Hey, we're hiring and stuff!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@darkest4 said:

I really hope they don't just hire someone because they are friends of the guys rather than they are the best fit for the job.I wish people would stop just naming any friend of giantbomb, honestly, would be interested to see someone new or someone who hasn't had much association with Giantbomb in the past, so it feels like they were really hired on merit rather than because they were friends with the right people.

Gonna be honest, as much as it "makes sense" for Dan Ryckert to get the gig like the latest rumor implies, I agree with this dude. I'm not saying that Dan isn't qualified, hasn't paid his dues, isn't funny enough, shouldn't be there because he's just another white dude, whatever; I just know that the job market today is all about being friends with the right people, and that'd be a bummer if it extended to Giant Bomb too. Why even bother with the whole hiring process, getting so many people to apply, when you're just gonna go with a friend?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

ughh its not sexist to say you would want more diverse group or a woman. people on this board get so offended sometimes when someone says they might want a woman. guys on this baord need to stop acting like there is some war against them.

back on topic i like dan and hell fit right in if its true. we will know soon enough.

iAchilles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1053  Edited By iAchilles

Is there no way GB hired two editors? I feel like Cara will end up on the site somehow.

singing_pigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkest4 said:

I really hope they don't just hire someone because they are friends of the guys rather than they are the best fit for the job.I wish people would stop just naming any friend of giantbomb, honestly, would be interested to see someone new or someone who hasn't had much association with Giantbomb in the past, so it feels like they were really hired on merit rather than because they were friends with the right people.

Gonna be honest, as much as it "makes sense" for Dan Ryckert to get the gig like the latest rumor implies, I agree with this dude. I'm not saying that Dan isn't qualified, hasn't paid his dues, isn't funny enough, shouldn't be there because he's just another white dude, whatever; I just know that the job market today is all about being friends with the right people, and that'd be a bummer if it extended to Giant Bomb too. Why even bother with the whole hiring process, getting so many people to apply, when you're just gonna go with a friend?

There's a good reason for the "hire a friend" trend though. In any workplace it's important that whoever you hire is somebody that you know will fit into the corporate culture well. One shortcut to determine that is if you hire somebody you're already friends with, thus you already know you get along with them. Hiring a friend is not at all a magic bullet but it definitely raises your chances. Of course the importance placed on personality will differ from company to company, but at Giant Bomb it's of critical importance. So it makes sense for them to go to friends first.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#1055 fisk0  Moderator

How could there be so many game industry people starting new jobs in the San Francisco area at the same time?

Isn't pretty much all American games press based in SF?

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive noticed that a lot of people are throwing out known names in the industry as people who will fill the open positions. Why would it be so bad if it was a complete unknown? Id love to see someone young, and enthusiastic about games, who can establish themselves for the long haul.

Ive always looked at established people as hard to change, and if they got some young talent, they could essentially mold them to what they would want to get out of the individual.

Just a thought.

I totally agree. That's what I really liked about the idea of Jared Rosen. He seemed super enthusiastic and funny and like he could really make an identity for himself here. Too bad he didn't apply for the job.

It's just weird seeing the same community of journalists getting passed around from outlet to outlet. Sure, they've got years of invaluable experience, but to have a healthy industry you need to foster young talent as well and give new people a chance to shine.

Though I wouldn't really want them to "mold" a new guy so much as give him the freedom and guidance to let him grow into his own. There's so many new archetypes out there that I wouldn't want to take somebody like Markiplier or Rosen or one of these new bloods and then just force them into the same ol' archetypes. That's how you get stuck with guys still writing reviews in Story/Gameplay/Graphics/Sound/Etc format, you know?

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@whatisdelicious said:

@darkest4 said:

There's a good reason for the "hire a friend" trend though. In any workplace it's important that whoever you hire is somebody that you know will fit into the corporate culture well. One shortcut to determine that is if you hire somebody you're already friends with, thus you already know you get along with them. Hiring a friend is not at all a magic bullet but it definitely raises your chances. Of course the importance placed on personality will differ from company to company, but at Giant Bomb it's of critical importance. So it makes sense for them to go to friends first.

Plus with the loss of Ryan and Vinny, they kind of need another familiar face.

graboids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#1058  Edited By graboids

I wont celebrate until they say who it is, but I hope its Dan, he is perfect for the site.

No Caption Provided

ftrevelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's official, the new senior editor is Mr. John Carmack!

He got fed up with the whole ZenyMax/Oculus mess and decided to do something else with his life.

From now on we'll have Quick Looks of game engines! On UPF he'll send rockets TO THE MOON! For Encyclopaedia Bombastica he'll bad mouth each and every game ever touched by John Romero!

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1060  Edited By saddlebrown

@singing_pigs: Oh, I mean, I completely get the reason behind it. That's exactly how I got my current job. Bringing in a guy like Ryckert makes total sense. He's proven. The community loves him. The crew loves him. But all the same, what a waste of a hiring process. Like you said, it's a shortcut. They could've spent more time and plucked a relative unknown who fits in with the crew and had someone that will be forever seen as a Giant Bomb guy rather than Ryckert being a Game Informer guy moving to Giant Bomb, or McElroy being a Joystiq guy moving to Polygon to Giant Bomb. Honestly, to me, Patrick still kind of feels like a 1UP guy because he was fresh out of college when he got that gig and that's where I was introduced to him. He was an unknown then and built an identity there. It was a good bet, hiring him. He's so far removed from 1UP and MTV that he's like 80% Giant Bomb to me, but I'll always have a part of me that identifies him as 1UP.

Ryckert is a safe choice that makes 110% sense (if true). And I don't mean "safe" in a bad way like how people talk about Call of Duty or the Spider-Man reboot. I'll be happy if it's Ryckert; he's a funny dude. But it just bums me out in the same way that a lot of people are gonna be bummed if it's just another white dude. Missed opportunity.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Carmack Makes You Feel Stupid, a brand new segment

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1062  Edited By saddlebrown

@ftrevelin said:

He got fed up with the whole ZenyMax/Oculus mess and decided to do something else with his life.

From now on we'll have Quick Looks of game engines! On UPF he'll send rockets TO THE MOON! For Encyclopaedia Bombastica he'll bad mouth each and every game ever touched by John Romero!

John Carmack Makes You Feel Stupid, a brand new segment

Oh god can this please actually happen?

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

it looks like he deleted it but Alex tweeted something earlier in the vein of "I hope Dan's new employer lets him do the wrestling podcast still".

seems a little on the nose to me. :p

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they don't announce who it is on UPF I will lose my shit. STOP TEASING IT'S ANNOYING!!!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lordandrew said:
@leebmx said:

But people can't make up wild random theories based of Twitter and random internet posts about people they have never heard of....

I have very compelling evidence that Giant Bomb is going to hire Video_Game_King.

Please Anyone..hell Anything but him.

Agreed.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1066 FinalDasa  Moderator

@pyrodactyl: Wait, what teasing? They announced they were hiring, then announced they found someone, and have only said this person will start in about a month. Where is the teasing? If anything the speculation and "detective" work is causing everyone else to go a little crazy. Have fun with it, whoever it is we'll find out eventually.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wooooh!!! New blood!!!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1068  Edited By ripelivejam

we should never find out, even after he/she is hired. just have them in the shadows with distorted voice, Banksy style, on UPF.

(hire ZMF)

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1069  Edited By SharkEthic

@ghostiet said:

@evilsbane said:

@lordandrew said:
@leebmx said:

But people can't make up wild random theories based of Twitter and random internet posts about people they have never heard of....

I have very compelling evidence that Giant Bomb is going to hire Video_Game_King.

Agreed.

No Caption Provided

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

@evilsbane said:

@lordandrew said:
@leebmx said:

Agreed.

That's racist.

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still holding out hope for that O'Dwyer kid.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evanfavreau: Me too. Dan's great, but it'll just be fucking embarrassing if the site ends up being eight white guys after this round of hiring.

Yeah it'll be real embarrassing. *rolls eyes*. I love this small contingent of anti white people. Dan would be a fantastic fit. You pick who fits best. You don't go for racial diversity/gender just for the sake of broadening your staff.

danryckert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1074 danryckert  Staff

Is this position still open?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa: Saying you've hired someone and watching for a week as people go insane is advanced teasing. You might even call it trolling at this point.

iAchilles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UnInvincible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You tell us.

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danryckert said:

I'm sorry, I think it has been filled already. You should check with this Dan Ryckert fellow everyone seems to be speculating about and see if he knows anything...

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@danryckert said:

I'm just going to sit back now and watch as shit starts to get crazy

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@elwoodan said:

it looks like he deleted it but Alex tweeted something earlier in the vein of "I hope Dan's new employer lets him do the wrestling podcast still".

Dan Ryckert would be great! Holy shit.

http://media.rockstargames.com/rockstargames/img/global/news/upload/lanoire_writer_beforeduringafter.jpg

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@fisk0 said:

@hunter5024 said:

How could there be so many game industry people starting new jobs in the San Francisco area at the same time?

Isn't pretty much all American games press based in SF?

I think ever since the rise of gaming blogs news outlets have been a lot less centralized. A lot of the big ones are in San Francisco, but it's still funny to see so many people announcing new jobs in such a short amount of time.

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:

@elwoodan said:

Dan Ryckert would be great! Holy shit.

http://media.rockstargames.com/rockstargames/img/global/news/upload/lanoire_writer_beforeduringafter.jpg

Loading Video...

steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@elwoodan said:

Are you sure it was Alex? Because Jeff made that same tweet.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danryckert said:

I'm just going to sit back now and watch as shit starts to get crazy

If it's anything like his "performance" at PAX Royal Rumble, prepare for some disappointment.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the question here is: will Dan Ryckert be satisfied with an associate editor position?

Worst case scenario: They hire two new people, one of them is Dan- and then Dan replaces Jeff as the head honcho, because Jeff is fucking fed up with all them MEETINGZZ

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl said:

@finaldasa: Saying you've hired someone and watching for a week as people go insane is advanced teasing. You might even call it trolling at this point.

That's sort of common practice in business. Heck, it might even be CBSi policy. There's more people involved in the hiring process here than just the Giant Bomb guys; say, the CBSi HR department might have to get all of their ducks in a row first before anything can be "official."

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl said:

That's sort of common practice in business. Heck, it might even be CBSi policy. There's more people involved in the hiring process here than just the Giant Bomb guys; say, the CBSi HR department might have to get all of their ducks in a row first before anything can be "official."

The trolling part is when you say you hired someone and don't say who as people go on a mad hunt. If you can't announce who it is then shut up until you can.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1089 FinalDasa  Moderator

The people going insane part is out of their hands. They hired someone and now that person is getting ready to start up their new job. This doesn't happen overnight. Let them choose how they run their website and there is no real reason to freak out and go crazy over any of it. Just have fun speculating.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@pyrodactyl said:

The people going insane part is out of their hands. They hired someone and now that person is getting ready to start up their new job. This doesn't happen overnight. Let them choose how they run their website and there is no real reason to freak out and go crazy over any of it. Just have fun speculating.

WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO BE REASONABLE ABOUT THIS, MAN, WAS IT YOU? THEY HIRED YOU TOO DIDN'T THEY? THEY HIRED EVERYBODY!!?!!!!?!???!?!?!?!?!

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@finaldasa said:

@pyrodactyl said:

WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO BE REASONABLE ABOUT THIS, MAN, WAS IT YOU? THEY HIRED YOU TOO DIDN'T THEY? THEY HIRED EVERYBODY!!?!!!!?!???!?!?!?!?!

I'm the new hire.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@cloudymusic said:

@pyrodactyl said:

The trolling part is when you say you hired someone and don't say who as people go on a mad hunt. If you can't announce who it is then shut up until you can.

People have been speculating the minute that the Senior Editor position said "requisition closed" and would have been even if no one at Giantbomb had slightly hinted that they had someone already. It's all Twitter tweets and teasing, all part of the buildup to telling us who it is.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm obviously the new higher B-)

MaxOpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

The job title talk is nuts. I of course know little of what REALLY goes on at the office, but I don't think the titles mean that much. "associate editor" or whatever it was, just means "guy who knows about videos games, and is comfortable being filmed".

Finding the "right man for the job", is probarly not about finding the dude who's best at punctuation and spell check, but rather the dude who's the most fun to have around.

greebman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm obviously the new higher B-)

I'm the highest

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@leebmx:

I suppose the problem I had with your comment was the idea that GB were doing something wrong if they hired another white, straight, male when we don't have much idea of the process

Apologies, that may have been poorly phrased on my part. I meant doing something wrong as in potentially making a mistake, not that they're purposefully discriminating against women or minorities. I think the site would be better if it were more diverse, which is why I'm angling for it so hard.

makes sense...totally agree with you.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1097  Edited By joshwent

@maxopower said:

Finding the "right man for the job", is probarly not about finding the dude who's best at punctuation and spell check, but rather the dude who's the most fun to have around.

I think it's definitely not the dude who's best at punctuation and spell check... considering they hired Patrick. Hey-o!

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's without a doubt Jack Tretton

sprode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1099  Edited By sprode

As much as I'd miss Dan at GI, I'd still get Dan here...

'Murica pants!

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH SHIT, SON! ZENIMAX IS GOING TO STRAIGHT MERC GIANT BOMB WEST!