i'm playing Wasteland 2 and i can see a lot of potential for it to be my GoTY .

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderstorm101: Oh ok, a first-gen iPad Mini? Those are pretty slow, since the guts are an iPad 2, I can't say how well it would run there. I'm sure devs just hate having to support that old thing, it's a dinosaur by now. Good time to upgrade, you can probably find a great deal on a Mini 2 this week. Much faster, and I would say the retina screen is just as important for a game with many detailed cards on screen at once. (Don't buy a Mini 3 though).

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@afabs515 said:

I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but Persona Q is really doing it for me. I thought it was just gonna be shameless fan service and a cash in on the P3/P4 cast before P5 comes out next year. And it is that, but the game itself is actually a really nice fusion of Persona and Etrian Odyssey. I'm having a great time so far and I think the writing does the Persona casts justice. Because it's so lengthy/obscure, I'm sure it won't make any of GB's lists, but that game deserves at least a bit of recognition.

There's that neat little poll they put out about which games they missed, and the whole gang will be covering games over the week. I put Persona Q five times. This game is fantastic.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

You know, I really hope P.T. gets talked about and I feel like it wont get attention come GOTY.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Octodad, Crossy Road and Desert Golfing will all fly under the radar.

Aside from Transistor, this year has been relatively quiet for indies.

CaveManCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't Stick of Truth released this year?

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By chilibean_3

Huh. The more I think about my favorite games this year the more I think Titanfall is my GOTY. Like, it's the only game I had tons of fun with from when I started to when I finished and it's the only game from this year that when I think back on I'm still hype about. And I can't have DOTA be GOTY all years so I guess it's Titanfall. And that game has no chance outside of a multiplayer award.

Boy, 2014's blockbusters, huh? Woof.

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

@kishinfoulux said:

I'll shout it from the heavens in every topic, but Lighting Returns. Also Curtain Call got completely ignored, which was disappointing.

@belegorm said:

I feel like it's kinda shocking how little the bombcrew seem to remember Dark Souls II at the moment. Thank god Vinny will be around for GOTY discussions as I can always count on him to hold the torch for that series. I'm not even sure anyone from GB has beaten the game yet (probably not remembering it correctly), but I mean I'm pretty damn sure Patrick decided to wait for the PC release (then I think he didn't play it), Brad's only got around to playing it now, I hope Vinny played much of it.

That's because Dark Souls 2 was a huge bummer. This was THE year a Souls game could've won GOTY. All it had to do was execute...and it failed. Shame because it finally had the numbers game on its side for once, with Vinny, Brad, and Patrick being on board.

Dark Souls II was far from a bummer, it is the best Souls game to date. It will be my GOTY.

I feel like saying Hearthstone flies under the radar is an understatement. Great game. Amazing game even.

Demon's Souls won Gamespot's GOTY

DannyHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By DannyHibiki

I've been super hooked on Love Live! School Idol Festival.

An ouendan style music game / collectible card game with stats, skills, and leveling / unholy Japanese free to play UR-game (ha ha my fellow love livers will get that funny and super clever joke). It's fun and somehow I've convinced too many people I know to start playing it.

Haven't spent a dime on it yet, but some Christmas cash is going to be converted into love gems by the end of the year.

Loading Video...

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

South Park, that Diablo III expansion, and Transistor. I have a sneaking suspicion that Elite Dangerous will also be swept aside since its releasing so late in the year, which is unfortunate; there's so much in that game that makes me giddy. And I do not know if they've gotten onto Persona Q yet to consider it.

jackburtonme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see them mention The Fall. Maybe not the best game of the year, but it was really well written hard science fiction that you don't get very often in games. The production design and voice work were also great.

awalkawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: I just started playing through it recently (im about 6 hours in) and Shadowrun Dragonfall is defiantly up there for me an absolutely fantastic game

ConstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ConstantRyan

Kentucky Route Zero: Act III deserves a mention and probably more, it might be my GOTY.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasteland 2, it is Fallout 1 & 2 all over again, the combat is fine but the rest of the game is awesome. I feel it will be overlooked due to Divinity and Dragon Age.

The Banner Saga, it needs to win "Best Looking Game", the game is gorgeous, hell the map alone could win that category.

Dark Souls 2, to me it is just as good if not better than Dark Souls 1 great game.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if the main episodes were released this year (though the complete Season 1 "Collectors Edition" was released May 2014 on Steam), but I really enjoyed The Last Door - great horror adventure..

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Until Shadow Of Mordor came out, Valiant Hearts was my obvious front runner.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#72  Edited By Wemibelle

@jackburtonme said:

I would like to see them mention The Fall. Maybe not the best game of the year, but it was really well written hard science fiction that you don't get very often in games. The production design and voice work were also great.

The Fall is great, but I think it's technically episodic and doesn't count yet? I know that I personally wait until a game is fully "out" before I would put it on one of my lists.

I'll continue to extol Lightning Returns and Drakengard 3 as being truly fantastic, but these aren't games for most people, I feel. LR carries too much baggage from opinions on the rest of the series, games which actually should be played to even get the full impact out of the most recent release. And Drakengard 3 is QUITE rough in the gameplay department, especially at the beginning (the bad framerate is much worse in the first area), which makes it hard to expect most people to slog through 15-20 hours to see the great characters and story. I can't really blame people for missing them, but I'm still a bit disappointed.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By kindgineer

Dungeon of the Endless. Fantastic game with a lot of conjoined elements without being too obvious. I think its a real treat to both watch and play.

Lausebub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Velocity 2X deserved more love. I heard great things about Stealth Inc. 2 as well.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@drzing said:

I will second Forza Horizon 2 as a really excellent racing game. It has been the game to make me not regret buying an Xbox One. Now if only Microsoft would let you run the damn Xbox Music app in the *background* so I can listen to my own tunes without having to snap 1/3 of my TV to show the cover art, it would be perfect. I know Jeff played a bunch of that game so it probably won't get overlooked, but the other racing guys might turn their noses up that it's not F1. ;) It's not GOTY but I keep coming back to it, and I normally get bored of racing games in a few hours.

So like a moron I also bought Driveclub on launch day and still jump into that game once in a while too. Just single player trying to get more stars, multi does work but it's not that fun. It's a lot more challenging, more "pure racing" without being insane like Forza 5. I think the physics are ok, I can drive in each game pretty well. I mean going from the DS4 to the plasticky XB1 controller is more of an issue than the car physics, honestly. Nobody should buy DC though, don't get me wrong. I do feel bad for that team, I have been there when a ton of new users show up and fuck your cloud servers, usually on Christmas morning. It's the absolute worst, and that's when it lasts for just one day or something!

Oh, how about the biggest surprise: Call of Duty. Don't think I heard of any problems with their servers. I suppose they are quite pro at this by now, though. It's actually a decent game too!

Forgot to say it but my GOTY is probably Alien Isolation. Shadow of Mordor is WAY over-rated IMO.

Whoa, wait - you mean in Forza Horizon 2, I cannot pretty much replace the soundtrack with a playlist of my choosing like I did with Forza Horizon 1?

That fucking sucks.

I'm pretty sure my two favorite games of this year - Shovel Knight and Wolfenstein - will be brought in GOTY discussions. Nothing else I've played really strikes me as deserving of the conversation.

byterunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shovel Knight

Its a game that was able to do the Indie Pixel Art look without looking totally uninspired and actually feels likes it own entity and not a knockoff of game from 20 years ago.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n said:

I'll add in to the chorus saying Persona Q and Velocity 2X. I'm 12 hours into PQ and loving the hell out of it, it helps that I'm a huge Persona fan but the game itself is solid and makes some really nice changes from Etrian Odyssey 4 (never played Millennium Girl so don't know what that changed)

Millennium Girl was a remake of the first EO game with more story and no character creation so it's much closer to Persona Q than the other EO games.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze definitely. Dan basically said it's his number 2 favorite pllatformer of all time and encouraged everyone to play it for GOTY. Everyone ignored him. Sad, I hope Dan can get it on the list none the less.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By NTM

For me, my favorite games this year are Alien Isolation, Valiant Hearts, and The Walking Dead Season Two, so it'd be nice to see those on lists. Actually, I loved them, but I don't really care if they're on lists, but as part of the discussions, that'd be nice.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know... seems like racing games are always overlooked because they are racing games. I enjoyed the shit out of Forza Horizon 2, and I would say without hyperbole that it is probably my favorite racing game of all time.

This guy gets it.

FH2 is a vast, solid mechanically, pretty looking racing game that is by far one of my favorite racing games ever. I had more fun with that than Infamous for sure.

I think Mordor was shockingly good, but not great. There were things I disliked that led to me not finishing it because I had no real compelling urge to. I really enjoyed South Park: Stick of Truth a lot, but I'm a South Park fan so I'm probably biased. If you don't appreciate South Park, it's hard to like. And I think Wolfenstein may be the best shooter this year. I don't even think Destiny or COD: AW comes close to Wolfenstein's "fun factor". Which you duel wield those auto-shotguns...umph. It's good.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree on Infamous: Second Son. It is a great game, I beat twice in a weekend and had a blast going for the platinum.

Infamous First Light was also pretty good. Sucks to see those being largely ignored during best of the year talks.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FRACT OSC

It's a video game musical instrument that is also a great puzzle game.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, Disney Infinity 2.0, with all the Marvel stuff, may be the most I've enjoyed a game this year. Definitely in my top 3.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hearthstone

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it gets finished when it's supposed to, Sunless Sea all the way. Even now it's one of my favorite games in a long while.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#89  Edited By sjschmidt93

I don't know if Hearthstone counts because it was in a pretty complete beta since August, but it's my GOTY right now.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By meaninoflife42

Wolfenstein: The New Order is an underrated gem this year. Machine Games could have easily just churned out a standard FPS, but they actually told a well-written story and had well made cinematics (apparently an hour and a half's worth,) to help tell that story.

Plus, it was really fun to dual-wield shotguns and sniper rifles and shoot Nazis and robot Nazis in the face.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I feel like Wolfenstein: The New Order, South Park: The Stick of Truth and Velocity 2X might be criminally overlooked. They are all top five material if not top three.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#92  Edited By Julmust

I really like Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments, though I haven't played all of it. Been saving the three last cases for the holiday break, but man that is just an awesome detective game. The deduction-mechanic really makes that game, super fun!

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I want Wolfenstein to get its props. LUFTRAUSERS also deserves a discussion. Everyone claiming inFamous Second Son is worth talking about is crazy. That game was pretty and functional, but doesn't deserve recognition beyond "hey that was a great looking game to justify spending $400 on a new box."

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: You're entitled to your opinion man but saying Dark Souls 2 was a bummer because it didn't execute is straight up ridiculous.

I liked Dark Souls 1 better but Dark Souls 2 is still a hell of a game.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forza Horzion 2 is probably the best game that came out this year, did Hearthstone come out this year? If not Naxx and G&G did so it should count.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luftrausers, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Transistor, Strider, Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, Kentucky Route Zero. These are the games I enjoyed a great deal this year and would like to see them get their spot in the GOTY discussion.

BrianMcBride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you ask me what game I had the most fun playing... It was actually Velvet Sundown... but I am not sure that thing is even a game really...

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shovel Knight

Its a game that was able to do the Indie Pixel Art look without looking totally uninspired and actually feels likes it own entity and not a knockoff of game from 20 years ago.

And the music! The music is just so damn good.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Risen 3. Played Divinity, South park etc in the first half of the year, but none of them managed to entertain very much.

Thankfully Risen 3 came along and I was able to survive the months leading upto the holiday releases (ACu, FC4, DAI)

Great, beautiful and engrossing game. Only competition for Goty it has from my side is DA:I. (Have just started DA so can't say yet)

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#100  Edited By Honkalot

I wouldn't put it on a top ten but I wonder how many people remember without being reminded first, that Titanfall came out this year.

That game seems to unfortunately have basically disappeared.