Giant ROM - The Giant Bomb Game Jam

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#101  Edited By kewlsnake

Whoah, you guys are making some pretty crazy stuff. I'm looking forward to it.

@mattyftm said:

I'm pretty sure the entirety of Typing of the Dead's dictionary integration is via Steamworks. There isn't, as far as I can tell, a way to just share a dictionary file outside of Steam. So I won't have anything to actually submit to itch.io and officially enter the gamejam. But it's still a cool little thing that I'm sure people will enjoy. I'll probably release the first version tomorrow.

I'm not sure if the steamworks stuff works that way but you can just place a text file (.txt) in "Typing of the Dead Overkill\DLC" and it will work. An user posted this "unofficial feature" in the forums months ago before there was ever support for Steam Workshop. It might have been accessible since the release of the game :D Sneaky devs!

EDIT: aww, it seems they have removed that functionality, that's unfortunate.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Glad to see some other people's works-in-progress. Keep going! We still have a little under half of the time left.

Update on the board game - I have a friend coming over tonight to hopefully play test the mechanics for anything completely broken or wonky. That means I have to keep booking on creating the game components with the mechanics and stats I wrote in my spreadsheets. I have decided to add Flavor Text in place of pictures to the OP cards to save on ink (if anyone prints this out other than me) and to save time on wrangling images.

Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

So I finally got an idea and started to implement it a couple of nights ago. I don't want too give to much away but here's a screenshot (which might actually give too much away).

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm working on 'a thing', which has nothing but flat colour placeholder graphics thus far and so no screenshot, but is starting to get some semblance of gameplay (there's a score that goes up if you do the right thing!)...

I only started on Wednesday night and I'm super easily distracted, so who knows how complete I'll be able to get this, but I wanted to ask... does anyone have any of the classic tricaster animations (or know where to get them)? I'm thinking of the 'falling dollar signs' and maybe that horrible generic explosion. Googling 'falling dollar signs' gets some animations which are kinda similar, but if I could get the real deal that would obviously be better.

malestrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I am a bit late to the game but I will still try to submit something.

Really glad this thing exists.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Sinusoidal
Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jixashauser: Dan Themed Dating Sim. You gave too much away :)

Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Jixashauser

@planetfunksquad: Shit. I mean...no that's definitely not it...Well, hopefully people will still like it. If I can finish it on time that is!

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

Working on something myself slower than I hoped. Making a platformer is tougher than I thought. Just all this finicky stuff about animations and attack sprites. Hopefully I have something semi-game like by deadline. If not, well... Getting something to jump around is surprisingly satisfying regardless.

PROGRAM_IX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was gonna make a quiz game using Twine, and then I was gonna make one using Phaser, and now I've got something working in plain JS/jQuery but I need more questions and it looks terrible. Hrmph.

Maybe I should do that soundboard after all.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

The deadline is approaching rapidly but I got the main mechanics working on my game! :D Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to put in sound and art before time runs out.

malestrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By malestrom
No Caption Provided

Well my sprites suck but I got the start of a game.

There is a stealth system, some basic AI, and you can shoot a pistol.

The world may not be ready for MetalGearScanlon:Rise of the GFB

tovan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By tovan
No Caption Provided

I put up what I was able to make yesterday. I'm pretty happy with how this dumb thing turned out, considering I didn't have a ton of time to work on it and had to wrap it up a few days early.

Metal Gear Scanlon: The Game. Join Drew as he crawls through the Giant Bomb office collecting copies of Metal Gear Solid along the way. Don't be spotted and win Dan's $5.

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for Metal Gear Scanlon: The Game. It's fantastic.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tovan: That is a surprisingly accurate recreation of their office.

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By GerbilsInSpace
No Caption Provided

Introducing Chomped! a infinite runner about chomping puppies!

Hints: Space is the only key you need! there is a double jump (Well, only sometimes as I'm terrible.)

While I am trying to figure out why the player occasionally falls through the world, you guys can go ahead and set your own high scores. Enjoy!

EDIT: Removed it while I fix that bug, it is more prevalent than I thought. Only seems to have appeared when I switched over to unity web player. STAY TUNED

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Game's done!

No Caption Provided

"I'm A Wizard, and..." is a game where... well, it's not as much a game as just a sandbox where you can cast awesome spells and... *ahem* fuck up the world pretty bad. If you hadn't guessed it already, it's a callback to an old Bombcast joke about wizards, and... let's just say that it's definitely true in this game. Have fun!

And thanks to @dougonomics for the music! (And shoutout to @steparnicus for the Saint's Row vs Bombcast theme)

I made this along with a friend who isn't a giant bomb duder, but we had a lot of fun making it, and I hope you'll enjoy playing it as well! :D

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#119  Edited By Jeldh

There is a newer version of Sfxr called Bfxr, I really recommend it. its really fun to just sit around randomizing sounds with it.

http://www.bfxr.net/

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I thought I fixed the bug but then it happened again, so I'm releasing chomped as a download only game. I'm really sorry for the hassle, but hopefully the better experience will make up for the downloading. Here you go!

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chronologist You game looks cool! Unfortunately on my mac it seems that click doesn't do anything in the web version. Would you be able to export a mac version and I'll test it and play for you?

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gerbilsinspace: Huh, that's weird. dunno why that is. There's a mac build up there now too, does that work for you?

But thanks for the interest!

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By GerbilsInSpace

Whoops never mind, now I downloaded the mac version I realise it was because I hadn't picked up a spell yet. the mac version works flawlessly, and your game is really good! :D

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Zeg

Woo, I'm done.

No Caption Provided

Welcome to Vinny Caravella's Cable Manager 2013*!

Be the man, the legend... yank those cables out and put new ones in.

Featuring the 'oh god totally impossible' TriCaster Time!

Not featuring: balance, better than average graphics, scene transitions.

There were things I imagined but couldn't put in (in time, or without much more effort), like additional 'versions' of TriCaster Time. Also the colour changing is a simplified blend method, so I couldn't make 'black and white' as I originally wanted (I didn't want to get into shader programming... looked like it would take too long).

*No offence to Drew and indeed Jason, who of course are the cable managers nowadays. I'm just oldschool, I always think of Vinny... plus I used audio of an old UPF of 2013, so there you go.

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tovan: Awesome game, but there's one small inaccuracy; Dan would never bet on anything he wasn't sure to win, and especially not with his own money!

@gerbilsinspace: I can't open the windows zip of your game :( 7zip says it's not an archive or something.

@zeg: Um, I think I found a bug. Or is this just Vinny vision mode?

No Caption Provided

You also might want to think about making your game more colorblind friendly. Since I think the yellow/green lights could cause some issues there.

dylanseaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By dylanseaman

Alright, I've finished mine, and I'm ready to share what it is.

AIR FORCE GATOR.

Play as Air Force Gator, fighting your way through terrorists to get back your Gator Plane.

*thunk*
*thunk*

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finished "Curse of the Mountain Man" with 20 hours to spare. I use the term "finished" loosely. I did manage to test it a couple of times. It came out alright.

Crispy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna pull an all-nighter to try to finish up our submission. Still got a ton of work left to do!

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Next year. I try again next year...

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha wow, those games are crazy. The only one I still need to take a closer look at is the "Choose your own Quicklook" one.

@gerbilsinspace: Is it possible that the zip file with the windows version of your game is corrupted? I downloaded it twice and it kept telling me it can't open the archive.

@chronologist: I wasn't able to get the offline version for windows to work. It gave me the error message "There should be 'ImAWizardAnd..._Data' folder next to the executable". Web version worked fine though and it's probably the most crazy one I played thusfar :D

@zeg: I have a new found respect for Vinny/Drew/Jason after playing that. At first I had some trouble figuring out that you needed to drag the cables downscreen to remove them.

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kewlsnake, @icyeyes, I'm really sorry about the windows version being broken. I've uploaded a new version, looks much better. I don't have any way to check if it works, but I opened the zip file on my mac and it opened fine. Please let me know if there are any issues.

This dumb game has been more trouble than it is worth, so far.

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gerbilsinspace: Thank you, it works now. This one is probably the most gruesome entry of the jam thusfar! Matt Rorie would not approve of this hardcore puppy violence.

GerbilsInSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By GerbilsInSpace

@kewlsnake Thanks for lettimg me know it works, my virtual machine detests it. I can enjoy my easter with peace now. :)

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't play Metal Gear Scanlon: Return of the GFB because there doesn't seem to be a game there yet, just a game page. It's the only one I haven't tried out yet. I spent the most time with CYOQL and have only gotten one ending so far. Not a good one at that. Beware the vending machine! I'm a Wizard is great and random as fuck. The first Metal Gear Scanlon: I beat first try without being spotted thank you very much. It took me some time to get a handle on the controls for VCCM, but I scored 32100 first try anyway. Seems generous. Air Force Gator - while a bit rough around the edges (what game jam game isn't?) - is pretty generous with the amount of leeway it gives you for getting shot and for aiming at guys. Vinny's Head is, well, Vinny's head. I actually chose every wrong answer before I chose the right one.

Good stuff so far. I hope we get a few more in the next 17 hours.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Home stretch time! :D Hopefully just enough to add the final art and some tweaks.

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icyeyes: If there's a bug with the colour changing, it's probably because I didn't really test all cases. Also, I was 100% certain that someone would point out how absolutely awful the whole thing would be for colourblindness... really, I can see all the colour and those LEDs are still next to useless and everything is still so frantic you aren't likely to notice the yellow phase anyway.

@kewlsnake: Yeah, I kinda missed cable disposal out of my 'instructions' screen... could have made the zone more obvious as well (also it draws under the cables half the time which doesn't help).

@sinusoidal: It's not quite pinball table scoring generous heh. Maximum scoring is 2000 points per second, so 180000 absolute maximum in total. Of course, that's literally impossible, with cables constantly dying and to get maximum 'alignment' score on a cable you'd need to get them pixel perfectly straight over all 3 'segments'.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to try all of the great looking stuff so far. I have to finish writing my rules document today. We're hosting Easter family festivities though so hopefully people don't overstay their welcome. Haha.

Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, all of this looks super cool! Hopefully mine will be done in time!

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Here's my dumb thing: Flight Club! It's pretty much done, but I need to fix a couple of bugs and source some basic audio so I won't have it up until later this evening.

No Caption Provided

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Done! Because I can't help myself with pun-based game themes, my ludicrous submission is BRAKING BRAD!

Build the best bradmobile you can - high speeds get high scores, but you get nothing if you can't stop in time!

No Caption Provided

Keep up the awesome work everyone! :D

IcyEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By IcyEyes

@crispy: Don't kill yourself dude! My "pro tip" to everyone in crunch time right now is to not be afraid to cut anything that's slowing you down or not working. Nothing is sacred in game development, and there's always next time. I think just getting something released is better than not releasing anything at all. Making games is hard anyway, so just try to have fun with it!

@gerbilsinspace: It now works for me too and I think its a great. Sorry for all your trouble, but I do appreciate that you made something so neat for the Jam.

@fobwashed: Cool. You can now add those to the Giant ROM Zero easily, by going there and clicking "Submit your game". I would also suggest uploading your game files to the site for easy access.

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Chronologist

@kewlsnake: oh, damn. whoops. that was a dumb mistake :P Should be up and working shortly. And thanks!

EDIT: It's up now. Pretty sure that one works.

Oh, man all of these are super great you guys :D

malestrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#146  Edited By conmulligan

Flight Club is live! I didn't get as many obstacles in as I'd like and the controls could be a bit tighter, but at least it's playable. Look forward to checking out everyone else's work!

Jixashauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Jixashauser

I did it! Well, I did something. Dan Ryckert's Dating Simulator is now live on the itch.io site. There's not a whole lot to it but hopefully some of you are able to live out your dreams of dating Dan now without actually having to harass the poor man in person.

No Caption Provided

mrflibble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#148  Edited By mrflibble

I submitted my game Giant Bomb Metal Gear Tetris Battle Gaiden, but I can't finish it in time. Doing this has been really helpful as I have had a hard time sticking to projects in the past. I lost sometime starting an idea for a game then giving up on it. I finally got over that problem and manage to stick with a game idea for the last couple of days.

Hopefully I'll have an easier time sticking with projects now.

I'm going to keep working on my game and hopefully have a complete game before too long.

No Caption Provided
malestrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

They see me rolling they hating.

Really fun game and thanks for organizing the game jam.

zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malestrom: Thank you so much! Glad to see so many awesome games come out of it! :D