GameSpot layoffs

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By conmulligan

It looks like there's a round of layoffs happening over at GameSpot. Carolyn Petit is the first casualty, which is a huge bummer because she was easily their most gifted writer.

I wonder if this is part of an overall tightening up at CBSi or if GameSpot is changing direction somehow. Anyway, my thoughts are with those affected. Here's hoping they all land on their feet.

I've added a list of all those affected below. Thanks, @bacongames.

Known Casualties

• Carolyn Petit
  • Tom McShea
  • Ryan Mac Donald
  • Justin Calvert
  • Maxwell McGee
  • Wernher Goff
  • Benito Gonzalez

There's been a bunch of speculation about how this might affect Giant Bomb, but according to Patrick this round of layoffs won't affect the site. Let's not get prematurely pessimistic.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm really bummed by this! I mean, I'll be honest. The only stuff I go to on GameSpot these days (regularly) is the stuff that Danny O'Dwyer is involved in, so I guess I might be part of the problem, but this is still bad.

I wish the best for them.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Layoffs can suck a fat chode.

Sorry to everyone that lost their jobs. I can't believe Carolyn would get laid off. She's great!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Carolyn is a major loss. She is always really eloquent and knowledgeable about so many of the important issues that the games industry faces at the moment.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is there any official word on the layoffs?

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Damn, that's really shitty.

All the best to Carolyn and everyone else affected.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

This is a bummer. She was one of Gamespot's better contributors and will definitely be missed.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's unfortunate news. I'm curious if this means changes are coming to Gamespot's identity.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery for everyone who was laid off today.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Steadying

Oh wow. That really sucks.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a major bummer either way. But is there any info that points to it being layoffs or is it possible Caroline Petit was let go?
Besides Jason's tweet?

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RonGalaxy

I really hate to do this, but Alex just changed his twitter name to "a colossal bummer" and his last tweet was "deep sigh". I really hope no one at GB was fired....

EDIT: apparently he's been "colossal bummer" for awhile now. take what I said with a very tiny grain of salt.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#13 FinalDasa  Moderator

Wow that's a bummer. She's a great writer and a great voice to have within the industry, hopefully she and anyone else bounces back quickly.

I wonder what this means for Gamespot and CBSi overall. Gamespot always seemed a little bloated in terms of staff but I assumed they did enough traffic to make up for it all. And recently they've seemed to become more focused with their content emphasizing live streams, live chat, and topical discussions. They've been highlighting new and unique games with some of their shows and really though they were on their way to some really good stuff.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Gamespot has so much staff there sometimes I don't see people for months and just assume they don't work there anymore, then they pop up on a livestream. But yeah Caro, Kevin and McShea are the writers that I go there for primarily. The Danny video stuff goes without saying.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: I think he's been Colossal Bummer for a while now.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@koolaid said:

But is there any info that points to it being layoffs or is it possible Caroline Petit was let go?

Besides Jason's tweet?

Carolyn (or Caroline; however it's spelled) mentioned "some colleagues." A vague hint, yes, but something to go on.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I really hate to do this, but Alex just changed his twitter name to "a colossal bummer" and his last tweet was "deep sigh". I really hope no one at GB was fired....

I would hope CBSi wasn't that dumb of a company to let them hire two dudes only to fire others...

MoltenBoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#18  Edited By MoltenBoron

@rongalaxy: His twitter name has been "A Colossal Bummer" for a little while.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Awhile back it seemed like they jettisoned their UK staff, but I wasn't paying enough attention to tell that for sure.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

@rongalaxy: I think he's been Colossal Bummer for a while now.

I never really noticed until now, which is convenient in a bad way.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foxmulder said:

@rongalaxy said:

I would hope CBSi wasn't that dumb of a company to let them hire two dudes only to fire others...

Yeah, I also don't imagine CBSi management is budgeting GB East to have a studio setup for Vinny and Alex, just in time to fire...who? Newly promoted podcast host Brad? EIC Jeff? Only news writer the site has, Patrick?

If money was tight on the GB side, they just wouldn't have hired Dan and Jason at all.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carolyn was probably their best writer. Sucks for anyone gone.

But lime a few have said sometimes I don't see some staff for weeks and weeks. Looks like they are going with more of the giant bomb type small group mentality. At least in the relative form of the big gaming websites.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Wow, that's unbelievably awful. I'm genuinely shocked. Given GiantBomb's positive trajectory I thought GS was ok too.

Carolyn is a big big loss for them, it makes you wonder how deep the cuts went.

