Giant Bomb Android Application, now in Beta!

• 186 results
AlanLUFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By AlanLUFC
@harris: haha oh lord. I was looking at my RSS feed and did not realize all the recent posts were videos. #fail #epicfail #massivefail!!!! lol sorry about that! again! great work on the app! it is truly amazing!!
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By harris
@AlanFromOhio: No problem, thanks :) 

Also, to everyone, do you think the old icon was better? A few reviews in the market have requested the old one back. Personally, I think the new one is a lot nicer, but maybe I'm wrong. What do you think? For comparison: 
Old: 

New: 

I made the new one following the official android icon style guidelines.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@harris said:
What do you think?
I think you are right.
Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@harris said:

I made the new one following the official android icon style guidelines. "
I think it is better.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#105  Edited By jakob187
@harris: It think it's em-BOSS!  HUH?  HUH?  cwutididthar? 

Nonetheless, the app is still working like a dream.  You guys have really knocked it out of the park, and I don't think the GB community can thank you duders enough for your development of this fine application.
zanetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By zanetsu

Just tried it on my sister's HTC Desire, works like a dream. Now I'm 100% more interested in getting myself one as well. Thank you so much for making this.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#107  Edited By JJWeatherman

Awesome. Gettin' this. Will definitely leave a review.

Mo0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#108  Edited By Mo0
@harris said:
" @AlanFromOhio: No problem, thanks :) 

Also, to everyone, do you think the old icon was better? A few reviews in the market have requested the old one back. Personally, I think the new one is a lot nicer, but maybe I'm wrong. What do you think? For comparison: 
Old: 

New: 
     I made the new one following the official android icon style guidelines. "
The new one is a lot nicer.  The white border is kind of wonky on a dark background like what I use.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By jakob187
@harris:
Wanted to post this up:  I've been having trouble with videos running on my Droid right now.  It'll start to load, then stall and won't continue.  I don't know what the deal is.  My network connects to internet just fine, I've cleared my cache, and the rest of the app works fine as well.  I've restarted my phone once or twice since that time, and it's the same situation.  Any clue?
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By harris
@jakob187: Strange... it seems to be working fine on my Droid. Try again later and let me know if it persists.
vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By vendetta

This thing works perfectly on the moto droid. Bravo, gentlemen.

poserdonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By poserdonut

I can inform people that the app runs on a HTC Tattoo (QVGA). It doens't show up on the market place though since we needed to make a change in the code. But next time we push a new version it should show up. Meanwhile you can download the apk from the google code page and install it manually. 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok Mr Freeman. Where is out update? 
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By harris
@The_Laughing_Man said:
"
"
*Approaches to answer*, but G-man somehow disappears.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By harris

We'll be working on 1.0 in the near future.. expect a graphical revamp and other nice things :)

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harris said:
" We'll be working on 1.0 in the near future.. expect a graphical revamp and other nice things :) "
Define nice things! 
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By harris
@The_Laughing_Man: Things that are nice :)
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harris said:
" @The_Laughing_Man: Things that are nice :) "
Mmm well my droid is sitting right next to me..it needs more aps. 
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By harris
@The_Laughing_Man: Check out the marketplace, I hear it's good for that.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#120  Edited By JJWeatherman
@harris said:
" We'll be working on 1.0 in the near future.. expect a graphical revamp and other nice things :) "

Looking forward to it!
agemyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By agemyth

I will be getting an Android (HTC Evo) in the coming months and was starting to feel jealous of the GiantBomb iPhone app, so I googled for this and what do you know. Very glad to see a GB Android app and I look forward to downloading it as one of my first apps.

soralapio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#122  Edited By soralapio
@DanielJW said:
" Bump for this thread, Android users should be all over this! :) "
Oh I am. Just watched the latest I/O keynotes and ordered an HTC Legend. The second that baby gets here this is going on it.  

Really nice work with the app. Glanced over the sources and it looks like the Android is a joy to develop for.
Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#123  Edited By Clembo

The iPhone app is good but I wish I had a 3G not a 2G so it would browse faster.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By harris

I've uploaded the app to a few alternative markets including AndAppStore and SlideME. So if you're on a device that doesn't have official market access, try out one of those. You could still install it manually from the Google Code page, but you won't get updates automatically that way.

@agemyth said:

" I will be getting an Android (HTC Evo)"
Those things look amazing.. built-in kickstand! Let me know how the app runs on it :)

@soralapio said:
" the latest I/O keynotes "
Speaking of which.. the new announcement regarding Android are good news for the app. Expect it to run around twice as fast on Froyo, because of the new JIT compiler.

@Clembo said:
" The iPhone app is good but I wish I had a 3G not a 2G so it would browse faster. "
This thread is about the Android app, not the iPhone app.
drew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By drew
@soralapio said:
" @DanielJW said:
" Bump for this thread, Android users should be all over this! :) "
Oh I am. Just watched the latest I/O keynotes and ordered an HTC Legend. The second that baby gets here this is going on it.   Really nice work with the app. Glanced over the sources and it looks like the Android is a joy to develop for. "
We've actually had quite a lot of fun developing this app on Android, there's definitely a lot of easy tricks you can use to tie into the system services such as search and information sharing between apps which gives you a really functional app very quickly. Sharing a link which can be picked up by Gmail, Facebook or Twitter apps only takes a couple of lines of code. Just don't take our code as an example of how to make Android apps, it's mostly hacked together with sticky tape and chewing gum...
soralapio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By soralapio
@drew said: 
We've actually had quite a lot of fun developing this app on Android, there's definitely a lot of easy tricks you can use to tie into the system services such as search and information sharing between apps which gives you a really functional app very quickly. Sharing a link which can be picked up by Gmail, Facebook or Twitter apps only takes a couple of lines of code. Just don't take our code as an example of how to make Android apps, it's mostly hacked together with sticky tape and chewing gum... "  

Hey: if coding with tape and gum was wrong, I never would've been right.  Having used my new HTC Desire for a couple of days now (the app rocks, by the way. In my opinion it's even better than the iPhone app) I am awed by the layers and layers of integration going on in there. It just goes to show what a nice thing having a huge, centralized net presence like Google can be. Thank god they're a benevolent overlord, though... 

Anyway, if you dudes ever need a pair of fresh eyes for some code review or something, I'll definitely be up for it. 
s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By s7evn

Nice work

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By harris
@soralapio said:
Anyway, if you dudes ever need a pair of fresh eyes for some code review or something, I'll definitely be up for it.  "
That is certainly something we could use, there is a lot of room for improvement, especially in some of the older code. This was, after all, my first Android app. I'll send you a PM with some contact details if you're up for it! :D
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By harris

We now have over 3000 active installs! :D

1.0 is coming along quite nicely, just need to polish the UI a little more. It should be out somewhat soon.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#130  Edited By FCKSNAP
@harris said:
" We now have over 3000 active installs! :D "
Doubletwist says you guys are in the "5,000 to 10,000" range! 

I'm waiting for my contract to run out on my regular phone to get in on this android goodness.
Kahoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#131  Edited By Kahoona
@harris:  Any plans on making a paid version?  I'd like to support you guys with it.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#132  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@Snapstacle: I'm also waiting for my contract to run out. Sprint had originally told me that I was clear to get a new one and I was psyched because the Evo 4G was out. Turns out that there was a mix up and I have to wait until sometime in August/September... I was sad.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By harris
@Snapstacle said:
Doubletwist says you guys are in the "5,000 to 10,000" range!"

We have close to 7000 total installs, but the number of active installs is around 3200 now.

@Kahoona said:
" @harris:  Any plans on making a paid version?  I'd like to support you guys with it. "
Nope, I don't think it would be within the API terms of service for us to charge for an app that's solely used to browse the site. However, we do appreciate donations of any amount! Check out the first post for details on that. As I wrote there, keep in mind that the Giant Bomb staff are the ones who really make the app worthwhile, so consider buying a Giant Bomb t-shirt or something before donating to us. 
Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#134  Edited By Djratchet

Got my first android phone a week or so ago (The Motorola Devour) and I remembered seeing this thread MONTHS ago, so as soon as I got my hands on the thing, I downloaded the GB app. Great work guys, better than the iPhone version in my opinion! The only problem I saw in my own personal experience (and I'm sure it has been pointed out) is that if a news story has an embed of a GB video, the app doesn't exactly know what to do with it and just throws it in a discombobulated mess on the screen. Maybe the embeds could be changed when looking at it thru the app to maybe an image that links to where it is in the video tab, kinda how youtube vids work? I'm definitely not a coder, so I dunno if that is possible, but it would fix my ONLY complaint with the app in its current state.

Keep up the great work guys!

EDIT huh... it isn't happening anymore, but now nothing shows up where they should be... Once again, not a huge issue, probably not even a problem. but it bugged me

No Caption Provided
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By harris
@djratchet: I think video embeds used to work, but were broken by a site update somewhat recently. I'm pretty sure drew fixed them recently, so they should work again in the 1.0 release, which should be coming soon. Thanks for the comprehensive bug report!
Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Djratchet
@harris:  No problem! Thank you for helping make such a great app! I just wanted to help in any way I could :)
Innovacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Innovacious

Awesome, just got me an xperia x10 so i grabbed this app. 

I just left a video paused while i came here though and when the screen turned off (because i left it idle) the audio started playing again. Turning the screen back on resets the video :|

Audio goes out of sync aswell.

Otherwise, its still a great app.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Jared

Works fairly well on my Incredible, was watching some E3 videos today and they looked great.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Djratchet

Ok so, I was able to screen the aforementioned embed problem just to show what I am seeing. I know you said it has already been probably ironed out in the next version, but here you go

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By harris

We're aware of an issue where only the first news item is being displayed. This issue is on Giant Bomb's side of things, so hopefully they'll sort it out sooner or later. The same issue is affecting the iPhone app as well.

woodelf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#141  Edited By woodelf86

Thanks guys, i love this app it is amazing

Ghost407

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Ghost407

Just picked up this app too!  Freaking great!  Thanks!

agemyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By agemyth

Quick Looks, on my cell phone? Yes.

This is easily my favorite Android app. Just recently though under the news tab the app started displaying only one news post and it seems to be only the most recent one. All other sections show pages and pages of content. EVO 4G

Ghost407

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Ghost407
@agemyth said:
"Just recently though under the news tab the app started displaying only one news post and it seems to be only the most recent one. All other sections show pages and pages of content. EVO 4G "
Same here.  Using a Moto Droid.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By harris

I emailed Dave about the news feed issue, and he said that they'll try to fix it this morning.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Djratchet

The news feed seems to be back up and running now

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese

I can't see videos or reviews anymore. Part of that may have to do with the fact that I'm running rooted 2.2 now on my Droid. If that's the case, are there plans to add Froyo support?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By jakob187

I'm still on 2.1, but I only get one news story on the news page nowadays.  The other stuff is working just fine, though. 

However, like I said, I'm on 2.1 right now.  Whenever 2.2 finally gets an official release for Droid, I'm stuck here.

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#149  Edited By EnchantedEcho

Great, I'm looking at buying a HTC Legend later on this year, now I can get my Giant Bomb fix thanks to you guys, really appriciate the work you are doing.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:
" I'm still on 2.1, but I only get one news story on the news page nowadays.  The other stuff is working just fine, though.  However, like I said, I'm on 2.1 right now.  Whenever 2.2 finally gets an official release for Droid, I'm stuck here. "
Do you know when Droid gets the Froyo update?