Giant Bomb Android Application, now in Beta!

• 186 results
BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By BC_
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @jakob187 said:
" I'm still on 2.1, but I only get one news story on the news page nowadays.  The other stuff is working just fine, though.  However, like I said, I'm on 2.1 right now.  Whenever 2.2 finally gets an official release for Droid, I'm stuck here. "
Do you know when Droid gets the Froyo update?  "
I've heard late July to early August, but if it's anything like the 2.1 update then we'll be waiting till September, hehe
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#152  Edited By harris
@RoyaleWifCheese:  @jakob187: The app should work fine on 2.2, but I'll look into it further when I have a chance. For now, I can say that it works fine in the 2.2 emulator, so in theory the app is indeed 2.2 compatible. 

There have been some issues with the news feed on the site's side of things  (so the iPhone app also had the same problem) recently, as well as some reported video feed issues. They have been moving, so the issues probably have to do with that. As of now all app functionality seems to be working fine from what I can tell, though I did notice some discrepancies earlier today. Are either of you still having problems?

Thanks for reporting the issues!
agemyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#153  Edited By agemyth

Everything is working fine for me now. (EVO)

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese
@harris: Yes and no. Videos are back up but Reviews are still MIA. You're probably right,  I'm willing to bet it had something to do with the move. Last time I used the app was before I moved to 2.2, which was early last week. I'll check back in another couple of days after GB's servers have had time to settle into their new digs. All the other functions still work beautifully though. 

@The_Laughing_Man said: 

Today if you decide to root your device. :D
djjelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By djjelloman

Must say, great app. It's nice to see an Android app that's equal to the same iPhone app. Keep up the good work gang!

One thing though... Would it be possible to get video in higher quality? I'm assuming it's an API thing, but the in-house videos look like ass on the Evo. It'd be nice to have a higher quality option for the high res devices. But, that's a minor quibble.

Otherwise, great great job guys!!

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#156  Edited By Ujio

Sweet! I'm DLing this right now!

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By harris
@djjelloman:  Unfortunately the only video the API provides that is playable on Android is the one we show. Until Android supports FLV format videos or GB puts out higher quality videos in an Android playable format, we're stuck with the quality we have now. 

Thanks for all the comments, we really appreciate them :) 

We've been pretty busy lately, so the latest update is taking longer than expected. Sorry for the delays, we hope to have it out soon.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#158  Edited By jakob187
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @jakob187 said:
" I'm still on 2.1, but I only get one news story on the news page nowadays.  The other stuff is working just fine, though.  However, like I said, I'm on 2.1 right now.  Whenever 2.2 finally gets an official release for Droid, I'm stuck here. "
Right now, you can get the ROM for it over here at Tested.  I already installed the Froyo update.  It's fucking great.  Seriously, it feels like a completely new phone now!!!

UNFORTUNATELY, the Bombcast portion of the app won't work with the Froyo update on the Droid apparently.  I've started listening to the Bombcast on Google Listen anyways, as I've got all the Whiskey Media stuff on subscription with that now. 

Other than that, it's working fine still.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jakob187 said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @jakob187 said:
Right now, you can get the ROM for it over here at Tested.  I already installed the Froyo update.  It's fucking great.  Seriously, it feels like a completely new phone now!!! UNFORTUNATELY, the Bombcast portion of the app won't work with the Froyo update on the Droid apparently.  I've started listening to the Bombcast on Google Listen anyways, as I've got all the Whiskey Media stuff on subscription with that now.  Other than that, it's working fine still. "
But I am to lazy lol. Any idea when it will be fully released? 
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By jakob187
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @jakob187 said:
Right now, you can get the ROM for it over here at Tested.  I already installed the Froyo update.  It's fucking great.  Seriously, it feels like a completely new phone now!!! UNFORTUNATELY, the Bombcast portion of the app won't work with the Froyo update on the Droid apparently.  I've started listening to the Bombcast on Google Listen anyways, as I've got all the Whiskey Media stuff on subscription with that now.  Other than that, it's working fine still. "
But I am to lazy lol. Any idea when it will be fully released?  "
The OTAs have supposedly already started.  It should hit your phone before August 18th I would think, as that's when the Flash 10.1 player install is hitting Android Market.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By harris
@The_Laughing_Man: Flashing it manually is pretty easy. Manufacturers can take forever with those delays, so I wouldn't wait.
Kilo720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#162  Edited By Kilo720

Need Froyo & App2SD Support and Their a Bug where it Cuase My Phone To Reboot and Cant Control The Video No More Alway Force Close (Nexus One 2.2 & Mytouch 3g 1.6)

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By harris

Version 1.9 is released! 

Due to the announcement of the mobile site, this will probably be the last release for a while unless any major bugs come up.

FullmetalPopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By FullmetalPopo

My girlfriend is getting a droid in like a day and I'm definitely stealing it installing the app and hiding in a corner with it for hours now mwahahahaha

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By MeierTheRed

Getting it Tuesday as soon as my Desire arrives.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#166  Edited By dj

I too vouch for this apps awesomeness. All I could recommended is adding some profile integration in there. 

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By harris
@Dj: Thanks :D Profile integration would be really difficult since the API doesn't provide any access to profile stuff. The app is pretty much done as far as features go, since the new mobile site GB has developed pretty much obsoletes the app. 

Also, we've now surpassed 10,000 total installs! That's pretty good!
renachan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By renachan

Thank y'all very much for this app, I'm  with my phone way more then at a pc, and even with the droid 2 the site doesn't get along too well with the phones.

I have a droid x, family member has the droid 2 and so far been working okay. Only things that have come up is search doesn't search video, which means I get to scroll by hand.  Other thing is as of about an hour ago any video I try to load gives me the error "sorry, this video cannot be played."  

I 've rebooted and tried reinstalling the app even, but videos are still not working. Everything else does, just video is giving me issues :/ 

megaplushie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#169  Edited By megaplushie

The videos not working is a side effect of the changes made to the site for the subscription service. The iPhone app is borked, too. I think I saw that it should be fixed next week.

poserdonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By poserdonut

I have commited a fix to use the new mobile version of the videos instead, haven't tested it much but I'll tell Harris to check it out and publish a new version to Market if it seems to work.

Misfit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#171  Edited By Misfit

Hope the video is fixed soon.

poserdonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By poserdonut

I don't know if Harris has published a new version.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By harris
@Misfit: Sorry for the delay, the app is now fixed.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@harris: I downloaded the app, it is great! Might even drop in a small donation if I get some extra money! :D
Misfit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#175  Edited By Misfit

@harris Downloading it now. Thank you, sir.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By TheJohn

Very nice! I have a problem getting the bombcast to stream, but I'll keep shouting at it and maybe it'll correct it self. I'm on a HTC Desire 2.2
Everything else about this app is stellar, and I prefer it to the mobile site

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By TheJohn

Nevermind. I figured it out. Great app!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By jakob187

Sweet.  Mine didn't pop up and say an update was available, though.  Nonetheless, I had just figured that some stuff wouldn't be available anymore because of the membership stuff with the mobile site.  Guess that was not the case.  = D 

EDIT:  OH WOW!  I wonder how long this thing has looked this way!!!

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#179  Edited By Djratchet

I did not know you could long press videos to dl them. That is awesome. This app still continues to impress :)

ahappypanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By ahappypanda

I'm having issues with the Bombcast streaming on my Atrix.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By harris

Just when you thought it was dead forever... another update!

This time, high quality video support has been added. You can toggle it off (it's on by default) in preferences if you wish. Enjoy!

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#182  Edited By joey

sick app five stars

agemyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By agemyth

@harris: Both my HTC Evo 4G (various roms) and my Nook Color (CM7.1) have problems running the high quality videos. They will run fine for a bit, but eventually start to stutter. I'm not sure if it is buffering or something going on with the actual video processing. They are both overclocked, optimized to shit, and streaming over wifi, so I feel like I should be able to run them fine. :(

So long as this app functions enough to let me watch GB videos in mobile quality ITS NOT DEAD :)

edit: Going to attempt streaming the HQ video via the Whiskey Media Buddy app and watching on my Nook and report how that goes.

double edit: I'm a filthy liar. I just ran it fine in HQ on my Nook with both the Whiskey Media Video Buddy app and your app. I really thought I had this problem in the past though... If anything comes up I'll mention it, but until then you still have a great app :)

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#184  Edited By shinboy630

Thread revival time!!!

Anyway, just got a galaxy nexus (my first android phone), and was wondering if development on this thing was still going. It works pretty well from what I can tell (although high quality videos have problems from time to time) and I would love to see it advance more.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

You can play premium videos on this thing. Even if you're not a subscriber.

#narc

pedant_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By pedant_wolf

Hey,

In case anyone except me still uses this, I've fixed the videos to work with the new API. Bombcasts probably work but are untested. Source is available at https://github.com/jncr/GB-android and you can get the apk from github at https://github.com/jncr/GB-android/raw/master/giantbomb.apk . You'll probably need to uninstall the old version before installing this one, and it only streams in HQ.

I'm only a PHP developer so probably won't be doing any ongoing work on this, but if it breaks again I'll probably fix it again :)