Have you replaced your Beastcast void?

• 86 results
harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Have any of you guys filled that Beastcast void and or that 2 hour space in your podcast Friday? Started the minnmax today. Seems okay.

What I have noticed is I could fill 2 or 3 podcasts in the time beastcast took. Its weird and annoying and my list is done then I start listening to music or god forbid the world. .

mackdack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fire Escape Podcast for me.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same, Fire Escape podcast is great, Merry, Dan and Mike are doing a great job.

voltan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Waypoint Radio and Triple Click.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By finstern

The podcasts I've listened to the past 10 - 15 years have been:

Bombcast

Beastcast

Idle Thumbs

Important If True (a short lived gem)

Tested (First couple of years)

Techpod (On and off)

Conan (On and off)

Bill Burr (On and off)

Smartless (On and off)

WTFPod (On and off)

Bombcast was my absolute favorite but Beastcast quickly overtook it once Austin joined and stayed there ever since. I've tried to get into a few other podcasts but it's been very difficult

I tried Fire Escape and it's ok so far. Big early bombcast vibes, but I feel they need a 4th... slightly more grounded person to level it out a bit, also Mike for the love of god no more baby voice 😂

I'm hoping, for purely selfish reasons that Vinny starts a gaming / woodworking / hobby / paint drying podcast some time soon, but until then, I've been rewatching Star Trek Voyager with Garrett Wang and Robert Duncan McNeill's (Ensign Kim and Lietenant Paris on the show) podcast The Delta Flyers

Keeping an eye on this thread for other gaming suggestions though!

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More music, more work.

Avatar image for recessivegenesimmons
RecessiveGeneSimmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recommend folks check out The Crate and Crowbar. Its hosts are RockPaperShotgun/PCG alum and the creators of Heat Signature, Gunpoint, and A Monsters Expedition, to name a few. It's (mostly) PC-focused, and the hosts aren't always seeking out the newest games, but they have some of the most focused and insightful analysis of how games play of any podcast. They're also quite witty!

EDIT: If folks are looking for non-gaming pods, I strongly recommend TRASHFUTURE

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I initially sought out a replacement, and then quickly stopped when I realized that I didn't really need another video game podcast in my life. If anything I swapped the Beastcast for This Paranormal Life, though that one typically clocks in at less than an hour.

Otherwise my replacements are music and Major League Baseball. I've been weirdly into baseball this year after over a decade of not giving a damn. *shrug*

mackdack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also recommend MinnMax

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started watching Hololive before it happened, so now i just watch more Hololive.

No Caption Provided
Argentaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Behind the Bastards and Ballin' Out Super took up that audio real estate for me.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knowledge Fight has been my Friday morning podcast for a minute now so it’s been fine.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I've been watching Play, Watch, Listen a lot recently. Staring Alanah Pearce, Troy Baker, Austin Wintory, and Mike Bithel. A lot of hard-hitting video game discussions...when they're not on some wild tangent. Very Beastcast-like, and it comes out every Friday too!

Ryan3370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ryan3370

Waypoint radio and rebel fm for me. If I have a ridiculous amount of time, castle super beast because it's like 3 hours. Sometimes IGN's game scoop because they always do a video game 20 questions segment which is fun to play along with. Minnmax is ok but it feels like half of it is pandering to patreon backers

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

more music, fire escape, and minn max are getting it done for me.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I haven't intentionally looked for a replacement, but it just sort of worked out that Fire Escape started at this time. I do love how long it is, but wish it was weekly instead of biweekly. They all work full-time and do other stuff so I get why it's only every other week.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I replaced it with Smartless. Really like that podcast.

nateandrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

Still undecided if I’m into Fire Escape, so for now the Beastcast void has given me more time to dip into Shift+F1 and Tech Pod. If anything it feels nice to expand the podcast subject matter a bit.

umryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MinnMax! Ben Hanson is great and will occasionally reference giant bomb. Worth checking out if you're unfamiliar with their work.

dwerkmd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still undecided if I’m into Fire Escape, so for now the Beastcast void has given me more time to dip into Shift+F1 and Tech Pod. If anything it feels nice to expand the podcast subject matter a bit.

In the same boat on Fire Escape. I like all three of them and the show has a positive friend vibe. My problems are that the money hustle from Dan always feels a little gross to me and Mike's version of hyper is not complimented by Danisms.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By Humanity

A little bit of Waypoint and a little bit of Fire Escape. I’ve tried to get back into Triple Click after genuinely liking their previous pod but their new format doesn’t really click with me as I prefer more contemporary game discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa
deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fire Escape and the new premium Waypoint pod (good timing). Tried MinnMax, but it's a little dry for me.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

yes and no . i'll be listening to fire escape and i'm interested in the new premium waypoint stuff ( tho i honestly really have a hard to justifying the cost atm even tho i wanna support them). i've been watching alot more live streams from aavak than i normally do ( a YT/twitch streamer i've been following a few yrs) but honestly nothing exactly will fill in the void that is vinny and alex missing from my thursday/fridays exactly the same way and i guess thats fine for a bit , its still fresh and theoretically its more time i can just game vs podcast game. i mean it hasn't even been a month and the news really put me in a funk that i didn't get out of till this past week honestly so ehh thats a thing, now i'm 'behind' on my gaming

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Trying Fire Escape out, it's fun so far. If they did one every single week that was 3.5+ hours long I probably wouldn't have time to listen to them but once every two weeks or so works out well.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shoutout to the Duckfeed guys and Watch Out For Fireballs. It’s nice having a deep dive games podcast to offset the more new release focused casts like the Bombcast and WPR.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

One can’t just simply replace The Greatest Podcast in The Universe 😅

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Fire Escape has been fantastic so far, Waypoint just launched a premium service that will mean more content coming out of them, and I'll also back @recessivegenesimmons's shout-out for Crate & Crowbar, which is a fantastic UK pod with a bunch of good voices that covers a lot of things including tons of smaller games. Outside of games Shift+F1 continues to be excellent as well, and my backlog on Friends At The Table (roleplaying podcast headed by Austin) is ever increasing but it's absolutely worth your time if you're interested in that sort of dynamic storytelling.

I definitely miss the Beastcast (and Hotspot) - they're irreplaceable - but if anything can be considered a silver lining it's nice to have a bit more time for all the other podcasts in my docket, I guess.

BlueFluffyDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have filled the void with 'A More Civilised Age' which was the podcast Austin mentioned during the final Beastcast, it is for the Star Wars people out there as it covers The prequels and The Clone Wars. I know that the prequels are unpopular with majority Star Wars fans, but as someone who has never watched The Clone Wars TV show this podcast is really great for the watch a long aspect, it's smart and funny and everyone on it is delightful.

When it comes to video games specifically, I'm going to echo everyone else with the Fire Escape Pod. Like some others here, I also don't know if I love it, but I definitely like it, so that's enough for me. It also helps that it is very long, definitely a lot to listen too.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I did check out the two first episodes of "Fire Escape Cast", and while I like all three on there I have put off listening to the third episode... I never did that with the Beastcast. Might be something about the complete lack of structure? And I feel they spend way too much time on everything. I am all for long podcasts (five star runtime) but something kinda felt off. I'll probably rather revisit it when I run out of audiobooks, which is what I have used more as a replacement.

Because of all the podcasts I listen to I frequently spent weeks on medium length audiobooks. I mostly listen to stuff on my commute, which is only 1.5 hours combined a day, and here and there when taking walks and doing chores. So the end of the Beastcast and Hotspot really freed up some time there.
I also listen to "Friends at the Table" and "A more Civilized Age", so I got plenty of hours to listen to. Also have to pick up "Old Gods of Appalachia" again soon, haven't listened to season 2 yet. But I feel the Beastcast-shaped hole in my heart every friday still, and will for a long time I think.

StormTrippin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing is the same but I've been known to enjoy Wapoint. A non gaming one I like is "Black Box Down".

lylebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've been catching up on the Bonfireside Chat backcatalog (a podcast focused on Souls games from the Duckfeed team mentioned above). It's different from the Beastcast but scratches a lot of the same itches for me. May start listening to their Watch Out for Fireballs to help fill that void too.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beastcast was my Saturday morning walk podcast, but have been getting more into actual play podcasts (Friends at the Table, Not Another DND Podcast) and catching up on Brad and Will's Techpod.

That said very much miss the Beastcast, and really haven't found an equivalent as of yet.

Pnutz83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pnutz83

Fire escape for me. Helps that the episodes are close to four hours long too.

sizzlerxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found out besties is no longer a spotify exclusive when searching for a replacement. A shorter pod, but love them boys.

Dr_Mel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To replace Beastcast? I still don't have a gaming podcast that's been able to replicate it. Bombcast is still bombcast as far as I'm concerned, Jeff G and B are doing great, Jan is becoming a real presence more than ever, Jason and Rorie, too.

I still listen to 8-4 (also hosted on this site) and that's gotta be one of my longest running podcasts now. I was with them back when they were hosted on 1-Up and before I found Giant Bomb.

I didn't really get into the groove with any other gaming news podcasts, despite trying. Waypoint, MinnMax and others people suggested just don't do it for me. Waypoint is skewed just a tad too young for me, and MinnMax feels like IGN-lite, it's way too "we wanna know what YOU think!" for me in a way that totally doesn't appeal. Those are both great shows, but I'm not really a millenial and I super don't want to know what "gamers" have to say about almost anything. That's why Giant Bomb was such a good fit for me. Older hosts who share my taste in humor who are just there to give us their opinions and experiences and be funny, kind, people along the way. I just don't know that I'll get another show that does it.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NameRedacted

Play, Watch, Listen - It's fantastic! (especially when Troy Baker isn't monopolizing the conversation / up his own ass... which is, sadly, most of the time). I absolutely love getting to hear perspectives / stories from Austin Wintry (composer), Mike Bithell (video game director / creator), and Alannah Pearce (currently a writer for Sony Santa Monica) makes for a good MC for the pod.

I HIGHLY recommend this podcast! I've been listening to this before the Beastcast called it quits and have gone back through the series several times during COVID.

Fire Escape Pod - Not so much a video game podcast as it is an excuse for Dan, Mike, and Mary to monetize getting REALLY DRUNK over a Skype call and have long, unstructured (and often rambling) discussions. It reminds me of going out for drinks with friends, only your sober and their antics and anecdotes become steadily more annoying / less charming the drunker they get.

It's VERY hit or miss. It's biweekly release schedule works in its favor as it usually takes that long for me to want to listen to it again. I don't listen to episodes again once finished.

Cynically, I don't know why this pod exists, besides trying to cash in on the parasocial aspects of former video game personalities.

Waypoint Radio - It's good; I mostly listen for Austin and Patrick. It's easily the closest to what the Beastcast was / used to be, in both structure and discussion.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

Besties - I really like this pod. I'm a long-time MBMBAM & TAZ fan, so a video game podcast with Justin, Griffin, Russ, and Chris is up my alley.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

Tl;dr: I still miss the Beastcast. I miss Vinny & Alex. I haven't found anything that replaces the Beastcast.

Avatar image for davesavedtheday
davesavedtheday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of nowhere, I began listening to Therapy Gecko and it has given me the goofiness that I miss.

Groovemancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I was listening to the Beastcast weekly for the past few years since around the time Dan joined all the way up until Abby left, which was pretty much my last episode, other than the final "reunion" style episode. Was just trying to cut back on distractions while working from home.

For "replacements" I picked up "Play, Watch, Listen" late last summer and it's been my weekend morning/afternoon listen which has been nice. I've also been into "Fire Escape Cast" just listening to it while playing games on the weekend.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For manic energy, I guess Fire Escape? Only heard the first ep.

As a general game podcast later in the week, gotta rep Minnmax. Ex-Game Informer folks that are a lot of fun, real positive and a great community.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beastcast was my favourite podcast along with Waypoint Radio, so I don't really know if there is a good replacement. Fire Escape is fun, but that's definitely not it. Fire Escape is a complete trainwreck of a podcast, mostly in a good way although the farting and burping definitely is not for me.

Hyped for Waypoint+ though.

ps. bring back Important if True, Valve you cowards.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A More Civilized Age has been fantastic. Especially cause I watched the Clone Wars in the last few months, and it's still relatively fresh in my mind.

But yeah, it's hard to replace the Beastcast.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There really isn't any other podcast I know of that can replace it. I listen to Comedy Bang Bang more since the Beastcast ended, but mostly I'm binging TV to replace that "gaming-and-listening-to-Beastcast" block of my week. Currently on season 6 of True Blood and I don't recommend it but also I can't stop watching.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm enjoying Fire Escape but I find that all the podcasts I listen to now are released at the start of the week so I end up alternating between having a stacked week or nothing from Thursday-Monday. The Beastcast fit perfectly as a weekend show for me.

I wasn't feeling Besties and Minnmax didn't hold my attention. Waypoint is fine depending on the episode but I rarely feel compelled to listen to it. What I would actually want at this point are more comedy focused shows but ones that I like seem even more difficult to find.

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fucking love Fire Escape. Really missed regularly hearing from Dan and Mahardy has made me laugh more than any recent podcast outside of Conan.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With my new job I have less time for podcasts. So nope.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaqen_hghar: I like Fire Escape, but it's lack of structure makes it drag a bit. It's funny, because I would always crave more random chatter and tangents on the Bombcast/Beastcast, but Fire Escape is all random chatter and tangents, but it doesn't hit for me. I think part of the problem is they don't really know when to pull out or away from a topic/bit, so things just go longer then they should.

With that said, I'll keep checking in on it, but I doubt I'll listen through every week.

Eelvac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Minnmax, waypoint, and fire escape.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brad & Will Made a Tech Pod and Fire Escape are my newest (and kinda only) additions, I guess. Not exactly friday podcasts, but I also rarely ever listened to all of Beastcast on a friday.