Giant ROM - The Giant Bomb Game Jam
Welcome to the first (I guess?) Giant Bomb themed game jam! Since we're keeping it simple, there are just a few guidelines:
- START: March 28th (don't start working before then)
- END: April 5th (be sure to submit your game before that day ends)
- Any theme goes, so long as it's related to Giant Bomb in some way
- Do what you want, but please try not to be too crude or offensive -
be a Giant Bomber, not a Giant Bummer!
So that's March 28th to April 5th - 9 days total, which includes two weekends. Hopefully that's enough to let as many people as possible make some really cool, really stupid games!
THERE MAY BE FABULOUS PRIZES MAKING THEIR WAY TO THE WINNERS!
Any means necessary! Zoë Quinn's awesome sortingh.at site points to a ton of useful (and sometimes free!) resources for making games. Anybody can make a game! Heck, even me! :D
PixelProspector's Make Games site is also chock-full of tools and resources!
Handy Tools to Check Out
Anything is fair game! Not sure what to use? Here are some suggestions!
- Construct 2 (free version available, also on Steam!)
- Game Maker (free version available, also on Steam!)
- Clickteam's Multimedia Fusion (free version available here: http://www.clickteam.com/clickteam-fusion-2-5-free-edition/)
- ZX Spectrum game makers, in case you want to bring Jeff's ZX Spectrum game ideas to life [2D Game Maker] [3D Game Maker] (3D just means isometric in this case).
- Stencyl (free version available)
- Make A Game With No Experience, by Tom Francis (maker of Gunpoint)
Some wonderful users have made content available to help get your silly game started!
- Hamster Alliance music, free of charge (thanks, Hamst3r!)
- SFXR, a nifty tool for making 8-bit sounds! (thanks for the reference, Roger Wilco!)
- Kenney's wonderful asset packs, to give you some graphics! (thanks for the reference, gravytrain!)
I'll be hosting the jam on itch.io, which has a terrific game jam feature! Everybody will be able to post their creations there, add them to the jam, and enter their team's details at the same time. There's even an integrated ranking system!
Are There Fabulous Prizes?
All participants will be able to rate the submissions using some GB-appropriate parameters, but all in good fun - this isn't meant to be a highly structured thing. There just may be cool things in store for the submissions that stand out in some way, so make that crazy thing you're thinking of!
Wait, What About the Cool Games That People Made Already?
Giant ROM Zero is live! If you've already made a game with a Giant Bomb theme, throw it in! This isn't the actual jam, just a place for games that were made before today!
Organize in the comments and put your team together if you don't have one, so that when the jam begins, you're all set! Keep in mind it's also totally fine to make a game by yourself if you want to, no pressure!
See you when the jam begins! :D