Hey, we're hiring and stuff!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Datajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1701  Edited By Datajack

@mb: Would be interesting to see in that new thread a bit of a summary of the body of work they've both done, for those of us whom are unfamiliar with their background portfolio.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#1702  Edited By mike

@datajack said:

@mb: Would be interesting to see in that new thread a bit of a summary of the body of work they've both done, for those of us whom are unfamiliar with their background portfolio.

Yeah that would be great! Sadly I'm not familiar enough with either one of the new guys to do it. I'm sure Rorie or Jeff is writing something up as we speak, or at least planning to. It would be totally fine if someone from the community that is familiar with Dan & Jason wanted to do it, though.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

@mb said:

@marc said:

Holy lord what has this thread turned into? Jeff hired the best people for the job. They just happen to be white dudes. It is not a big deal. If it were a woman or someone not white who were most qualified for the job, I'm sure they would have gotten it. People who make a big deal about these things are half of the damn problem.

Evidently you're not allowed to hire the best people for the job if those people are white males. That's insensitive and does not support diversity!

That's a pretty dumb misrepresentation of what people are unhappy about. No one is saying Dan and Jason aren't qualified and that they won't work well on the site. From what I've seen (heard, technically) of Dan on the Powerbombcast he seems like a cool guy, but you're treating 'diversity' and 'qualifications' as though they're two ends of the same axis which is supremely fucked up.

e: To be extra blatantly clear, no one is saying that Jeff is some racist, sexist monster for doing this. He's a great guy and I'm sure he made his choices based on who he thought would work best. I haven't even seen anyone angry about this, just kinda sad because this is the same sort of thing that happens all the time.

To be honest someone should say all that stuff about Jeff. Or did Patrick forgot about his crusade when its closer to home? Its stupid and untrue but that would be right thing to do after going after everyone else about everything that could be viewed as racist/sexist. Maybe thats just me.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listening to the new Bombcast... super hyped for the future of the site now. Both the West Coast guys and Vinny and Alex in New York, along with lone Klip Klop.

chubbs21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have much respect for Dan and everything he does. I'm super happy to see him here. Already excited to see his some articles from him.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mb said:

If someone were to start a new topic welcoming the new guys to the fold, maybe we could put all this behind us and finally move forward. I just hope the welcome topic isn't turned into some kind of platform to argue about Giant Bomb's hiring decisions or toss out a bunch of backhanded insults against the new guys. Anyone new is going to have a big enough uphill battle as it is just getting acclimated to everything.

Considering your comments just now about potentially locking a non-staff thread for addressing similar issues which you may disagree with and feel like mocking, I can understand some hesitance from duders to make a separate non-staff topic welcoming the new guys to the fold.

When you said this thread "would have been" locked, you indicated that staff-created threads like this are apparently the only safe haven from quieting those with any potential reservations about the new hires. I find it hard to believe that is the genuine policy of the moderators or staff.

I agree that Dan and Jason have a stiff enough challenge as it is; I've been around here long enough to be concerned about the eventual "The new guys are ruining things!" threads and comments. But members should feel that they can express reservations and concerns about the selection without fearing that they will just have their concerns mocked or threads locked.

Despite having any reservations, I welcome them with open arms. They are part of this community now, and I'm glad they're here. I hope they do great. Yet, if I didn't feel quite so excited, I would hope I would be able to freely express that without fear of moderators that might not feel the same way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mb said:

@datajack said:

Yeah that would be great! Sadly I'm not familiar enough with either one of the new guys to do it. I'm sure Rorie or Jeff is writing something up as we speak, or at least planning to. It would be totally fine if someone from the community that is familiar with Dan & Jason wanted to do it, though.

I was going to, but the "start a new topic" button takes me to a blank, white page. It'd be nice to set this thread and hopefully the diversity arguments behind us - as well as getting the community familiar with the new guys' past work. Personally, I have no idea what they were up to up until now, besides knowing that they're quite qualified for the jobs they filled.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Well shit, I'm going to have to learn how to spell Oestreicher...

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1709  Edited By mike

@truthtellah: The thread *would* have been closed pages and pages ago if it wasn't started by Rorie due to all kinds of off topic rants and arguing, it has nothing to do with my opinion on what is being said by some people.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@datajack said:

I was going to, but the "start a new topic" button takes me to a blank, white page. It'd be nice to set this thread and hopefully the diversity arguments behind us - as well as getting the community familiar with the new guys' past work. Personally, I have no idea what they were up to up until now, besides knowing that they're quite qualified for the jobs they filled.

If you go to General (or any other forum besides the new topics feed) you'll be able to start a new thread from there. It's a known bug that is affecting almost everyone right now.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@ramprat said:

I would rather have them hire someone who they are comfortable with and not because they need to fill a quota.

This kind of language doesn't help things :|. (Also, I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to say that the staff is uncomfortable around minorities, but just alerting you to that potential faux pas.)

ramprat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: To be fair, this whole thread seem to be all doom and gloom with who they should hire.

Avatar image for deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5
deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramprat said:

I would rather have them hire someone who they are comfortable with and not because they need to fill a quota.

This kind of language doesn't help things :|. (Also, I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to say that the staff is uncomfortable around minorities, but just alerting you to that potential faux pas.)

I don't think anyone would infer that. Chill out.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1714  Edited By HerbieBug

Thread concluded. Goal fulfilled. Lock it down! :D

Loading Video...

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1715  Edited By TruthTellah
@mb said:

@truthtellah: The thread *would* have been closed pages and pages ago if it wasn't started by Rorie due to all kinds of off topic rants and arguing, it has nothing to do with my opinion on what is being said by some people.

Thanks for clarifying, @mb. It seemed like you were pretty much implying that it was the mentions of diversity(which weren't even common in the last few pages of silliness) when you responded twice to people complaining very clearly about those of us talking about a desire for diversity.

Along with your comment mocking those who might dare to bring up diversity and threatening a member objecting to your dismissal of her concerns, I think it's reasonable for people to conclude you were more bothered by talk of diversity than any off topic ranting.

If you're saying that's not the case, that's great, but I think you can understand how your responses could easily suggest otherwise.

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad we didn't get a female new hire. I am disappoint.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck guys, yes there are some people who will complain anytime a white person gets a job but just talking about having another perspective isn't bad thing. People take way too much offense from this stuff.

Can we just close this thread and get a positive welcome thread going?

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

For those similarly dejected that the diversity battle was lost, Patrick's Twitter fav's are somewhat comforting. At least someone's listening, which is about all I can ask for at this point.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1720  Edited By GaspoweR

@herbiebug said:

Thread concluded. Goal fulfilled. Lock it down! :D

Loading Video...

May this be the last thing BEFORE THE LOCKDOWN

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1721  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Well, the intense, apocalyptic anger flowing through twitter right now makes me glad my internet will soon be shut off for the forseeable being.

I totally understand the anger and frustration people feel because of being mislead, but I just can't handle half of my twitter feed boiling with negativity.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It was fun watching this unfold, layer by layer it kept escalating. I was glad I even got an application in, first time since graduating I really went full steam toward a job/career! Wouldn't mind a second chance, though! (maybe even the BEAST will open its gates...)

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck all if this BULLSHIT. Them dudes are alright!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I've closed this thread because it has the old forum problem of "clicking on the last topic page link doesn't actually take you there." There's a new thread for this over here.