GB Community Endurance Run - Pick your poison!

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Poll GB Community Endurance Run - Pick your poison! (79 votes)

Final Fantasy IX 18%
Metroid Prime 20%
Phantasy Star II 6%
Planescape: Torment 20%
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne 20%
Ultima VII: The Black Gate 15%

It's morning times in Europe and afternoon times Australasia, so in theory all the duders in the world can hit this thing!

I will be playing the winner of this poll in two twelve hour chunks, until a) the game is beaten, b) time runs out, or c) I die/run out of coffee in the process. In between I'm going to pallet cleanse with some Cyberdwarf action, some King of All Cosmos denegration, and anything else I can fit in that time. And by anything, I probably mean Countdown Vampires.

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I'll go with Phantasy Star II since it's the one I remember the most.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jeffrud

@video_game_king: My first JRPG. A baby sitter left a CIB copy, clam shell and all, at my house when I was too little to really appreciate it. My family moved around so much since then that the damn thing has disappeared, which hurts my soul.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By sirdesmond

I think any but Metroid Prime would be pretty great. If memory serves, there isn't a lot of dialogue and other characters in Metroid Prime and I think those moments (and commenting on them) are a big part of endurance runs. Planescape gets my vote, but I'd be really happy with Ultima VII and Phantasy Star II as well.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirdesmond: I played through maybe a third of Planescape years ago, half of Metroid even farther in the past, and never made it far into PSII. The other three I'd be starting cold, for what that's worth. Seems like experiencing what is apparently the Greatest Story Ever Told(TM) of video games (Planescape) in this format might be weird, but FOR THE KIDS.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Metroid Prime probably wouldn't be a great game to spectate with commentary since it's primarily an immersive gameplay experience. Games with interesting characters to interact with and consequential choices to make would be most fun to watch, I think. RPGs can be good for this, as long as they aren't too plodding with cutscenes or grinding. Phantasy Star II might be a little too old-school grindy. The other games would all probably be fine picks.

I'm voting for Ultima VII, partly because I suspect it would meet the above criteria well, and partly because it's the only game in the poll I have yet to play myself, so it's the only one of these games I'd actually consider watching. :)

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Would have picked FFIX but I finished it in my younger days so Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne instead!

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savage: It also has one of the most iconic introductory sequences in all of gaming. Even if I don't wind up playing it, you should watch it for yourself and imagine how pant-shittingly insane that would have been in 1992.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

None of them? I just had to click a poll! I love polls!

(I picked one)

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jeffrud

@hellknightleon: I'm only upset that our polls don't default to CRUISE CONTROL FOR BADASSERY.

For anybody stumbling in here, fellow duders @moztacular and @fattony12000 are currently running similar polls for your enjoyment, here and here. If nothing else, the program is shaping up to have a nice range of content in it.

Loading Video...

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jeffrud

Nobody wants Phantasy Star II.

No Caption Provided

This poll will close at 1100 PDT before the show starts, so get your votes in, haters of classic Genesis titles!