Best wishes to those affected.

kieran_smith5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Super sad. She was an excellent writer, and I always loved her opinions. She was fantastic opposite Kevin on Gamespot Gameplay, and is a voice I am sorely going to miss.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Shit I'm bummed. Loved Carolyn's reviews. Hope we'll still see her around and she'll continue to write about games.

baracudadk2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gamespot has generally alot of people on staff and is quite big. so layoffs are not unusual.

but still Carolyn was a great writer, hopefully she wont have any trouble finding a new place quickly ^^

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EuanDewar

Wait what? Carolyn was like one of Gamespot's premier people! I don't want anyone to be laid off but if someone has to go I have no idea why she of all people would be top of the list.

Also, this is not gonna help calm the people who give Carolyn constant shit and call for her to be fired in the Gamespot comment sections.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Wait what? Carolyn was like one of Gamespot's premier people! I don't want anyone to be laid off but if someone has to go I have no idea why she of all people would be top of the list.

Also, this is not gonna help calm the people who give Carolyn constant shit in the Gamespot comment sections.

You'd think that after the Jeff Gerstmann controversy they would have learned their lesson by now.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamespot has been hit with a few layoffs the last few years, so this wasn't very surprising. They seem to be going more towards video content, and my guess is that this has something to do with that (Carolyn more or less only did written content). Gamespot brought over 40 people to E3 this year, so they have an absurd amount of staff.

Still, sad for those affected.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I don't visit GameSpot enough to know any of the people outside of those who've made appearances (Carolyn being one) on this site, but it's still a bummer to hear. Best of luck in their future ventures.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@euandewar: If I had to make a wild guess, is it possible that GS is going to veer more towards video coverage? So someone who is "the site's best writer", as many are saying in this thread, is less of an asset?

I'm guessing people like Danny O'Dwyer and Chris Waters are fine due to the video content they're involved in, but maybe they're decreasing their focus on actual written articles?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Bummer, not surprising though. I would hate to be pursuing a job as a games journalist these days.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I only go to Gamespot for their live streams and Carolyn hasn't been on those in a while (and, if I can be frank, I didn't always enjoy her appearances) so this isn't a total surprise. Gamespot having layoffs at all though definitely is, all the renovations they've been doing to their site and live broadcast presentation had me under the impression they were rolling in dough. I hope everybody lands on their feet, and didn't mean anything negative towards Carolyn, I have high hopes for her too. I just didn't experience her much, and when I did it was a little off putting (not for those reasons, I enjoyed Sam Kallman just fine).

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This really sucks.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: You're probably right but even if that were my criteria Carolyn would still not be top of the list.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a bummer. I didn't really follower her work, but the stuff I did read I enjoyed. I hope she and everyone that lost their jobs are able to find new footing.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Sounds like VanOrd survived but the cuts may have been deep :(

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Bummer for those without jobs. I haven't used Gamespot in years but I don't like hearing about people being let go, but that is life.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@euandewar: If I had to make a wild guess, is it possible that GS is going to veer more towards video coverage? So someone who is "the site's best writer", as many are saying in this thread, is less of an asset?

I'm perfectly fine with video coverage in itself, but that's kind of a depressing thing to consider. Unlikely, I would think, but still.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@slag: Glad to see he's survived the cuts, but man, it sounds like most of the editorial staff got the axe, judging by his tweet.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So how does this stuff usually work? Do the people concerned usually have an idea that this is going to happen, or do they just come to work one day and find out it's their last?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I don't know the details, but I hate even the idea that we live in a world where the written word just isn't good enough anymore. I know, video's easier to consume, but fuck that - the written word is and should always be the gauge for serious journalism quality.

scarycrayons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By scarycrayons

I'm of the opinion that, while layoffs always suck, I can kind of understand it too.

I really do hope that GameSpot figures out how to do better at video and livestreaming content, because that's pretty much the only content I really enjoy on GameSpot now. I loved their 7th Guest stream that I caught a while back.

For me, Carolyn was always known as the writer who had some questionable views on games, as she tended to have a reputation for thinking that if a character in a game was negative, then the game itself was problematic and bad for the game industry. That always seemed like an odd leap of logic to me, and reminded me a lot of the "Doom encourages shooting people, and it's problematic and bad for the game industry" claims from a scattered few magazine/newspaper reviewers of the 1990s.

I'm sure she meant well, but her views did come across as a little dated, with a chip on her shoulder about certain issues.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

This sucks. Best wishes to everyone. I hope you all land on your feet. If there is a silver lining here its that the industry usually takes care of its own during times like this.

doomocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

McShea just announced he is also affected. Shawn will have to take up the role of office weirdo, but I fear he cannot do it justice.

Man. Tom :/

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#48 chaser324  Moderator

@cale: Layoffs can really go either way. Sometimes you're straight up told there are going to be layoffs, sometimes it's vague rumors, or sometimes you have no clue and it's a message to immediately clear out your desk and hit the bricks.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#49 FinalDasa  Moderator
Nubikal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers