GotG Round 1: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves vs. Far Cry 3

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

Poll GotG Round 1: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves vs. Far Cry 3 (660 votes)

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves 73%
Far Cry 3 27%

Main thread

Full bracket

This is a doozy. The nature of a knockout bracket means there'll be some harsh pairing and this is certainly one of them.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2009)

What the community has to say:

Uncharted 2 consistently plays at a level of fun and excitement that most games don't reach for a minute. As much as your brain will try to shield you from the scorn of hype, believe it: this is one of the best adventure games to ever be put together. I absolutely loved the single player, and to my surprise, the multiplayer is awesome as well. Between all of its modes, extras, and sheer quality, you'll probably be spending a lot of time with this game, for months to come. It's amazing what can be done in just two years; in that time, Naughty Dog took a great game and shined it into one of the greatest adventures in gaming. To make a long story short; you need to play this game.

From user review by @scheds

Far Cry 3 (2012)

What the community has to say:

This is the game that I wish Turok had been at its 2008 reboot, and while that beloved series of my childhood is defunct at present I feel that Far Cry 3 has filled that void for me by giving me a new shooter with incredible animal life and enemies. This is a stunning achievement, and I would heartily recommend it to anyone with the slightest interest in shooters or open world games.

From user review by @thesilentgod

Voting closes at midnight GMT / 4pm PST Saturday

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Uncharted 2 is one of my top 10 games of the whole generation, Far Cry 3 is not.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Kinda wish there was a see result option since I haven't played either of these but still want to see where the results go. Don't want to dilute the poll though.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Uncharted 2 was some great third-person shootin, amazing set-pieces, an acceptable story for an action romp, all carried along by well-written, well performed characters and a whole lot of polish. The blue guys weren't much fun to fight, but they weren't around for long anyways.

All around one of the most impressive games for this gen, and one of the few games I was willing to play and beat and higher difficulties.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Far Cry 3 is pretty cool but nah, dawg.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rpgee

I actually don't particularly like either of these games, but I recognise just how stunning Uncharted 2 was. It's worthy of being picked.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

The only thing FC has in its favour is random tiger attacks clearing out bases for you. Although that is a compelling argument, I have to go with Uncharted

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I didn't play UC2 but I voted for it because I *haaaaaaaate* the story and protagonist from FC3

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nathan Drake has a thick head of hair. I like that.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of all time and although I like the game, Far Cry 3 doesn't compare in my mind.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@negativecero: I'm going to put all the results in the main thread after each poll is finished.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a brutal one... While I would say Uncharted 2 right away, the direction this generation has gone has really put me off those kinda games. I really enjoyed both of them when I played them, but looking back FC3 has more of a lasting appeal. It's really a case of "do I judge them by todays standards, or by the standards at their launch?". To be honest I think I'd say FC3 is a better game, but I'm still gonna vote Uncharted 2.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

No offense to Far Cry, but Uncharted 2 is one of the best action games of the generation. Mindblowing when it released and I wasn't expecting much.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

It should be Far Cry 3. It won't be, but it should be.

Uncharted can be fun but it's just really cinematic and rigid. Enemies are bullet sponges, even smaller ones, for no real reason, and the gunplay by itself is usually just meh. Far Cry 3 is actually mechanically interesting and fun to play. I'd play Far Cry 3 without a story (in fact, it might have been better with less plot) or set pieces. It needs no cinematic views to be interesting.

EDIT: Well... on second thought, playing Far Cry 3 on consoles is such a pain. I'll agree that you shouldn't judge a game on graphics and performance, but when your game can't even keep 30 then something is really wrong. I'm still OK with handing it to Far Cry 3 because from a design perspective it's way better, but if I had thought about its performance issues before voting then I might have held off.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Far Cry 3 < Uncharted 2 < Far Cry 2

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Uncharted 2... has got to be one of the best games ever. When that thing came out, man was I impressed.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 2 inspired so many game design choices after it's release I have to vote for it.

At the time, I had never seen anything quite like it.

On the other hand, the Far Cry 3 experience (while obviously very good) could roughly be found elsewhere.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Dudebro McDouchebag versus Cavalier Mass Murderer

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i know whats going to win but I am voting for the better game anyway, and no in my opinion the winner isn't the better game.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RonGalaxy

I dont get why random games are being put up against each other and one gets completely knocked out of the running when the other wins. What if farcry 3 isnt as good as uncharted but is better than other games to put it on a top 10 list (not saying that's my feelings, just hypothetical)?

EX: lets say Rock Band and Super Mario Galaxy win their brackets. The next bracket is them up against eachother. These are 2 heavy hitting games, 2 of the very best this generation has to offer, and 1 will get knocked out in the second round. Seems silly that someone would take the time to formulate a list that isnt really fair

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont get why random games are being put up against each other and one gets completely knocked out of the running when the other wins. What if farcry 3 isnt as good as uncharted but is better than other games to put it on a top 10 list (not saying that's my feelings, just hypothetical)?

EX: lets say Rock Band and Super Mario Galaxy win their brackets. The next bracket is them up against eachother. These are 2 heavy hitting games, 2 of the very best this generation has to offer, and 1 will get knocked out in the second round. Seems silly that someone would take the time to formulate a list that isnt really fair

While I do think a double elimination bracket would be better, I am also not putting in the time or effort in designing what comes down to a meaningless poll on an internet forum.

Fun? Yes.

S'thupper Serial? Nah.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbdoeden said:

@naru_joe93 said:

While I do think a double elimination bracket would be better, I am also not putting in the time or effort in designing what comes down to a meaningless poll on an internet forum.

Fun? Yes.

S'thupper Serial? Nah.

I dont know, wouldnt you be interested in seeing a genuine top ten list created by the community? I would

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

@believer258: Nice to know I'm not the only person who thought this about the Uncharted games. Man, are they pretty and have well-acted and interesting characters, but that gunplay is TERRIBLE. I've never understood how everyone can think it's so good. I really hope Naughty Dog makes something that isn't a shooter next, because I really dislike their style of shooting.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I reluctantly choose UC2. Far Cry 3 was a lot of fun and not nearly as frustrating as Uncharted 2 was, but at the same time it definitely didn't have the same kind of impact Uncharted did when it came out.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@believer258: Nice to know I'm not the only person who thought this about the Uncharted games. Man, are they pretty and have well-acted and interesting characters, but that gunplay is TERRIBLE. I've never understood how everyone can think it's so good. I really hope Naughty Dog makes something that isn't a shooter next, because I really dislike their style of shooting.

Well, I mean this guy

@hailinel said:

dislikes it more than I do. Though, both games feature cavalier mass murderers, it's just that Far Cry 3's cavalier mass murderer both acknowledges his new found hobby and lives in a worthwhile game.

I distinctly remember you, Hailinel, saying that your interest in Uncharted could be measured in the negatives in that GTA V thread where we were arguing with Seppli about bloody fucking plane controls.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mbdoeden

@mbdoeden said:

Fun? Yes.

S'thupper Serial? Nah.

I dont know, wouldnt you be interested in seeing a genuine top ten list created by the community? I would

Oh, I would for sure, but I'm not gonna say we need to start this over. The way this vote is happening now is the best given the time and resources allotted.

Nothing stops this train.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@wemibelec90 said:

Well, I mean this guy

@hailinel said:

dislikes it more than I do. Though, both games feature cavalier mass murderers, it's just that Far Cry 3's cavalier mass murderer both acknowledges his new found hobby and lives in a worthwhile game.

I distinctly remember you, Hailinel, saying that your interest in Uncharted could be measured in the negatives in that GTA V thread where we were arguing with Seppli about bloody fucking plane controls.

Yeah, I did say that. I really never did go for the Uncharted series at all. I mean, yes, they have very cinematic set-pieces, but if that's the core strength of your game, and you're making a shooter and not, say, Heavy Rain, I think you've done something wrong.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I really like Far Cry 3 but.... Uncharted 2 is one of the best games ever made. It's no contest, really.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Uncharted 2. No contest. While I believe Far Cry 3 to be one of the greatest games of 2012, I didn't think it was #1.

Uncharted 2 was definitely the best game of 2009, but that alone doesn't qualify it for GOTG. At the time, it was essentially the near perfection of the third-person action game. What that game did with pacing, cinematics, and setpieces set a high bar that many, many developers of games today are still trying to raise.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Sooty

Far Cry 3 has far better gameplay but everything else is pretty bad.

and Far Cry 2 is one of the worst games I've played this generation What a stinking pile of shit that game was.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

@ravenlight said:

Far Cry 3 < Uncharted 2 < Far Cry 2

Hear, hear!

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 2 was great, but the end was really bad. Everything became bullet spongey. I have to give this one to Far Cry 3

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gotta give this to uncharted 2

Loading Video...

just watch this and your good on far cry 3.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 2, not even close. Come on.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RonGalaxy

@ares42 said:

@naru_joe93: It's already happening in another thread.

I know of that one. I think it's too complicated for it's own good, and as a result not as many people participated. Having people make top ten lists and then scoring the games from 1-10 is insane. Doesnt really matter, I guess. I'd make my own, but I (and the moderators) are afraid folks will be burned out on gotg threads

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm starting to think these polls are rigged

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are very few games that I would put up there with Uncharted 2, and Far Cry 3 is not one of them.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 2 is a really good game, but Far Cry 3 is more fun to play. I like open-world stuff a hell of a lot and Far Cry 3 did that better than almost anyone.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the way Farcry 3 played, but Uncharted 2 was a much better game overall.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far Cry 3 completely falls apart, in story and gameplay, when Vaas dies about half way or two thirds of the way through so I vote for Uncharted 2. But man those first few hours of Far Cry 3 are really cool. Vaas was really cool.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I love the Uncharted series, but if Far Cry 3 hadn't included a second island, I might have voted for it. Both the story and the gameplay felt like a drag once you reached that second island. So Uncharted 2 gets my vote.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

This is one of those where I kinda don't like either. But Uncharted was way more entertaining to watch as an LP then I ever think Far Cry could be. Sooooooooo.

Best movie goes to UC2.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vanick

Uncharted 2 was the main reason I wanted to get a PS3 in the first place.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While U2 had the better story, it was kind of bland to actually play. Whereas I had fun playing FC3.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 2 dfined this generation for me and in terms of story telling it was exactly what I wanted from this generation.

Chuncho_Munos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted had the story, Far cry had the gameplay, depends which you prefer, personally for me Far cry's gameplay was better than Uncharted's story.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember that bit in Uncharted 2 when you're driving away in a broken ass jeep away from an army of jeep with turrets in a Nepalese snowy-mountain and your jeep catches on fire and you have to jump from your jeep off a mountain ledge and onto another jeep, only to be bombarded by more jeeps and then at the end of it fight a tank one on one? Yeah, Uncharted 2 is pretty awesome.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#48  Edited By armaan8014

FAR CRY 3 FAR CRY 3!!! ARRRGHHH!

Why did it have to come against uncharted ;_; I really wanted FC3 to win. Dammit

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@zero_ said:

Remember that bit in Uncharted 2 when you're driving away in a broken ass jeep away from an army of jeep with turrets in a Nepalese snowy-mountain and your jeep catches on fire and you have to jump from your jeep off a mountain ledge and onto another jeep, only to be bombarded by more jeeps and then at the end of it fight a tank one on one? Yeah, Uncharted 2 is pretty awesome.

Are you talking about Far cry? :/

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Uncharted 2 takes this one for me, I cant not vote for Nathan Drake.