• 72 results
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By harris
Staff: If you don't like this, please let me know, I will take it down right away. Please don't block my API key since it's also used for the Android app. If you are ok with it and would like to host the script, please let me know.

So, much like with the Android app I made, I saw a few people asking for an iTunes feed for GiantBomb videos and I wanted one myself. So I made one. Here it is: 
http://feeds.feedburner.com/GiantbombVideos

Update 5/10/11

After months of not working, I've finally fixed this. It should now work as normal.

The videos will play in iTunes and on any iPods you sync it to. I haven't tested it on iPods other than the iPod touch, though. It should work on any other podcast software, too. The videos it fetches are the same ones the iPhone app uses, so the quality isn't as good as the videos from the site. Still looks pretty good, though.

To add it to your iTunes Podcasts, click this link.

In case that doesn't work for you:
  1. Go to your podcasts.
  2. Press "Advanced" on the menu bar at the top.
  3. Press "Subscribe to Podcast...".
  4. Paste in the URL,    http://feeds.feedburner.com/GiantbombVideos
  5. Hit OK.
  6. Enjoy amazing GiantBomb videos.
If the staff is alright with this and people ask for it, I might make separate feeds in addition to this one, for different types of videos.  

Things it's been tested on so far: 
  • iPod
  • Zune
  • Various Desktop Players 

Let me know how it works on your device! 

Miro Feed

I've made a separate higher quality feed designed specifically for Miro. The videos in this feed are higher quality and have thumbnails. Add this feed to your miro: 
http://feeds.feedburner.com/GiantBombMiro
  It looks pretty nice in miro! 

\ 
More about miro here:   http://www.getmiro.com/
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

nice job! i just tried it with my zune hd and it works great.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By harris
@wasteguru said:

" nice job! i just tried it with my zune hd and it works great. "

Sweet, glad to hear it works on zune, too.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Karmum
@wasteguru said:
This works with Zune HD? 

Incredible release, dude. Can't wait to pick up my Zune HD, whenever that is!
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By harris
@Karmum said:
" @wasteguru said:
This works with Zune HD?   Incredible release, dude. Can't wait to pick up my Zune HD, whenever that is! "
Yup, I think it does.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Afroman269

Works great. Good job!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Karmum

Trying it with iTunes, and it works. Pretty awesome stuff! Not going to lie though, I'd probably never use this with iTunes, but it's good for people that would! Glad to know this works with Zunes though, so I can do this whenever I buy a Zune HD.

I pretty much just watch the videos when they go up and never check them out again. What I did notice is that the quality isn't too great, but is that from the video?

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

you should get a picture for the podcast feed

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By harris
@Karmum said:
" Trying it with iTunes, and it works. Pretty awesome stuff! Not going to lie though, I'd probably never use this with iTunes, but it's good for people that would! Glad to know this works with Zunes though, so I can do this whenever I buy a Zune HD.  I pretty much just watch the videos when they go up and never check them out again. What I did notice is that the quality isn't too great, but is that from the video? "
Yea, the videos it fetches are the iPhone formatted ones, so the quality isn't as good as the ones on the site. I made this mostly for use with portable media players like iPods, not desktop players.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By harris
@wasteguru said:
" you should get a picture for the podcast feed "
I'll add features after I find out if the staff is ok with this.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Pazy

Even though I dont use an Ipod etc. (though I might see how my PSP likes it) ive hooked Opera into it so I can save bandwidth since for most games the extra quality dosent mean much to me. Thanks dude :)

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By harris
@Pazy said:
" Even though I dont use an Ipod etc. (though I might see how my PSP likes it) ive hooked Opera into it so I can save bandwidth since for most games the extra quality dosent mean much to me. Thanks dude :) "
Hm, interesting use, didn't think of that.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

Harris...you're amazing, sir.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Ahhhhh!!!!! Yessss!!!!!!!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karmum
@harris said:
" @Pazy said:
" Even though I dont use an Ipod etc. (though I might see how my PSP likes it) ive hooked Opera into it so I can save bandwidth since for most games the extra quality dosent mean much to me. Thanks dude :) "
Hm, interesting use, didn't think of that. "
What about mobile phones that aren't either the iPhone or an Android platform? I know my friend has a Verizon phone that gets on the web and watches videos. Chances are it wouldn't work on that?
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By harris
@Karmum: That depends on what kind of video formats that phone supports. 

@jakob187: Thank you sir :)
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pazy

Ill throw one of videos onto my (fully updated) PSP to see if it supports it so you can add it to your feature list :)

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Psynapse

Very nice, i might go back and watch the endurance run now... Seeing as though i have a hour long commute to and from work every day...

Nice work OP!

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By harris
@Pazy said:
"

Ill throw one of videos onto my (fully updated) PSP to see if it supports it so you can add it to your feature list :)

"
That would be appreciated, thanks.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By harris
@Psynapse said:
" Very nice, i might go back and watch the endurance run now... Seeing as though i have a hour long commute to and from work every day...  Nice work OP! "
Currently, it only lists the last 25 videos, so that watching the endurance run wouldn't work. Once I get staff approval, I'll add features like this.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pazy
@harris said:
" @Pazy said:
"

"
That would be appreciated, thanks. "

Putting it in the /VIDEO folder (the current folder that the PSP likes) shows up as "Unsupported Data". The videos on gamespot listed as "Ipod" videos are supported on PSP so ill go find out what they are to see if its something you could use.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By harris
@Pazy said:
" @harris said:
" @Pazy said:
"

"
Putting it in the /VIDEO folder (the current folder that the PSP likes) shows up as "Unsupported Data". The videos on gamespot listed as "Ipod" videos are supported on PSP so ill go find out what they are to see if its something you could use. "
Sadly there's not much I can change. All I can do is make a nice xml file for podcast  aggregators to look at and be able to list and download videos from the GiantBomb servers. I can't really change the video files themselves.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pazy
@harris said:
" @Pazy said:
" @harris said:
" @Pazy said:
"

"
Putting it in the /VIDEO folder (the current folder that the PSP likes) shows up as "Unsupported Data". The videos on gamespot listed as "Ipod" videos are supported on PSP so ill go find out what they are to see if its something you could use. "
Sadly there's not much I can change. All I can do is make a nice xml file for podcast  aggregators to look at and be able to list and download videos from the GiantBomb servers. I can't really change the video files themselves. "
Where do the .mp4 videos come from? I usually download the .flv from the .xml attached to the video page.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By harris
@Pazy said:
" @harris said:
" @Pazy said:
" @harris said:
" @Pazy said:
"

"
Sadly there's not much I can change. All I can do is make a nice xml file for podcast  aggregators to look at and be able to list and download videos from the GiantBomb servers. I can't really change the video files themselves. "
Where do the .mp4 videos come from? I usually download the .flv from the .xml attached to the video page. "
They are on the GiantBomb servers too, but they're not publicly listed anywhere.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pazy
@harris said:
" @Pazy said:
" @harris said:
" @Pazy said:
" @harris said:
" @Pazy said:
"

"
Where do the .mp4 videos come from? I usually download the .flv from the .xml attached to the video page. "
They are on the GiantBomb servers too, but they're not publicly listed anywhere. "

EIther they are doing it for themselves or perhaps that means they planned/are planning this for their Ipod app. Since its not you making them you cant changed it but either way I think I found the problem, the PSP only accepts certain resolutions (though it supports .mp4 itself) and gamespot gives video at a resolution which PSP likes but also Ipods (though its slightly lower quality than the giant bomb ones).

The Giant Bomb .mp4's seem to list as: 480*270

The Gamespot .mp4's seem to lsit as: 320*180

Hopefully one of the video production guys will read this and can hopefully look into making the files publically accesable and in a form that more media devices can use.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By harris
@Pazy said:
" @harris said:
" @Pazy said:
" @harris said:
" @Pazy said:
" @harris said:
" @Pazy said:
"

"
They are on the GiantBomb servers too, but they're not publicly listed anywhere. "

EIther they are doing it for themselves or perhaps that means they planned/are planning this for their Ipod app. Since its not you making them you cant changed it but either way I think I found the problem, the PSP only accepts certain resolutions (though it supports .mp4 itself) and gamespot gives video at a resolution which PSP likes but also Ipods (though its slightly lower quality than the giant bomb ones).

The Giant Bomb .mp4's seem to list as: 480*270

The Gamespot .mp4's seem to lsit as: 320*180

Hopefully one of the video production guys will read this and can hopefully look into making the files publically accesable and in a form that more media devices can use.

"
Yea, that was my guess as to why it didn't play.  Unfortunately I doubt they'll release videos in a more accessible format, seeing as they haven't even technically released the ones this feed uses, they were just intended for the iPhone app :P 

You can always transcode the videos, though.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Snail

This is great!

And you! Yes, you! You are awesome!

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By harris

I have changed the feed address, please see OP for details. Sorry for the inconvenience. It won't be changing again.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I would also love to have separate feeds for different videos (Quick look, reviews, TANG, Endurance run, etc...)

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#30  Edited By Forcen

I thought about this when i when i tried out Miro the other day, i had to use the Giantbomb Youtube account.

http://www.getmiro.com/

Thanks a million!

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By harris
@Forcen said:
" I thought about this when i when i tried out Miro the other day, i had to use the Giantbomb Youtube account.

Thanks a million! "
Hmm, I wonder if miro plays FLV files. If it does, I could make an FLV feed so it looks nicer. I may look into that.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By harris
@harris said:
" @Forcen said:
" I thought about this when i when i tried out Miro the other day, i had to use the Giantbomb Youtube account.

Thanks a million! "
Hmm, I wonder if miro plays FLV files. If it does, I could make an FLV feed so it looks nicer. I may look into that. "
Looks like it does, I'll make an FLV feed later tonight or tomorrow.
Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Forcen
@harris: Awsome, here are some more info to make the feeds compatible with miro.
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fbomb

Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking of creating something for the PSP to show GB content. After deciding to surf the web on my PSP the other night before sleep, I noticed the site was definitely NOT optimized in any way to view on a portable device with limited memory. I've been thinking of creating a GiantBomb media-lite site to rectify this. Probably pretty niche, but something that I'd like to use nonetheless.

Skye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Skye

This is sweet. Retarded question coming up but i'm tired so it's allowed =P

Clicked subscribe and it automatically downloaded the gravity crash ql. What if i want old stuff that's already been released?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Forcen
@Skye: What software are you using? You should be able to browse old videos from the feed.
Skye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Skye
@Forcen: Itunes but don't worry i found them. Thanks anyway.
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By harris
@Fbomb said:
" Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking of creating something for the PSP to show GB content. After deciding to surf the web on my PSP the other night before sleep, I noticed the site was definitely NOT optimized in any way to view on a portable device with limited memory. I've been thinking of creating a GiantBomb media-lite site to rectify this. Probably pretty niche, but something that I'd like to use nonetheless. "
Sounds like a nice idea, but you probably won't be able to load any kind of video, at least without transcoding it. You might want to take a look at some early iPhone web apps people made before the iPhone app was around, like this one:  http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/api-developers/3017/ibomb-or-something-like-that/230852/?
Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Chokobo

Thanks a ton!  Break time at work will never be the same again!

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By bwooduhs

You sir are a legend. Thanks so much.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Chokobo

The one thing I would like to see is separate feeds for Quick Looks, Reviews, and promo videos sent out by companies.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By harris
@Forcen: Miro feed added, it looks pretty nice :D   

http://feeds.feedburner.com/GiantBombMiro 

\     
Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Forcen
@harris: Awesome, works great!:D
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By Ineedaname

You efforts to this site are awesome.
You must have alot of free time, and most of what you make seems pretty solid. If I never had an Iphone..........

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#45  Edited By citizenkane

Awesome job.  I'm trying Miro right now.  ^__^

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By harris

Main feed has a small error and may not update correctly. Working on fixing it.

harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By harris
@harris said:
" Main feed has a small error and may not update correctly. Working on fixing it. "
Problem is now fixed.
Daggith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Daggith

Cool stuff. Harris is a pretty awesome dude.

ZombieJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ZombieJesus
@harris: Great job
harris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers