Gaming websites need to stop making nice with each other.

• 74 results
kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kishinfoulux

The Jeff/IGN topic just reignited a thought I've always had. On one hand I think it's cool when personalities from different sites mingle together and whatnot. At the end of the day though they are your competition. You want to be the best site out there. You want to crush them. IGN is the top dog and everyone should be gunning for them. You just KNOW that these smaller sites detest IGN, but they generally don't say it out loud. One thing I've noticed from IGN podcasts when I used to listen is that they never seem to mention other sites at all. Almost as if it were taboo or forbidden. Other sites namedrop others all the time though. IGN has the right idea there. Don't mention the competition. I want to see Giantbomb, Polygon, Joystiq, Destructoid, Kotaku, etc. all just come out guns blazing, constantly trying to one up each other, going after the top dogs, trying to establish themselves as THE site to go to. I feel like they just rest on their laurels and are content with what they are. Screw that. Aim for the top. I wanna see blood damn it.

admordem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By admordem

As the guys have said several times in relation to how can Gamespot and Giantbomb co-exist, Giantbomb isn't a typical site. It's not an IGN or a Gamespot. They don't review every single game that comes out ever, they don't do standard or conventional coverage by any way.

In other words, they are a different kind of site.

That IGN interview in particular, even if you hate IGN, is still a good way to get awareness of Giantbomb out to one of the biggest gaming communities on the internet. He would have been stupid to not 'make nice' with them. Competition can be healthy, but the reality of these days is anything but. It's the argument publishers use when they buy competing game catalogues to stop release of competing products.

The third point should be obvious, and it's why people who work for one publisher or developer don't publicly attack the others. They could end up being your boss / workmates one day. Imagine Peter Moore trying to get a job at Microsoft or EA if he blasted them while he was at SEGA.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By planetary

OP: You are confusing corporations with people in them. This is a common mistake. The objectives of individual humans are often not completely aligned with group-entities like corporations, governments, social groups, etc.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WMWA

Why are you so angry?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JasonR86

So they should act like they are children and draw arbitrary lines for relationships? That's juvenile and ridiculous.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Enigma777

Show me on the doll where IGN touched you etc etc.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dany

You must be a teenager.

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By cyraxible

I think you're forgetting that they're not robots that feed us video game content. Those are people who perhaps are friendly with each other.

I've heard pretty much all of the GB guys say at one point or another that it's a small industry so it makes sense to work together and be friendly.

All of those sites you listed couldn't be more different and there's no reason they can't cohabitate.

Why so angsty?

admordem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By admordem

@wmaustin55: I get where he is coming from, it's the same reason people like to wear a sporting teams jersey and joke about the other teams.

He wants to show his love for the site, and get across to others that it is a standout compared to the other guys. I do the same thing for my local footy team.

While it can be fun for the supporters, it's not really appropriate for the official representatives themselves.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By upwarDBound

I'm going to assume your post is tongue in cheek.

I don't know how IGN got to the top and they can stay there for all I care as long as the other guys are able to continue to do their own thing. I'm perfectly fine with where Giant Bomb is right now as long as they continue to provide the same unique games coverage they have since the beginning.

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Slab64

@kishinfoulux said:

I want to see Giantbomb, Polygon, Joystiq, Destructoid, Kotaku, etc. ... constantly trying to one up each other

They are doing that. They're just not jerks about it. It's called professional courtesy.

Avatar image for belligerentengine
BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well to be fair I do think he has a point that there is stagnation of original and interesting content in the games press. I'm not sure the buddy buddy attitude and intermingling of industry "luminaries" is a significant influence on this though.

From what I can tell it's relatively common among industry press of any type to see this sort of thing. Everyone goes to the same trade shows, reports on the same stories, and generally cannibalizes each other's content, exclusives, and audiences.

css_switchfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By css_switchfoot

What is this Jeff/IGN thing you are talking about?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By DarthOrange

The first time I heard about Jeff was on an Attack of the Show interview (Jeff actually wasn't even there).

I first decided to visit Giant Bomb after I saw Jeff and Ryan on Game Trailers Bonus Round and wanted to see there review of Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. After I saw that Jeff loved Mortal Kombat as much as (if not more then) I did, I became a regular visitor ever since, although I only started posting a few months ago.

These site crossovers really do bring new fans, and if every website hunkered down and became antisocial I wouldn't be here right now.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mendelson9

@css_switchfoot: I think he is talking about Jeff on an episode of Up at Noon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wmaustin55 said:

Why are you so angry?

It's what is being on the internet. Right, fucker?

get it ;)

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

They are all adults and I am sure they wish everyone else success, but it would be really cool if it was like an Anchorman situation with all the different news stations.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@kishinfoulux said:

The Jeff/IGN topic just reignited a thought I've always had. On one hand I think it's cool when personalities from different sites mingle together and whatnot. At the end of the day though they are your competition. You want to be the best site out there. You want to crush them. IGN is the top dog and everyone should be gunning for them. You just KNOW that these smaller sites detest IGN, but they generally don't say it out loud. One thing I've noticed from IGN podcasts when I used to listen is that they never seem to mention other sites at all. Almost as if it were taboo or forbidden. Other sites namedrop others all the time though. IGN has the right idea there. Don't mention the competition. I want to see Giantbomb, Polygon, Joystiq, Destructoid, Kotaku, etc. all just come out guns blazing, constantly trying to one up each other, going after the top dogs, trying to establish themselves as THE site to go to. I feel like they just rest on their laurels and are content with what they are. Screw that. Aim for the top. I wanna see blood damn it.

On the front page of IGN recently they had an article from 1up featured. It was weird

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveToaster

I think they should all just take off their clothes and wrestle in the mud.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidSwords

@kishinfoulux said:

Yes, act like children. DUR DUR INTErNeTS BRUH!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kishinfoulux

@SomeDeliCook said:

@kishinfoulux said:

On the front page of IGN recently they had an article from 1up featured. It was weird

1up and IGN are one now aren't they? Or am I confusing 1up with someone else?

SarjuTheRapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SarjuTheRapper

giantbomb is my religion

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Ugh. You're the worst.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kishinfoulux

Also I'm aware that a lot of these guys are friends and whatnot. I'm not saying to hurl personal insults at each other. I just want to see fierce competition. I do get that some sites have certain roles and niches, but I would think they'd want to strive for more. Also let me clarify that while I hate IGN, this isn't some kind of stealth IGN bashing topic or a "Giantbomb is #1" topic. I see hints of rivalries come out on Twitter from various gaming media personalities, from time to time. They always seem to keep it in check. They take jabs at each other, but they tend to be subtle about it. I say fuck that. Tell us how you really feel.

Also I'm not angry. It's just a thought I've had for a while now. >_>

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By selbie

@SarjuTheRapper said:

giantbomb is my religion

..and gaming is the SHIT!

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Wemibelle

Being an asshat doesn't do anyone any favors. It isn't very professional and just makes people seem immature. Sure, they're competing against each other for page views but that doesn't mean they can't truly respect what the other sites do.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By pr1mus

So if i understand everything the OP said, you want the ridiculous and childish attitude that is plaguing a large part of the gaming community to extend to the people covering the industry too? What a brilliant idea.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By Chris2KLee

Seems like a waste of energy, I prefer they focus on making good content as opposed to starting fights for no reason than to stoke forum trolls.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@kishinfoulux said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

@kishinfoulux said:

1up and IGN are one now aren't they? Or am I confusing 1up with someone else?

Actually you're right, I forgot about that.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By BabyChooChoo

This has to be a joke...

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LiquidSwords

GB Staff > GB Community

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#32  Edited By wumbo3000

@SirPsychoSexy said:

They are all adults and I am sure they wish everyone else success, but it would be really cool if it was like an Anchorman situation with all the different news stations.

Vinny, is that a hand grenade?

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TwoLines

You are the amalgamation of the worst things on the internet. Moving on.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By chrissedoff

It never pays to shit-talk your competition because you might end up working for them one day.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Claude

This ain't no multiplayer game. Competition is in the eyes of the beholder. Sometimes you just want to play within a community of like minded individuals.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By korwin

Yes the world needs people to fight more :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23
deactivated-5a1d45de5ef23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@LiquidSwords said:

GB Staff > GB Community

i wouldnt really call a forum a comminity.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bell_End

drivel

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Grimluck343

@chrissedoff said:

It never pays to shit-talk your competition because you might end up working for them one day.

Zing!

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheSouthernDandy
@BraveToaster

I think they should all just take off their clothes and wrestle in the mud.

That's your answer to everything. The worlds problems cannot be solved by mud wrestling!
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By alternate

Guess what? The majority of people are not hardcore supporters of just one site. They surf multiple feeds. Sometime they just use aggregate sites or RSS for the articles. reviews, etc and don't care who hosts them.

Jeff on an IGN show? Why the hell not. IGN gets some Jeff fans to watch the show. Jeff gets to promote GB to some IGN viewers who have never visited. Win- win.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow ... can you even imagine bringing that attitude into the world as an adult?

I really fucking hate these other cool guys who write about games for a living like me because they work at a different website. Grr!

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AlexanderSheen

I choose you! *poof*

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By sweep  Moderator
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#45  Edited By pyromagnestir

I only read the title of this thread, and all I have to say is well that sounds like a dumb thing to say.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Wow, it actually worked. Or it was the flag? I'm not sure.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gargantuan

Fuck off! Gaming communities needs to be nicer to each other.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#48  Edited By AndrewB

Why the need for competition when...

A) You feel like you're already at the top, which if you're competent in your abilities, you do.

B) You're working within a tight-knight group of talented individuals who don't actually hate one another, and merely work for different companies who are naturally competing with one another out of necessity?

Why do you guys enjoy the struggle of lesser companies to break open, especially when they are actually of greater quality than the big monoliths already present?

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Grixxel

Hello 1st world problem.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers